You're going back in time

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13190 posts) -

I'm going to have to go with the World Map, so I can plot my revenge on the future and name all the new world after sex jokes.

What say you?

#2 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151709 posts) -
World history book so I can change events before they happen. Mwahahaha.....
#3 Posted by dave123321 (34202 posts) -
Will the history book change and alter as I interact with the past? Maybe I do something that would have large ramifications that would alter history. Can I use this to keep track of changes and alter them accordingly? Though I guess this would mean that history would be constantly shifting from the moment I arrive. Meaning that the revised history at any moment is not taking into account what I do after that moment. In this version of time travel, do I exist no matter what halogens in the future? Like I will still be here even if I prevent myself from being born?
#4 Posted by dave123321 (34202 posts) -
*happens, not halogens
#5 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151709 posts) -
[QUOTE="dave123321"]Will the history book change and alter as I interact with the past? Maybe I do something that would have large ramifications that would alter history. Can I use this to keep track of changes and alter them accordingly? Though I guess this would mean that history would be constantly shifting from the moment I arrive. Meaning that the revised history at any moment is not taking into account what I do after that moment. In this version of time travel, do I exist no matter what halogens in the future? Like I will still be here even if I prevent myself from being born?

Dave....I don't think you're here now....no worries.
#6 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13190 posts) -

Will the history book change and alter as I interact with the past?dave123321

No. It is as it is.

Your 'past'-future is an independant history from the one that now presents itself as the future.

#7 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29544 posts) -
Uzi with 1000 rounds, after I fire a few shots I figure people will be bowing down to me as a god or something.
#8 Posted by lamprey263 (24477 posts) -
I'd take marijuana back with me to cultivate and spread goodwill among the nations of the world.
#9 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151709 posts) -
I'd take marijuana back with me to cultivate and spread goodwill among the nations of the world.lamprey263
Hmmm...they might be too stoned to create progress then....though I think it probably existed already in their time span.
#10 Posted by dave123321 (34202 posts) -

[QUOTE="dave123321"]Will the history book change and alter as I interact with the past?br0kenrabbit

No. It is as it is.

Your 'past'-future is an independant history from the one that now presents itself as the future.

Oh ok. Going with the Uzi
#11 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151709 posts) -
[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="dave123321"]Will the history book change and alter as I interact with the past?dave123321

No. It is as it is.

Oh ok. Going with the Uzi

Ouch death and painful when you run out of bullets.....
#12 Posted by lamprey263 (24477 posts) -
[QUOTE="lamprey263"]I'd take marijuana back with me to cultivate and spread goodwill among the nations of the world.LJS9502_basic
Hmmm...they might be too stoned to create progress then....though I think it probably existed already in their time span.

I'd take with me a proactive stance on spreading cultivation of it for it's intoxicating effect, it's fiber, oil, and animal feed production will have stimulating effects.
#13 Posted by awesomeface (3661 posts) -
Definitely the Uzi.
#14 Posted by wis3boi (31595 posts) -

Uzi.  I'd be a god with that much firepower

#16 Posted by KiIIyou (27151 posts) -
I wont go! ;p
#17 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (5536 posts) -
World History book. So I can manipulate the world to my will and bet on all Super Bowls.
#18 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

Uzi with 1000 rounds, after I fire a few shots I figure people will be bowing down to me as a god or something.chessmaster1989

Something like this.

#19 Posted by dave123321 (34202 posts) -
World History book. So I can manipulate the world to my will and bet on all Super Bowls.TheWalkingGhost
#20 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (5536 posts) -

wis3boi
Until you run out of bullets.
#21 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Uzi with 1000 rounds, after I fire a few shots I figure people will be bowing down to me as a god or something.coolbeans90

Something like this.

Then again, I might take care to create prophesies in such a manner that they will not alter history (as in talk about very distant lands) and cement myself as a God for the next millennium or so.

#22 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

TheWalkingGhost

Only so much magic is need to convince the plebes that you are no mere human.

