360 controller on PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bamdude89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bamdude89
Member since 2006 • 1002 Posts

I heard you can use the 360 controller to play games on the PC.Can you use it to play all the games on the PC or is there a list saying thegames that does support the controller?

delirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 delirin
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts

I JUST bought one to play all the "games for windows games" because they now REQUIRE support for the xbox 360 controller. Works like a charm for shadowrun and a few platformers I've put off playing for lack of a controller. (btw, I went back to mounse/keyboard for shadowrun ;) )

But, it will work with any game that has controller support built in. You can also use game profilers to set them up to be used to substatute a keyboard.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#3 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts
There are some games that natively support the Xbox 360 controller. For everything else, there's JoyToKey.
ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ikwal
Member since 2004 • 1600 Posts
If the game supports any kind of controller it will also support xbox360 controller. Some games even have specific settings just for the xbox360 contoller, like showing a little icon of the A button instead of just button1. It works very well, the only problem I've had is with the right/left triggers in games that already have poor gamepad support.
MAXimumGTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 MAXimumGTR
Member since 2006 • 189 Posts
we can use 360 controller on PC?!!but how?do we need to install the driver?and a bluetooth?
Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

we can use 360 controller on PC?!!but how?do we need to install the driver?and a bluetooth?MAXimumGTR

You can download the driver for the controller if Windows can't on its own and the wireless controllers are not bluetooth. You can buy the MS peripheral to get it connected to the PC, but it's pretty flakey.

crazymonkey092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 crazymonkey092
Member since 2005 • 974 Posts
I have the 360 controller for PC and I love it. Worst problem is on older games the triggers don't work, and rumble doesnt seem to want to work for most of the games. I still like it though and I dont own a 360 but I definitely like the controller.
Mithrandir0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mithrandir0x
Member since 2007 • 329 Posts
Hmmm A 360 controller for playing WoW... WOOHOOO A LIVING DOUCHEBAG POTATOE EXPLODING FROM TIME TO TIME!!!!!!
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#9 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts
we can use 360 controller on PC?!!but how?do we need to install the driver?and a bluetooth?MAXimumGTR
Wired controller can just be plugged in and Windows Update will automatically download the necessary driver. The wireless controller actually uses 2.4 GHz radio, not Bluetooth. For that, Microsoft also sells a 2.4 GHz receiver which you can plug into your USB port. This receiver works for other wireless Xbox 360 peripherals as well, including the "wireless" racing wheel and wireless headset. In fact, I remember distinctly Microsoft boasting that "If it works on an Xbox 360, it will work on a PC."
I have the 360 controller for PC and I love it. Worst problem is on older games the triggers don't work, and rumble doesnt seem to want to work for most of the games. I still like it though and I dont own a 360 but I definitely like the controller.crazymonkey092
Yeah, unfortunately not every game can use all of the controller's controls, but there's always JoyToKey for solving that. As for the rumble, that just can't be helped.
Ein-7919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ein-7919
Member since 2003 • 3490 Posts

Works like a charm for shadowbane and a few platformers I've put off playing for lack of a controller. (btw, I went back to mounse/keyboard for shadowbane ;) )

delirin

Wait...Shadowbane as in the MMO? If they have a choice, why would anybody use a controller other than a Kb/M setup for an MMO other than FFXI?

Anyways, yes, the MS wireless dongle thingy does allow connectivity with the other wireless MS peripherals. From what I've read in reviews, the wireless headset is a mixed bag (it looks like a bluetooth headset for a cell-phone, but it's comfortable, and instead of just transmitting voice, it pumps all audio into the little speaker inside the headset and bypasses the soundcard).

phoenixrebirth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 phoenixrebirth
Member since 2006 • 899 Posts

Yea the wireless gaming receiver is cool. I did hear some bad things when trying to use it to connect the wireless headset though. Feedback that everyone else hears but u.

Connecting it to a 360 controller is real easy if a game supports it, Some gamesauto detect the controller and all u have to is goto options and switch from kb /m to xbox360 controller. Others games with just detect it and u can use both if u want. Only thing is if the game itself doesnt have an option to change the button config yur pretty much stuck. U cant use like a program that comes with the logitech rumble wireless controller to customize the buttons, x, y axises,POV, etcthe way u like before running the game but itscool overall.And the receiver is $20. U're not gonna take a big loss if u try it out.

I have been able to use the controller with City of Hero's / City of Villans, any ported game from the 360, Tomb Raider Anniversary, etc. I havent been able to use it with Infernal or BF2142. I actually dont think u'd wanna use a controller with BF2142 but hey. To each his own.

Inuasha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Inuasha
Member since 2007 • 28 Posts
The wired usb 360 controller is PnP for the PC, but the wireless is different. There are different versions of the wireless 360 controller; make sure if you get the wireless version that you are getting the one that works with the PC. If you get the new black wireless 360 controller it will work fine with the 360 and the PC. pssh, leave it to microsoft to release a new line of black controllers after everyone's already bought the white ones...
delirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 delirin
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts
[QUOTE="delirin"]

Works like a charm for shadowbane and a few platformers I've put off playing for lack of a controller. (btw, I went back to mounse/keyboard for shadowbane ;) )

Ein-7919

Wait...Shadowbane as in the MMO? If they have a choice, why would anybody use a controller other than a Kb/M setup for an MMO other than FFXI?

shadowrun, sorry lol FPS. But on the mmo discussion, Age of Conan is going to have controller support too for the xbox 360... how that suits the gameplay, I guess we'll see.

Bamdude89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bamdude89
Member since 2006 • 1002 Posts
Does games like GTR 2 support the controller?