40-50 inch hdtv for gaming and movies

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by NeoDeaf17 (42 posts) -
I've been looking at this Samsung - 46" Class / LED / 1080p / 240Hz / Smart / 3D / HDTV. Is it any good? Or is there any good hdtv cheaper than $1,499?
#2 Posted by NeoDeaf17 (42 posts) -
It doesn't have to be 3d only. Can be 120hz as well. Hopefully, come with a/v (red/white/yellow)
#3 Posted by 0diN_7 (1036 posts) -
I have a tv with the exact same specs as those and I got it for half that price. It's a vizio and I couldn't be happier with it. What's the contrast ratio on the tv you are looking at? Also, with a 240 hz tv the video looks kind of strange at first. It looks like things are moving in fast motion kind of. You get used to after about a week though.
#4 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6695 posts) -
I have a tv with the exact same specs as those and I got it for half that price. It's a vizio and I couldn't be happier with it. What's the contrast ratio on the tv you are looking at? Also, with a 240 hz tv the video looks kind of strange at first. It looks like things are moving in fast motion kind of. You get used to after about a week though. 0diN_7
The ANSI contrast ratio of it is probably around 3000:1, but since Samsung's screens are EDGE lit the black levels will appear blue anyways :( there are HDTVs that are not only much better but MUCH cheaper and also bigger! the 50" Panasonic ST50 for around the $1000 mark will outperform any TV of 2012 except the VT50/GT50. If your budget is is $1499, you might as well go for the 50" Panasonic VT50 which is the best TV of the year!
#5 Posted by jakes456 (1398 posts) -

just get a cheap $400-$500 1080p TV.

The only reason you should pay more money is for the size of the TV and the bezel.

Other than that there are no useful features. Wifi on a TV? Useless.

#6 Posted by MonsieurX (31524 posts) -

The only reason you should pay more money is for the size of the TV and the bezel.

jakes456
lolno.
#7 Posted by Masenkoe (4888 posts) -

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

MonsieurX

lolno.

jakes is one of the biggest trolls I've seen. hahaha

#8 Posted by NeoDeaf17 (42 posts) -
Odin_7- It's on best buy site, it said Dynamic Contrast Ratio 20,000,000:1. I'm still thinking on that. If I get 240hz fast motion clear, I"m good for next decade. Not lot of games n movies support that yet. Even 4k HDTVs probably won't be around for next 3 years due to the cost. Also, I doubt next gen consoles will take advantage of 4k HDTVs' features fully. Mozelleple112- what do you mean they appear to be blue? I have ps3dtv it's also edge lit. I haven't noticed anything like that. I am starting to lean on to Pansonic ST50, but i can't find VT50....do you mean UT50? How is Plasma now? I know they have this whiteout to fix the fading words or icons on the screen to make it go away. They have improved big time, since they fixed that issue.
#9 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6695 posts) -

Odin_7- It's on best buy site, it said Dynamic Contrast Ratio 20,000,000:1. I'm still thinking on that. If I get 240hz fast motion clear, I"m good for next decade. Not lot of games n movies support that yet. Even 4k HDTVs probably won't be around for next 3 years due to the cost. Also, I doubt next gen consoles will take advantage of 4k HDTVs' features fully. Mozelleple112- what do you mean they appear to be blue? I have ps3dtv it's also edge lit. I haven't noticed anything like that. I am starting to lean on to Pansonic ST50, but i can't find VT50....do you mean UT50? How is Plasma now? I know they have this whiteout to fix the fading words or icons on the screen to make it go away. They have improved big time, since they fixed that issue. NeoDeaf17

The Dynamic contrast ratio you should take with a pinch of salt.. the real number is no where near that. As I said its around 3000:1 If its the Samsung UNE8000 flagship LED it will have 2950:1 "TRUE" contrast ratio. 0.04cd/M2 black level and 118 cd/m2 brightness.

If you compare a Samsung LED to e.g. Panasonic plasma you will notice that the blacks look black on Panny, and blue-ish on the Sammy. the mid range Panasonic ST50 has an ANSI contrast ratio of +/- 9000:1 - 11,000:1 which is 3-4 times higher than the TV you are looking at (provided that it is the FLAGSHIP!)

Edge-lit LEDs suffer from something called clouding, which means when the screen goes "black" you'll see dots of white clouds. I for one, can't stand the poor screen uniformity. See pic below for an example of what I'm talking about. Don't really look black do they?

uniformity.jpg

the ST50 will also handle motion better and have slightly better colours if both calibrated.. if you don't professionally calibrate a Sammy, the colours will be off the charts, whilethe ST50 is decent out of the box.

#10 Posted by NeoDeaf17 (42 posts) -
Well, I never had problem with Samsung 30 inch. It's one of older kind and last of crt. I gave it to my parents, it's still working since 2007. But I'm starting to lean on a Plasma HDTV, due to price and size. They're nice.
#11 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6695 posts) -
Well, I never had problem with Samsung 30 inch. It's one of older kind and last of crt. I gave it to my parents, it's still working since 2007. But I'm starting to lean on a Plasma HDTV, due to price and size. They're nice.NeoDeaf17
Ahh, well that's because it is a CRT. CRTs, like plasmas, have perfect screen uniformity (more or less) and produce blacks that actually are black. LEDs can't do this, although back-lit LEDs from Sony and Philips are doing a great job, edge-lit ones from Samsung are just awful. The price AND size of the Panasonic plasmas are nice, but the greatest thing about them is the picture quality!
#12 Posted by kraken2109 (13196 posts) -

jakes456
Do you not get bored of trolling?