Zoe Quinn and the surrounding controversy

• 75 results
#1 Edited by Shielder7 (5185 posts) -

Ok guys and gals, I decided I am going to compile all the information in a hopefully non-bias fashion. I had to break out the ciders for this, so be thankful (kidding). I will need some help though. I am not a god at compiling, so I am missing some details and some evidence, so if anyone has anything that relates to what im writing or has something I missed, please bring it to my attention and I will add it.

So first off, there are multiple sources you can go to to here about this.

MundaneMatt

Overview of Eron & Zoe

Internet Aristocrat

Part 1

Part 2

So to start out, we had a guy named Eron release a blog about 'Zoe Quinn', and indie developer who has been part of a controversy for the last week. It lays out some relational problems they had, which includes cheating with five guys (and for our purposes, only three matter, and that will be laid out in the future.) It has quite a bit of info and evidence. He has also had follow up post here and here, as well as a Reddit post, here.

The spark of this controversy came when we had Totalbiscuit release a tweet criticizing game journalism, and basing it first off of the Zoe Quinn scandal. This brought Zoe into the spotlight of her relations with two key people who could of 'helped' her career forward, Nathan Grayson and Robin Arnott.

DMCA Takedown notice on MundaneMatt (I need screenshots of the counter)

MundaneMatt released a video over the controversy, which Zoe filed a DMCA take down notice on, only because it had a still of her game, Depression Quest. This is most likely her trying to censor him. This DMCA take down notice was counter by Matt and has now been re uploaded.

Nathan Grayson [Speculation]

Nathan Grayson was apart of the controversy because of possible positive reviews that he wrote for her. This is speculation since we do not know the exact time of their relationship, but it is worth bringing up since evidence does give is somewhat strength. The first review was on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, and the second mention was on Kotaku. In Eron's post, it says that the relationship between Nathan and Zoe was during their relationship, which ended between April 1st - 6th. Zoe was on a Youtubeshow with Nathan Grayson on March 22nd. The RPS article was written in January, but the Kotaku article was written on March 22nd. Nathan did not disclose this relationship until this controversy, where Stephen released his tweet and statement over Nathan and the controversy. Take that as you will.

Robin Arnott

Robin Arnott is a key player here because of him being a chair in the Indiecade game jam, a game jam that Zoe was given an award at.

The Fine Young Capitalist (I the screenshot or evidence of Zoe complaining about TFYC. Also need a picture of Zoe's game jam leading to her paypal)

Zoe also had criticism over the policy of TFYC in their women's only game jam. Its a long situation, but you can read it here. In the end, Zoe rallied support with know Social Justice Advocates to tear down any chance TFYC had of achieving its funding goals. Near immediately after, Zoe set up her own game jam, which has had no updates, but the donation button leads to her personal Paypal.

Joshua Boggs

Joshua Boggs is important because of him being Zoe's boss. This is a clear conflict of interest.

Wolf Wozniak

Wolf Wozniak came out on twitter and announced that Zoe had sexually harrassed him. What followed was a hurl of negativity and bullying from those close to Zoe, until he took the tweet down. Here is the link for the situation.

Wizardchan

A while ago, Zoe released a statement saying that she was getting harassment from a forum call 'Wizardchan', which was heavily covered by the gaming media. She used this to rally support for Depression Quest to get it greenlit on Steam, after it failed the first time. Recently, Wizardchan released some photos about what actually happened, as well as a picture that shows the photo of Zoe on the board named 'my_photo.jpg'.

Fake Dox

At some point, Zoe had tweeted that she was Doxxed, and used it to rally support. It was shown to be a fake dox here, here, and here. Also, in Eron's post on Reddit, he states that 'Zoe Quinn' is an alias, meaning that the doxes were using wrong information, anyway.

Trying to silence people and the media

When this controversy exploded, Zoe did what she could to try to get everyone silent about it. She was in contact with a Reddit mod who nuked a thread and a 4chan janitor who nuked many threads. There have also been chatlogs released of supposed Reddit mod discussion over the topic, that involves admin participation, but the admins released this statement, saying they had nothing to do with it. Just recently, a mod of /r/games commented about another mod getting booted, and it seems to bring the chat logs into credible territory.

She also told everyone she knew that she wanted 'Radio Silence' over the topic, and worst of all, many gaming media heads and writers support her financially, which would push them to be silent also.

