7th guest and 11th hour?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 0

#1 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I saw that Steam was selling the two games in a bundle for 12 bucks. I've heard of them both and have been interested for a while, actually, since I love horror games and horror stories. Are they still worth playing or have they aged poorly?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

I saw that Steam was selling the two games in a bundle for 12 bucks. I've heard of them both and have been interested for a while, actually, since I love horror games and horror stories. Are they still worth playing or have they aged poorly?

Depends if you can put up with these types of graphics and point click gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45Z-Q5KVTyI

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

I remember these games being pants. If you want a good old-school horror game play Ecstatica 1&2.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@turtlethetaffer: Aged poorly. I played them when they first came out and bought them again and ehhh.

@ShimmerMan: Ecstatica isn't horror.

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5  Edited By ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

@k3ck said:

@ShimmerMan: Ecstatica isn't horror.

Of course it is. It's one of the first survival horror games. If Ecstatica is not horror than you're stating neither is Alone in the Dark or Resident Evil 1.

Wiki pedia states for Ecstatica: Action adventure, survival Horror

Giant Bomb states : Horror, Fantasy.

Reference article: http://kotaku.com/5826780/horror-comes-in-many-forms-including-tiny-ellipsoid-cocks

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SaintSatan

@ShimmerMan: I played um when they came out. They're way more action/adventure than they are horror. Personally I would not classify them as horror. The only thing that was sorta spooky was the music.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@k3ck: Ecstatica was a bit lighter in tone than it's counterpart Alone in the Dark (plus the ellipsoid graphics made everyone look like they had a thyroid condition) but at its core it still plays like a survival horror game. I would agree that it wasn't scary, though

@turtlethetaffer: 7th Guest and 11th Hour are pretty cool puzzle games. They are like animated Myst games with a lot of pre-rendered animation, but even at the time they were incredibly painful because of the horrible, horrible, low quality "community theater" acting. I would recommend you check out YouTube videos to make sure that you can stand the hack acting, because when I was 17 the acting was so bad it almost made the games unplayable.

Also, they are not really scary at all. They feel more like a haunted house amusement park with puzzles then a place where you might be in real danger.

-Byshop

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Planeforger  Online
Member since 2004 • 19562 Posts

I tried to play The 7th Guest for the first time recently, but...it doesn't look good anymore, the FMV is cringe-inducing, and I found the puzzles more frustrating than fun. It's also not a strong horror game - you wander around a kooky haunted house solving logic puzzles, and occasionally see a shonky-looking skeleton lying in the corner of a room. Oh, and I seem to remember that the music was awful?

So I guess my reactions were mostly negative. They might be worth checking out if you collect classic adventure games, but there are better ways to spend your money.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SaintSatan
@Planeforger said:

I found the puzzles more frustrating than fun

Why hello there.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

They did'nt age well. You should mostly steer clear of old FMV games. There are exceptions of course, like the games starring Tex Murphy.

Basically, check them out on Youtube first.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#11  Edited By kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

They are classic games that I loved as a youngster (Also Tex Murphy games).

7th Hour and 11th Hour along with Tex Murphy series where the only good FMV games, all very well made though imo.