Build a PC or buy a built PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

userfir3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By userfir3
Member since 2015 • 18 Posts

I wanted to replace my 5 year old laptop with a PC but I cannot choose whether to build a PC(i'm not going to build it but I know someone who can) or buy a built PC. I predict I can spend $400 for it(excluding monitor, OS, mouse and keyboard) and might be able to spend more when I am going to buy it. I'm not yet sure when I will buy it. If you tell that I should build a PC, please suggest a build if possible.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Build, always.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Yeah build saves you money, and you can ensure all parts used are high quality.

justpcthings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 justpcthings
Member since 2015 • 30 Posts

Building is better. As others have said, it keeps costs down.

If you're not 100% confident building your own, get your local computer shop to build it for you. You pick the parts so you know exactly what's going into it, but a professional will put it together for you. Costs a bit but it's still a much better solution than buying a pre-built one.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

Hello.

Build your PC. Don't even look at pre-built PCs.

For the same amount of money, a PC that you build it, can give from 30% (at least) and up to multiple times better gaming performance.

Sometimes I get the feeling that people, who building those pre-builts, have no clue about gaming performance...

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

ALWAYS build a PC. It ensures you have quality parts. I'm not sure what you can purchase with $400. Maybe a APU build. What will you be using the PC for? Mostly web browsing/streaming? Heavy gaming or light gaming? I'll throw out a build for fun.

Here is a build that can web browse, stream Netflix, and play light gaming at 1080p for under $400 bucks. This excludes the OS and such. The beauty here is that it's cheap and if you want you can add a video card down the line for a better experience. It's not slouch though. It can play a ton of games at 1080p if that's what you're into.

CarlJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CarlJames
Member since 2015 • 18 Posts

@userfir3 Build of course.

SakuraBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SakuraBomb
Member since 2015 • 232 Posts

@userfir3: Build. It's not hard and the internet is there to help you.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Build

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#10 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts
@userfir3 said:

I wanted to replace my 5 year old laptop with a PC but I cannot choose whether to build a PC(i'm not going to build it but I know someone who can) or buy a built PC. I predict I can spend $400 for it(excluding monitor, OS, mouse and keyboard) and might be able to spend more when I am going to buy it. I'm not yet sure when I will buy it. If you tell that I should build a PC, please suggest a build if possible.

Competing with consoles aside, why buy a $400 gaming PC? Many components (case, PSU, storage, motherboard) won't affect performance, and will be a large segment of a $400 PC.

Anyway, building your own PC will ensure you have all high quality components, which should make the system last longer.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

It depends on how much you are willing to spend, how much research you care to do, how much time you care to put into it, and also how much premium you are prepared to pay to buy a pre built machine. Personally I keep putting off building one because I'm unsure as to whether or not I want to buy a laptop over a desktop. I've heard nothing but good things about this pre built, though...

Loading Video...

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12  Edited By Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Having built a PC recently I spend good 2-3 weeks of extensive research, never build one before and I can honestly say, it was good experience. I would suggest to spend quality time shopping around for your budget. For example, I managed to find a superb deal on my 2GB GTX 750ti SuperClocked for 130$ (CAN) which usually sells on average for 180$+ CAN. I had a older PC which I was able to reuse the Case, Power Supply, DVD drive and hard-drive with Windows 7 - That definitely helped save money. I believe almost every person has a older PC at home where you can at least use the DVD drive, Case and even a power supply.

All together, after tax, it come down to 479$ CAN. Putting it together around 2 hours slowly and carefully and voila. There is room for better CPU, more memory and better Video Cards when budget allows.

Parts purchased: AMD 6350 Six Core Black edition clocked at 4.00GHz, AMD motherboard which allows for future upgrades, 8GB DDR-3 1800 and GTX 2GB 750ti 1150Mhz (S/C version).

For 400$ CAN those components are very, very good price and I'm able to play all current games a 1920x1080p with mostly high settings.

Buying stock PC will result on same or more money however, 99% of the time they sell 300 watts power supply and very low end video card to support that power level. Also the motherboard will also be bare minimum not offering any expansions for more memory, or cpu upgrade.

Down the road you will end up spending a lot more money if you buy stock PC. I have done it in the past (got lured by those "good" deals in Best buy and what not) and I have learned my lesson.

Grab a PC enthusiast friend, co-worker, or some that you might know if you need little help putting things together. Also, Gamespot community will help with price and components selection. Build it. :)