2nd GPU not detected anymore...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -

Last night I was transfering my PC from my HAFX to the HAFXB (technically a downgrade, but i'm kinda tired of lugging that thing around for LAN) and when i started the PC up, everything seemed ok, except that SLI isn't working anymore... 2nd GPU is not detected at all.

I've tried swapping GPUs to see if one of them is faulty... THey both work just fine when they on the primary PCIE slot.

I swapped the SLI bridge. No difference.

I removed and reseated the GPUs. No difference.

I reinstalled the drivers. Nothing. Uninstalled, DriverSweeper, Resintalled. Nothing.

I'm fearing that the 2nd PCIE slot is dead. I'm not even sure if it should work, but I tried seating only 1 GPU and on the 2nd PCIE, the PC boots up fine (as in no error beeping), but no image on the Monitor. If it is dead, I'm assuming there's not much I can do correct? It was quite weird as well, cause at some point when I put monitor 1 on GPU 1 and monitor 2 on GPU 2, NVCP placed both Monitors on the 1st GPU (in that little image) but no image on monitor2. Anything else I can try to get it to work?

If not, then it raises another question... I have an i5 2500k which doesn't support PCIE 3.0, so obviously if I get a Z77 Board, it won't utilize the PCIE 3.0... Anything else I'll be missing out? If I'm not mistaken, I won't be able to use USB 3.0 as well no? Might be wrong on this one though...

And of course, what's a good high-end Mobo for Z77  ranging from 150-250$ (OK i've been browsing, looking for some, noticed all these high-end ones like AsRock Extreme4 / 6 or Asus Maximus, etc, they have very few USB ports =[ I have tons of peripherals though)

#2 Posted by Kinthalis (5340 posts) -

It's probably a dead PCIe slot. I had one just a few months back. It started going on me, sometimes my second card was there, then it wasn't on and off, until it never came back. And yeah, if it's dead, you can't really do antyhing about it. What you cna do is make sure the issue isn't some dirt or bad conneciton witht he PCIE lanes. Use a flat tool with a soft tip and some alcohol (unplug your PC first of course!) and clean it, and make sure there isn't anything that might prevent the PCIE card from sitting properly. Do the same for the connectors on your cards. If you still have issues, yeah it's probably a dead PCIE slot (likely some power component feeding the lanes is gone).

I'd recommend the ASrock boards for affordability and features. I upgraded to an Ivy Bridge i7 when this happenned to me, andpicked up an ASrock Extreme 4 for like $100 on sale. Super happy with it. If you stick to sandy bridge, then yeah, you'll have to forgo PCIe 3, but not USB 3, those are still available on the older chipset. I would suggest going ivy bridge, and selling your CPU on Ebay. That's what I did - total upgrade price after Ebay sale of my i5 2500k: $250.

#3 Posted by Blistrax (1071 posts) -

Logic suggests that you made a mistake in assembly when you moved the parts over. Be sure there isn't a standoff in the wrong place (the only way to be 100% sure is to take the mobo out). If it was me, I'd take the mobo out, lay it on a static bag, go have a snack, and then come back and put it back together. Nobody ever follows that advice, though. They do come back later, though, and report something plugged in wrong or a pinched wire or some other physical problem that would have been revealed by doing what I said.

#4 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -

Logic suggests that you made a mistake in assembly when you moved the parts over. Be sure there isn't a standoff in the wrong place (the only way to be 100% sure is to take the mobo out). If it was me, I'd take the mobo out, lay it on a static bag, go have a snack, and then come back and put it back together. Nobody ever follows that advice, though. They do come back later, though, and report something plugged in wrong or a pinched wire or some other physical problem that would have been revealed by doing what I said.

Blistrax
Wouldn't an incorrect standoff outright short the Mobo? Eitherway, removing the mobo is very easy with this case thanks to the moving mobo tray. So I'll try your way plus what Kinthalis said (making sure the lane is clean)
#5 Posted by Blistrax (1071 posts) -

Wouldn't an incorrect standoff outright short the Mobo? trastamad03

Yes, but sometimes you get lucky, and it just made it not work and didn't destroy anything.

#6 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -

[QUOTE="trastamad03"] Wouldn't an incorrect standoff outright short the Mobo? Blistrax

Yes, but sometimes you get lucky, and it just made it not work and didn't destroy anything.

Well I doubt i place one by accident, but i'll still completely remove the mobo and check for anything blocking the lane, might as well double for the standoff. Thanks.
#7 Posted by BPoole96 (22813 posts) -

I know for my motherboard when I added a second card I had a manually activate the second PCIe port in the BIOS before my card was detected. Try putting 1 card in the second slot and see if its detected to make sure its not a dead PCIe slot though.

#8 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -

I know for my motherboard when I added a second card I had a manually activate the second PCIe port in the BIOS before my card was detected. Try putting 1 card in the second slot and see if its detected to make sure its not a dead PCIe slot though.

