18 months in. Why arent you on Vista?

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

I am curious for the reasons people are not using Vista.

I myself am still running XP and for the foreseeable future I wont be getting Vista.

My reasons are price, compatability headaches, ease of use, games benchmark worse on vista than XP, game requirements being higher because Vista is a system ho.

Really, I probably wont get Vista until the big players drop XP support for their products.

CnC_Freak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CnC_Freak
Member since 2004 • 957 Posts
I don't use it because all my friends who have had it have "UPGRADED" to windows XP
wackys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#3 wackys
Member since 2005 • 1315 Posts
I have a pretty crap CPU ATM and I want to change it before I go on Vista.There that's why.
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts

XP is very familiar to me, it functions very well and I can run absolutely every single game I want to run. All I see from Vista is compatability issues and steeper hardware requirements. Doesn't seem worth it, somehow.

If many games went Vista exclusive, I would consider changing to Vista - after all, my PC is primarily a gaming machine. So far it seems that the only Vista exclusive that interests me is Alan Wake, and I'm currently expecting an XP fix, just like there's been for all the other Vista exclusives.

psychot1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 psychot1c
Member since 2007 • 110 Posts
Waiting to build my new rig, Then I'll switch over.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
I was like that.
I wanted to stick with XP, but when I got my new rig, I upgraded to Vista, and I'm glad I did.
Bahaa3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 Bahaa3000
Member since 2006 • 828 Posts
I was like that.
I wanted to stick with XP, but when I got my new rig, I upgraded to Vista, and I'm glad I did.Doom_HellKnight
Same here man , i thought i would never need Visa . But after 1 week of using i started to realise how amazing this windows is
-Origin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 -Origin-
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts
Because I really like XP :) I won't move to vista until I absolutely must. Or until there's a game I really want to play and it's a vista exlcusive, but I doubt that will ever happen because dev's can't make enough money from a game if they specify too much. Just look at Shadowrun... The company who made that game doesn't even exisit anymore...
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

I am curious for the reasons people are not using Vista.

I myself am still running XP and for the foreseeable future I wont be getting Vista.

My reasons are price, compatability headaches, ease of use, games benchmark worse on vista than XP, game requirements being higher because Vista is a system ho.

Really, I probably wont get Vista until the big players drop XP support for their products.

bonafidetk

Same reasons here.

Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts
Why bother buying Vista, when XP works fine?
-Master_St3ve-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -Master_St3ve-
Member since 2007 • 1421 Posts
Theres no point.
Blank3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 Blank3k
Member since 2005 • 624 Posts

I've used Vista x64 Ultimate since launch (on the pc i built for vista).. and its by far the best OS ive used, would never go back to XP.

As long as you have a good system, Vista shines bright. (This is why alot of people downgrade to XP, off-the-shelve PC's still arent designed for vista, there generally just higher-end XP systems with 3gb ram insted of 2. (I run 8gb)...

For those wanting to goto vista, i reccomend to have atleast a E6600 processor / 4gb ram & use 64bit version of vista. (32bit has ram a 3gb RAM cap[those who say it doesnt, are very wrong.])

kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kingfire11
Member since 2005 • 1498 Posts

Theres no point for me, DX10 alone isnt worth it IMO.

plus Vista is slower, and for a mid-range gamer like me it would kill my performance.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Because Vista costs money to get, does nothing real for gaming (DX10 is minscule at best), compatability issues for older games, and Vista is a resource hog, tending to run games worse then XP.
Budz420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Budz420
Member since 2007 • 152 Posts
coz me pc wud run slowa if a downloadad that
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 Jade_Monkey
Member since 2004 • 4830 Posts
I am staying with XP because there are no DX10 games that I could actually max on DX10 (Crysis), because of drievr support, and because I don't have the money to get it right now. I have a list of upgrades to get for my PC and a new OS is pretty low on that list.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

Because the good things about Vista are largely negated by the bad things, making what is overall a slightly better OS than XP. As a general OS, it has some small advantages over XP. But as a gaming OS, it's easily disadvantaged. Faster launch times and DX10 just don't make up for many compatibility issues and slightly lower performance. I could just use a dual-boot system like my father does, but, egh, I just don't have any real need to. XP does everything I really care about as well as or better than Vista, and Vista has a bunch of minor advantages otherwise that are neat but that I just don't care enough about. I'll probably just end up dual-booting XP and Windows 7 - depending on what that's like a little while after it's come out - skipping Vista altogether. We'll see.

SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts

I've been using Vista since the early RCs and haven't ran into very many problems at all. XP had a MUCH worse launch as far as compatibility/security and stability went. The only downlside to Vista IMO is how resource intensive it is...especially when concerning ram. Then again, you can get 4GB of ram with moderate latency for around $100 these days.....

