AMD Celebrates 30 years of Graphics and Gaming Innovation.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

Yay AMD! Congrats on 30 Years of Graphics and Gaming! From the ATI Rage graphics in the early days of the 3D Accelerated Graphics wars all the way the current R9 290/X. Even though I was a nVidia Fanboy back in the early days of 3D Accelerated Graphics with the RIVA 128, only started to use AMD Radeon graphics since 2008 as the price/performance ratio was just too good to give up. Plus the fact that my 17" Gaming Laptop with a nVidia graphics chip died due to nVidia's defective die packaging fiasco, which got me really p***** off but that's another side story. But congrats to AMD previously ATI for all the great hardware they contributed from the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro which IMO was the real GPU to finally take on to soundly beat nVidia's best, to the introduction of the first GPU with DDR5 memory with Radeon HD 4870 to the current Radeon R9 290X which cost half the price of a $1000 Titan (lol those who brought the Titan got ripped off), all the other graphics tech like TessFX, (which is awesome, Lara Croft never looked so beautiful and natural), to introducing Mantle which gives an immediate boost in frames per second and new way of rendering graphics much faster. to now the most powerful Graphics Card on the planet to the Radeon 295 X2. Hope you have another 30 years of great graphics and gaming innovation. Video covers the rundown of Graphics and Gaming over the last 30 years and AMD/ATI's contribution to it. Good stuff if you are a gamer.

BTW, ever wonder where the name Radeon came from? Watch the video below to find out! You may find whoever come up with the idea very interesting. ;)

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

You know I've used both AMD and Nvidia. I've never been a serious fan of either party. Whichever company offers me the best performance within my budget is usually the one I buy. Currently I'm using an AMD CPU and an Nvidia GPU. But I thank AMD for their creation of competition in the marketplace. Competition is good for the consumer.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Only one grip about the whole thing is that AMD bought ATI in 2006 so "they" aka AMD does not have 30 years in gpu market

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

Only one grip about the whole thing is that AMD bought ATI in 2006 so "they" aka AMD does not have 30 years in gpu market

Rip Ati seems like they both went downhill and imploded with the buyout. Would had been more interesting had it been amd+nv, but I think Nvidia's ceo wanted to be head of both iirc.

Amd 290 is my first amd card. It performs pretty good, but the stock cooler blows chunks.

Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Innovazero2000
Member since 2006 • 3159 Posts

@Bikouchu35 said:

@04dcarraher said:

Rip Ati seems like they both went downhill and imploded with the buyout. Would had been more interesting had it been amd+nv, but I think Nvidia's ceo wanted to be head of both iirc.

Amd 290 is my first amd card. It performs pretty good, but the stock cooler blows chunks.

Down hill? Quite the the opposite. The GPU's have thrived, esp. with the GCN architecture. Market share has reflected that as well, though still not quite caught up with Nvidia. CPU's went down hill (though I'd hardly call Phenom II x4's at the time bad, they competed with the with Core 2 and 1st gen i5's quite well) because they were bullied out of the market illegally.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Bikouchu35 said:

@04dcarraher said:

never buy stock cooler amd cards unless you enjoy having a simulation of the pits of hell