Angurvadal_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Angurvadal_88
Member since 2005 • 704 Posts

I'm looking into getting a new PC monitor primarily for watching blu-ray movies (and gaming) and need some specific advice.

I've noticed that fast-moving scenes or camera pans in blu-ray movies are really juddery/non-smooth and uncomfortable for me to watch personally on my current 60hz monitor. Thus is due to 3:2 pulldown I believe.

See this.

Essentially what happens is, when I play 1080p/24 (blu-ray) content on my current 24" 60hz LCD monitor, my graphcs card automatically (AMD R9 270) applies 3:2 pulldown to the 24fps framerate to match the 60hz refresh rate of my monitor. This uneven frame buffering causes this juddery effect and is especially apparent in fast-moving scenes (Fast and Furious movies being good examples).

Now, if I was to buy a 120hz 1080p monitor, as 120hz is a direct multiple of 24hz, would I get an even 5:1 playback on 24p movies? As in, 5 frames repeated per frame per second? Would this alleviate my above problem?

If anybody with 120hz monitors that occasionally/regularly watch blu-rays could chime in I'd be grateful. I'm looking for confirmation that this actually works in practice.

Angurvadal_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Angurvadal_88

bump

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Why don't you just downclock your monitor to 24hz when watching a movie?

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I've never noticed any bad stutter while in game or watching blu-rays on my BenQ 2420T, but then again I'm not actually that great with displays.

I read that link you posted but it's a little confusing for me.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

Yeah you would think the juddering would be gone with a 5:1 pull down, but I still notice it for some reason. I have a Samsung S27A750D.

Angurvadal_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Angurvadal_88

@ShadowDeathX: My monitor can't do that unfortunately mate.

Angurvadal_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Angurvadal_88

@harry_james_pot: Ah, really? That's sad to hear. Does it improve it somewhat though? Or does it barely? I've had a reply back on another forum where they said the same thing. I'm beginning to think it's the nature of the beast. 24fps is just too ****ing slow for fast-paced movies!

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 harry_james_pot  Moderator

@Angurvadal_88 said:

@harry_james_pot: Ah, really? That's sad to hear. Does it improve it somewhat though? Or does it barely? I've had a reply back on another forum where they said the same thing. I'm beginning to think it's the nature of the beast. 24fps is just too ****ing slow for fast-paced movies!

On scenes with fast movement the judder is barely visible, slow pans is where I can clearly see it. The thing is, it's somehow not the same for every movie... Some of them have perfectly smooth pans, and others have the camera jumping like crazy.

It certainly got improved, but I'm not sure by how much, since I've had this monitor for a while now. Keep looking though, maybe there's something I'm missing here..

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

What do you guys play your Blu-Ray movies on? I use PowerDVD and I haven't noticed any judder on my old 60hz monitor or my new 144hz monitor.

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 harry_james_pot  Moderator

@ferrari2001 said:

What do you guys play your Blu-Ray movies on? I use PowerDVD and I haven't noticed any judder on my old 60hz monitor or my new 144hz monitor.

Well it has to be there on 60hz monitors, you were just lucky and didn't notice it. :P

I do use PowerDVD. And as I said, it's there in some movies, and not in others. I'd say the movies with no judder are the majority.