Overall I just hate being limited to my gaming options. I would much rather sacrifice a few FPS in certain games instead of having to say "damn I can't play this game because it's Vista exclusive" or "I can't enable these effects because XP doesn't support it". I guess that's just me though.

nevereathim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nevereathim
Member since 2006 • 2161 Posts
Vista is a good OS, to me, I don't understand why so many people hate it....most of them probably just took one look at Vista at launch and decided they wanted XP instead
Meska2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Meska2
Member since 2006 • 392 Posts
I have had Vista on my computer but it was just not working out for me.
I couldnt run most programs and it ran pretty slow. i dont have a High-End computer, nor do i have the money to build one.
so all in all, XP does what i want it to do : )
and happy with that.

i possibly might get Windows 7, we will see : P
BLKR4330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BLKR4330
Member since 2006 • 1698 Posts
Vista simply offers me nothing I can't easily do without at the moment (e.g. directX 10 and 4+ gb of ram).
ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts

1. Not able to run my old games on vista. So i went back to XP.

2. Vista sucks for new games.

3. Lots of errors i had to resolve when i got it.

4. I continue to get lots of vista errors that never happen on XP.

Vista is just a total mess.

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

Vista is a system ho.

bonafidetk

Ya, what a HO! :)

But seriously, I run Vista and given the choice between the XP and Vista, I would stick with Vista. But honestly XP is a great OS to stick with it too.

YourOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 YourOldFriend
Member since 2005 • 4196 Posts
I'm waiting for Windows 7 since XP has the compatibility and efficiency I desire and Vista doesn't have enough exclusives to warrant its purchase.
dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts
I've been using Vista 64x for a while now, and I don't think that I'll ever go back to XP. I can't say that it's a better gaming platform than XP, but it is definately a more stable OS. I can't remember the last time my computer has ever crashed. Programs crash, sure. But I never have to restart my machine when they do, which really cuts down on the frustration.
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts
I didnt want vista until I built my new pc a couple weeks ago and I am really glad I chose vista 64 :).
jcoe85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jcoe85
Member since 2008 • 48 Posts
I've been on vista 64 ultimate for about 6 months and I don't see why so many people are against it. Maybe earlier versions weren't as stable but believe me its fine. I still have XP though because Cubase SX3 doesn't work on Vista, but that is an old DAW and Cubase 4 is Vista compatible which I will get one day when I feel its worth paying the price. But as I have said, getting Vista now you will not have any problems unless you want to use software more than say 3 years old and even then if you right-click the .exe file you can choose a compatability mode to run it as if you are in XP, NT, 98 & 95 anyway. So if you want Vista, get it.
jcoe85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jcoe85
Member since 2008 • 48 Posts
Oh, btw I have a new computer so I can't comment on what its like on older systems.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Overall I just hate being limited to my gaming options. I would much rather sacrifice a few FPS in certain games instead of having to say "damn I can't play this game because it's Vista exclusive" or "I can't enable these effects because XP doesn't support it". I guess that's just me though. SuperBeast

So, what game is Vista exclusive?

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

the question for me is...why would i upgrade? XP is ticking along very nicely for me...solid as a rock. games look very perty and run nicely. it boots fast enough too. so im happy with XP.

im not saying vista is terrible (though i had a terrible experience with it initally..but id imagine thats all sorted now) and if i was getting a new computer then i would get vista for it. but the only reaosn i can think of for upgrading to vista now is DX10 but theres 2 problems with that

1) my hardware isnt even remotely close enough to make DX10 run properly. id have to knock most games back to DX9 levels. the API just eats hardware for breakfast.

2) DX10 support from developers is woeful to say the least. with multiplat becoming the norm, fewer games are pushing the boundaries. with the consoles being basically at a DX9 level, developers are just not interested in supporting DX10 (not that im blaming consoles...thats just the way it is).

besides that...vista offers nothing that im interested in.

so for now..im indifferent to it.

promajo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 promajo
Member since 2007 • 174 Posts
because I bought Windows XP and money doesn't grow on trees, so as long as I don't NEED it, XP is fine
Memoryitis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Memoryitis
Member since 2006 • 2221 Posts

Vista takes a load of memory and RAM

Incompatible with old games

Too many bugs

it sucks

nicknees93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nicknees93
Member since 2005 • 3250 Posts
i have vista on my new rig, i'm loving it.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
I own Vista and it's a headache to use. I have my PC on dual boot and I'm never on my Vista side. Games run slower, things have a tendency to not work, and it just feels bloated to use. I prefer XP's interface too.
fivex84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fivex84
Member since 2006 • 1216 Posts
I got it and love it. Although I did start dual-booting XP so I can use GameTap.
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

XP is very familiar to me, it functions very well and I can run absolutely every single game I want to run. All I see from Vista is compatability issues and steeper hardware requirements. Doesn't seem worth it, somehow.

