A Redundant Topic - Altair & Alex Mercer Similarity

This topic is locked from further discussion.

powerchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 powerchu
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Alex Reference
Alex Reference

Altair ReferenceAltair for reference

Now, i know i probably get hated for this, for bringing out such an outdated and proven topic, but i just realized, when photoshopping alex and Altair, that their lips, chins, nose and eyebrows, hood texture all match!

Altair Mercer (Crappy Blend-in)

As you can all see, the lip scar (from Altair) and his jaw seem to match with Alex's. And is it just me or that the hood seem to be made from the same material?? *note: the eyes are both Alex's, cant seem to find an eye for Altair*

So, the question is, did the company from Prototype used Altair as a base?

SgtMoreless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SgtMoreless
Member since 2009 • 311 Posts

clearly.

Hooded characters are always bad ass...:D

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#3 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

Now that you mention it, they do have similarity. Either it's coincidence or maybe Radical Entertainment used Altair as part of referencing, like you said, into building a character, which isn't illegal since your only using other's artwork as 'reference', maybe that could be an explanation.

powerchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 powerchu

Yeap, i love Hooded characters too, they have this "Hey look, i have a hood, bow down to me" personality and rank lol

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Games do "borrow" from each other.

However, if the two ever squared off, Alex would leave Altair in a pulpy blob on the street.:P:lol:

vitriolboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 vitriolboy
Member since 2005 • 4356 Posts

Now, i know i probably get hated for this, for bringing out such an outdated and proven topic, but i just realized, when photoshopping alex and Altair, that their lips, chins, nose and eyebrows, hood texture all match!

Altair Mercer (Crappy Blend-in)

As you can all see, the lip scar (from Altair) and his jaw seem to match with Alex's. And is it just me or that the hood seem to be made from the same material?? *note: the eyes are both Alex's, cant seem to find an eye for Altair*

So, the question is, did the company from Prototype used Altair as a base?

powerchu

Nice pic!

powerchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 powerchu

However, if the two ever squared off, Alex would leave Altair in a pulpy blob on the street.:P:lol:

topsemag55

Or maybe Alex use his musclemass and uppercut the hell outta altair, when suddenly, Altair stick his hidden blade down his throat and consumed Alex :O

So, let me get this straight, its not under the copyright law that you can use others' creation as a base? :O

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mhofever

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

powerchu

Or maybe Alex use his musclemass and uppercut the hell outta altair, when suddenly, Altair stick his hidden blade down his throat and consumed Alex :O

So, let me get this straight, its not under the copyright law that you can use others' creation as a base? :O

As a digital animation student, i learned that you CAN use other people's artwork as reference into building your own. I currently use this method to get my work done.

My lecturers who worked in the industry say lots of companies do this to find their feet in the design. Just as long as you don't copy off the design, then it's ok, like as you can see here , Altair and Alex have similar hood/face structure etc, even perhaps the same body structure although their design varies a lot, since they both are in two totally different stories so it's not considsered a copyright infringement to use other people's work as a base to start off.

powerchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 powerchu
Oh, yea, i am an artist myself and i know you can use other things as reference, just wasn't sure it was the same for gaming. Like, the clothing, face structures and all that. But i agree with you, since they aren't really in the same time line. What if Desmond was similar to Alex? :O!!!
mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mhofever

Oh, yea, i am an artist myself and i know you can use other things as reference, just wasn't sure it was the same for gaming. Like, the clothing, face structures and all that. But i agree with you, since they aren't really in the same time line. What if Desmond was similar to Alex? :O!!!powerchu

lol, " I am an assassin who is sworn to protect the land from Templars, using my hidden blade, sword,throwing knives and my ability to climb anything AND a guy with a virus that makes me glide, shapeshift, spawn weapons on my hand, coats me with badass armour, be able to do a massive spike damage, hijack military vehicles, have lots of health points, be able to replenish health from fallen infected thingys and run up buildings."

I think I just mentioned the most OP character a game could have.

555SSOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

#11 555SSOO
Member since 2008 • 1873 Posts

Yep,they look alike,but the similarities end there.They are two totally different characters(except they both can scale up walls(alex more:P)).Altair is all stealthy type,and Alex is all *I WILL EAT YOU AND SUCK YOUR BRAINS OUT*,Alex can transform and is a [spoiler] virus thing[END SPOILER],but Altair is just a assassin that can't do anything supernatural.....