AMD Megaton dropped, titan irrelevent, 4GB default

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by darksusperia (6911 posts) -
#2 Posted by sethman410 (2935 posts) -

There is already a thread about this with an earlier review.

In the other thread, the charts clearly showed that Titan performs better and the GTX 780 almost performs as good (and equally in some charts) as R9 290X. So... Titan is still relevant and king.

#3 Edited by darksusperia (6911 posts) -

@sethman410:

Nope, its not. That thread is about who is getting one, Not the release reviews posted today. From Techpowerups (who was the earlier review in the other thread) http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_290X/1.html

The real highlight of AMD's R9 290X is certainly the price. What has been rumored to cost around $700 (and got people excited at that price), will actually retail for $549!

$549 is an amazing price for this card, making it the price/performance king in the high-end segment. NVIDIA's $1000 GTX Titan is completely irrelevant now, even the GTX 780 with its $625 price will be a tough sale.

I think I'd be willing to overlook the power/heat/noise issues for $550; if not, a custom design GTX 780 could be an alternative for a hefty price premium. A single R9 290X will comfortably take you through the latest titles, like Battlefield 4, at resolutions up to and including 2560x1600. Check out our

R9 290X CrossFire review

we also posted today if you need more.

#4 Posted by Alienware_fan (1514 posts) -

oh noes.my wallet is ready.

#5 Edited by redskins26rocs (2674 posts) -

Looks awesome may try to get one in a couple months still deciding if I should just crossfire 7950s, though.

#6 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23498 posts) -

except there is no cuda support

pretty sure most people who bought titans did for work that cuda

3d/computation/adobe

#7 Posted by fatee (300 posts) -

@sethman410:

There is already a thread about this with an earlier review.

In the other thread, the charts clearly showed that Titan performs better and the GTX 780 almost performs as good (and equally in some charts) as R9 290X. So... Titan is still relevant and king.

Wrong again, flanders.

The 290x averages an eight percentile performance increase over the Titan - for nearly half the cost.

#8 Posted by ronvalencia (15110 posts) -

3d/computation/adobe

Adobe also has OpenCL support.

#9 Edited by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

So it performs like a GTX 780 for about $75-$100 cheaper but runs hotter, doesn't overclock so well and draws more power (not major issues for most people). I'd still rather go with a GTX 780 just to avoid AMD's drivers and utilities.

nVidia's hardware accelerated streaming tech is likely to become much more important going forward with hardware like Steam Machines.

#10 Edited by Aparthide (235 posts) -

So it performs like a GTX 780 for about $75-$100 cheaper but runs hotter, doesn't overclock so well and draws more power (not major issues for most people). I'd still rather go with a GTX 780 just to avoid AMD's drivers and utilities.

nVidia's hardware accelerated streaming tech is likely to become much more important going forward with hardware like Steam Machines.

It beats a titan in uber mode. You're right about power and overclocking. And when are people going to drop the "AMD's drivers are bad" thing? I'd actually say that currently Nvidia has worse driver support than AMD when it comes to a single card solution/Windows. I don't care about these hardware fanboy wars but the bias some people show...

#11 Edited by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

Yeah I'm biased about AMDs drivers because every time I've used an AMD card in my machine I've wound up having to do all sorts of nonsense to get odd games to run, like keeping old driver versions around for specific games because support is broken in newer versions.

I'll stop throwing around AMDs drivers as a negative as soon as they fix them.

#12 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (23498 posts) -
#13 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (23498 posts) -

@ronvalencia said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

3d/computation/adobe

Adobe also has OpenCL support.

I think opencl is only for adobe creative cloud in premiere, CS6 only supports cuda to my knowledge.

Photoshop I think supports opencl.

#14 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2571 posts) -

The card reaches 95c on full load and 50db on uber fan speed.

I would never put this thing on my pc.I'll be waiting for the 20nm gpus.

#15 Posted by wis3boi (31290 posts) -

Yeah I'm biased about AMDs drivers because every time I've used an AMD card in my machine I've wound up having to do all sorts of nonsense to get odd games to run, like keeping old driver versions around for specific games because support is broken in newer versions.

