Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jr14
Member since 2004 • 2148 Posts

So I just bought a 120Gb SSD, and I'm wanting to do a clean install or upgrade and put win10 on my SSD. At the computer store where I got it the guy said since I have the win 8.1 OEM version when I try to do a clean install no drivers will work. That I should bring it in to him and he will put a driver packet on it. My question is, is there anyway I can download the drivers or whatever I need to like a USB and then after I install win10 put it on my SSD? The computer store is like an hour away don't really want to drive that far if I can do it myself.

He said my internet won't work either so I wouldn't be able to download the drivers after the clean install of win 10 on my SSD.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

He told you bullshit so you can bring your PC and charge you for it.

OEM means the key is tied to your motherboard(but still can change the motherboard) and it was used to build a PC.

How to do a clean install(you drivers will be installed automatically and your internet will work) http://imgur.com/gallery/qCWHwCd

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Never upgrade, always clean install, trust me

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jr14

Is there anyway I can install win8.1 right now and just put my operating system on my SSD without having to use that migration disk and that cord whatever it is that you have to hook the SSD up via usb? Then I'd just do a clean install when I am eligible for my free win10 upgrade. I'm wanting to put my operating system on the SSD, and every thing else on my 1tb hard drive.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jr14

@Chatch09: sorry i know that all sounds complicated the way I said it il try to shorten it.

I have Win8.1 on my hdd I want to install JUST my operating system on my new SSD, then clean install win10 when I get it on my SSD.

Then use my 1tb hdd for storage.

I don't have a sata to usb cord so I can't use the migration disk.

Is there anyway I can just plug my SSD inside my computer like normal without using the sata to usb cord and do a clean install with my win8.1 on the SSD, and everything else on my 1tb hdd?

If so how do I go about doing that?

Sorry this is my first time using an SSD so i have no experience using one and I thought I read that you can't just move stuff from your hdd to SSD.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jr14

@Chatch09: yeah I know how to set my boot priority or boot options I kept putting my SSD as boot option one but it kept saying boot override and put my hard drive above my SSD so after it goes through this clean install I might have to do it again and just unplug the hard drive.

I don't care to have to do it again when I get win10 I really only have a few games on my PC that's about it. So I won't really have to reinstall much.

Ya just tried it didn't work installed it to my hdd.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jr14

Thanks for the help everyone I figured out what I was doing wrong. Now I just gotta find out how to set my hdd to storage and not the SSD.

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 genius2365
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

Just curious. If I had a spare copy of Windows 7 lying around, used that to upgrade to Windows 10, then did a clean install and restart from scratch for Windows 10, would that cause minor slowdowns or issues?

Would simply buying Windows 10 outright and doing a clean install from the start make any difference compared with what I posted above?

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jr14

@genius2365: From what I read clean install is always the best to go. If you did an upgrade then a clean install as long as a clean install was the last thing you did then there shouldn't be any slowdowns or issues. If something was to go wrong, then you could always do another clean install and reinstall win 7.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GeryGo  Moderator

@genius2365 said:
@PredatorRules said:

Just curious. If I had a spare copy of Windows 7 lying around, used that to upgrade to Windows 10, then did a clean install and restart from scratch for Windows 10, would that cause minor slowdowns or issues?

Would simply buying Windows 10 outright and doing a clean install from the start make any difference compared with what I posted above?

Depends on what you call clean install after upgrading... When I talk about clean install it's format OS drive and install again on it.

Upgrading Windows is an issue from long times ago that doesn't always go out smoothly; A fresh install is recommended from security reasons and other failures as well - when you upgrade to brand new Windows you may carry viruses and other malware to the new OS, it also may not fix other issues you had on previous OS.

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 genius2365

@PredatorRules: Do you know if we are able to do that with Windows 10? Formatting the OS drive like you say while still having the OS on hand so you can install it fresh afterwards. I was just planning on getting to Windows 10 then doing a clean install the moment I get it, but if there's a better method, I'm all ears.

@Jr14: Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do. I'm basically going to install Windows 7, do the updates, and go straight to Windows 10, and do a clean install the moment it's done. Just to minimize whatever junk will carry over from the upgrade.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@genius2365 said:

@PredatorRules: Do you know if we are able to do that with Windows 10? Formatting the OS drive like you say while still having the OS on hand so you can install it fresh afterwards. I was just planning on getting to Windows 10 then doing a clean install the moment I get it, but if there's a better method, I'm all ears.

@Jr14: Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do. I'm basically going to install Windows 7, do the updates, and go straight to Windows 10, and do a clean install the moment it's done. Just to minimize whatever junk will carry over from the upgrade.

Its not that complicated...

The very first time, you UPGRADE from W7 or W8/8.1, you UPGRADE it.

Then after its upgraded, make sure it has activated in system properties.

If it has activated, then you WIPE IT and CLEAN INSTALL, when it asks for a key, click skip, it will ask you twice.

Then when you have done that, it will automatically activate once you login.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GeryGo  Moderator

@genius2365 said:

Format OS drive, install Windows 10 - it's that simple.

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 genius2365

@PredatorRules: @GTR12: Alright, I think I got it. Thanks guys :)