Plugging in HDD after clean install of windows 10 on my brand new ssd is hard...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sethman410
Member since 2008 • 2967 Posts

Here is the step by step guideline on how I got to where I am at with this issue.

1. Bought a new ssd. Was currently using windows 7 on my old hdd.
  2. I upgraded to windows 10 on my hdd.
  3. Created a media installation tool via my usb thumbdrive.
  4. Took out my hdd, plugged in my new ssd. Fresh installed windows 10 on the new ssd.
  5. I tried to re-plug in my old hdd back into the computer, but apparently there is a problem.

This problem is that when I boot up the computer, it says that i need a bootable device (or something like that) or press any key to continue after plugging in one.

Umm ok wtf? I did change my mobo setup to prioritize the order. The order is that it should boot up from my new ssd then the hdd.

And strange that when I unplugged the hdd, it was still doing that. So I had to press F11 on bootup to show bootup options and what was listed there was "windows bootup manager: (my ssd description here)" and that should not have been there at all. It should have only listed just ssd description like it did before.

So, any ideas? What I am trying to do is simultaneously use both my hdd and ssd. SSD for stuff to load quick and hdd for rest of crap that isn't need to load quick. Well, since I got bunch of crap on my hdd and still windows 10 on hdd. It's like my motherboard is confused on which device to bootup from because both hdd and ssd has windows 10 in it and are both bootable.

I am trying to reformat my hdd and use it as extra storage.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

You don't install the OS on both drives. You install the OS on the SSD and just leave the HDD as a storage drive.

I have Win 7 on my SSD and it's connected to my SATA_0 on the motherboard. I have the other 2 HDDs plugged into SATA_1 and SATA_2. Most newer motherboards are going to prioritize the boot device off your SATA_0 port on the motherboard so make sure your SSD is plugged into that port.

If, as you say, you're only using the HDD as storage, you can just format it and wipe it clean. There is no reason to install the OS on the HDD as well. The only reason to install an OS on the other HDD is if you absolutely need to have a dual-boot OS system. Most people don't do this and when they do, they install the OS on the same SSD or HDD (some people use Linux and Windows, so they'll have dual boot options OR someone may have specific programs that only run off XP, so they'll dual boot XP and a newer OS.)

Before you format your HDD, if you have any data on there that you need - hopefully you get it backed up first.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

I was under the impression that recent Windows had easy to use dual boot options for cases like this. I remember doing stuff like this on W7 and I always had a simple "select OS" option at boot.

Did you change anything on your BIOS? The other day my dad's PC was for some reason trying to boot from a network despite changing boot order from the boot up menu. Until I finally decided to reset the BIOS to default. So try to change boot up from the proper BIOS menu and not the individual boot up menu.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sethman410
Member since 2008 • 2967 Posts

Wut? It seems like you are not understanding why I have windows 10 on both devices. I wanted windows 10 on my new ssd so I had to create media installation tool after upgrading to windows 10 on my hdd. So, I took out my hdd and plugged in my new ssd and did a clean install of windows 10 on it. And how do I reformat it if I replug in my hdd and it won't boot from there.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

@sethman410 said:

Wut? It seems like you are not understanding why I have windows 10 on both devices. I wanted windows 10 on my new ssd so I had to create media installation tool after upgrading to windows 10 on my hdd. So, I took out my hdd and plugged in my new ssd and did a clean install of windows 10 on it. And how do I reformat it if I replug in my hdd and it won't boot from there.

Sorry, but windows 10 upgrade eludes me - it's unnecessary and tends to cause issues for most people that I've talked to about running the upgrade. Basically, from my understanding, you needed to run the upgrade to get your windows 10 key....then basically you ran the media installation tool (essentially an ISO) for doing a full install.......

If you need to format your HDD, you should simply be able to just hook up the HDD itself - boot from the media installation tool and format the HDD through the Windows 10 install screen. If you're not sure how to format the HDD you can follow this link , it should help you out.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

@sethman410: Leave the sata cable unplugged on your normal HDD but leave the power in. Start up your computer, once you get into windows then plug your HDD in. It'll show up and you can reformat it, if it doesn't then go into disk management. Have to format it from there and assign a letter.

You can also boot Windows 10 via usb and reformat it from there when it asks you where you want to install it. Then you will probably have to play with disk management in windows to assign it a letter.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

Did you switch from IDE to AHCI in your BIOS before installing the OS? I've seen that be the cause of boot failures on many a machine. There should be an option in the BIOS in the same area (or a menu up or down) where you can switch from IDE to AHCI. While not necessary for an SSD, it is recommended. Give it a shot and see if that corrects it if you haven't already.

Psychobouncer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Psychobouncer2
Member since 2018 • 1 Posts

This exact thing has happened to me. I have also tried wiping the HDD using a SATA to USB converter and am having the same problem. It is too weird. When I boot off of the SSD, it tells me that I must pick a bootable device and makes me restart. Without the other HD plugged in, it works perfectly.... Ideas?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

This thread is old... Like years old.