Your top 5 martial arts movies ?

• 60 results
#1 Posted by indzman (17534 posts) -

1.Enter The Dragon (Bruce Lee)

2.Once upon a time in China I & II (Let Li)

3.Who am i (Jackie Chan)

4.Bloodsport (Van Damne)

5.Kung Fu Hustle (Stephen Chow)

wbu OT ? :)

#2 Posted by thegerg (15012 posts) -

I think The Boxer is pretty good and underrated.

#3 Posted by blangenakker (2287 posts) -

1. The Raid

2. Police Story

3. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

4. Hero

5. Drunken Master

I like me some martial movies :3

#4 Posted by indzman (17534 posts) -

@thegerg said:

I think The Boxer is pretty good and underrated.

You are crazy, we are speaking about martial arts movies not boxing movies unless its kickboxing =P

#5 Posted by indzman (17534 posts) -

1. The Raid

2. Police Story

3. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

4. Hero

5. Drunken Master

I like me some martial movies :3

Me too, currently waiting for THE RAID 2 to be released on BR :)

#6 Edited by thegerg (15012 posts) -

@indzman: Boxing is a martial art. I also liked the original Karate Kid, ha ha.

#7 Posted by indzman (17534 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@indzman: Boxing is a martial art. I also liked the original Karate Kid, ha ha.

Boxing is not true martial arts and its debatable ( many agree, many disagree) . Original Karate kid is good.

#8 Posted by MonsieurX (29965 posts) -

Can't think of many but The Raid as a top spot

#9 Posted by thegerg (15012 posts) -

@indzman: It's as true of a martial art as any other.

#10 Posted by indzman (17534 posts) -
#11 Posted by thegerg (15012 posts) -

@indzman: Haha. In what way is it not a martial art?

#12 Posted by Master_Live (14395 posts) -

That it isn't from Mars?

Anyways, I like The Karate Kid.

#13 Edited by indzman (17534 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@indzman: Haha. In what way is it not a martial art?

Its vastly different kind of physical combat from Karate or Judo. I doubt anyone categorise boxing movies as martial arts movies =P

#14 Edited by thegerg (15012 posts) -

@indzman: Yes it's different that karate and judo, but that doesn't mean it's not a martial art. Also, judo and karate are vastly different from each other too. What, exactly, do you think a martial art is?

#15 Posted by xxyetixx (1271 posts) -

Hmm lets see

1. Ip Man 1&2

2. Raid

3. Hero

4. Kung Fu Hustle

5. Ong Bak movies

#16 Edited by indzman (17534 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@indzman: Yes it's different that karate and judo, but that doesn't mean it's not a martial art. Also, judo and karate are vastly different from each other too. What, exactly, do you think a martial art is?

Do you know whats martial arts is ? enlighten me as how boxing is same as karate, judo :)

#17 Posted by one_plum (6350 posts) -

1. Police Story
2. Kung Fu Hustle
3. Who am I?
4. Fearless
5. Enter the Dragon

#18 Edited by thegerg (15012 posts) -

@indzman: "Martial arts are codified systems and traditions of combat practices, which are practiced for a variety of reasons: self-defense, competition, physical health and fitness, entertainment, as well as mental, physical, and spiritual development."

Boxing is not the same as karate or judo. Neither is any other martial art. In fact, karate and judo are not the same as each other. Enlighten me to your preoccupation with comparing things to judo and karate. Something does not need to be the same as judo or karate to be a martial art.

#19 Posted by thegerg (15012 posts) -

@xxyetixx: I forgot about Ip Man, that's a good one too.

#20 Posted by indzman (17534 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@indzman: "Martial arts are codified systems and traditions of combat practices, which are practiced for a variety of reasons: self-defense, competition, physical health and fitness, entertainment, as well as mental, physical, and spiritual development."

Boxing is not the same as karate or judo. Neither is any other martial art. In fact, karate and judo are not the same as each other. Enlighten me to your preoccupation with comparing things to judo and karate. Something does not need to be the same as judo or karate to be a martial art.

So tell me me we call Boxing movies as Rocky, Raging Bull as Martial arts movie or american sports movie ?

From WIKI :

Rocky is a 1976 American sports film directed by John G. Avildsen and both written by and starring Sylvester Stallone.