A smaller point, is that on the Depression Quest Steam Page, Zoe is currently banning anyone who post any type of criticism, good or bad.

TFYC Recent Hack

In the chaos of this controversy, 4chan wanted to show support to TFYC, which is the game jam that Zoe helped to destroy. It got a major bump, up to 20k (a third of their needed amount), and was on track with being funded. With all this positivty happening, someone hacked their indiegogo and posted their own statement on it. Fingers are pointing at someone associated with Zoe, or someone trying to taunt 4chan.

Negative Media Reaction

During this controversy, many known figures have come out and insulted the many people who consume their products. Some outlets have posted stories about how people are overreacting and that there is nothing going on, while others are outright attacking them.

Many of the problems being brought up about the media can be referenced here. While some men have lost their jobs for some small issues, the media has been completely silent on Zoe.

PAX Protest

There was a group that was trying to set up a protest at PAX against the corruption, but have come under such heavy harassment, that they have shut it down.

Extra bits

Some extra bits here that don't really fit into a category. Any one who criticizes Zoe in the indie game scene is intimidated to file in or be an outcast. She insulted TB because of his post about the controversy. Some journalist corruption is coming to light. Jim Sterling made a statement.

So I tried to focus on Zoe, and skipped over Phil Fish and Sessler. So yeah, feedback and extra's encouraged. Feel free to write a section if I missed it, and I may put it in.

#2 Posted by Master_Live (15761 posts) -

Your post seems quite comprehensive. So what do you get out this?

#3 Edited by Shielder7 (5185 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

Your post seems quite comprehensive. So what do you get out this?

Post is a quote I can't take credit.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.858347-Zoe-Quinn-and-the-surrounding-controversy?page=177#21303190

#4 Posted by Planeforger (16217 posts) -

It sounds like there's a bit of bullshit being thrown around on both sides of the argument, amd very few clear facts.

Also, I'm still not sure why this is all "Zoe Quinn controversy", when she doesnt seem to be the one breaching her professional obligations - as opposed to the guys mentioned in the above post.

#5 Edited by MlauTheDaft (4440 posts) -

It's starting to seem a little damning for Quinn, but I expect we'll never learn the truth.

Loading Video...

Sorry if it's bad taste, but I remembered Kashmir and I love this song ;)

#6 Posted by toast_burner (22544 posts) -

@Planeforger said:

It sounds like there's a bit of bullshit being thrown around on both sides of the argument, amd very few clear facts.

Also, I'm still not sure why this is all "Zoe Quinn controversy", when she doesnt seem to be the one breaching her professional obligations - as opposed to the guys mentioned in the above post.

Pretty much this. If she was indeed sleeping with them to get publicity then it's the journalists who are at fault, not her. She's just some small indie developer.

This whole thing is nothing more than a witch hunt. It's completely pathetic.

#7 Posted by EJ902 (14412 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@Planeforger said:

Pretty much this. If she was indeed sleeping with them to get publicity then it's the journalists who are at fault, not her. She's just some small indie developer.

The reason her ex-bf made the blog post in the first place was to warn others that she was abusive/manipulative, so that any future partners would be aware of her. Which is a reasonable thing to do if someone really is an abuser. However, that message is only relevant to people who actually know her, which most of the gaming population don't. There's no real reason for anyone else to go after her specifically, though many of those involved in the uproar over this seem to be avoiding doing that anyway.

#8 Posted by MlauTheDaft (4440 posts) -
@EJ902 said:

@toast_burner said:

@Planeforger said:

The reason her ex-bf made the blog post in the first place was to warn others that she was abusive/manipulative, so that any future partners would be aware of her. Which is a reasonable thing to do if someone really is an abuser. However, that message is only relevant to people who actually know her, which most of the gaming population don't. There's no real reason for anyone else to go after her specifically, though many of those involved in the uproar over this seem to be avoiding doing that anyway.

The alleged nepotism and media silencing is an issue though, however, I'd prefer criticising her for her insulting non-game Depression Quest.

Someone on Youtube mentioned To the Moon as a good way of dealing with stigma related issues (Autism), Depression Quest is not.

#9 Posted by SambaLele (5532 posts) -

TC, it seems your post is lacking this bit: Polygon and Kotaku changed their policies because of this scandal.

You could also add the funding of TFYC's project by 4chan and the character they created, Vivian James.

#10 Posted by MlauTheDaft (4440 posts) -
@SambaLele said:

TC, it seems your post is lacking this bit: Polygon and Kotaku changed their policies because of this scandal.