BPoole96
When i have a GPU occupying the 2nd PCIE slot, i get no picture, even for the POST/Bios, I don't see anything...
#9 Posted by GTR12 (10052 posts) -

Has your mobo got one of those clear CMOS buttons? it wouldn't hurt just resetting and starting from scratch, you'll obviously have to re-overclock.

#10 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

Blistrax
[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

trastamad03
When i have a GPU occupying the 2nd PCIE slot, i get no picture, even for the POST/Bios, I don't see anything...

Didn't you say you had issues with that sli bridge? It's most likely the PCI-E slot. Are you still under warranty by any chance? Or maybe it's time for a new motherboard. I wouldn't use that sli bridge again. Use the new one if you get a replacement or new motherboard.
#11 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blistrax"] [QUOTE="trastamad03"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Elann2008

Didn't you say you had issues with that sli bridge? It's most likely the PCI-E slot. Are you still under warranty by any chance? Or maybe it's time for a new motherboard. I wouldn't use that sli bridge again. Use the new one if you get a replacement or new motherboard.

It's definitely the PCIE Slot that's dead... I pretty much tried everything in this thread, nothing. I tried different SLI bridges, none of them worked... Guess I'll go with the ASRock Extreme4 or the Asus Sabertooth (huge price difference though)... Personally i trust Asus more... but I don't know, is it worth it... Anyone can vouch for the Extreme4 in terms of reliability/stability, is it durable? I've been hearing people say the PCB feels cheap and the drivers are weird...

#12 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="Blistrax"] When i have a GPU occupying the 2nd PCIE slot, i get no picture, even for the POST/Bios, I don't see anything... trastamad03

It's definitely the PCIE Slot that's dead... I pretty much tried everything in this thread, nothing. I tried different SLI bridges, none of them worked... Guess I'll go with the ASRock Extreme4 or the Asus Sabertooth (huge price difference though)... Personally i trust Asus more... but I don't know, is it worth it... Anyone can vouch for the Extreme4 in terms of reliability/stability, is it durable? I've been hearing people say the PCB feels cheap and the drivers are weird...

Others on here that have used Extreme4 will probably say it's a good board. Personally, for me, I had a very unstable, faulty Extreme4 that I RMA'ed. I didn't even want a replacement. I would go with Asus. I've had Asus boards in the past and I never had an issue, and they are quality/stable motherboards. You can read the reviews on Newegg for Extreme4. There are a ton of negative reviews. I just wanted to point that out - not that you shouldn't buy it. It's a hit or miss board.. you might get lucky but why take that chance.
#13 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -
[QUOTE="trastamad03"]

[QUOTE="Elann2008"] Didn't you say you had issues with that sli bridge? It's most likely the PCI-E slot. Are you still under warranty by any chance? Or maybe it's time for a new motherboard. I wouldn't use that sli bridge again. Use the new one if you get a replacement or new motherboard.Elann2008

Others on here that have used Extreme4 will probably say it's a good board. Personally, for me, I had a very unstable, faulty Extreme4 that I RMA'ed. I didn't even want a replacement. I would go with Asus. I've had Asus boards in the past and I never had an issue, and they are quality/stable motherboards. You can read the reviews on Newegg for Extreme4. There are a ton of negative reviews. I just wanted to point that out - not that you shouldn't buy it. It's a hit or miss board.. you might get lucky but why take that chance.

Ya that's pretty much why i've been like... Uuuhhhm, should i get the Extreme4 or not? ... I think i'm just gonna get the Sabertooth and be done with it.. It'll look great in the HAFXB :D
#14 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="trastamad03"]

trastamad03

Ya that's pretty much why i've been like... Uuuhhhm, should i get the Extreme4 or not? ... I think i'm just gonna get the Sabertooth and be done with it.. It'll look great in the HAFXB :D

Good call. Enjoy it bro!
#15 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="trastamad03"][QUOTE="Elann2008"] Others on here that have used Extreme4 will probably say it's a good board. Personally, for me, I had a very unstable, faulty Extreme4 that I RMA'ed. I didn't even want a replacement. I would go with Asus. I've had Asus boards in the past and I never had an issue, and they are quality/stable motherboards. You can read the reviews on Newegg for Extreme4. There are a ton of negative reviews. I just wanted to point that out - not that you shouldn't buy it. It's a hit or miss board.. you might get lucky but why take that chance.

Good call. Enjoy it bro!

Hmm, some people are recommending me MSI Big BANG MPOWER as well... Either that or Sabertooth :o
#16 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
[QUOTE="trastamad03"][QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="trastamad03"] Ya that's pretty much why i've been like... Uuuhhhm, should i get the Extreme4 or not? ... I think i'm just gonna get the Sabertooth and be done with it.. It'll look great in the HAFXB :D

Good call. Enjoy it bro!