Enter the Dragon is a 1973 Hong Kong martial arts action film directed by Robert Clouse; starring Bruce Lee, John Saxon and Jim Kelly.

We should call Rocky a martial arts movie too according to your opinion :)

#21 Posted by Motokid6 (5416 posts) -

Jet Li's Fearless is an amazing movie.

#22 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (17255 posts) -

In no particular order:

1) Ip Man

2) Fearless

3) The Raid 2

4) Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

5) Rumble in the Bronx

#23 Edited by Aljosa23 (24841 posts) -

@thegerg said:

That's cool and all but Boxing is a sport. Hence it's a sports film. It has always been classified as such. You seem to be confused. Your opinion isn't reality.

#24 Posted by indzman (17534 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@thegerg said:

That's cool and all but Boxing is a sport. Hence it's a sports film. It has always been classified as such. You seem to be confused. Your opinion isn't reality.

True, thats what i've been trying to say to thegerg.

#25 Edited by tocool340 (20495 posts) -

1. Return of the Dragon (Bruce Lee)

2. Enter the Dragon (Bruce Lee)

3. Ip Man 1 & 2 (Donnie Yen)

4. Fearless (Jet Li)

5. Blood of the Dragon (Jimmy Wang Yu)

Oh god, there so many I want to put in on number 5. Worthy mentions:

Master of the flying Guillotine

Thunder kick

Militant fist

One-armed boxer

Black Mask (Jet Li)

And so many others...

#26 Posted by BlackGenjii (231 posts) -

Enter the Dragon (from Robert Clouse & Bruce Lee -uncredited)

The Hidden Fortress (from Akira Kurosawa)

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (from Ang Lee)

House of Flying Daggers (from Zhang Yimou)

Seven Samurai (from Akira Kurosawa)

I've seen other martial arts films, but so far these have remained my favorite.

I also really like the other works from Akira Kurosawa, and I'm really looking forward to seeing A Touch Of Zen... I hear that without it you wouldn't have Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Or House Of Flying Daggers.

#27 Posted by indzman (17534 posts) -

I also really like the other works from Akira Kurosawa, and I'm really looking forward to seeing A Touch Of Zen... I hear that without it you wouldn't have Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Or House Of Flying Daggers.

How is House of Flying Daggers ? Like Crouching Tiger or Hero ? Missed watching the movie , i might one of these days :)

#28 Edited by tocool340 (20495 posts) -
@indzman said:

@BlackGenjii said:

How is House of Flying Daggers ? Like Crouching Tiger or Hero ? Missed watching the movie , i might one of these days :)

House of flying dagger is like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Its definitely a good movie and it keep your interest throughout...

#29 Posted by BlackGenjii (231 posts) -

@indzman said:

It's kinda like crouching Tiger, only (in my opinion no offence to Crouching Tiger) more emotional and with more breathtaking cinematography...

I highly recommend it... it's a must see martial arts film, and no martial arts collection would be complete without it (my own personal opinion).

#30 Posted by indzman (17534 posts) -

Thanks guys, The movie is on my must watch list now :)

#31 Posted by thegerg (15012 posts) -

@indzman: It's a movie about a martial artist and it focuses around him and his practice of his martial art. You are free to call it a sports movie, but that doesn't mean that it's not a martial arts movie or that boxing isn't a martial art.

#32 Posted by indzman (17534 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@indzman: It's a movie about a martial artist and it focuses around him and his practice of his martial art. You are free to call it a sports movie, but that doesn't mean that it's not a martial arts movie or that boxing isn't a martial art.

Rocky now is a martial artist ROFL !!!

#33 Edited by thegerg (15012 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@thegerg said:

Of course it's a sports film, but that doesn't mean it's not also a martial arts film. Take another movie that's bee talked about in this thread, The Karate Kid. The Karate Kid is a sports film that centers around a number of athletes competing in a karate tournament. I don't think that anyone is going to try to say that karate isn't a martial art because there is a sports movie about it, or that a movie about karate can't be a martial arts movie because karate is also a sport.

#34 Posted by thegerg (15012 posts) -

@indzman said:

@thegerg said:

Rocky now is a martial artist ROFL !!!

Well, yeah. A practitioner of a martial art is a martial artist. Is that really so surprising?