You could also add the funding of TFYC's project by 4chan and the character they created, Vivian James.

Was'nt 4chan actually doing something sort of honorable already included up there? I kinda got lost in all the links.

#11 Posted by SambaLele (5532 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft said:
@SambaLele said:

Was'nt 4chan actually doing something sort of honorable already included up there? I kinda got lost in all the links.

Hmmm... unless I also missed it, no, there's nothing about that on the OP. And if you want to know what else 4chan did, it seems that the vast majority of the investigation was made by them. I didn't put the word investigation between " " because part of what was put together is truly that, enough to push 2 major gaming sites to change their policies because of it. It seems 4chan did break some stereotypes there.

#12 Posted by MlauTheDaft (4440 posts) -

@SambaLele said:

@MlauTheDaft said:
@SambaLele said:

Hmmm... unless I also missed it, no, there's nothing about that on the OP. And if you want to know what else 4chan did, it seems that the vast majority of the investigation was made by them. I didn't put the word investigation between " " because part of what was put together is truly that, enough to push 2 major gaming sites to change their policies because of it. It seems 4chan did break some stereotypes there.

Yeah :) Kinda unexpected but I won't complain.

#13 Posted by Shielder7 (5185 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@Planeforger said:

The whole journalists thing just blew everything open it's really just a foot note on what was really going on.

Nuking a charity by falsely crying misogyny to make money is a new kind of low,

#14 Posted by Shielder7 (5185 posts) -

A phd in Journalism pow on Polygon's ethics

http://i.imgur.com/DXi8Qb7.jpg

#15 Posted by toast_burner (22544 posts) -

So how does patreon create a conflict of interests? Are journalists not allowed to buy games either?

I think a lot of people are confusing patreon with investing.

#16 Edited by KHAndAnime (14614 posts) -

I find the cover ups interesting. I don't thinking gaming media outlets want to bring attention to this story because it's a lot more commonplace than anyone here thinks and brings negative image to the media. Not Zoe's exact predicament, but the nepotism and the money-bond in general. It makes sense: why would the gaming industry attack itself. Who gives a shit about integrity anyways? These are videogames and the attached industries are exclusively about making money. Who cares if Zoe slept with a few guys to further her career? Shit like this probably happens everyday, it's just very rarely brought into any spotlight. Everyone is already well aware that advertisers pay more money to review sites to give them more coverage, right? It's the same reason why it's important sites like Wikipedia are run by donation - there's absolutely zero integrity when money makes decisions.

#17 Posted by toast_burner (22544 posts) -

So where's the outrage about Gamespots aim down sights series?

#18 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26733 posts) -

Only thing this story has done for me in open my eyes even further to just how frighteningly awful - and pathetic - some gamers can be.

#19 Posted by EJ902 (14412 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

What's their am down the sights series about?

#20 Edited by toast_burner (22544 posts) -

@EJ902 said:

@toast_burner said:

It's a series about call of duty that is sponsored by activision. In other words Gamespot are being paid by activision to talk about a game made by activision.

#21 Posted by Shielder7 (5185 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

So how does patreon create a conflict of interests? Are journalists not allowed to buy games either?

Supporting someone and sleeping with them are two different things with that aside it interferes with objective criticism which apparently it very much did.

#22 Posted by lostrib (42163 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@EJ902 said:

@toast_burner said:

It's a series about call of duty that is sponsored by activision. In other words Gamespot are being paid by activision to talk about a game made by activision.

well they disclose that fact

#23 Posted by toast_burner (22544 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@toast_burner said:

Supporting someone and sleeping with them are two different things with that aside it interferes with objective criticism which apparently it very much did.

So taking money is better than having sex? So you admit this has nothing to do with journalistic integrity and is entirely about that she slept around?

If the problem is with journalistic integrity then why does it matter whether they gave out coverage in exchange for sex or money? what matters is that they are giving unreliable coverage.

#24 Posted by toast_burner (22544 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@toast_burner said:

@EJ902 said:

@toast_burner said:

well they disclose that fact

And this won't effect their review in the future? This is the same site that fired Jeff Gerstmann for giving a low score to a game that had banner adds on the site.

#25 Posted by dave123321 (34363 posts) -

@toast_burner: I have faith that they will give an honest review

#26 Posted by Shielder7 (5185 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@Shielder7 said:

@toast_burner said:

So taking money is better than having sex? So you admit this has nothing to do with journalistic integrity and is entirely about that she slept around?

