$150 for Alpha access in a free to play game

#1 Edited by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

And the trend continues....

Archeage just announced its "founder's packs" which feature alpha access if you want to shell out $150 for it.

No you are not pre-ordering this game....it is FREE to play on release.

No worries to the delusional on this forum who support this practice, as it is obviously here to stay because enough idiots in the world have nothing better to do with their money than pay rich people to test their game for them. This will be the last thread I create with this topic, I surrender.

#2 Posted by PredatorRules (8170 posts) -

They should pay me for testing it, not the opposite.

#3 Edited by naz99 (1401 posts) -

Wait until the game is out then play it for free?

Did not realise you was being forced into spending all that money for the founders pack...

#4 Edited by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

@naz99 said:

Wait until the game is out then play it for free?

Did not realise you was being forced into spending all that money for the founders pack...

I'll take cliche replies for $500 Alex.....

#5 Edited by krazyorange (2624 posts) -

People stupid enough to buy something like this deserve to have their stupid money wasted on stupid things.

#6 Edited by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

@naz99 said:

Wait until the game is out then play it for free?

Did not realise you was being forced into spending all that money for the founders pack...

I'll take cliche replies for $500 Alex.....

orrrr....just dont buy it. Next I bet you'll complain about the star citizen pack prices, too. The $15,000 one is sold out

#7 Edited by -wildflower- (2867 posts) -

A fool and his or her money are easily parted. Ultimately, I couldn't care less because I have more sense than money so it doesn't affect me at all. I'm not buying it.

While it's not true for this particular game, many of these high-priced alpha/beta buy-ins are due to them originally being higher tiered Kickstarter "perks." If somebody pledges $60+ specifically to get "alpha access" on a crowd-sourced game it would be pretty crappy of a developer to charge the general public less for the same access. The $60+ Kickstart fans, those who took a chance and funded the original vision, would be peeved (to put it mildly) and, for a small developer, that would be very bad business.

Not everything is a scam.

#8 Edited by FelipeInside (25677 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

And the trend continues....

Archeage just announced its "founder's packs" which feature alpha access if you want to shell out $150 for it.

No you are not pre-ordering this game....it is FREE to play on release.

No worries to the delusional on this forum who support this practice, as it is obviously here to stay because enough idiots in the world have nothing better to do with their money than pay rich people to test their game for them. This will be the last thread I create with this topic, I surrender.

Waits for KHAndAnime to defend this...

#9 Posted by nutcrackr (12641 posts) -

These guys have clearly identified a huge gold mine in the industry. A small fraction of gamers are happy to pay premium to jump into the next thing well before it's finished.

#10 Posted by GodLovesDead (9752 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

And the trend continues....

Archeage just announced its "founder's packs" which feature alpha access if you want to shell out $150 for it.

No you are not pre-ordering this game....it is FREE to play on release.

No worries to the delusional on this forum who support this practice, as it is obviously here to stay because enough idiots in the world have nothing better to do with their money than pay rich people to test their game for them. This will be the last thread I create with this topic, I surrender.

Developers = rich people? This thread is so delusional, it belongs on its own planet.

#11 Edited by KHAndAnime (13907 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

@vfibsux said:

And the trend continues....

Archeage just announced its "founder's packs" which feature alpha access if you want to shell out $150 for it.

No you are not pre-ordering this game....it is FREE to play on release.

No worries to the delusional on this forum who support this practice, as it is obviously here to stay because enough idiots in the world have nothing better to do with their money than pay rich people to test their game for them. This will be the last thread I create with this topic, I surrender.

Waits for KHAndAnime to defend this...

Do I need to? I already won these arguments in previous threads. We don't really need to beat around the same bush. (See: Planetary Annihilation $100 Early Access Thread).

Vfibsux doesn't understand what it means to participate in the development process. He doesn't know what an alpha is, or a beta is, etc. To some people, it is worth $150 to able to participate in a game's development - by suggesting features and having a decision in how the game will be by the time people like you and vfibsux get to play it. (Tip: Participating in TES Beta =/= participating in an alpha of a game). Furthermore, the price pretty much decides the value of the opinion's being put in on the project. The higher price of the alpha - the less people buy into it, thus less amounts of people are pitching and suggesting game features. In the end, the people who want to spend their money on it do...and are satisfied. The people who don't want to spend money on it don't have to...and are satisfied. In the end, every one is satisfied, and all that's left are trolls like Vfibsux, who don't fit into the equation at all, thus having no relevant commentary.

