1440p monitor & AA question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by IFBB-PRO (211 posts) -
I read somewhere that if using monitor 1440p and above then AA such as msaa,txaa,smaa is not needed. Is there any truth to it? Will I see any difference with them on or off when playing games such as crysis 3?
#2 Posted by Riadon2 (1609 posts) -

I use a 1440p monitor and jaggies are distracting at less than 2x SGSSAA.  Not nearly as bad as 1080p, though.

#3 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13635 posts) -

It's really the DPI that matters and a 27" 1440p monitor has a higher pixel density than a 1080p 23" monitor so you can use less to get similar looking visual quality.

#4 Posted by IFBB-PRO (211 posts) -
What setting would be ideal for crysis 3 to get similar affects ?
#5 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
I have a 1200p monitor and I have no AA on in Crysis 3 MP beta.. I barely notice any jaggies. I'm sure at 1440p, it shouldn't be a problem.
#6 Posted by Marfoo (5994 posts) -
Depends on the DPI and your distance from screen. If you're eye can't resolve the difference in pixels there is a natural averaging effect which would be the biological equivalent to supersampling. Lol.
#7 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13635 posts) -

I have a 1200p monitor and I have no AA on in Crysis 3 MP beta.. I barely notice any jaggies. I'm sure at 1440p, it shouldn't be a problem.Elann2008

depends on the dpi

#8 Posted by BPoole96 (22803 posts) -

I have a 1440p monitor and usually even 2x MSAA will eliminate more jaggies. On lesser demanding games 2xSSAA + some SMAA will eliminate just about all of them. Just keep in mind that applying AA to a high resolution is going to hit your vram pretty hard.

#9 Posted by Idontremember (928 posts) -

The jaggies in Crysis 3 annoy me to the highest point, especially on the vegetation, The waving grass is painfull to the eye.
Personnaly, i've found FXAA to be not that good, but SMAA X2 makes things a lot better with a minimal FPS drop.  I'd like it if I could crank it up to X4.
I'm gaming at 1200p thought, but even when I look at a 1440p/1600p screen, it's still not high enough for me to not see anything.