A keyboard that doesn't rattle?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 0

#1 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

I have a really weird problem right now. My new sub woofer really rattles the keys on my keyboard to a point where it effects the smoothness of the bass. The keyboard doesn't rattle if I hold it in the air so this means that my table shakes which makes the keyboard rattle. So I put mouse pads below the keyboard and that did reduce the rattle quite a lot but still when the bass gets really heavy it starts rattling like crazy.

So what solution can you suggest me? Are more expensive keyboards resistant to this sort of thing?

I currently have the Logitech Media Keyboard, I think its around 5 years old.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Turn your bass down?

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

buy some suction cups

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4  Edited By Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11781 Posts

Here is a wonderful idea, buy some anti-vibration pads, and put them between your table, and keyboard. This should help.

Most decent speakers come with them anyway for this exact reason. It decouples the speakers from the surface area they are sitting on. Also it wouldn't hurt to put some on the sub itself (where it sits on the ground) As well as where the table you use comes in contact with the floor. This should reduce the vibration on your keyboard to a minimum.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gambler_3

@topgunmv said:

Turn your bass down?

That won't be fun you know. And its not like I am pumping so much bass that everything is flying off the wall, its just the keyboard that's giving me the problem.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gambler_3

@Lach0121 said:

Here is a wonderful idea, buy some anti-vibration pads, and put them between your table, and keyboard. This should help.

Most decent speakers come with them anyway for this exact reason. It decouples the speakers from the surface area they are sitting on. Also it wouldn't hurt to put some on the sub itself (where it sits on the ground) As well as where the table you use comes in contact with the floor. This should reduce the vibration on your keyboard to a minimum.

The speakers have those pads at the bottom and they have no vibration problem. The sub is sitting flat on a wooden floor and it doesn't have rattling issue either.

Ya if the table doesn't vibrate then the keyboard won't either. The area where it comes in contact with the floor is pretty big about 2 feet on either side. What sort of a thing I can get that would also keep the table steady? Or should I get some pad for the keyboard? Can you give some link from amazon?

Is buying a more expensive/different keyboard not a solution?

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lach0121

Putting the pads on the sub will help, especially if it is sitting on a wooden floor. Wood carries resonance. Decoupling the sub from the floor is the first step you should take! As it will reduce the coloring your room will have on the low-end frequencies somewhat.

Here is a cheap solution for you at amazon. (its a starting point, and you can go from there) anti-vibration pads

I would first use it to decouple the sub from the floor, then the desk from the floor, then the keyboard from the desk. You can get multiple sheets, and cut it to fit.

A different keyboard may help (for the keyboard) depending on what keyboard you get. But if your keyboard is rattling, it is not the only thing rattling and coloring your low end. (just the closest one to you that you can identify)

If you are really interested in room acoustics, then I think you should learn about acoustic treatment, and how to apply it. Learn somewhat what nodes, and anti-nodes are, and Identify your direct reflection surfaces, and if you decide to acoustically treat your room. You will see a noticeable difference in tightness of low-end, and a much more natural frequency reproduction (by the time it hits your ears)

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

Buy a high end mechanical keyboard, it schould help and if not you have a keyboard that will outlive your PC...

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

What's the sub? Is it touching the desk? What's the floor made of?

I have a large (10" driver, 14.6" cube) Mordaunt Short sub and I don't have problems like this. I assume either the sub is touching the desk or the desk isn't stable.

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

@Gambler_3: hagaghhahahaha

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gambler_3

@Lach0121 said:

Putting the pads on the sub will help, especially if it is sitting on a wooden floor. Wood carries resonance. Decoupling the sub from the floor is the first step you should take! As it will reduce the coloring your room will have on the low-end frequencies somewhat.

Here is a cheap solution for you at amazon. (its a starting point, and you can go from there) anti-vibration pads

I would first use it to decouple the sub from the floor, then the desk from the floor, then the keyboard from the desk. You can get multiple sheets, and cut it to fit.