Vfibsux, do you plan to make a thread every time one of these projects arise? You already missed a few, and there are bound to be millions more down the road because this is becoming a new trend in videogame development. You might as well request a "Early Access" complaint sticky so you don't have to make a thread every time you're mad that you don't get to play unfinished games for free.

#12 Posted by Mcspanky37 (1695 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

@naz99 said:

Wait until the game is out then play it for free?

Did not realise you was being forced into spending all that money for the founders pack...

I'll take cliche replies for $500 Alex.....

I'll take "owned and have no response" for $1,000...

#13 Edited by Garfield360UK (19749 posts) -

Lets cool the talk on calling each other idiots please. You can discuss how you feel about early access games but you do not need to resort to calling people idiots if they think different.

Thank you.

#14 Posted by airshocker (29919 posts) -

If you don't want to pay, then don't pay. But lets stop complaining about this already. No one is being forced to do anything.

#15 Posted by blangenakker (2393 posts) -

Better reason to wait

#16 Posted by uninspiredcup (8995 posts) -

Aye, fuck that and fuck early access. Scam bullshit and crap armature games.

#17 Posted by Old_Gooseberry (3752 posts) -

Even if the game was good it wouldnt be worth it... i never heard of this game, but i just looked it up and it looks crappy. the graphics look pretty bad.

Actually the graphics kinda look like Vanguards, it was a failed Sony mmo. Anyways, looks dated and buggy like Vanguard.

#18 Edited by airshocker (29919 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Aye, fuck that and fuck early access. Scam bullshit and crap armature games.

Armature? rofl. Did you really just fuck up the spelling of "amateur"?

#19 Edited by groowagon (2823 posts) -

it's called funding. it's meant for people who want to support the development of the game. it's not meant for regular consumers. i mean, many people have opted for +$100 packages in many Kickstarter games too even if you could get the game for around $20. amazing that such thing as support exists, right?

wtf you people crying about these expensive early access things? just don't fucking buy it! wait for the final. you are acting as if someone would be forcing you to buy it.

"someone is selling a game for $150 somewhere. i don't give a fuck about the game, but it still ruined my life".

#20 Posted by Gamerno66666 (161 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Aye, fuck that and fuck early access. Scam bullshit and crap amateur games.

This.

#21 Posted by Maroxad (8345 posts) -

I used to be really hyped for this game, but after its Korean Launch and now this I can say I no longer care. That said, it is called Capitalism, so let them do what they choose, clearly one of the biggest reasons for such a high early access fee is to cut out all but the most hyped of people, this is to set a bar.

#22 Edited by Gladestone1 (5550 posts) -

Im in both alphas in elite an star citizen..Im enjoying the alpha in elite atm..I paid 300 bucks for both games..Elite is such a masterpiece its amazing..Its close to beta even..You guys will be pleasantly surprised at the game an how good it is..So worth paying for that alpha im not even upset about it..Its like flying in my own xwing..You guys make fun of people paying 150 to test there fav game..Im all for this..Ive been a backer of divinity also..Its been a amazing ride..How far they came..Its such a fun game also..Kickstarter done right is the best for the devs..Well the ones i truest any way to make good games..

#23 Posted by uninspiredcup (8995 posts) -

@airshocker said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Aye, fuck that and fuck early access. Scam bullshit and crap armature games.

Armature? rofl. Did you really just fuck up the spelling of "amateur"?

Try not to have a heart attack.

#24 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2746 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

They should pay me for testing it, not the opposite.

this

Anyways as long as the idiots keep buying it they'll keep doing it.As for me i choose to ignore everything on early access.

#25 Edited by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@vfibsux said:

@naz99 said:

Wait until the game is out then play it for free?

Did not realise you was being forced into spending all that money for the founders pack...

I'll take cliche replies for $500 Alex.....

orrrr....just dont buy it. Next I bet you'll complain about the star citizen pack prices, too. The $15,000 one is sold out

Ummm, no. Do not compare Kickstarters with large companies like Sony and Trion. With Kickstarters you are funding game which would not be able to be made otherwise, the insane packs they sell are to give people the world in exchange for big money. They are not selling alpha access for $15,000, in fact the cheapest tier ($30) got you alpha access. I bought the $60 pack in Star Citizen because I wanted to help see the game made. It was MY choice to buy that pack. Archeage and Everquest Landmark would be released with or without anyone's assistance. They are cash grabbing by selling alpha access, period.

