Zombie Ants Found In Brazil

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

A stalk of the newfound fungus species Ophiocordyceps camponoti-balzani, grows out of a "zombie" ant's head in a Brazilian rain forest.

Originally thought to be a single species, called Ophiocordyceps unilateralis, the fungus is actually four distinct species?all of which can "mind control" ants?scientists announced Wednesday.

The fungus species can infect an ant, take over its brain, and then kill the insect once it moves to a location ideal for the fungi to grow and spread their spores.National Geographic

The above is only an excerpt, so take some sauce with it, dawg.

Brazil is in South America, guys.

AussieePet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#2 AussieePet
Member since 2010 • 11424 Posts
Must be part of the mami zombie guy plan hmmm...........
Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#3 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

[quote="National Geographic"]A stalk of the newfound fungus species Ophiocordyceps camponoti-balzani, grows out of a "zombie" ant's head in a Brazilian rain forest.

Originally thought to be a single species, called Ophiocordyceps unilateralis, the fungus is actually four distinct species?all of which can "mind control" ants?scientists announced Wednesday.

The fungus species can infect an ant, take over its brain, and then kill the insect once it moves to a location ideal for the fungi to grow and spread their spores.Hexagon_777

Don't worry, just use Mexico as a shield
Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

So old.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

So old.

Necrifer

They were shown in Discovery Channel's Planet Earth. Pretty cool.

What's better is that there is another fungus that kills the zombie fungus, saving most of the ant colony's.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/08/science/zombie-ant-fungus-has-its-own-killer-fungus.html

sexyweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 sexyweapons
Member since 2009 • 5302 Posts

seen it

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

I remember watching something on that ages ago. All the non-infected ants would detect an infected one and isolate them and such. I thought it was pretty cool.

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Necrifer

They were shown in Discovery Channel's Planet Earth. Pretty cool.

What's better is that there is another fungus that kills the zombie fungus, saving most of the ant colony's.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/08/science/zombie-ant-fungus-has-its-own-killer-fungus.html

jimkabrhel

Oh, nature.

You're entirely too convoluted.

firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

I wish this whole zombie news fad would end, i'm bored of seeing the word zombie in every title related to a slightly odd news story online.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

[quote="National Geographic"]A stalk of the newfound fungus species Ophiocordyceps camponoti-balzani, grows out of a "zombie" ant's head in a Brazilian rain forest.

The fungus species can infect an ant, take over its brain, and then kill the insect once it moves to a location ideal for the fungi to grow and spread their spores.Hexagon_777

I saw this in the PLANET EARTH series.

An ant eats some fungus. After a couple days, the fungus drives the ant insane and then kills it - as the fugus grows inside the ants head and eventually breaks through it's skull.

In the series, other ants in the colony recognize the crazy ant and actually haul it off away from the ant farm/hole so it doesn't hurt any other ants. They dump it somewhere far away and then it just dies on it's own as the fungus keeps expanding inside it's head.

Kinda depressing actually...

/sniff sniff

poor poor ant

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hexagon_777

I remember watching something on that ages ago. All the non-infected ants would detect an infected one and isolate them and such. I thought it was pretty cool.

sune_Gem

So nothing is transferred via a bite, huh? :(

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

Hexagon_777

So nothing is transferred via a bite, huh? :(

It was ages since I seen it, but not that I recall. The infected ant just started acting funky so the others took it away.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

The fungus species can infect an ant, take over its brain, and then kill the insect once it moves to a location ideal for the fungi to grow and spread their spores.Netherscourge

I saw this in the PLANET EARTH series.

An ant eats some fungus. After a couple days, the fungus drives the ant insane and then kills it - as the fugus grows inside the ants head and eventually breaks through it's skull.

In the series, other ants in the colony recognize the crazy ant and actually haul it off away from the ant farm/hole so it doesn't hurt any other ants. They dump it somewhere far away and then it just dies on it's own as the fungus keeps expanding inside it's head.

Kinda depressing actually...

/sniff sniff

poor poor ant

When will it start affecting humans?

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Necrifer