#23 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151709 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

coolbeans90

They'll always be a challenger...no bullets and no magic.
#24 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29544 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

coolbeans90

f*cking plebs man
#25 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (5536 posts) -
[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"] Until you run out of bullets.LJS9502_basic

Never a shortage of people trying to dethorne you. Or just get your power as a trophy. Medusa...
#26 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"] Until you run out of bullets.LJS9502_basic

How many men are willing to confront the wrath of God? Realistically, getting stabbed in my sleep would be my only real concern.

#27 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13190 posts) -

How many men are willing to confront the wrath of God? Realistically, getting stabbed in my sleep would be my only real concern.

coolbeans90

Or shot with an uzi in your sleep...

#28 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

br0kenrabbit

Or shot with an uzi in your sleep...

Not going to show those neanderthals how I operate my weaponry. Moreover, I'd probably sleep with it in hand, considering the circumstances.

#29 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -
History book so I can have them worship me as a prophet and then convince them to stop f*cking killing each other.
#30 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13190 posts) -

Not going to show those neanderthals how I operate my weaponry. Moreover, I'd probably sleep with it in hand, considering the circumstances.

coolbeans90

After watching you mow a few people down, someone will figure it out. Those people were just as intelligent as we are.

Also, I don't know about you, but I can't wake up ready for action in a split second. Takes me a good hour.

#31 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

br0kenrabbit

After watching you mow a few people down, someone will figure it out. Those people were just as intelligent as we are.

Also, I don't know about you, but I can't wake up ready for action in a split second. Takes me a good hour.

They are (well, were) just as intelligent, but with precious little (if any) exposure to mechanical machinery of any kind. Lest someone notices the safety and how to chamber the first round, actually being shot by the gun wouldn't the major concern. I'd definitely be ready for action in a split second, but I'm a pretty heavy sleeper - hence getting stabbed in my sleep. Also, I get the feeling that in a hand-to-hand situation against people of that era, I'd stand little chance. Not sure if the gun thing is helping my odds of survival by bringing attention to myself.

#32 Posted by ferrari2001 (17083 posts) -

[QUOTE="dave123321"]Will the history book change and alter as I interact with the past?br0kenrabbit

No. It is as it is.

So after a few changes to the time line the history book becomes useless? If so the history book would be pretty dumb thing to bring. I'd go for the uzi I suppose. I know the map well enough, and the black plague was a changing point of western society I wouldn't want to change that.
#33 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -
[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="dave123321"]Will the history book change and alter as I interact with the past?ferrari2001

No. It is as it is.

So after a few changes to the time line the history book becomes useless? If so the history book would be pretty dumb thing to bring. I'd go for the uzi I suppose. I know the map well enough, and the black plague was a changing point of western society I wouldn't want to change that.

That's why you employ some smarts and use the events you know will happen to cause the events you want to happen to actually occur. It doesn't matter if the history book is rendered useless after some changes if you have a good idea of how those changes will affect things.
#34 Posted by ferrari2001 (17083 posts) -
[QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

No. It is as it is.

Ace6301

That's why you employ some smarts and use the events you know will happen to cause the events you want to happen to actually occur. It doesn't matter if the history book is rendered useless after some changes if you have a good idea of how those changes will affect things.

Problem is even one minor change can create a chain event that can change the timeline in such a way that it would be totally impossible to predict in an way what changes would occur after the initial change. Even killing a single animal could mean death for someone that changes the whole path of human history.
#35 Posted by Chow_Mein_Kampf (6651 posts) -

I gotta go with the Uzi..................

Probably go way back........Take on an army and proclaim myself a God.............

#36 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="ferrari2001"] So after a few changes to the time line the history book becomes useless? If so the history book would be pretty dumb thing to bring. I'd go for the uzi I suppose. I know the map well enough, and the black plague was a changing point of western society I wouldn't want to change that. ferrari2001

Problem is even one minor change can create a chain event that can change the timeline in such a way that it would be totally impossible to predict in an way what changes would occur after the initial change. Even killing a single animal could mean death for someone that changes the whole path of human history.

