Age of Empires, WarCraft

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by DA87 (7 posts) -

Hi, can you please recommend me a game that is similar to Age of Empires, Age of Mythology or WarCraft III? A high fantasy or historical RTS, that is... no Civilization V 'cause that's turn based... And I already played The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-earth II, in case you were thinking of that :)

Thanks!

Actually, any high fantasy PC game that is not an RPG or an MMO would do as well! Do you have anything in mind?

#2 Posted by nchan (1059 posts) -
How about Age of Empire 3? Anyway, Starcraft 2 is very awesome.
#3 Posted by Gamesterpheonix (3553 posts) -
Starcraft 2 ma man. No other way to it. Multiplayer is wonderful and campaign is great.
#4 Posted by mase09 (21 posts) -

Rise of Nations is still one of my favorite RTS games.

#5 Posted by Scoob64 (2633 posts) -

have you tried Age of Mythology? it got amazing reviews, even it if is kinda old...

I haven't played it, but i've heard its awesome.

my favorite RTS games are

StarCraft: brood war

StarCraft 2

Warcraft 2

Warcraft 3

#6 Posted by Vfanek (7719 posts) -
Starcraft 2, however good it is isn't high fantasy nor historical. Why do people suggest it? Anyhow, just go with AoE3 if you haven't played it. It isn't as amazing as AoE2 for sure but it's definitely worth a go. There really isn't anything that can top AoE2/AoM in that type of setting though, I've heard good things about Rise of Nations but haven't played it myself.
#7 Posted by Nighteg (327 posts) -

Hi, can you please recommend me a game that is similar to Age of Empires, Age of Mythology or WarCraft III? A high fantasy or historical RTS, that is... no Civilization V 'cause that's turn based... And I already played The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-earth II, in case you were thinking of that :)

Thanks!

Actually, any high fantasy PC game that is not an RPG or an MMO would do as well! Do you have anything in mind?

DA87

You've pretty much listed the best fantasy RTS ever made.

The only thing i could think of is Spellcraft 2, and it's expansion. It's a combination of RTS and RPG, and you should really try it.

#8 Posted by DA87 (7 posts) -
I tried Age 3 and didn't like it, I think it's too modern for my taste. StarCraft II is OK, I have to play it but right now I want something more high fantasy or historical, not sci-fi or futuristic. Thank you anyways.
#9 Posted by DA87 (7 posts) -
[QUOTE="Vfanek"]Starcraft 2, however good it is isn't high fantasy nor historical. Why do people suggest it? Anyhow, just go with AoE3 if you haven't played it. It isn't as amazing as AoE2 for sure but it's definitely worth a go. There really isn't anything that can top AoE2/AoM in that type of setting though, I've heard good things about Rise of Nations but haven't played it myself.

Thank you, my exact thoughts about SC2. As I said, I didn't like AOE3 when I tried it, and was also looking for something more current (2005 is kind of old now). Although I might play Age 2 again out of nostalgic memories. And also may end up trying Rise of Nations at the same time since I've heard good things too. Thanks again.
#10 Posted by naval (11109 posts) -

some fanatsy ones that come to mind are

• Armies of Exigo (thought it was average still fun as a fantasy RTS)
  • Rise of Legends
  • Battle Realms - Not high fanatsy but still good
  • Kohan Series
  • Sacrifice - old but still pretty great.Same with myth games though they are RTT
  • Warlords Battlecry series
  • Dragonshard
  • Spellforce -it is a RPG RTS hybrid
#11 Posted by ssvegeta555 (2281 posts) -

The only one I can think of is Kohan II.

#12 Posted by DA87 (7 posts) -
I tried Armies of Exigo long ago, arround 2004 when it came out... it was OK, actually. Rise of Legends is pretty popular but doesn't catch my attention, maybe because of the way buildings are managed (you can't really build a city and it's much like Battle for Middle Earth and DragonShard in that sense). I think I'm gonna go with SpellForce 2 out of your list, since all other tittles are way too old. Thanks for your input.
#13 Posted by shakmaster13 (7138 posts) -

You might like Lord of the Rings: War of the ring.

#14 Posted by DA87 (7 posts) -
AoE 3 and Warcraft 3 are both very good. I would go with Warcraft 3 for the story.shakmaster13
Yeah well, actually what I am trying to find is a game that is similar to WarCraft III, since I played a lot of it and I loved it. I played EA's Battle for Middle Earth 2 for a long time, sadly I was kind of addicted to it, but it doesn't even come close to WarCraft III in terms of quality... Maybe no game ever will :( It's Blizzard, after all. Age 3 is a different story, since it's the same gameplay as Age 2 and Mythology, only with a more modern flavour which I don't like. So yeah, I'd like a game that is like the Age series but that includes Ancient or Medieval times, like Empire Earth, which I also loved.
#15 Posted by CaptainAhab13 (5121 posts) -

Although it's dated... Stronghold? Man, that game was epic.

#16 Posted by andalore (2644 posts) -

Stronghold was a decent game, also Medival 2 Total war was a RTS technically, and I remember a Fantasy RTS called Paraworld, It had dinosaurs in it too, Dont remember if it was any good though, there should be a few demos floating around online.

#17 Posted by ASRCSR (2793 posts) -

I say either Starcraft if you like future type war and want to play online, AoE 3 for a classic setting

#18 Posted by Nino_ze (368 posts) -
AoE 3 and Warcraft 3 are both very good. I would go with Warcraft 3 for the story.shakmaster13
did you even read the post? Anyway, have you tried The Settlers 1-7, a good game, if not that catches you, try then, Warhamer DoW or not so futuristic, try the Warhammer Mark of Chaos, a pretty decent RTS game, have fun and cheers
#19 Posted by CaptainAhab13 (5121 posts) -
[QUOTE="shakmaster13"]AoE 3 and Warcraft 3 are both very good. I would go with Warcraft 3 for the story.Nino_ze
did you even read the post? Anyway, have you tried The Settlers 1-7, a good game, if not that catches you, try then, Warhamer DoW or not so futuristic, try the Warhammer Mark of Chaos, a pretty decent RTS game, have fun and cheers

Ah yes, Settlers 7 sounds like it's right up your ally. It is a cute fantasy RTS that is simple, cheap, and very rewarding.
#20 Posted by cydexx (33 posts) -

try age of mythology. i think aom better than aoe series.

#21 Posted by shakmaster13 (7138 posts) -
[QUOTE="shakmaster13"]AoE 3 and Warcraft 3 are both very good. I would go with Warcraft 3 for the story.Nino_ze

Woops not well enough apparently :P Editing that post NOW.