Adventure/Mystery Games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by CrytekSamuel (291 posts) -

Sorry, another 'What game should I get?' thread.

I'm looking for an adventure/mystery game, one which doesn't include any action at all, more of a puzzle solving game. I love shooters, but something slower paced, easier to relax to would be a nice change.

Any suggestions?

#2 Posted by fireandcloud (5118 posts) -
sam & max episode 104 is free on steam.
#3 Posted by CrytekSamuel (291 posts) -

sam & max episode 104 is free on steam.fireandcloud

Ta.

A quick question about steam; As everything is in dollars, does it matter at all that I live in England?

#4 Posted by ttomm1946 (1871 posts) -
If you want a real involving myery go the lost Crown..
#6 Posted by chupacabra3 (39 posts) -
You can try Culpa Innata, Next Life, Dreamfall:The Longest Journey, The Longest Journey (my favourite), CSI, Broken Sword, Delaware St.John, Agatha Christie and Runaway series. ( and maybe nancy drew series )
#7 Posted by thusaha (14495 posts) -
Try Gabriel Knight series.
#8 Posted by pseudodog07 (1106 posts) -
Penumbra Overture and Black Plague
#9 Posted by JP_Russell (12893 posts) -

Puzzle-solving, you say? The Myst series is the pinnacle of puzzle adventure gaming, you absolutely must play them all if you're into such games.

Myst
Riven: The Sequel to Myst (best game in the whole universe)
Myst III: Exile
Uru: Ages Beyond Myst (and expansions)
Myst IV: Revelation
Myst V: End of Ages

#10 Posted by Roris0A (627 posts) -
Well if you're just starting to get into the Adventure genre then wow.. You have a lot of treasures to choose from. I would start out with Grim Fandango and then next Syberia.
#11 Posted by chupacabra3 (39 posts) -
now playing Secret Files Tunguska and it's very good
#12 Posted by fatshodan (2886 posts) -
The Myst games and the first two Broken Sword games.
#13 Posted by artur79 (4679 posts) -

The Myst games and the first two Broken Sword games.fatshodan

And the third.

#14 Posted by gogators4life (4654 posts) -
Riven only got 7.8 from GS, why is that?
#15 Posted by fatshodan (2886 posts) -

Riven only got 7.8 from GS, why is that? gogators4life

That's what I was wondering, so I read the review.

I got about as far as the bit where the reviewer said he used a walkthrough before realising the review wasn't worth reading.

#16 Posted by Lakin0817 (440 posts) -
I'll tell you a decent mystery/action game is Sherlock Holmes:The Awakened. It's 3D, decent graphics, and a good story line. Lots of puzzles etc. Some are off the wall for what they are being used for, but still entertaining. Entertaining voice acting too. I'm not a big adventure gamer, but I enjoyed this game.
#17 Posted by Herrick (4467 posts) -
Yeah, that Sherlock Holmes game looks good. Unfortunately, I can't get the demo to run on my system :(
#18 Posted by bogaty (4750 posts) -

Any of the last 3 Sherlock Holmes games are well worth a play. (Never played the first in the series though as I understand it was more like a logic puzzle type thing a la Myst adn those aren't really my cup of tea.) I think Secret of the Silver Earring was by far the most challenging and had the most complex storyline but it was marred with some stupid timed arcade sequences. Awakened had the whole Cthulhu mythos storyline, which was cool, but the puzzles were mostly quite easy.Arsene Lupin (Nemesis in N. America) had a pretty dumb story but a good mix of puzzles and locations.

You might also want to look into a pretty cool series that has flown under the radar. The first in the series is called Missing: Since January.

The second is called Evidence: The Last Ritual.

They're challenging murder mystery games and they feel a lot more involved in that they require you to use the internet (and you can use your email and cel phone to get mail and calls as well, if you so choose) and it really adds to the immersion.

#19 Posted by dos4gw82 (1896 posts) -
I just finished The Last Express. It's a great adventure/mystery game. Events in the game happen in real time, but on a whole, it's slower paced than most. Give it a try.
#20 Posted by lenson (2515 posts) -

Puzzle-solving, you say? The Myst series is the pinnacle of puzzle adventure gaming, you absolutely must play them all if you're into such games.

Myst
Riven: The Sequel to Myst (best game in the whole universe)
Myst III: Exile
Uru: Ages Beyond Myst (and expansions)
Myst IV: Revelation
Myst V: End of Ages

JP_Russell

Yup yup. All but the last two are on gametap I think they also sell cheap on amazon. IV though I have to say I was less than impressed with. There were far fewer ages in it. I didn't play V but I only heard bad things about it anyways. Uru was the most unusual if you ask me. Shame the mmo side of it was shut down just recently. Riven is the best though. They are all great but if you have to choose one choose riven.

#21 Posted by jfsebastianII (1080 posts) -

I'll tell you a decent mystery/action game is Sherlock Holmes:The Awakened. It's 3D, decent graphics, and a good story line. Lots of puzzles etc. Some are off the wall for what they are being used for, but still entertaining. Entertaining voice acting too. I'm not a big adventure gamer, but I enjoyed this game.Lakin0817

yeah, i'm playing it at the moment and it's good

IMO don't go NEAR the first Broken Sword game - solving the puzzles has nothing to do with logic and everything to do with clicking on anything and everything you can find until you randomly discover the 'answer'

#22 Posted by Johnny_Rock (40113 posts) -
Do you like a bit of horror in your adventure? If so try out Scratches. It's one of the best horror adventure games out there. Check out the Gamespot review and realize that everything they say about it is wrong.
#23 Posted by JP_Russell (12893 posts) -

Do you like a bit of horror in your adventure? If so try out Scratches. It's one of the best horror adventure games out there. Check out the Gamespot review and realize that everything they say about it is wrong.Johnny_Rock

Adventuregamers.com has a good review on it.