#1 Posted by godonholiday (344 posts) -

I was wondering if I could get some help/info on AMD processors.

I am looking at getting the 290GPU.. and maybe an upgrade in CPU to the Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00GHz

Then I thought, if i am making the move to AMD for the GPU, maybe I should look at the CPU range..

I have found 2 CPUs that look comparable?

AMD FX 9370 Black Edition, Vishera, 8 Core, S AM3+, Clock 4.4GHz

and

AMD FX 9590 Black Edition, Vishera, 8 Core, S AM3+, Clock 4.7GHz

They are both cheaper which is nice... but i dont know anything about them.. I read that some have a GPU on board and I would need a new motherboard to cope with the heat?

So could someone help me understand it.. maybe link to a mother board that is compatible...

Thanks

#2 Posted by 04dcarraher (19236 posts) -

AMD cpu's are weaker, if you have the money for an i7 then go with that.

#3 Posted by PredatorRules (7385 posts) -

I was wondering if I could get some help/info on AMD processors.

I am looking at getting the 290GPU.. and maybe an upgrade in CPU to the Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00GHz

Then I thought, if i am making the move to AMD for the GPU, maybe I should look at the CPU range..

I have found 2 CPUs that look comparable?

AMD FX 9370 Black Edition, Vishera, 8 Core, S AM3+, Clock 4.4GHz

and

AMD FX 9590 Black Edition, Vishera, 8 Core, S AM3+, Clock 4.7GHz

They are both cheaper which is nice... but i dont know anything about them.. I read that some have a GPU on board and I would need a new motherboard to cope with the heat?

So could someone help me understand it.. maybe link to a mother board that is compatible...

Thanks

Just get i5 4670K that's all you need.

#4 Edited by ShadowDeathX (10575 posts) -

What is your current CPU? and motherboard?

#5 Posted by thehig1 (1382 posts) -

Get an 8350 will save a lot of money compared to other processors mentioned. It can be overclocked to 9370 levels quite easy with a decent air cooler.

water cooling not really necessary to go up to 4.4ghz.

This saves you money to get the best gpu possible.

#6 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7345 posts) -

Intel, Amd is for budget builds.

#7 Posted by godonholiday (344 posts) -

Thanks for the replies..

At this point I am looking at the 290GPU as I cant justify the spend on a 780..

Current CPU is fine, its a i5-2400 Sandy Bridge, but my motherboard has some issues, some of the sata ports are damaged and i have a few ssds. So I was looking at an all out upgrade, CPU, MOBO and GPU.. I also have someone who could buy the old gen i5

Then to save a little I started looking at the AMD CPUs

#8 Posted by ferret-gamer (17310 posts) -

Thanks for the replies..

At this point I am looking at the 290GPU as I cant justify the spend on a 780..

Current CPU is fine, its a i5-2400 Sandy Bridge, but my motherboard has some issues, some of the sata ports are damaged and i have a few ssds. So I was looking at an all out upgrade, CPU, MOBO and GPU.. I also have someone who could buy the old gen i5

Then to save a little I started looking at the AMD CPUs

Having the same manufacturer for CPU and GPU is not important. A R290 will work perfectly fine with an Intel CPU. AMD CPUs are great on the budget side, but if you can afford a decent i5 or i7 you should get it.

#9 Edited by godonholiday (344 posts) -

@ferret-gamer: Thanks, Yeah I was looking at the i7, but I might go for the i5 mentioned above and use the money for an upgreade elsewhere. Cheers

#10 Edited by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

i7 should be reserved for people with deep pockets or those who just don't care how much they spend on upgrades/builds.

If you have a budget at all for your build/upgrade just go with an i5. Just get Z97 board and toss an i7 in there later when you feel you need it.