Lonelystrokez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lonelystrokez
Member since 2011 • 277 Posts

Will any blu-ray player play 4k?I just need the software for it to work right?I been thinking about buying an internal blu-ray player for my pc but want to make sure it can do 4k.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

I do not believe there are any 4K Blu-Ray players or discs currently on the market.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

4k Blu-ray content has yet to be standardized AFAIK, I don't think it really exists yet...

Best I've found are 1080P transfers of 4k content.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

If you can actually find a 4k blu-ray which don't exist outside demo testing. The blu-ray association responsible for standardizing formats though has basically said the 4k blu-rays upon release will require a new player. Looks like they are trying to increase the layers on blu-ray discs to hold 33gb/layer in order to store the 4k images. If you buy a player now it's highly unlikely it will work with the eventual release to 4k physical media.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

4k bluray will use quad layer discs aka BDXL, as long as your drive supports that format you should fine

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#7 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

I think they'll have to improve the storage capacity of blurays to be able to give 4k videos proper room for the videos or they'll end up over compressing the videos and end up with awful netflix quality videos.

I've not used h265 yet but it may give enough compression/quality to fit on a 50gb bluray but even being 20% better compression or so over h264, I don't think h265 will be able to give clean and flawless artifact free compression to 4k videos till we get some media that is beyond the 50gb currently on blurays.

It seems weird they came out with 4k tvs so soon and have been shoving this tech in peoples face, but they don't have a proper media format to fit proper 4k videos yet.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KHAndAnime

@Old_Gooseberry said:

I think they'll have to improve the storage capacity of blurays to be able to give 4k videos proper room for the videos or they'll end up over compressing the videos and end up with awful netflix quality videos.

I've not used h265 yet but it may give enough compression/quality to fit on a 50gb bluray but even being 20% better compression or so over h264, I don't think h265 will be able to give clean and flawless artifact free compression to 4k videos till we get some media that is beyond the 50gb currently on blurays.

It seems weird they came out with 4k tvs so soon and have been shoving this tech in peoples face, but they don't have a proper media format to fit proper 4k videos yet.

Well it's easy enough for them to push resolutions in panels, just not as easy to power them in games or provide native media content for them. I'm not that surprised that television companies are trying to cash in on something that's not even that big of a deal for the normal consumer.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@Old_Gooseberry said:

Well it's easy enough for them to push resolutions in panels, just not as easy to power them in games or provide native media content for them. I'm not that surprised that television companies are trying to cash in on something that's not even that big of a deal for the normal consumer.

h.265 is about 4 times as efficient as h.264, in terms of file size while keeping the same resolution (and perceived quality), which is insane. that means a 40 GB video encoded in h.264 will be about 10GB when encoded in h.265, in the same resolution and almost identical quality.

with a bit of googling you can find sample videos showing the difference, and i believe the latest VLC is able to play h.265 (i know MKplayer can as i used that).

believe me, filesize is not a problem for 4k videos.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@Kh1ndjal said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@Old_Gooseberry said:

h.265 is about 4 times as efficient as h.264, in terms of file size while keeping the same resolution (and perceived quality), which is insane. that means a 40 GB video encoded in h.264 will be about 10GB when encoded in h.265, in the same resolution and almost identical quality.

with a bit of googling you can find sample videos showing the difference, and i believe the latest VLC is able to play h.265 (i know MKplayer can as i used that).

It's around twice as efficient, not 4x.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KHAndAnime

@Kh1ndjal said:

Never said file-size was a problem :p I'm sure with some future disk, 4k Blu-Ray content will be easy. But that's not my point.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@Kh1ndjal said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@Old_Gooseberry said:

It's around twice as efficient, not 4x.

it appears you're right. i could have sworn it was 4x.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jr14
Member since 2004 • 2148 Posts

I think you can download movies or stream movies in 4k if that's what your wanting to do.

hatecalledlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hatecalledlove
Member since 2004 • 1383 Posts

The first 4k blu ray players aren't expected to hit the market till Fall of this year. Some where shown at CES.

AmberBeda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AmberBeda
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Technically, there is no 4K Blu-ray on the market now so it's hard to say or test whether a 4K Blu-ray player exist. I do search some information through the internet and found reports about Panasonic 4K Blu-ray player 2015 CES. But it is until the end of 2015 when 4K Blu-ray released that we can make sure that it worked.