Don't get me wrong, someone willing to spend $15,000 on anything virtual is insane to me, but I am talking corps here, not gamers.

And again....Archeage is FREE TO PLAY. Star Citizen is a purchase game....therefore can be considered a pre-order.

#26 Edited by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

@GodLovesDead said:

@vfibsux said:

And the trend continues....

Archeage just announced its "founder's packs" which feature alpha access if you want to shell out $150 for it.

No you are not pre-ordering this game....it is FREE to play on release.

No worries to the delusional on this forum who support this practice, as it is obviously here to stay because enough idiots in the world have nothing better to do with their money than pay rich people to test their game for them. This will be the last thread I create with this topic, I surrender.

Developers = rich people? This thread is so delusional, it belongs on its own planet.

Did I say developers, read better. Sony and Trion both have sold alpha access for free to play games, they got money bro.

@KHAndAnime You never "won" shit dude.

#27 Posted by JohnF111 (14093 posts) -

Sure wish I had the money to spend on things like this.

#28 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -

@vfibsux: The game looks interesting. I'll be sure to check it out on release for free.

#29 Posted by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

@wis3boi said:

@vfibsux said:

@naz99 said:

Wait until the game is out then play it for free?

Did not realise you was being forced into spending all that money for the founders pack...

I'll take cliche replies for $500 Alex.....

orrrr....just dont buy it. Next I bet you'll complain about the star citizen pack prices, too. The $15,000 one is sold out

Ummm, no. Do not compare Kickstarters with large companies like Sony and Trion. With Kickstarters you are funding game which would not be able to be made otherwise, the insane packs they sell are to give people the world in exchange for big money. They are not selling alpha access for $15,000, in fact the cheapest tier ($30) got you alpha access. I bought the $60 pack in Star Citizen because I wanted to help see the game made. It was MY choice to buy that pack. Archeage and Everquest Landmark would be released with or without anyone's assistance. They are cash grabbing by selling alpha access, period.

Don't get me wrong, someone willing to spend $15,000 on anything virtual is insane to me, but I am talking corps here, not gamers.

And again....Archeage is FREE TO PLAY. Star Citizen is a purchase game....therefore can be considered a pre-order.

And I can easily buy a $200 pack of coins in LotrO. It really isn't any different. I also have friends that have thrown upwards of $1k at League

#30 Posted by Reaper4278 (338 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@vfibsux said:

@wis3boi said:

@vfibsux said:

@naz99 said:

Wait until the game is out then play it for free?

Did not realise you was being forced into spending all that money for the founders pack...

I'll take cliche replies for $500 Alex.....

orrrr....just dont buy it. Next I bet you'll complain about the star citizen pack prices, too. The $15,000 one is sold out

Ummm, no. Do not compare Kickstarters with large companies like Sony and Trion. With Kickstarters you are funding game which would not be able to be made otherwise, the insane packs they sell are to give people the world in exchange for big money. They are not selling alpha access for $15,000, in fact the cheapest tier ($30) got you alpha access. I bought the $60 pack in Star Citizen because I wanted to help see the game made. It was MY choice to buy that pack. Archeage and Everquest Landmark would be released with or without anyone's assistance. They are cash grabbing by selling alpha access, period.

Don't get me wrong, someone willing to spend $15,000 on anything virtual is insane to me, but I am talking corps here, not gamers.

And again....Archeage is FREE TO PLAY. Star Citizen is a purchase game....therefore can be considered a pre-order.

And I can easily buy a $200 pack of coins in LotrO. It really isn't any different. I also have friends that have thrown upwards of $1k at League

How is that comparable to charging for access to alpha's and beta's of free games? I don't think this is about people throwing money at cash shops, it is about charging for something that has always been a mutual arrangement. You give me access to the game, I will provide feedback for you to help develop it.

#31 Posted by airshocker (29919 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@airshocker said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Aye, fuck that and fuck early access. Scam bullshit and crap armature games.

Armature? rofl. Did you really just fuck up the spelling of "amateur"?

Try not to have a heart attack.