What??? LoL no I never said anything of the sort, I'm saying sex in this situation has compromised journalistic integrity. But with that aside that's only part of the story I'm really more upset that she falsely cried harassment, sexism and misogyny in order to promote her game, draw attention to herself and censor people in order to push her own agenda.

#27 Posted by EJ902 (14412 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@EJ902 said:

@toast_burner said:

Do they have any doritos or mountain dew while on air

#28 Posted by toast_burner (22544 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@toast_burner said:

@Shielder7 said:

@toast_burner said:

What??? LoL no I never said anything of the sort, I'm saying sex in this situation has compromised journalistic integrity. But with that aside that's only part of the story I'm really more upset that she falsely cried harassment, sexism and misogyny in order to promote her game, draw attention to herself and censor people in order to push her own agenda.

Sorry for some reason I thought you quoted my more recent post about Gamespot giving positive coverage in exchange for money.

#29 Posted by Shielder7 (5185 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@Shielder7 said:

@toast_burner said:

@Shielder7 said:

@toast_burner said:

Sorry for some reason I thought you quoted my more recent post about Gamespot giving positive coverage in exchange for money.

you're forgiven

#30 Edited by lamprey263 (25398 posts) -

She's got the backing of big names in the gaming community behind her, and however the gaming community feels about the Quinnspiracy regarding the merit of any of the information on this that shows her as manipulative, even hurtful to the gaming community, all this talk is going to group articulate and objective discussions with some of the most despicable personalities attacking Zoe Quinn. The most coherent argument on this matter isn't going to achieve anything. Face it, there's a lot of real harassment coming in even if she instigates some fake harassment to her benefit. And though one could say that this is all hurtful for her, she's going to come out stronger in the end due to her connections and the attention she's getting and all the crowd funding it's going to bring to her. If people really despise Zoe Quinn and this point, best thing not to help her would be not to make her a victim. It's a hard story to ignore regardless, the gossip is juicy.

I most dislike though that people are blowing it up about integrity in gaming journalism. And it's attracting people on all sides of the social justice warrior debates; and frankly I don't like either sides honestly, the social justice warriors or anti-SJWs alike. And the harassment of people involved is expected, as is anything that gets any attention. But, considering people that followed Quinn suspect long before these harassment started she faked them, the only way to really bring that up is to not have any legitimate harassment to begin with, then any fake harassment gets drowned out in the mess of legitimate harassment and nobody skeptical of her using harassment for attention and crowd source funding is ever going to uncover it. On reflection, if you're going to bitch about it hurtfully, you're just doing her a service to bring her more money.

It's like something that doesn't go away if you don't stop picking at it. Same thing with Justin Bieber, had no idea who the fuck he was, until people started creating anti-Bieber threads. Then there were a ton of those. If you really wanted to do him a disservice and make him go away, ignore him, don't talk about him, don't go creating threads and commenting about it. I said that then anyways, and the same applies here.

#31 Edited by lamprey263 (25398 posts) -

Anita Sarkeesian lately is getting attention because someone supposedly made some seriously threatening Tweets to her. Some are suspecting all the same kind of fake threats to get herself attention. She got a screen capture of them from her computer 12 seconds after the last one came, though she's logged out of her Twitter, leading many to speculate she created them herself. Maybe she's trying to get more hits on her new video, or get more publicity, or get more crowd source funding, or all the above. I also thought maybe this is Anita Sarkeesians reaction to Zoe Quinn stealing the feminist in gaming social justice warrior limelight. Or maybe the Zoe Quinn issue helps compound the effect of doing it to herself. Then again, maybe there really is a sick fucker out there for a change. I ran a analysis on Gender Gesser which is a site that takes samples of writing to determine the gender of the writer. The threats interestingly from the kdobbsz person that threatened her turned out to be the sites analysis a FEMALE by a 75% estimate base on informal writing standards and 85% certainty based on formal writing standards. I wonder if she even really filed a police report, but one could easily request an incident report from the SFPD and find out.

#32 Posted by Jacanuk (5567 posts) -

@Shielder7: Wow the gossip.

Are we really going to discuss some guys pain over getting cheated on and dumped by some chick? lol seriously?

