Age of Empires, WarCraft

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DA87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DA87
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Hi, can you please recommend me a game that is similar to Age of Empires, Age of Mythology or WarCraft III? A high fantasy or historical RTS, that is... no Civilization V 'cause that's turn based... And I already played The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-earth II, in case you were thinking of that :)

Thanks!

Actually, any high fantasy PC game that is not an RPG or an MMO would do as well! Do you have anything in mind?

nchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nchan
Member since 2004 • 1059 Posts
How about Age of Empire 3? Anyway, Starcraft 2 is very awesome.
Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
Starcraft 2 ma man. No other way to it. Multiplayer is wonderful and campaign is great.
mase09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mase09
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Rise of Nations is still one of my favorite RTS games.

Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Scoob64
Member since 2008 • 2635 Posts

have you tried Age of Mythology? it got amazing reviews, even it if is kinda old...

I haven't played it, but i've heard its awesome.

my favorite RTS games are

StarCraft: brood war

StarCraft 2

Warcraft 2

Warcraft 3

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts
Starcraft 2, however good it is isn't high fantasy nor historical. Why do people suggest it? Anyhow, just go with AoE3 if you haven't played it. It isn't as amazing as AoE2 for sure but it's definitely worth a go. There really isn't anything that can top AoE2/AoM in that type of setting though, I've heard good things about Rise of Nations but haven't played it myself.
Nighteg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 Nighteg
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts

Hi, can you please recommend me a game that is similar to Age of Empires, Age of Mythology or WarCraft III? A high fantasy or historical RTS, that is... no Civilization V 'cause that's turn based... And I already played The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-earth II, in case you were thinking of that :)

Thanks!

Actually, any high fantasy PC game that is not an RPG or an MMO would do as well! Do you have anything in mind?

DA87

You've pretty much listed the best fantasy RTS ever made.

The only thing i could think of is Spellcraft 2, and it's expansion. It's a combination of RTS and RPG, and you should really try it.

DA87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DA87
I tried Age 3 and didn't like it, I think it's too modern for my taste. StarCraft II is OK, I have to play it but right now I want something more high fantasy or historical, not sci-fi or futuristic. Thank you anyways.
DA87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DA87
[QUOTE="Vfanek"]Starcraft 2, however good it is isn't high fantasy nor historical. Why do people suggest it? Anyhow, just go with AoE3 if you haven't played it. It isn't as amazing as AoE2 for sure but it's definitely worth a go. There really isn't anything that can top AoE2/AoM in that type of setting though, I've heard good things about Rise of Nations but haven't played it myself.

Thank you, my exact thoughts about SC2. As I said, I didn't like AOE3 when I tried it, and was also looking for something more current (2005 is kind of old now). Although I might play Age 2 again out of nostalgic memories. And also may end up trying Rise of Nations at the same time since I've heard good things too. Thanks again.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

some fanatsy ones that come to mind are

• Armies of Exigo (thought it was average still fun as a fantasy RTS)
  • Rise of Legends
  • Battle Realms - Not high fanatsy but still good
  • Kohan Series
  • Sacrifice - old but still pretty great.Same with myth games though they are RTT
  • Warlords Battlecry series
  • Dragonshard
  • Spellforce -it is a RPG RTS hybrid
ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts

The only one I can think of is Kohan II.

DA87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DA87
I tried Armies of Exigo long ago, arround 2004 when it came out... it was OK, actually. Rise of Legends is pretty popular but doesn't catch my attention, maybe because of the way buildings are managed (you can't really build a city and it's much like Battle for Middle Earth and DragonShard in that sense). I think I'm gonna go with SpellForce 2 out of your list, since all other tittles are way too old. Thanks for your input.
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

You might like Lord of the Rings: War of the ring.

DA87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DA87
AoE 3 and Warcraft 3 are both very good. I would go with Warcraft 3 for the story.shakmaster13
Yeah well, actually what I am trying to find is a game that is similar to WarCraft III, since I played a lot of it and I loved it. I played EA's Battle for Middle Earth 2 for a long time, sadly I was kind of addicted to it, but it doesn't even come close to WarCraft III in terms of quality... Maybe no game ever will :( It's Blizzard, after all. Age 3 is a different story, since it's the same gameplay as Age 2 and Mythology, only with a more modern flavour which I don't like. So yeah, I'd like a game that is like the Age series but that includes Ancient or Medieval times, like Empire Earth, which I also loved.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

Although it's dated... Stronghold? Man, that game was epic.

andalore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 andalore
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts

Stronghold was a decent game, also Medival 2 Total war was a RTS technically, and I remember a Fantasy RTS called Paraworld, It had dinosaurs in it too, Dont remember if it was any good though, there should be a few demos floating around online.

ASRCSR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 ASRCSR
Member since 2008 • 2793 Posts

I say either Starcraft if you like future type war and want to play online, AoE 3 for a classic setting

Nino_ze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nino_ze
Member since 2008 • 368 Posts
AoE 3 and Warcraft 3 are both very good. I would go with Warcraft 3 for the story.shakmaster13
did you even read the post? Anyway, have you tried The Settlers 1-7, a good game, if not that catches you, try then, Warhamer DoW or not so futuristic, try the Warhammer Mark of Chaos, a pretty decent RTS game, have fun and cheers
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
[QUOTE="shakmaster13"]AoE 3 and Warcraft 3 are both very good. I would go with Warcraft 3 for the story.Nino_ze
did you even read the post? Anyway, have you tried The Settlers 1-7, a good game, if not that catches you, try then, Warhamer DoW or not so futuristic, try the Warhammer Mark of Chaos, a pretty decent RTS game, have fun and cheers

Ah yes, Settlers 7 sounds like it's right up your ally. It is a cute fantasy RTS that is simple, cheap, and very rewarding.
cydexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cydexx
Member since 2009 • 33 Posts

try age of mythology. i think aom better than aoe series.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
[QUOTE="shakmaster13"]AoE 3 and Warcraft 3 are both very good. I would go with Warcraft 3 for the story.Nino_ze

Woops not well enough apparently :P Editing that post NOW.