5.1 Working but not working?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

freak_c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 freak_c
Member since 2005 • 367 Posts
Hi all I have a weird thing happening with my sound.

I have a Gigabyte Motherboard a GA-K8N Ultra-9, actually. Which has an onbourd 8 channel sound card. Recently i got some 5.1 speakers, nothing great just a set of true 5.1 micrlab speakers. Set it up and through the Realtek audio options I set it to 6 speakers and test it, all working perfect. Set it to 5.1 speakers in the windows audio options. Great? No.

Been playing FEAR but only have 2 channels working and no option to set any of the other options in the game menu on. Then last night I insatll HL2 and it picks up that i have 5.1 speakers but while playing the game the sound only comes out the center channel?!?

2 channel works fine. So I download the latest audio drivers from the gigabyte website, and after uninstalling and installing new ones and rebooting its up and running. Load up HL2 and presto the main menu has 5.1 sound great i think, so I load a game. With in 2 seconds a message comes up that says "AL Dissabled." on the right. I can run around in the game and have 5.1 sound but everyone is not moving. WTF?? Now the AI is always off even on 2 channel. And in FEAR still Nothing (Only 2 channel but at least sound)

My question is, WTF? and how do I fix this, I can't get the console in HL2, to maybe enable the ai, Is it a driver issue, should I reinstall the game? Is it my speakers (which I don't think so as they work when testing them in windows)

PS I have checked all cables settings etc. maybe i missed something, thinking of going back to old drivers and 2.1 speakers. ARRRHHH!

All Help appreciated, Thank you.
d-rtyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 d-rtyboy
Member since 2006 • 3178 Posts
What about your media players? Winamp, foobar, mplayer... whatever you use... do you get 5 channels in them? Might try some reg tweakers like crap cleaner or regscrub.. probably won't help... but worth a try.. sometimes they fix weird issues. You're sure your card is selected in the control panel sound properties?
wurn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 wurn
Member since 2004 • 2258 Posts
Ok now i can answer your question. On your motherboard cd there will be soundcard application. Install it. Once in there look for a speaker setup option. THere you will be able to calibrate or setup your 5.1 speaker combination.

If had the same problem with my onboard sound until i installed the Soundcard Controller software. Even then it had this bad notion of working in 5.1 until you restart and then it reverted back to 2.1 sound.

You need first of all to set up or enable your speakers to play in 5.1. In the controller application there will be an option to test your front left, front right etc with a soundloop or something
freak_c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 freak_c
Yes my card is selected in the control panel sound properties!

I have the realtek audio application installed ( unless there is another one? ) It allows me to select how many speakers i have and i can test it. which works. (left front, then front right etc) also a loopy music or bee thing.
r3351925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 r3351925
Member since 2006 • 1728 Posts
well play any song on the media player n check if all chanels are working alright, if no sound comes out of all chanels then ur cabling system has something wrong with it.
freak_c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 freak_c
well play any song on the media player n check if all chanels are working alright, if no sound comes out of all chanels then ur cabling system has something wrong with it.r3351925
Sound Comes out fine out of all speakers.
r3351925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 r3351925
Member since 2006 • 1728 Posts
then if u have doom3, try playing it on 5.1 cause its really a good sound supported game, or gta san, or even check it with other games cause if the media player is producing soud from all the speakers then there is nothing wrong with the drivers or cabling.