AMD VS Intel, whats the difference?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

creaturemagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 creaturemagic
Member since 2010 • 641 Posts
So I've heard a lot about AMD being cheaper but not as good at gaming as Intel and I've heard a lot the other way, but for the price it seems you could getter a 'better' (newer version) of AMD for the same price as say an i3. Now I'm seriously wondering, whats the difference? Do they have charts to say how much faster Intel is or something?
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Yes they do, Intel chips have been dominate for a long time already. If you want the best performance from your games or software, then Intel is the way to go.

jonleeprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jonleeprice
Member since 2011 • 1455 Posts

Tbh with you mate whne playing games you wouldnt notice the difference..........ever

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

Tbh with you mate whne playing games you wouldnt notice the difference..........ever

jonleeprice
Some games you will. Since the release of Sandy Bridge, you would be very foolish to buy anything from AMD for a gaming PC (provided a decent budget & provided you didn't already have an AM3 motherboard).
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="jonleeprice"]

C_Rule

Some games you will. Since the release of Sandy Bridge, you would be very foolish to buy anything from AMD for a gaming PC (provided a decent budget & provided you didn't already have an AM3/am3+ motherboard).

fixed for accuracy

to basically describe the two intel offers better preformance amd's cpu's are "good enough" they also offer the superior cpu's if your in the field of IT or if your building a media center (llano ftw!) or if your buying a neybook or -700 dollar laptop

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Once you get every game to run at 60fps or near, the difference dosnt matter.

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

basically u pay for what u get. obviously a $300AU intel will pants a $150 AMD in most cases but u would have to expect that. but as a video editor, that i7 would be the choice, but as a budget gamer playing console ports, the AMD is the choice for value (saving money on CPU can give u more to spend on GPU, compare FX 8150 vs i7 3770)

jonleeprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jonleeprice
Member since 2011 • 1455 Posts

basically u pay for what u get. obviously a $300AU intel will pants a $150 AMD in most cases but u would have to expect that. but as a video editor, that i7 would be the choice, but as a budget gamer playing console ports, the AMD is the choice for value (saving money on CPU can give u more to spend on GPU, compare FX 8150 vs i7 3770)

kungfool69
LOL stupid intel fanboy, you basically say AMD chips of only ok for people on a tight budget and playing console ports??? get over your self you pr|ck, i maxed ALL games when i had my 580 with at least 60fps in most cases alot more, i still max all games except bf3 with my 460 but not as high fps. So many intel fanboys giving AMD a bad name, and making out you can barely run DOOM on one, if you can max all games at well over 60fps why spend double the money to so you can "fit in with the crowd".
Selkc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Selkc
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

yeah AMD is awesome. i max almost everything with my a8 @ 768. battlefield 3 runs ultra textures smooth as glass

muffinduck01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 muffinduck01
Member since 2007 • 317 Posts
AMD is a great option if you;re on a budget. My FX-4100/Radeon HD 6850 combo will run anything and max most things. If you have the money, go for an Intel chip, but don't let the Intel fanboys tell you that AMD chips are just glorified hair brushes.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

AMD is a great option if you;re on a budget. My FX-4100/Radeon HD 6850 combo will run anything and max most things. If you have the money, go for an Intel chip, but don't let the Intel fanboys tell you that AMD chips are just glorified hair brushes.muffinduck01

The budget conscious usually went for AMD. But, with the new Intel Sandy Bridge Pentiums matching AMD's performance and price points, AMD's on a tight spot.

Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1128 Posts
[QUOTE="kungfool69"]

jonleeprice
LOL stupid intel fanboy, you basically say AMD chips of only ok for people on a tight budget and playing console ports??? get over your self you pr|ck, i maxed ALL games when i had my 580 with at least 60fps in most cases alot more, i still max all games except bf3 with my 460 but not as high fps. So many intel fanboys giving AMD a bad name, and making out you can barely run DOOM on one, if you can max all games at well over 60fps why spend double the money to so you can "fit in with the crowd".

HA hahahahahah LOL You sir do not know what you are talking about. I went from AMD 965@3.8 to Intel i5 2500k@3.3 and sorry to tell you but the difference was night and day. I was an AMD fan boy for the last 10 years but not anymore I will not buy garbage and that is what the AMD FX crap is. I waited for over a year for them to bring out something better than the 956 but no they made something even slower and wanted more money for it. HA Im done with AMD and will pay the 100-200 more for the best. But if Intel was to charge $500 for the 2500k I would have stayed with AMD
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

[QUOTE="muffinduck01"]AMD is a great option if you;re on a budget. My FX-4100/Radeon HD 6850 combo will run anything and max most things. If you have the money, go for an Intel chip, but don't let the Intel fanboys tell you that AMD chips are just glorified hair brushes.jun_aka_pekto

The budget conscious usually went for AMD. But, with the new Intel Sandy Bridge Pentiums matching AMD's performance and price points, AMD's on a tight spot.