#33 Edited by SambaLele (5532 posts) -
@toast_burner said:

@Planeforger said:

The real issue isn't Quinn though. She was just the "trigger" that made everyone notice the dirty things happening in the industry. Her name will just keep being associated with it because it's the starting protagonist. It's just like the Lewinsky scandal (mind the gap in scandal proportions of course). It's known by her name and all, but all the important criticism goes towards the president. Only in this case it's not just a sex scandal. There was also funding through crowd funding, personal donations and patreon'izing involved. Sex was just a small part of it. And responding to the other user that asked if Patreon represents a conflict of interests: there's a link put by Shielder in which a Phd in the specific area of journalism ethics deems it a conflict... also, Kotaku itself declared that journalists Patreon'izing devs shouldn't cover stories about them or their products. So I'd guess there's a strong base, other than just common sense, that the conflict of interests should be considered.

@Jacanuk: it shows that you don't even know what this was all about.

I don't understand why other gaming news media like IGN and GS didn't make an article on Kotaku and Polygon changing their policies because of all this.

#34 Posted by Heirren (18792 posts) -

People are just now becoming aware of things like this? The videogame industry is HUGE. Stuff like this happens anywhere lots of money is.

#35 Posted by Jacanuk (5567 posts) -

@SambaLele said:
@toast_burner said:

@Planeforger said:

The real issue isn't Quinn though. She was just the "trigger" that made everyone notice the dirty things happening in the industry. Her name will just keep being associated with it because it's the starting protagonist. It's just like the Lewinsky scandal. It's known by her name and all, but all the important criticism goes towards the president. Only in this case it's not just a sex scandal. There was also funding through crowd funding, personal donations and patreon'izing involved. Sex was just a small part of it. And responding to the other user that asked if Patreon represents a conflict of interests: there's a link put by Shielder in which Phd in the specific area of journalism ethics deems it a conflict... also, Kotaku itself declared that journalists Patreon'izing devs shouldn't cover stories about them or their products. So I'd guess there's a strong base, other than just common sense, that the conflict of interests should be considered.

@Jacanuk: it shows that you don't even know what this was all about.

Nah, all it shows is that the whole thing can be simplified and that there is a subculture out there of nerds having nothing better to do then to talk about someone else. Because in the end who cares what some chick did and what some gaming critic´s did.

Trying to make gaming critics into journalists and talk about having ethics is just a truck load of bullcrap. People working in gaming media are critics and will never be journalists or should be held to the same standard as journalists.

So again this all comes down to gossip being spread because for some people gossip is fun.

#36 Edited by SambaLele (5532 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

Nah, all it shows is that the whole thing can be simplified and that there is a subculture out there of nerds having nothing better to do then to talk about someone else. Because in the end who cares what some chick did and what some gaming critic´s did.

Trying to make gaming critics into journalists and talk about having ethics is just a truck load of bullcrap. People working in gaming media are critics and will never be journalists or should be held to the same standard as journalists.

So again this all comes down to gossip being spread because for some people gossip is fun.

That's as much simplifying as twisting for insult's sake. See it the way you want. I'm glad you know that there's no such thing as "gaming journalism", I agree with that. But these outlets pose themselves as journalism media, and it's professionals as "gaming journalists", and sadly many people believe that. That's the image they sell, and people buy that. Cases like this are what makes some realize what it really is about.

#37 Edited by _Judas_ (675 posts) -

That dude Jim's statement is precious....

Has there been any word from Zoe herself, or is she just laying low?

#38 Posted by Shielder7 (5185 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Shielder7: Wow the gossip.

Are we really going to discuss some guys pain over getting cheated on and dumped by some chick? lol seriously?

No were going to discuss someone who is lying, censoring and being unscrupulous in the gaming industry to push her own agenda.

#39 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4545 posts) -

I think anybody who cheats is an awful person, and I think anybody who takes down a positive charity is a pos.

I can't believe people in this thread are defending her. It says a lot about the GS community.

#40 Posted by toast_burner (22544 posts) -

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

I think anybody who cheats is an awful person, and I think anybody who takes down a positive charity is a pos.

I can't believe people in this thread are defending her. It says a lot about the GS community.

What has her being an awful person got to do with anything? there are plenty of people worse than her, why do you care?

#41 Edited by super600 (31032 posts) -

@_Judas_ said:

That dude Jim's statement is precious....

Has there been any word from Zoe herself, or is she just laying low?

