This topic is locked from further discussion.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Hi folks, the system you see in my sig I no longer have, i have sold it before the summer because mostly prices drop in the summer.

However i live in europe and the dollar got stronger lately, and the hardware prices actually went up. Can you imagine that, they went up for christ sake.

Either way, i will need a pc for the vr set vive that will be released by valve in november. I can't see any reason to wait a lot longer because there won't be anything new releasing and the second hand market isn't influenced by the stronger dollar, yet...

So what would be the minimum that i need for that system and not fall short (i don't want this thing to be lagging) or should i wait till it is actually released and benchmarked?

I don't care about psu's , cases, etc. I can figure that out for myself . Cpu and gpu is what is important.

greetings

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@commander: Not seen you in a while on steam, no PC at all?

We now have a Hardware forum here. (Moved this thread)

If you don't need it yet don't buy it yet

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 commander

@klunt_bumskrint said:

@commander: Not seen you in a while on steam, no PC at all?

We now have a Hardware forum here. (Moved this thread)

If you don't need it yet don't buy it yet

oh thanks, yeah no steam because no pc.

I wanted to build a new one in the summer because then prices are cheap, well normally they are, but i think after the summer they even going to rise more.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

.. I would go by the Oculus Rift recommended computer requirements as a good guide line for valve's vr.. Pretty much recommending a I5 (really K series of any of the bridges, sandy, ivy, haswell etc would be enough) and a 970 gtx or equivalent.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127513 Posts

Skylake is coming in September I think. Supposed to provide a jump performance wise... If not, then hey you can boast about having DDR4 RAM. :P

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 commander

@horgen said:

Skylake is coming in September I think. Supposed to provide a jump performance wise... If not, then hey you can boast about having DDR4 RAM. :P

Oh but skylake is defenitely worth waiting for

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#7 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17832 Posts

I would definitely wait for Skylake. Also, interested to see how DX 12 shakes things up and how well extra cores will be utilized.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horgen  Moderator

@commander said:
@horgen said:

Except for DDR4, will there be any major CPU performance increase?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 horgen  Moderator

@dyius0 said:
@horgen said:
@commander said:
@horgen said:

I guess ~10% IPC increase.

Over Haswell? Hmm should be more. It's both tick and tock. Or whatever Intel calls it. Both architecture change and going down to 14nm processing.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@BassMan said:

I would definitely wait for Skylake. Also, interested to see how DX 12 shakes things up and how well extra cores will be utilized.

.... If anything DX12 is giving you even less reason to upgrade to skylake.. If you currently own a I5 K series of some kind of the last three iterations, you already play DX11 games with no bottlenecking exceptionally.. DX12 is suppose to lower the overhead in cpu requirements even more so when it comes to gaming..

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 commander

@dyius0 said:
@horgen said:
@dyius0 said:
@horgen said:
@commander said:
@horgen said:

Over Haswell? Hmm should be more. It's both tick and tock. Or whatever Intel calls it. Both architecture change and going down to 14nm processing.

I was hoping for a far larger increase but the rumor mill at overclock.net suggest otherwise. I am not entirely sure but the "leaked" (might not be real) show about 10% from devil canyon.

I saw that rumor as well, the thing is i'm in desperate need of a pc, i'm typing on my xbox one here.

I was planning on making a system with the G3258 anniversary edition and then upgrading later on to i5 k or something. The thing i don't need all that grunt right now, but i will need to be able to run vr a decent settings.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 horgen  Moderator

@dyius0 said:
@horgen said:
@dyius0 said:
@horgen said:
@commander said:
@horgen said:

I was hoping for a far larger increase but the rumor mill at overclock.net suggest otherwise. I am not entirely sure but the "leaked" (might not be real) show about 10% from devil canyon.

Until AMD delivers on the CPU front, 10% increases is what we will get.