The majority of AMD's CPU sales are in the APUs and they couldn't keep up with the demand i.e. manufacturing restricted.

Q1 2012 GPU market

1. Most of AMD's GPU sales are in APUs

2. AMD's GPU sales increased, while the NVIDIA's and Intel's GPU sales decreased.

imageview-1-1.png

AMD's 25 percent of the market share is about the same level as AMD's peak sales during K7/K8 era. AMD Trinity APU would probably create additional problem with supply.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

[QUOTE="muffinduck01"]AMD is a great option if you;re on a budget. My FX-4100/Radeon HD 6850 combo will run anything and max most things. If you have the money, go for an Intel chip, but don't let the Intel fanboys tell you that AMD chips are just glorified hair brushes.jun_aka_pekto

AMD Trinity/2 Module Piledriver (4 threads) is already close enough to 4 threads Sandybridge.

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

AMD 64 X2 bro I still rock it!

Seems like after the x2 series Intel became King :(

AMD 64 was once the champ!

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ionusX

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="muffinduck01"]AMD is a great option if you;re on a budget. My FX-4100/Radeon HD 6850 combo will run anything and max most things. If you have the money, go for an Intel chip, but don't let the Intel fanboys tell you that AMD chips are just glorified hair brushes.ronvalencia

AMD Trinity/2 Module Piledriver (4 threads) is already close enough to 4 threads Sandybridge.

shh people forget its june which is the desktop trinity launch month. on june 26th we will see what 4-core module piledriver can really do. which is why amd board makers are starting to show off fm2 socket mobo's

http://www.techpowerup.com/166974/ECS-Announces-A85F2-A-Deluxe-Motherboard-with-FM2-Socket.html

but the way things are looking piledriver has sandybridges number or will come damn close

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYsedsnkHpk

creaturemagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 creaturemagic
Member since 2010 • 641 Posts
So, could anyone please explain what the Sandy Bridge is? Is it a new budget CPU or is it like even better than i7's?
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ionusX

So, could anyone please explain what the Sandy Bridge is? Is it a new budget CPU or is it like even better than i7's?creaturemagic

intel and amd and other companys use codenames for things because having to renumber things becomes a bit taxing after a while. it also makes them more memorable.

for example the motherboard northbridge for llano apu's is codenamed "hudson" and the phenom-fx series is called "zambezi bulldozer"(oftne referred to as just bulldozer). sandybridge is a new architecture for the core i series

corei3/i5/i7/i7ee gen 1 is known as neahelm (apologize if i butcher the spelling)

core i3/i5/i7/i7ee gen 2 is known as sandy bridge

core i3/i5/i7/i7ee gen 3 is known as ivy bridge

core i3/i5/i7/i7ee gen 4 is known as haswell

this isnt anything new part makers have been using codenames for years.

amd athlon 64 xp was codenamed "las vegas" (believe thats correct)

intel pentium D is codenamed "prescott"

intel core 2 duo e7000 series is codenamed "wolfdale"

amd radeon hd 8000 seires will recieve the family codename "sea islands"

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="muffinduck01"]AMD is a great option if you;re on a budget. My FX-4100/Radeon HD 6850 combo will run anything and max most things. If you have the money, go for an Intel chip, but don't let the Intel fanboys tell you that AMD chips are just glorified hair brushes.ronvalencia

We'll see soon about Trinity. If the Trinity CPUs will better or at least close enough in performance to Intel's lineup and maintain a price advantage, I may yet stay with AMD for my CPUs.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

yeah AMD is awesome. i max almost everything with my a8 @ 768. battlefield 3 runs ultra textures smooth as glass

Selkc
Me too. I am aware that Intel is better, but I didn't really wanna spend the $$, and to be honest I prefer AMD. I wasn't really on a tight budget, I just would rather stick with what's done me good in the past. I have a fx-6100 with 2 IceQ 6870s and I run all my games @ max. That was the key for me, being able to run games at max settings, so why would I spend more to do the same thing? If it starts to struggle later on down the road, then I may decide to check out a Intel processor, but for now I'll stick with AMD.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 godzillavskong

jakes456
Yeah, my son still games on his AMD64 X2 ,which he has paired with a gtx460, and it runs fine. He isn't able to max all his games out, but it does the job on most on medium settings.
jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

godzillavskong

Yeah, my son still games on his AMD64 X2 ,which he has paired with a gtx460, and it runs fine. He isn't able to max all his games out, but it does the job on most on medium settings.

yep that's where I am at right now. Medium on games like Skyrim with decent fps.