She is in hiding currently and is not at her home because she is still getting harassed by people.She doesn't want to speak about this because it will just add fuel to the fire.There may be an investigation going on currently related to the harassment Why did you post this thread TC?There is another thread on this board that is talking about the same subject..

#42 Edited by lamprey263 (25398 posts) -

well, moderator said to bring the Anita Sarkeesian talk here, but I'll post this again if anybody missed it, it's a writing gender analysis of the kdobbsz threats, though of only a low sample (but all of what was written on the kdobbsz Twitter), but you can only work with what you have :

think it would be interesting if people made a records request to the SFPD just to see if she even really filed a police report to begin with. If she didn't I think that would be kind of damning. After all, an investigator saw that the kdobbsz IP address matched her own then that's the end of her career.

Mod edit: removed picture that contained vile text from tweets to anita sarkeesian. Feel free to restore the picture if you can censor out the nastier parts of that paragraph in the image.

#43 Posted by HailtotheQueen (289 posts) -

TotalBiscuit sparking controversy to bring attention to his channel? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you. LOL As someone who has known John since I was kid back on a game called Tribes (best game ever made btw), long before he became the YouTube celebrity that you see today, I can say it doesn't surprise me at all. Its always been his way, even back when he was shoutcasting matches on the Tribes series. Its one of the reasons why we have always clashed. I don't like him and I don't like the way he does things. When he became kind of a spokesperson (along with two other prominent YouTubers) for the Planetside 2 series, I made it my mission to hunt him down and embarrass him in the game, which I did of course. LOL I was defending a gen alone during a massive battle at a tech plant when TotalBiscuit and half a squad of his teammates in Brit Drop decided to rush and and die at my hands. So I posted screenshots on the forum of the butt whooping I gave them, which upset some of TB's fanboys. LOL But after that, we didn't see TB again in the community for a long time. ;O)

Yes, I know that isn't relevant to the story but I just wanted to share that little tidbit of information about TotalBiscuit and his motives.

As for the whole conspiracy surrounding Zoe Quinn, none of us know for a fact what has happened here. Everything is based on speculation and questionable evidence. I mean as far as facebook comments are concerned, its easy to fake those. I can't say I really care what happened either way. Like I said in another post, I just see two emotionally immature people with a failed relationship. As far as an "corruption in the gaming industry" goes, you can bet it has been there since the beginning, just like every other part of life. Yes, many sites and youtubers most likely are compensated for giving positive reviews for example. It would be naive to think otherwise when you look at every other aspect of society and how these things work.

My only problem with this entire situation is how its being misused to attack women in gaming and feminism. That is more than a bit dishonest.

#44 Posted by HailtotheQueen (289 posts) -

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

Sure, I'll agree with the first sentence. However, I also think that someone who posts personal things about their ex and airs the dirty laundry in the relationship in a public place for everyone to see, is ALSO a bad person. It shows serious emotional immaturity and the inability to to let go. Hey, guess what, in high school I dated a guy who did the same thing and I didn't make a blog devoted to bashing him with endlessly long posts. I didn't put our relationship on display to everyone. No, I moved on with my life like a mature and rational person, which is exactly what he needs to do. But he is clearly too focused on revenge at the moment. This isn't going to look good to anyone he tries to get a date with in the future because they will always be thinking that if the relationship doesn't work out, he may do the same thing to them. LOL I would never in a million years date someone who does something like this.

As for Zoe Quinn, I'm not defending her at all. I don't care about her, I don't care about her relationship, I don't care about her game, I don't care about anything she does. I had never even heard of her before this. What I DO have an issue with is how some people (certain MRAs) are using this to attack women in gaming. If you want to talk about Zoe Quinn individually, I have no problem with that. However when someone starts making blanket statements about a large group of people, that's when we're going to have a problem.

#45 Posted by toast_burner (22544 posts) -

@hailtothequeen said:

TotalBiscuit sparking controversy to bring attention to his channel? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you. LOL As someone who has known John since I was kid back on a game called Tribes (best game ever made btw), long before he became the YouTube celebrity that you see today, I can say it doesn't surprise me at all. Its always been his way, even back when he was shoutcasting matches on the Tribes series. Its one of the reasons why we have always clashed. I don't like him and I don't like the way he does things. When he became kind of a spokesperson (along with two other prominent YouTubers) for the Planetside 2 series, I made it my mission to hunt him down and embarrass him in the game, which I did of course. LOL I was defending a gen alone during a massive battle at a tech plant when TotalBiscuit and half a squad of his teammates in Brit Drop decided to rush and and die at my hands. So I posted screenshots on the forum of the butt whooping I gave them, which upset some of TB's fanboys. LOL But after that, we didn't see TB again in the community for a long time. ;O)

Yes, I know that isn't relevant to the story but I just wanted to share that little tidbit of information about TotalBiscuit and his motives.