Hahahahahaha.

#32 Posted by Nick3306 (2579 posts) -

Must we have one of these topics every time a new game charges for an alpha release? We get it, you don't like early access stuff, don't buy it and move on with your life.

#33 Edited by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

@reaper4278 said:

@wis3boi said:

@vfibsux said:

@wis3boi said:

@vfibsux said:

@naz99 said:

Wait until the game is out then play it for free?

Did not realise you was being forced into spending all that money for the founders pack...

I'll take cliche replies for $500 Alex.....

orrrr....just dont buy it. Next I bet you'll complain about the star citizen pack prices, too. The $15,000 one is sold out

Ummm, no. Do not compare Kickstarters with large companies like Sony and Trion. With Kickstarters you are funding game which would not be able to be made otherwise, the insane packs they sell are to give people the world in exchange for big money. They are not selling alpha access for $15,000, in fact the cheapest tier ($30) got you alpha access. I bought the $60 pack in Star Citizen because I wanted to help see the game made. It was MY choice to buy that pack. Archeage and Everquest Landmark would be released with or without anyone's assistance. They are cash grabbing by selling alpha access, period.

Don't get me wrong, someone willing to spend $15,000 on anything virtual is insane to me, but I am talking corps here, not gamers.

And again....Archeage is FREE TO PLAY. Star Citizen is a purchase game....therefore can be considered a pre-order.

And I can easily buy a $200 pack of coins in LotrO. It really isn't any different. I also have friends that have thrown upwards of $1k at League

How is that comparable to charging for access to alpha's and beta's of free games? I don't think this is about people throwing money at cash shops, it is about charging for something that has always been a mutual arrangement. You give me access to the game, I will provide feedback for you to help develop it.

Sooo, because it's a f2p game you feel entitled. Right. I don't even care about archage at all, but maybe the fact that people who actually care enough to buy this access will do the company some good instead of giving it out for free for every moron on the web to use it as a demo. If someone likes the game enough to spend money on being a founder, that's all right with me.

#34 Posted by FelipeInside (25677 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

And people wonder why we don't have free demos anymore.... sigh....

#36 Posted by speedfog (3229 posts) -

I think it's a ripp-off

#37 Posted by Reaper4278 (338 posts) -

@Nick3306 said:

Must we have one of these topics every time a new game charges for an alpha release? We get it, you don't like early access stuff, don't buy it and move on with your life.

Lots of people in here (including myself), must be a hot topic. Censorship is baaaaaaaaad dude.

@wis3boi said:

@reaper4278 said:

@wis3boi said:

@vfibsux said:

@wis3boi said:

@vfibsux said:

@naz99 said:

Wait until the game is out then play it for free?

Did not realise you was being forced into spending all that money for the founders pack...

I'll take cliche replies for $500 Alex.....

orrrr....just dont buy it. Next I bet you'll complain about the star citizen pack prices, too. The $15,000 one is sold out

Ummm, no. Do not compare Kickstarters with large companies like Sony and Trion. With Kickstarters you are funding game which would not be able to be made otherwise, the insane packs they sell are to give people the world in exchange for big money. They are not selling alpha access for $15,000, in fact the cheapest tier ($30) got you alpha access. I bought the $60 pack in Star Citizen because I wanted to help see the game made. It was MY choice to buy that pack. Archeage and Everquest Landmark would be released with or without anyone's assistance. They are cash grabbing by selling alpha access, period.

Don't get me wrong, someone willing to spend $15,000 on anything virtual is insane to me, but I am talking corps here, not gamers.

And again....Archeage is FREE TO PLAY. Star Citizen is a purchase game....therefore can be considered a pre-order.

And I can easily buy a $200 pack of coins in LotrO. It really isn't any different. I also have friends that have thrown upwards of $1k at League

How is that comparable to charging for access to alpha's and beta's of free games? I don't think this is about people throwing money at cash shops, it is about charging for something that has always been a mutual arrangement. You give me access to the game, I will provide feedback for you to help develop it.

Sooo, because it's a f2p game you feel entitled. Right. I don't even care about archage at all, but maybe the fact that people who actually care enough to buy this access will do the company some good instead of giving it out for free for every moron on the web to use it as a demo. If someone likes the game enough to spend money on being a founder, that's all right with me.