Games like Shogun 2 show my computers age though. I play on medium/low and the load times are poor.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 godzillavskong

[QUOTE="godzillavskong"][QUOTE="jakes456"]

jakes456

yep that's where I am at right now. Medium on games like Skyrim with decent fps.

Games like Shogun 2 show my computers age though. I play on medium/low and the load times are poor.

I replaced my other son's Athlonx2 with a Phenomx3, and his performance went up about 45-50%. He has it paired with a 6850. My other son's Athlonx2 is a 4xxx series and I was curious of their overclocking ability? I plan on getting him a new mobo/cpu bundle, probably something like a quad/am3 board combo, but until then I thought about pushing his cpu to the limit. He's got his gtx460 overclocked pretty good and it performs like a champ, so I don't know that he really needs to though.
GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

To be honest there probably isn't much noticable difference, for the average user, between AMD Bulldozer and Intel Sandybridge and Ivybridge, although in terms of numbers the differences can be quite large. I've personally been on the Intel side of the fence since core 2 CPU's came out.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts
I'm not a fanboy or anything (my first ever computer was an AMD). However, Intel seems to be the way to go right now. Prices are about the same, while Intel has really pulled away in the benchmark tests.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 godzillavskong
I'm not a fanboy or anything (my first ever computer was an AMD). However, Intel seems to be the way to go right now. Prices are about the same, while Intel has really pulled away in the benchmark tests.UssjTrunks
Prices are about the same? Are you sure?
Aldouz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 Aldouz
Member since 2008 • 1206 Posts
The difference Obviously PRICE Lolz Intel CPU always always more expensive than AMD CPU Becoz to upgrade your Intel CPU you need to upgrade your Motherboard aswell =P
kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kungfool69

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

ionusX

shh people forget its june which is the desktop trinity launch month. on june 26th we will see what 4-core module piledriver can really do. which is why amd board makers are starting to show off fm2 socket mobo's

http://www.techpowerup.com/166974/ECS-Announces-A85F2-A-Deluxe-Motherboard-with-FM2-Socket.html

but the way things are looking piledriver has sandybridges number or will come damn close

any micro or mint atax FM2 boards coming????? i want an A10 tiny mobo/apu bundle for a media centre (hoping to squeeze into an original xbox case, if not will have to go small PC case)

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ionusX

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]

kungfool69

any micro or mint atax FM2 boards coming????? i want an A10 tiny mobo/apu bundle for a media centre (hoping to squeeze into an original xbox case, if not will have to go small PC case)

nothing like immedeately but i got my ear to the floor listening for the sounds of jetway, biostar or sapphire to take us there

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kungfool69

nothing fancy or expensive, just want the best APU i can get in the smallest mobo i can get. i dont even mind hifing an PSU behind the cabinet instead of trying to squeeze it all in the xbox case.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts

The difference Obviously PRICE Lolz Intel CPU always always more expensive than AMD CPU Becoz to upgrade your Intel CPU you need to upgrade your Motherboard aswell =PAldouz

As do with many AMD chips?

Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpgx

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
My opinion on this, AMD are great if you are on a budget and want a decent Quad Core, however for gaming the performance of Intel is a nice boost over AMD and since Bulldozer is barely a step over the older Phenom II Quads I would recommend Intel. I have an AMD CPU at the moment and I will likely be going to Intel in the future to see what its like over my current AMD build.
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

] shh people forget its june which is the desktop trinity launch month. on june 26th we will see what 4-core module piledriver can really do. which is why amd board makers are starting to show off fm2 socket mobo's

ionusX

Desktop Trinity (Virgo) doesn't launch until Q3 (ie July at the earliest), and no, Piledriver does not come close to Sandy Bridge (i5-2410 being the obvious comparison point).

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#34 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I upgraded from an AMD cpu to an Intel one early this year due to bottlenecks.

Never going back to AMD for pure gaming unless they get close to Intel again.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#35 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="jonleeprice"]

C_Rule

Some games you will. Since the release of Sandy Bridge, you would be very foolish to buy anything from AMD for a gaming PC (provided a decent budget & provided you didn't already have an AM3 motherboard).

I have learned my lesson.:cry:

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 godzillavskong

[QUOTE="C_Rule"][QUOTE="jonleeprice"]

mitu123

I have learned my lesson.:cry:

What would you recommend for a good Intel processor/mobo combo? Something mid-high end range that won't break the bank, but doesn't have to be cheap either. I'm thinking of building another PC for gaming and figured I'd try out some of the Intel components, maybe paired with a Nvidia GPU. My first build was done with little research and I found out later that the bulldozer series is supposed to be weak @ gaming.My first build is a fx-6100 / hd6870s crossfired/8gb ddr3@1600mhz/250gb hard drive/650watt ps. It runs all the games fine but from what I've been reading, intel seems to be the way to go.