Hmm, some people are recommending me MSI Big BANG MPOWER as well... Either that or Sabertooth :o

Mpower is an excellent motherboard. MSI is all about stability with their current lineup. As long as you stay with their upper-tier motherboards, you'll get all the bells and whistles for overclocking + stability.
#17 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="trastamad03"][QUOTE="Elann2008"] Good call. Enjoy it bro!

Mpower is an excellent motherboard. MSI is all about stability with their current lineup. As long as you stay with their upper-tier motherboards, you'll get all the bells and whistles for overclocking + stability.

Ya I think i'm gonna go with MSI this time :o I've used their mobos/GPUs before and was quite happy. Thanks man :)
#18 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
Anytime mate. :D
#19 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -
While it's shipping... Anyone know a way to get my PC back up and running without having to reinstall windows + everything else again >_> ?
#20 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
While it's shipping... Anyone know a way to get my PC back up and running without having to reinstall windows + everything else again >_> ?trastamad03
Sorry, why isn't your PC up and running? I thought it was just that one PCI-E slot that is defective?
#21 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -

[QUOTE="trastamad03"]While it's shipping... Anyone know a way to get my PC back up and running without having to reinstall windows + everything else again >_> ?Elann2008
Sorry, why isn't your PC up and running? I thought it was just that one PCI-E slot that is defective?

It's working now, i meant when i get my new mobo and install it. In the past I've always reinstalled EVERYTHING back when switching motherboards, from windows to every program to games... just wondering if there's a shortcut.

#22 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="trastamad03"]While it's shipping... Anyone know a way to get my PC back up and running without having to reinstall windows + everything else again >_> ?trastamad03

It's working now, i meant when i get my new mobo and install it. In the past I've always reinstalled EVERYTHING back when switching motherboards, from windows to every program to games... just wondering if there's a shortcut.

Well, what I did when my Asrock Extreme4 crapped out, and I put back my MSI board; all I did was uninstall the Asrock motherboard's drivers (I didn't install any utilities). And then I just proceeded to install MSI's drivers. Got the Windows activation online check and that was it. I've never had issues doing it this way.

Go into device managers and double check everything.

It is RECOMMENDED to do a fresh windows install to avoid driver conflicts, or if your system won't startup. If for some reason you cannot startup from the old HDD, do a windows repair or clean install.

#23 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -

[QUOTE="trastamad03"]

[QUOTE="Elann2008"] Sorry, why isn't your PC up and running? I thought it was just that one PCI-E slot that is defective?Elann2008

Well, what I did when my Asrock Extreme4 crapped out, and I put back my MSI board; all I did was uninstall the Asrock motherboard's drivers (I didn't install any utilities). And then I just proceeded to install MSI's drivers. Got the Windows activation online check and that was it. I've never had issues doing it this way.

Go into device managers and double check everything.

It is RECOMMENDED to do a fresh windows install to avoid driver conflicts, or if your system won't startup. If for some reason you cannot startup from the old HDD, do a windows repair or clean install.

Ya that's what I was thinking of doing as well... I know it's recommeded to do a fresh windows install, but i'm feelin' too lazy :P I just wanna pop it in and enjoy the 2x GTX 670s to their fullest. I'm just gonna go safe and install it over my current windows, so i won't need to backup anything, less headache on the long run

#24 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -
Installed the mobo, everything's working perfectly. All that's left to do is OC :D
#25 Posted by kraken2109 (13208 posts) -
Installed the mobo, everything's working perfectly. All that's left to do is OC :Dtrastamad03
I guess that's a relief.
#26 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -
[QUOTE="trastamad03"]Installed the mobo, everything's working perfectly. All that's left to do is OC :Dkraken2109
I guess that's a relief.

Definitely. It was kinda clear something was up with the 2nd PCIE slot. Randomly switching from 2.0 speeds to 1.1 speeds. Sometimes GPU not showing up, till I switched cases and it completely killed it. I'm happy i don't need to replace anything else now (could have been an issue with the GPU).
#27 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
Change your sig man. :P How's the MPower doing? I wanna see you overclock it to 4.5GHz with modest voltage. Report back!
#28 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -
Change your sig man. :P How's the MPower doing? I wanna see you overclock it to 4.5GHz with modest voltage. Report back!Elann2008
I will once i get home :D
#29 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -
Change your sig man. :P How's the MPower doing? I wanna see you overclock it to 4.5GHz with modest voltage. Report back!Elann2008
I didn't get to OC it to 4.5 yet, didn't get the chance to mess around much, but it's up to 4.2 like before... Here's a few pics of the setup though :O Hopefully that pleases you :D http://imgur.com/a/9GF7p#0
#30 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]Change your sig man. :P How's the MPower doing? I wanna see you overclock it to 4.5GHz with modest voltage. Report back!trastamad03
I didn't get to OC it to 4.5 yet, didn't get the chance to mess around much, but it's up to 4.2 like before... Here's a few pics of the setup though :O Hopefully that pleases you :D http://imgur.com/a/9GF7p#0

That's a cool little pc case you got there. Nice for Lan Party. It looks awesome man. Great stuff.