What is it about pc gamers that they love using this whole "entitlement" thing? I don't feel entitled to anything I do not pay for, was just saying alphas and betas were traditionally a mutual agreement where both sides benefit equally. But you can continue with trying to look like internet cool guy with all the answers, we are all just here to make you look good, right? Enjoy.

#38 Edited by Reaper4278 (338 posts) -

@Geminon said:

@vfibsux said:

@naz99 said:

Wait until the game is out then play it for free?

Did not realise you was being forced into spending all that money for the founders pack...

I'll take cliche replies for $500 Alex.....

What is "overmad and butthurt about something inconsequential"?

DING DING DING

As one who is outspoken on this subject (therefore "butthurt" in your eyes) I am not sure that was necessary. I am not going to dig into your posting history but I am sure you have posted criticism on this forum about things that do not exactly amount to being on the same level of consequence as world hunger. It is a gaming forum after all, how much of any of these topics are of any consequence?

But I get it, there are people on the internet who just get off on this type of posting.

#39 Posted by Geminon (1095 posts) -

@reaper4278 said:

@Geminon said:

@vfibsux said:

@naz99 said:

Wait until the game is out then play it for free?

Did not realise you was being forced into spending all that money for the founders pack...

I'll take cliche replies for $500 Alex.....

What is "overmad and butthurt about something inconsequential"?

DING DING DING

As one who is outspoken on this subject (therefore "butthurt" in your eyes) I am not sure that was necessary. I am not going to dig into your posting history but I am sure you have posted criticism on this forum about things that do not exactly amount to being on the same level of consequence as world hunger. It is a gaming forum after all, how much of any of these topics are of any consequence?

But I get it, there are people on the internet who just get off on this type of posting.

what.... the fuk?

how the hell did world hunger get pulled into this?

#40 Posted by BattleSpectre (6236 posts) -

It doesn't worry me to see this, what did we expect? Unfortunately developers saw idiots paying for early access and are now taking advantage of it. Things will only get worse in the future because of YOU.

#41 Posted by groowagon (2823 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

@vfibsux said:

And people wonder why we don't have free demos anymore.... sigh....

free demos are kinda bad way to fund a game development.

#42 Posted by FelipeInside (25677 posts) -

@groowagon said:

@FelipeInside said:

@vfibsux said:

And people wonder why we don't have free demos anymore.... sigh....

free demos are kinda bad way to fund a game development.

Free Demos with the option to donate towards the fund?

#43 Edited by groowagon (2823 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

@groowagon said:

@FelipeInside said:

@vfibsux said:

And people wonder why we don't have free demos anymore.... sigh....

free demos are kinda bad way to fund a game development.

Free Demos with the option to donate towards the fund?

it could work. not as effective though. slapping a $150 pricetag on early access is also not effective if their plan would be to maximize income, but i don't know why the pricetag is what it is.

#44 Edited by lawlessx (46779 posts) -

@groowagon said:

@FelipeInside said:

@groowagon said:

@FelipeInside said:

@vfibsux said:

And people wonder why we don't have free demos anymore.... sigh....

free demos are kinda bad way to fund a game development.

Free Demos with the option to donate towards the fund?

it could work. not as effective though. slapping a $150 pricetag on early access is also not effective if their plan would be to maximize income, but i don't know why the pricetag is what it is.

to insure the people getting into the alpha are players that are truly interested in the game and its development and not people who naturally hop to the next big MMO.

too many people are buying alphas expecting it to run smoothly even when the warning signs are clear so im not too surprised at this move

#45 Edited by FelipeInside (25677 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

@groowagon said:

@FelipeInside said:

@groowagon said:

@FelipeInside said:

@vfibsux said:

And people wonder why we don't have free demos anymore.... sigh....

free demos are kinda bad way to fund a game development.

Free Demos with the option to donate towards the fund?

it could work. not as effective though. slapping a $150 pricetag on early access is also not effective if their plan would be to maximize income, but i don't know why the pricetag is what it is.

to insure the people getting into the alpha are players that are truly interested in the game and its development and not people who naturally hop to the next big MMO.

too many people are buying alphas expecting it to run smoothly even when the warning signs are clear so im not too surprised at this move

Which is fair enough, but still a bit wrong imo. I wonder if anyone here would pay $150 for any other product (not video game related), knowing that the final product will be given out for FREE to anyone who wants it?