I've never had an issue running ancient games on my 7970

#16 Edited by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@barrybarryk said:

I've never had an issue running ancient games on my 7970

Really? Try playing Rage or games with deep OpenGL optimisation. AMDs implementation has been broken for years

#17 Edited by Daious (1250 posts) -

So the consensus is that r9 290x=titan at 1080p and 1440p. 4k resolution clearly favors the R9 290x. I am still hoping for a price drop of Nvidia cards or a non-reference r9 290x to happen within a month.

#18 Edited by FaustArp (1038 posts) -

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

3d/computation/adobe

I bought mine for gaming; of the people I know who bought Titans, I don't know anyone who bought them for CUDA.

It was hands-down the fastest card at the time. It had a pretty good run.

#19 Edited by PfizersaurusRex (677 posts) -

They're expanding the memory bus width 128 bits per generation, or even half-generation (6900 onwards). You gotta love that.

#20 Posted by demi0227_basic (897 posts) -

@ShepardCommandr: I agree...while performance is incredible, there's no way I'd put that thing as is in my computer. 95c? Holy crap...and 50db? That's INSANE.

My first 7970 was lower on both counts and still heated up a room, and necessitated headphones to drown out the vacuum cleaner sound!

#21 Posted by silversix_ (14270 posts) -

all this shit is overpriced. fk anything going over $400.

#22 Posted by MK-Professor (3788 posts) -

I want this with a crazy 3 slot custom cooler to push it to 1250MHz and get 7 TFlops out of a single GPU.

#23 Posted by wis3boi (31290 posts) -

all this shit is overpriced. fk anything going over $400.

Do you not remember 2006?

#24 Posted by Gogoplexiorayo2 (154 posts) -

gosh what a cool card. want to benchmark crysis 3 and far cry 3 on them to see the fps increase from my hd 7850.

#25 Edited by PredatorRules (7805 posts) -

Currently R9 280X and 290X are best cards for your wallet if you're looking into high graphics, 7990 is still the king of Dual GPUs, so you could say currently AMD is running the market for high end graphics

#26 Posted by sethman410 (2935 posts) -

I am still right though. Titan is still king when it comes to performance. Sure, the performance/cost ratio is far superior on R9 290X.

#27 Posted by sethman410 (2935 posts) -

Think NVIDIA will price drop Titan anytime soon to counter this? I have a strong feeling that they will do something about it to counter it. Maybe a 100 dollar price drop within the next couple months.

#28 Edited by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

But it's loud. And yes, it draws a lot of power and heat.. but it's loud. In the review, he even said that you could hear it over a speaker setup, and even with headphones/headsets (which WILL need noise canceling). That's a major no from me.

#29 Edited by DJ_Headshot (6182 posts) -

@demi0227_basic: Agreed those temps and noise levels are unacceptable best to wait for custom cooler solution to come out that address this of course some people don't care can have there value high end card now.

#30 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23498 posts) -

@FaustArp said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

3d/computation/adobe

I bought mine for gaming; of the people I know who bought Titans, I don't know anyone who bought them for CUDA.

It was hands-down the fastest card at the time. It had a pretty good run.

I do, go on the blenderartist forums or similar like v-ray

lots of people got titans instead of going quadro

#31 Posted by Alienware_fan (1514 posts) -

3x 7970 vs 2x 290x???????? Which is faster?????

#32 Posted by C_Rule (9740 posts) -

Good video from Tom.

AMD 290X vs Titan vs 780 TTL's Thoughts

#33 Posted by buccomatic (1941 posts) -
#34 Posted by Alienware_fan (1514 posts) -
#35 Posted by buccomatic (1941 posts) -
#36 Edited by mastershake575 (8354 posts) -

Great card (and reasonable price) but I've seen a ton of AMD card owners/fanboys do damage control on different forums/reviews of the card (which is sad coming from a current AMD card owner).

The card is virtually identical to the soon to be $550-575 GTX 780 both stock vs stock and overclocked vs overclocked, yet almost everyone goes "buh buh its similar to the Titan !"