Yeah, it could definitely be a one-trick pony, which is why I don't think I'd go that route.

#37 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="Ace6301"] That's why you employ some smarts and use the events you know will happen to cause the events you want to happen to actually occur. It doesn't matter if the history book is rendered useless after some changes if you have a good idea of how those changes will affect things. coolbeans90

Yeah, it could definitely be a one-trick pony, which is why I don't think I'd go that route.

It all depends on how good the trick is. I'd say knowing the future for the entire world is something you can exploit heavily if you take precautions. That said areas were far more isolated back then. You could heavily alter one area and then move to another. Even a single life isn't going to change much in the short term unless it's a king or something. In the long term obviously you're going to be changing massive amounts of things but the same goes for all of these items and in the long run none of these are going to be helpful.
#38 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"] Problem is even one minor change can create a chain event that can change the timeline in such a way that it would be totally impossible to predict in an way what changes would occur after the initial change. Even killing a single animal could mean death for someone that changes the whole path of human history. Ace6301

It all depends on how good the trick is. I'd say knowing the future for the entire world is something you can exploit heavily if you take precautions. That said areas were far more isolated back then. You could heavily alter one area and then move to another. Even a single life isn't going to change much in the short term unless it's a king or something. In the long term obviously you're going to be changing massive amounts of things but the same goes for all of these items and in the long run none of these are going to be helpful.

That is a fair point, but ripples might have initially subtle effects that are truly difficult to predict in the long. I really don't know how stable the outcome of the world is when you change one detail, which affects a few others, which effects others, even in a comparatively isolated system. Basically, how stable is the world, is what I wonder.

#39 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

coolbeans90

That is a fair point, but ripples might have initially subtle effects that are truly difficult to predict in the long. I really don't know how stable the outcome of the world is when you change one detail, which affects a few others, which effects others, even in a comparatively isolated system. Basically, how stable is the world, is what I wonder.

Realistically you're probably going to be living another 30-40 years if you're in your 20s once you go back then. So really I think you'd be dead or retired before your changes had reached a point where things go off the rails. But this is all obviously speculative because wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff.
#40 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

Nothing, because you CAN'T go back in time.

F*ck you, Doc Brown.

#41 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] It all depends on how good the trick is. I'd say knowing the future for the entire world is something you can exploit heavily if you take precautions. That said areas were far more isolated back then. You could heavily alter one area and then move to another. Even a single life isn't going to change much in the short term unless it's a king or something. In the long term obviously you're going to be changing massive amounts of things but the same goes for all of these items and in the long run none of these are going to be helpful. Ace6301

Realistically you're probably going to be living another 30-40 years if you're in your 20s once you go back then. So really I think you'd be dead or retired before your changes had reached a point where things go off the rails. But this is all obviously speculative because wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff.

Basically, there is a huge amount of uncertainty, and the more use I make of the prophetic power, the more likely it would be to collapse, methinks. Of course, maybe such prophesies would be inconsequential in the short term, and maybe even the long term were I to stick with current events. That said, I could always just write down events in the future and leave them to be cared for in some isolated monastery and hope that it just rocks the sh!t out historians when they stumble upon it.

Or I could write Newtonian mechanics and remember what I could from E&M and set the world ahead half a millennium. So many choices.

#42 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13190 posts) -

They are (well, were) just as intelligent, but with precious little (if any) exposure to mechanical machinery of any kind.

coolbeans90

Wait...what?

Stop believing Hollywood. Machines were quite common in the middle ages, even rather complex ones. Hell, da Vinci made mechanically programmable robots! Let's not forget the Antikythera mechanism, which was already ancient by the medieval period.

Let's be honest: if you're going back to 1033 with an Uzi you're going to be before kings and erudite nobles, not peasants.

#43 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

They are (well, were) just as intelligent, but with precious little (if any) exposure to mechanical machinery of any kind.

br0kenrabbit

Wait...what?