As for the whole conspiracy surrounding Zoe Quinn, none of us know for a fact what has happened here. Everything is based on speculation and questionable evidence. I mean as far as facebook comments are concerned, its easy to fake those. I can't say I really care what happened either way. Like I said in another post, I just see two emotionally immature people with a failed relationship. As far as an "corruption in the gaming industry" goes, you can bet it has been there since the beginning, just like every other part of life. Yes, many sites and youtubers most likely are compensated for giving positive reviews for example. It would be naive to think otherwise when you look at every other aspect of society and how these things work.

My only problem with this entire situation is how its being misused to attack women in gaming and feminism. That is more than a bit dishonest.

TB has remained quite neutral on the subject and only made a response after he had been requested to by lots of his fans and it was already a big story.

#46 Edited by Rattlesnake_8 (18415 posts) -

She is a despicable person. She cheated on her boyfriend with at least 5 guys, and how so many are protecting her, thousands of reddit posts deleted and people banned for even mentioning it. She slept with her boss, slept with someone from Kotaku and several others just to get them to give positive feedback about her and her game to the public. No one deserves the harassment or bullying she is getting, however her and Phil are making it a LOT worse by the fake doxxing. The gaming media are largely ignoring this which means it is probably more widespread and involving even more people than has been listed in her ex boyfriends chat logs. I think people might be more understanding if it was one person.. but being it's at least 5, and one is her boss.. it's clear that she has motive and is doing it solely to get her name out there. A lot of people who tried her game have said it is actually pretty bad. (Not those that are just giving bad reviews because it's the cool thing to do right now). I'm talking about the legitimate reviews.. but most places won't allow you to talk about this issue without being modded/banned.

It was her choice to do it, and obviously if it became public there would be a huge backlash which is why so many places are trying to stop everyone discussing it. The issue isn't her, the issue is that gaming journalists and people in the industry are doing deals that are not showing products for what they are. It's all about who pays the most or who sleeps with who in extreme cases.. there is no integrity. This has been going on for years.. if anyone remembers the Kayne and Lynch review that happened here. No site is safe, it happens everywhere. However this is the first time so many places have flat out deleted posts and banned people on a mass scale for even mentioning it.

Zoe is also trying to turn it into something it's not, she is trying to make everyone seem like they hate women and are against women in the industry. Thats not the case at all and it's just more lies and deceit to try to get people to do what she wants them to.

#47 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (985 posts) -

You go girl!

#48 Posted by HailtotheQueen (289 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@hailtothequeen said:

TB has remained quite neutral on the subject and only made a response after he had been requested to by lots of his fans and it was already a big story.

Yes but he was the one who helped spark it as a massive story. That was the point. Its going to bring more people to his channel.

#49 Posted by super600 (31032 posts) -

@Rattlesnake_8 said:

She is a despicable person. She cheated on her boyfriend with at least 5 guys, and how so many are protecting her, thousands of reddit posts deleted and people banned for even mentioning it. She slept with her boss, slept with someone from Kotaku and several others just to get them to give positive feedback about her and her game to the public. No one deserves the harassment or bullying she is getting, however her and Phil are making it a LOT worse by the fake doxxing. The gaming media are largely ignoring this which means it is probably more widespread and involving even more people than has been listed in her ex boyfriends chat logs. I think people might be more understanding if it was one person.. but being it's at least 5, and one is her boss.. it's clear that she has motive and is doing it solely to get her name out there. A lot of people who tried her game have said it is actually pretty bad. (Not those that are just giving bad reviews because it's the cool thing to do right now). I'm talking about the legitimate reviews.. but most places won't allow you to talk about this issue without being modded/banned.

People have sat next to her when she was dealing with 4chan and etc. No one knows if she faked it.

#50 Posted by toast_burner (22544 posts) -

@hailtothequeen said:

@toast_burner said:

@hailtothequeen said:

Yes but he was the one who helped spark it as a massive story. That was the point. Its going to bring more people to his channel.

Any one that talks about it indirectly makes it larger. And why does it matter if it may bring more attention to his channel? How is that a bad thing?