144 hz, GSYNC, DSR at 1080p with single GTX970

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

I just got a new Acer 144hz GSYNC monitor and wow, my games never looked better. Everything moves so smoothly. I enabled DSR mode from the Nvidia control panel, which down samples higher resolution textures for a 1080P display. Does this mode lower framerates? I need to keep frame rates up in order for the GYSNC to work. I have not noticed any problem using it yet, but i just want to make sure.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Yes adding any kind of extra setting will lower frames. Just get a program like fraps to see how your computer holds up with it on and off.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#3  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

nice. im still using an 60 hz 1080p IPS monitor. its just fine for me so far.

I'm still waiting for 120hz or 144hz or at least gsync IPS monitors to hit the market. Some talk of it but no idea when they'd start making them across the board. Probably at least a year before lg, samsung, acer, asus etc start showing what they have here.

Or even OLED monitors, i haven't seen any regular consumer ones listed anywhere yet... hopefully they start making these for gaming.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Of course it will lower framerates. DSR doesn't down sample higher resolution textures it down samples a whole higher resolution image. If I'm not mistaken the default is 4K for DSR so you are basically running the game at that resolution but down sampled at whatever your monitor is. Down sampling, for some reason that I don't understand, will also introduce various degrees of input lag depending on the game.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Videodogg:

If you just enabled DSR and expect it to work, your wrong, you just turned the setting on, you still need to select the resolution in game or nothing will happen.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

@GTR12 said:

@Videodogg:

If you just enabled DSR and expect it to work, your wrong, you just turned the setting on, you still need to select the resolution in game or nothing will happen.

What he said...you change the in game res to higher than your monitors native res, then it downsamples the image...turn off aa...you won't need it due to the supersampling and it'll help drive higher fps.