Stop believing Hollywood. Machines were quite common in the middle ages, even rather complex ones. Hell, da Vinci made mechanically programmable robots! Let's not forget the Antikythera mechanism, which was already ancient by the medieval period.

Let's be honest: if you're going back to 1033 with an Uzi you're going to be before kings and erudite nobles, not peasants.

Not everyone was da Vinci. Similarly not everyone today is a quantum physicist or even a bloody technician. Machines from place to place would vary drastically in complexity, and the mechanisms and operations involved would be a touch foreign to those who used windmills. Unless you go out of your way to show people how the thing works, they'll have to toy with it a bit before killing you with it.

#44 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13190 posts) -

Not everyone was da Vinci. Similarly not everyone today is a quantum physicist or even a bloody technician. Machines from place to place would vary drastically in complexity, and the mechanisms and operations involved would be a touch foreign to those who used windmills. Unless you go out of your way to show people how the thing works, they'll have to toy with it a bit before killing you with it.

coolbeans90

If a prisoner can forge a key from sight, I've no doubt an educated noble can figure out the simple operation of an Uzi (which has relatively few moving parts compared to most assault weapons, I choose an Uzi for this trip because of that: low maintenance) just by watching someone operate it.

They won't be able to field-strip it right away, but I'm pretty sure they can figure out how to make it go BANG! BANG! rather quickly.

Edit: Also, if they have an Uzi they don't know how to use, and swords that they can utilize quite well, you gonna throw your blankie at em?

#45 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

br0kenrabbit

If a prisoner can forge a key from sight, I've no doubt an educated noble can figure out the simple operation of an Uzi (which has relatively few moving parts compared to most assault weapons, I choose an Uzi for this trip because of that: low maintenance) just by watching someone operate it.

They won't be able to field-strip it right away, but I'm pretty sure they can figure out how to make it go BANG! BANG! rather quickly.

The operation of turning a key is a rather simple operation that the prisoners observed on a number of occasions. Keeping the safety on would prevent immediate operation lest you've graced them with that piece of information. That said, once the Uzi is taken, it's only a matter of time until it is figured out how the thing works. Realistically, getting stabbed in your sleep is a much more likely outcome.

#46 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

Would take the uzi and scare a small kingdom into crowning me their king.

#47 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

Edit: Also, if they have an Uzi they don't know how to use, and swords that they can utilize quite well, you gonna throw your blankie at em?

br0kenrabbit

Already have acknowledged that a proverbial dozen instances ITT.

#48 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13190 posts) -

The operation of turning a key is a rather simple operation that the prisoners observed on a number of occasions.

coolbeans90

I was actually talking about forging the shape of the key from sight alone. Many people are quite visually astute. The safety on an Uzi is a grip-safety, and it's RIGHT THERE.

2jciu0h.jpg

Unless you click it off holding it down by your leg (wouldn't recommend it) it's going to be seen. It will also be obvious when you squeeze the grip to release the safety switch, as it's not exactly free-floating.

But now we're arguing about the ability of persons in 1033 to operate the safety on an Uzi, and I feel like I should have a beer.

ungh.

#49 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

The operation of turning a key is a rather simple operation that the prisoners observed on a number of occasions.

br0kenrabbit

I was actually talking about forging the shape of the key from sight alone. Many people are quite visually astute. The safety on an Uzi is a grip-safety, and it's RIGHT THERE.

Unless you click it off holding it down by your leg (wouldn't recommend it) it's going to be seen. It will also be obvious when you squeeze the grip to release the safety switch, as it's not exactly free-floating.

But now we're arguing about the ability of persons in 1033 to operate the safety on an Uzi, and I feel like I should have a beer.

ungh.

See, many things seem QUITE obvious when you deal with these things in real life.

Wish I could beer, but the fridge is empty. :/

#50 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

air craft carrier fully loaded with LAW weapons on board. Don't ask me why but ya

BTW law is laser weapons that's being installed on ships