They don't want to acknowledge that it isn't the 780 killer that everyone thought it was going to be and that the future 780 price drops/780 Ti will pretty much negate AMD from having the single fastest card (780TI) and an obvious number 1 value for cash (a $550-575 780 will offer almost the same value, kind of like how AMD dropped the 7950 to $210-240 after the gtx 760 was released).

I personally will probably wait till the 20nm cards come out next year (The GTX 870/pirate island equivalent should offer better performance the 780/290x will costing around $400).

#37 Posted by buccomatic (1941 posts) -

Great card (and reasonable price) but I've seen a ton of AMD card owners/fanboys do damage control on different forums/reviews of the card (which is sad coming from a current AMD card owner).

The card is virtually identical to the soon to be $550-575 GTX 780 both stock vs stock and overclocked vs overclocked, yet almost everyone goes "buh buh its similar to the Titan !"

They don't want to acknowledge that it isn't the 780 killer that everyone thought it was going to be and that the future 780 price drops/780 Ti will pretty much negate AMD from having the single fastest card (780TI) and an obvious number 1 value for cash (a $550-575 780 will offer almost the same value, kind of like how AMD dropped the 7950 to $210-240 after the gtx 760 was released).

I personally will probably wait till the 20nm cards come out next year (The GTX 870/pirate island equivalent should offer better performance the 780/290x will costing around $400).

do you think the new gtx 780 ti will have 4gb of vram, or will they stay with 3gb?

#38 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (23498 posts) -

@C_Rule said:

Good video from Tom.

that guy always talks way too long

he can somehow make a 5 minute discussion instead 5 hours

Loop
Start playing when buffered (Only Notify
) -
%
Smart Buffer
Estimated Time:
Global Preferences
Loop
Start playing when buffered (Only Notify
) -
%
Smart Buffer
Estimated Time:
Global Preferences
#39 Posted by FelipeInside (25457 posts) -

PLEASE don't become the new IonusX, lol....

As for video cards and CPUs, it's always like this.

NVIDIA bring out a top model, than AMD beats that model, then NVIDA bring out a stronger one, then AMD beats that one and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on ....

I never buy the latest model cause it's useless unless you play at ridiculous resolutions, and I just stick with a lower card that runs all my games on max.

#40 Edited by DJ_Headshot (6182 posts) -

I forsee price cuts from nvidia coming soon.

#41 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (23498 posts) -

NVIDIA bring out a top model, than AMD beats that model, then NVIDA bring out a stronger one, then AMD beats that one and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on ....

I never buy the latest model cause it's useless unless you play at ridiculous resolutions, and I just stick with a lower card that runs all my games on max.

except it's worse

runs hotter and performs worse

#42 Posted by ronvalencia (15110 posts) -

@C_Rule said:

Good video from Tom.

R9-290X has still ~1.4 TFLOPS 64bit DP FP support i.e. it compete against Titan's 64bit DP FP support.

#43 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

I don't care how faster this new AMD GPU runs.. it's way too loud. That's unacceptable.

#44 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (3809 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

I don't care how faster this new AMD GPU runs.. it's way too loud. That's unacceptable.

Hehehehe

#45 Edited by gcfreak898 (1754 posts) -

Glad I have a 7990 because the Titan and 290X can't come close to it. :-)

#46 Posted by Daious (1250 posts) -

Heat is the price the AMD had to pay. They made the card small compared to 780/titan. This makes cheaper to manufacture and allows AMD to cut the price. I think 20nm based Hawaii architecture will be much cooler. However, AMD is not stupid, the product was designed knowing it was running hot.

#47 Posted by Horgen (110079 posts) -

Tempting card. Noise and heat is no concern for me since I'll put a waterblock on it anyway...

#48 Edited by Klunt_Bumskrint (3809 posts) -
#49 Posted by Horgen (110079 posts) -

@acanofcoke: I prefer single GPU cards... Although I shouldn't bash SLI/crossfire before I have tried it.

Although both are tempting, I won't buy any of them. A GTX 680 with 1200P monitor still means max/very high in most games I play and a stable 60fps.

#50 Posted by abdoalwaer (12 posts) -

AMD, my body is ready!