If many games went Vista exclusive, I would consider changing to Vista - after all, my PC is primarily a gaming machine. So far it seems that the only Vista exclusive that interests me is Alan Wake, and I'm currently expecting an XP fix, just like there's been for all the other Vista exclusives.

fatshodan

Pretty much...THIS^

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
it's not neccessary.
oscar530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 oscar530
Member since 2005 • 4430 Posts
Because I love XP hell I'm getting XP for my next build
G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts

I run Vista (and XP on dual-boot, or rather I was until a long complicated story involving accidentally wiping both hard-drives and then getting annoyed that I couldn't turn on PAE), and it works fine for me.

And honestly there's very little in the way of compatability issues anyway (aside from really old games), so I don't hit many problems at all in general day to day use.

That being said, I could also run XP if I wanted and have the same end results.

DeadMann420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DeadMann420
Member since 2007 • 568 Posts
I have been a Vista hating, XP purest in till about a month ago when i upgraded and let me tell you, I'm not looking back... ever.

I think that vista just got a lot of bad press for being so closed source and eventually we will all have Vista and be hating on "Windows 7" for being "new".

With Vista my computer runs better, looks better, performs better, and all around is just funner to use.

Honestly all i can say is give it a try if you like the Windows platform (just make sure to have LOTS of HDD space because vista eats it up).

If you don't like Windows (or videogames)then download Linux Insted :P
Manyac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Manyac
Member since 2005 • 572 Posts

about vista eating up HDD space, make sure you have limited how much the auto system restore uses, b/c this is a common problem that if you leave itas unlimited it just eats up your space..

anyway, vista is great, never going back to xp

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#42 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts
Because xp is a party, and vista isn't invited. but really, xp seems to be more stable. i have vista on my school laptop, and when it works it's fine, but it seems to screw up a lot. it just seems slower and more frustrating to work with. so far every vista exclusive has been cracked for xp, and almost all dx10 effects have been enabled in xp through tweaking. if your willing to go behind the law, there is really no reason to spend money on vista. unless you have a thing for suck.
wood_duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wood_duck
Member since 2007 • 990 Posts
It's not a neccesity at the moment, not to mention I have better things to spend my money on, like a new graphics card.
DeadMann420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DeadMann420

about vista eating up HDD space, make sure you have limited how much the auto system restore uses, b/c this is a common problem that if you leave itas unlimited it just eats up your space..

anyway, vista is great, never going back to xp

Manyac

Unlimited? i checked my Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space and it was around 90 gigs. seeing as i have two 640 gig HDDs i dont mind... is this what your are talking about?
Rob_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Rob_101
Member since 2004 • 3291 Posts
There is no reason for me to downgrade to vista yet.
DeadMann420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DeadMann420

Because xp is a party, and vista isn't invited. but really, xp seems to be more stable. i have vista on my school laptop, and when it works it's fine, but it seems to screw up a lot. it just seems slower and more frustrating to work with. so far every vista exclusive has been cracked for xp, and almost all dx10 effects have been enabled in xp through tweaking. if your willing to go behind the law, there is really no reason to spend money on vista. unless you have a thing for suck. with_teeth26

Not exactly, Tricking and hacking Dx9 to do Dx10's job just doesn't do it justice.

Take Crysis for instance...

(This link shows: XP faking Dx10 VS Vista Dx10)

http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15652

Sorry bro, Shader Model 4 is vista only :3

shalashaska88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 shalashaska88
Member since 2005 • 3198 Posts

Because my gaming PC is also the family's PC, so not all of them are ready to jump into Vista. I use Vista on my weaker college PC, and though I found it to be quite stable these days, it has some issues with older softwares, games like Max Payne and all.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

[QUOTE="with_teeth26"]Because xp is a party, and vista isn't invited. but really, xp seems to be more stable. i have vista on my school laptop, and when it works it's fine, but it seems to screw up a lot. it just seems slower and more frustrating to work with. so far every vista exclusive has been cracked for xp, and almost all dx10 effects have been enabled in xp through tweaking. if your willing to go behind the law, there is really no reason to spend money on vista. unless you have a thing for suck. DeadMann420

Not exactly, Tricking and hacking Dx9 to do Dx10's job just doesn't do it justice.

Take Crysis for instance...

(This link shows: XP faking Dx10 VS Vista Dx10)

http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15652

Sorry bro, Shader Model 4 is vista only :3

The only difference between Vista and XP very high there that I see is slightly better shadow shaders and possibly a slightly greater draw distance on Vista, and they're barely noticeable.

Avatar image for remmbermytitans
remmbermytitans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 remmbermytitans
Member since 2005 • 7214 Posts
Hmm.. Well, price is a factor, but so is the fact that I really don't NEED it. I like XP, it's familiar, and it's easy to use. However, maybe when the price drops, or if Windows 7 comes out sooner rather than later, then who knows. Maybe I will.
raunaq_morarka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 raunaq_morarka
Member since 2004 • 88 Posts

fatshodan