About to buy an SSD... questions

#1 Posted by Hydrolex (1465 posts) -

I'm gonna buy the 256GB Samsung SSD but I have some questions.

I already have windows 7 on my HDD, and I want to install windows 8 on my SSD. Is it possible for me to switch between the two windows ?

#2 Edited by PredatorRules (8136 posts) -

@Hydrolex said:

I'm gonna buy the 256GB Samsung SSD but I have some questions.

I already have windows 7 on my HDD, and I want to install windows 8 on my SSD. Is it possible for me to switch between the two windows ?

Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it, make a fresh new clean install on the SSD and erase the one on your HDD.

#3 Edited by comp_atkins (31473 posts) -

you want to keep both win8 and win7?

it is possible to do this, look into "dual booting" for how to set it up. when you boot your machine, you'll be given the option of which OS you want to load. it shouldn't be too difficult to set up.

#4 Edited by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

There is no need to delete the OS on your hard drive, it will not be a factor when booting as long as you tell the computer which one to boot from. Nothing wrong with dual booting, esp when I have heard of so much stuff not running on Win 8. I would not even bother with Win 8 if you don't already have it, brings nothing to the table worth the trouble.

#5 Posted by Qixote (10733 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

There I have heard of so much stuff not running on Win 8. I would not even bother with Win 8 if you don't already have it, brings nothing to the table worth the trouble.

All untrue. Win 8.1 is actually the more stable OS and definitely performs better with games. And it takes advantage of SSDs more than Win 7. I have yet to encounter your so called "so much stuff not running on Win 8". Win 8.1 just gets a bad rap because of the horrible first impression it gives with it's Metro screen that is designed for touchscreen devices. But it does not take long to learn how to ignore it and just use the standard Windows desktop as always before.

#6 Edited by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

@Qixote said:

@vfibsux said:

There I have heard of so much stuff not running on Win 8. I would not even bother with Win 8 if you don't already have it, brings nothing to the table worth the trouble.

All untrue. Win 8.1 is actually the more stable OS and definitely performs better with games. And it takes advantage of SSDs more than Win 7. I have yet to encounter your so called "so much stuff not running on Win 8". Win 8.1 just gets a bad rap because of the horrible first impression it gives with it's Metro screen that is designed for touchscreen devices. But it does not take long to learn how to ignore it and just use the standard Windows desktop as always before.

Bullshit. There are plenty of benchmarks available out there showing the few times Win 8 does come out on top it is negligible. Windows 8 gets a bad rap because it should have been a Windows 7 service pack, it was a money grab, period.

There is nothing wrong with Windows 8, I just said there is no reason to go out and buy it if you have Windows 7.

#7 Posted by amalager (119 posts) -

@Hydrolex: Yes, it is possible. When you boot up your PC, it should ask you which OS to load. For instructions on how to do it, just refer to the HD guides and some tutorials on the internet.

#8 Posted by FelipeInside (25664 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

@Qixote said:

@vfibsux said:

There I have heard of so much stuff not running on Win 8. I would not even bother with Win 8 if you don't already have it, brings nothing to the table worth the trouble.

All untrue. Win 8.1 is actually the more stable OS and definitely performs better with games. And it takes advantage of SSDs more than Win 7. I have yet to encounter your so called "so much stuff not running on Win 8". Win 8.1 just gets a bad rap because of the horrible first impression it gives with it's Metro screen that is designed for touchscreen devices. But it does not take long to learn how to ignore it and just use the standard Windows desktop as always before.

Bullshit. There are plenty of benchmarks available out there showing the few times Win 8 does come out on top it is negligible. Windows 8 gets a bad rap because it should have been a Windows 7 service pack, it was a money grab, period.

There is nothing wrong with Windows 8, I just said there is no reason to go out and buy it if you have Windows 7.

I find that Windows 8 has everything Windows 7 has plus more features (if you're interested in those new features). I also find the OS a lot faster in simple tasks. It controls SSDs better and I love the USB3 Turbo Technology for it.

But like vfibsux said, if you have Win7 and happy with it, and not interested in the new Win8 features or additions, then no need to upgrade. If you buy/build a new PC or due for a reinstall and have a few extra bucks, no reason not to install Win8 (you can even turn the Metro Menu off if it bothers people that much).

Gaming wise, both OS perform the same. Some games will run better on 7, while others better on 8.