AMD 7870- Worth it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

Ok so I'm more of an NVIDIA guy lately, but on Newegg there's a rather great deal with the 7870. Buy the card (at a good $230) and get Far Cry 3 free (also Medal of Honor: Warfighter, but I already own and hate that game so it's not a big deal). My 460 is pretty much on the brink of being useless now so it's time I upgraded, and the 7870 is supposed to be more powerful than the 460 and even the 560 Ti, but I have a couple of issues though:

1. I've been told Physx is an NVIDIA thing so I couldn't use it for Borderlands 2 or future games, which isn't the biggest deal I guess.

2. AMD users tend to get shafted quite a lot I hear when it comes to optimization, and I know RAGE really screwed them over, so it might be exaggerated but I'd like to know if it's really worth being a problem.

3. Far Cry 3 is a game I'm excited for, but I did want to spring for the deluxe edition to not miss out since I'm excited for it, is there a way to get that stuff separately? I guess it also isn't a huge dealbreaker.

I'll more than likely go for it (here's the page with all the cards just in case there is a specific one I should go for), but is there anything else I should know about it? Any good deals on it, any issues I could have, etc.

#2 Posted by KABCOOL (1144 posts) -

What is the 7870's nvidia counterpart?

#3 Posted by naz99 (1383 posts) -

price wise its the gtx 660 and the 7870 but the 7870 performs closer to the 660ti plus it also comes with Farcry 3 so its the better value.

Link to some benchmarks vs the 660ti -http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=647

#4 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4135 posts) -

KABCOOL

It's around the GTX 660Ti's level in performance. Depending on the game of course.

Also, you can still use PhysX in Borderlands 2, you just need a really good CPU to do it.

#5 Posted by Guppy507 (17396 posts) -

[QUOTE="KABCOOL"]

Toxic-Seahorse

It's around the GTX 660Ti's level in performance. Depending on the game of course.

Also, you can still use PhysX in Borderlands 2, you just need a really good CPU to do it.

Reviews/benchmarks I've seen show it to be slightly ahead of the 660 on average, and pretty well behind the 660 ti.
#6 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4135 posts) -
[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

[QUOTE="KABCOOL"]

Guppy507

Reviews/benchmarks I've seen show it to be slightly ahead of the 660 on average, and pretty well behind the 660 ti.

I was just going off of memory but it could be the 660 and not the 660Ti I was thinking of.
#7 Posted by naz99 (1383 posts) -

The 660ti is around 10% faster than a 7870 but it also costs around £50-£60 more the 7870 in many cases is fater than a 660 but costs the same.

And if you were to buy far cry 3 which comes with the ati card,for the nvidia card it would be over £80 more so for you thats around $120 more for a 10% performance increase and minus a full price game

#8 Posted by Guppy507 (17396 posts) -
[QUOTE="Guppy507"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] It's around the GTX 660Ti's level in performance. Depending on the game of course.

Toxic-Seahorse

I was just going off of memory but it could be the 660 and not the 660Ti I was thinking of.

The 660 is beaten out by the 7870 (depending on the game of course) by around 10% at the most, or is neck and neck with it. Which makes sense, given its price point. The 660 ti is overpriced for what you're getting though. Not really directing this at you by the way, just kind of a general statement. :P
#9 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

I think you get a lot of card for your dollar with the 7850/7870.

#10 Posted by junky6 (41 posts) -

The 7870 is much cheaper and with latest drivers equals the 660 Ti (at least).

For example the HIS IceQ 7870 costs 190$ on newegg

#11 Posted by BravoOneActual (563 posts) -

Right now, Thanksgiving day, Newegg has the HIS Ice-Q and the Sapphire Ghz edition, both, for under $200, after rebate.

For my two cents (and after much research), I think the bang-for-buck king right now is the non-Ti GTX 660, which is the 7870's direct competitor (there seems to be a little confusion on this).

In the end you're talking one or the other "winning" in whatever game by one or two FPS... which really matters how much?

Farcry 3 is enough game - about 150 hours worth - to justify getting a good deal and the $30 or $40 price break tips the scales toward AMD for me. I'm no fanboy. In my short time, I've run both Nvidia and AMD. I'm fine with both. In this case, because of the deal, I'd grab the AMD brand I trusted most and I wouldn't look back.

#12 Posted by 5SI-GonePostal (355 posts) -

The 7870 is prob the best pound vs performance high range card on the market at the moment. It beats the 660 9/10, It will also occassionally beat the 660ti. This is the card i would currently advise to most gamers. The physics stuff on the nvidia boards is also more a gimmick then anything else and will only affect 1 game in many (at the end of the day developers want more people to buy their games) and then only give a slight fps increase.

#13 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

Well thanks for the tips guys, looks like the 7870 is a great deal.