A different keyboard may help (for the keyboard) depending on what keyboard you get. But if your keyboard is rattling, it is not the only thing rattling and coloring your low end. (just the closest one to you that you can identify)

If you are really interested in room acoustics, then I think you should learn about acoustic treatment, and how to apply it. Learn somewhat what nodes, and anti-nodes are, and Identify your direct reflection surfaces, and if you decide to acoustically treat your room. You will see a noticeable difference in tightness of low-end, and a much more natural frequency reproduction (by the time it hits your ears)

But I am happy with the quality of the bass and the keyboard is really the only thing rattling as I tested this by disconnecting it entirely.

Proper room treatment requires a lot of effort and money but one day I do plan to do it.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gambler_3

@kraken2109 said:

I have a large (10" driver, 14.6" cube) Mordaunt Short sub and I don't have problems like this. I assume either the sub is touching the desk or the desk isn't stable.

No and the desk is stable.

The sub is just 7", here's a pic.

Does your keyboard rattle at the slightest slap to the desk? Mine does, is that normal for keyboards?

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kraken2109

@Gambler_3 said:

@kraken2109 said:

No and the desk is stable.

The sub is just 7", here's a pic.

Does your keyboard rattle at the slightest slap to the desk? Mine does, is that normal for keyboards?

Either your keyboard has terrible build quality or your desk isn't stable.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lach0121

@Gambler_3: Let me be clear, decoupling the sub from the floor will not reduce your bass from the sub. It will just reduce your room coloring of the bass. It might possibly make it less boomy (however by doing so it will also make it tighter/punchier)

Right now I am using an Eleven Rack (external soundcard) to a set of Event BAS 20/20 studio monitors. (sound fantastic), but I think just a little too large for my room. I am entertaining the thought of upgrading to a set of Presonus Sceptre s6 matched with a Presonus Temblor t10 subwoofer. I kinda miss having a sub. However I stated this just to say that once I get that sub it will undoubtedly be decoupled from the floor with some type of padding. Which will give a much more accurate representation of low-end frequencies.

Acoustic treatment is difficult to do decently, and can cost a pretty penny. I know from experience. I am about 1/3 of the way through acoustically treating my home studio. However, I can notice less convolution of low end frequencies from what I have already done.

Its a little difficult to tell by the picture, but is the front part of the desk (where the keyboard and mouse sit) actually connected to the back piece where your two speakers sit? Also is that back piece touching the wall? (or attached) Is your sub touching the wall at all?

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gambler_3

@Lach0121 said:

Its a little difficult to tell by the picture, but is the front part of the desk (where the keyboard and mouse sit) actually connected to the back piece where your two speakers sit? Also is that back piece touching the wall? (or attached) Is your sub touching the wall at all?

No they are 2 different tables. The back one is mounted in the wall with no legs. No the sub cannot touch the wall because it got all its connections at the back.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lach0121

@Gambler_3:

Ahh ok, hard to tell in the pic.

Some subs have heatsinks on them that stick out further than the connections do. Some housings (especially towards the bottom) can stick out far enough to touch the lip (where the floor and wall meet, I am not sure what it is called)

If your keyboard is really old, or just a cheapy, then upgrading wouldn't be a bad idea anyway. But I would still get some padding, and start decoupling the things I stated above until you don't experience the problem anymore.

Also wouldn't hurt to make sure all the screws are tight on the desk. Might help reduce vibration a little if one, or two weren't all that snug.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#17 elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

get a small floor rug and put it under the table\chair.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gambler_3

I moved the 2 tables a little apart from each other and that seems to have helped significantly. At first they were touching each other so maybe there was a problem with that.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lach0121

Well there you go. Anything you do now will just further reduce the problem.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts
Loading Video...

This?

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kraken2109

I would get a small rug or piece of carpet under the sub anyway.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gambler_3

I thought carpet was bad for a sub? Guess I was wrong haha.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

My advice would, go to a local store and see what they have for sale. Then discreetly give the keyboards you like a shoogle and see if they rattle or not. That way you get one you can afford , that you like and doesn't rattle too much :)

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gambler_3

I think I might have narrowed down to the real culprit and its the space bar key on my keyboard. Its become really loose and wobbles at the slightest force.