$1800 rig for Oculus rig

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

This build isn't for me. Trying to help someone out. I know someone online who wants to sink $1,800 into a rig that focuses on using the Oculus. He also wanted to capture video.

He thinks SLI doesn't work well with Oculus, but I haven't heard any such thing. Could anyone recommend a build that makes good use of that budget? He already has a monitor so he won't need two.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

This build isn't for me. Trying to help someone out. I know someone online who wants to sink $1,800 into a rig that focuses on using the Oculus. He also wanted to capture video.

He thinks SLI doesn't work well with Oculus, but I haven't heard any such thing. Could anyone recommend a build that makes good use of that budget? He already has a monitor so he won't need two.

There are a number of games and programs that are available for the Oculus right now that don't support SLI or work worse with it turned on. Also, for "Direct Mode" titles they display in fullscreen to the Oculus and also show you game video in a window on your normal monitor. To my knowledge, Direct Mode doesn't work right now with SLI. Extended mode titles may be able to work if you run them in fullscreen on the Oculus "monitor", but again there are support issues. Direct Mode is generally preferred because dealing with Extended mode is a pain in the ass and Direct Mode tends to be faster and works with less latency.

However, I wouldn't base any purchasing decisions on the assumption that SLI/Crossfire won't be supported by the time it goes retail but at the same time you shouldn't skimp on the base GPU model.

-Byshop

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KHAndAnime

@Byshop: Thanks, I had no idea, I'll be sure to pass that info along to him.

For $1,800 - not doing SLI would seem crazy to me. I was thinking a couple of GTX 970's in his case might be suitable.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Byshop  Moderator

@KHAndAnime said:

For $1,800 - not doing SLI would seem crazy to me. I was thinking a couple of GTX 970's in his case might be suitable.

At least a 970 for sure. I'm not up on the latest OC news for GPUs, but I would shoot for the rig that I built which is two 980s assuming you can't easily get the same result by overclocking two 970s and that it doesn't blow the budget. I would not go crazy spending that money on any single more expensive card than a 980 like a Titan, though. That just seems like a dead end path based on the current state of the tech, not where it is likely going.

-Byshop

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

I wonder if forcing AFR or AFR2 would work with the oculus rift.

I have 2 970s but I am waiting for the public release of the rift or the htc vive.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Try Crossfire? 2x 290s? :P

But yes you'll want a rig that similar in power to run 1440p on ultra (2x 970s or 2x 290s)

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

If he wants to go with Z97 and a single GPU then here's a build with $350 left over for him.

If he wants to go with X99, he'll still have $265 left for whatever he needs.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

Personally I would wait until the CV1 is out before making any purchasing decisions for it. Give the devs time to develop drivers, software/games, and to come out with more powerful cards early next year.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@Byshop said:
@KHAndAnime said:

At least a 970 for sure. I'm not up on the latest OC news for GPUs, but I would shoot for the rig that I built which is two 980s assuming you can't easily get the same result by overclocking two 970s and that it doesn't blow the budget. I would not go crazy spending that money on any single more expensive card than a 980 like a Titan, though. That just seems like a dead end path based on the current state of the tech, not where it is likely going.

-Byshop

I would wait for the 980 ti to release.. And it's benchmarks to release.. You have two good possibilities here with it's release.. Either the 980 ti takes over the price range of the 980 and everything below the TI lowers in price.. Or the 980 ti is slightly more expensive than the current 980 but produces much higher performance.. That and the 390x may have a similar impact on the industry.. I honestly think going SLI is absolutely pointless right now for a multitude of reasons.. There are a great many singular powerful cards on the market place that run most games extremely well, furthermore nothing is stopping you from buying a second card down aways for a much cheaper price.. And finally Directx 12 is on the horizon with Windows 10.. Which may not only give huge performance boosts, but allow you to SLI different types of cards down the road together.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Byshop  Moderator

@sSubZerOo: After seeing the price I'm inclined to agree. I'd upgrade, but it's not worth it since I've already got dual 980s.

-Byshop

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

The Oculus Rift won't release until next year which will be around the time Pascal comes out.

Pascal should be a pretty big leap in performance.

Maybe I will be surprised and the 1070 will be a match for 2 970s.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KHAndAnime

@RyviusARC said:

The Oculus Rift won't release until next year which will be around the time Pascal comes out.

Pascal should be a pretty big leap in performance.

Maybe I will be surprised and the 1070 will be a match for 2 970s.

I tried to convince the guy to wait on it but he doesn't seem to want to. I agree that it seems so much smarter to wait on it, particularly at this moment. Also - thanks a ton for the help (everyone).