#35 Edited by Aljosa23 (24841 posts) -

@thegerg: Okay. Karate Kid is a different film. The Boxer is more about the dude's life and not the actual fights; the choreography and fight scenes are what make a martial art film. You can make up whatever nonsense you want to justify your stupid opinion on art.

#36 Edited by thegerg (15012 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@thegerg: Okay. Karate Kid is a different film. The Boxer is more about the dude's life and not the actual fights; the choreography and fight scenes are what make a martial art film. You can make up whatever nonsense you want to justify your stupid opinion on art.

My opinion is no more stupid than your opinion. I feel that movies about martial artists and their arts are martial arts movies. This doesn't mean that they aren't also dramas, or love movies, or sports movies, or a number of things. But, a movie about a martial artist and his art is a martial arts movie.

Also, The Karate Kid is more about the kid's life than the fights. Does that mean it's not a martial arts movie?

#37 Edited by Master_Live (14395 posts) -

thegerg have you all beaten, according to Wikipedia (for the lay people):

• Martial arts are codified systems and traditions of combat practices, which are practiced for a variety of reasons: self-defense, competition, physical health and fitness, entertainment, as well as mental, physical, and spiritual development.

According to that definition it is difficult to exclude boxing as martial art. Of course, once I saw thegerg say the Boxer I immediately look up the definition and saw how this line of argument was going to proceed. It would be better to say, "martial arts as generally thought about in popular culture" etc. Gotta learn how to deal with thegerg.

#39 Edited by thegerg (15012 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@thegerg said:

@Aljosa23 said:

My opinion is no more stupid than your opinion. I feel that movies about martial artists and their arts are martial arts movies. This doesn't mean that they aren't also dramas, or love movies, or sports movies, or a number of things. But, a movie about a martial artist and his art is a martial arts movie.

Also, The Karate Kid is more about the kid's life than the fights. Does that mean it's not a martial arts movie?

No shit moron but your example is flawed. WTF are you on about? The Boxer is about a martial artist yes but it's not a martial arts film. He rarely displays or exhibits the actual martial art and when he does it is not the focal point of the film. Contrast that with Karate Kid where the actual fight scenes are on the same level as Daniel's character development. Your interpretation of The Boxer is horribly flawed, I'd recommend taking a film studies course because you seem to be confused.

It's no more flawed than your opinion.

Also, there is no need to insult others. Please try to act like an adult.

#40 Edited by Aljosa23 (24841 posts) -

@Master_Live: Have you seen the film? I'm not disputing that Boxing is a martial art (I watch boxing whenever I can) but the film The Boxer is not a martial arts film. It's about the life of someone who boxes but there's very little combat and display of it in the film.

You should look up the definition of martial arts film on Wikipedia.

#41 Posted by Aljosa23 (24841 posts) -

@thegerg: No, your view and interpretation is hugely flawed. For someone obsessed with semantics you're pretty awful at them. Don't give me Kindergarten-level analyses and you won't get insulted.

#42 Posted by Lord_Daemon (24242 posts) -
  • Sha Po Lang
  • Drunken Master 2
  • Police Story
  • Shaolin Intruders
  • Martial Club
  • The Victim
  • Dragons Forever
  • Prodigal Son
  • Duel to the Death
  • 36th Chamber of Shaolin
  • Magnificent Butcher
  • Yes, Madam
  • The Grandmaster
  • Eight-Diagram Pole Fighter
  • Ong Bak
  • My Young Auntie
  • The Street Fighter
  • Boxer from Shantung
  • Wu Xia (2011)
  • Golden Swallow
#43 Edited by thegerg (15012 posts) -

@Aljosa23: The Boxer fits the Wikipedia definition of a martial arts film. Maybe you should look it up yourself.

#44 Posted by thegerg (15012 posts) -

@Aljosa23: Mine are no more flawed than yours. I am simply able to accept that others may have a different opinion than I do. There is no reason to resort to name-calling. Get past the childish BS.

#45 Edited by Aljosa23 (24841 posts) -
@thegerg said:

@Aljosa23: Mine are no more flawed than yours. I am simply able to accept that others may have a different opinion than I do. There is no reason to resort to name-calling. Get past the childish BS.

I accept that you have a different opinion; an opinion that you have terribly defended and gave me no reason to respect that opinion. All you've done is given dictionary definitions of words rather than direct examples from the film, which is sad.

#46 Edited by thegerg (15012 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:
@thegerg said:

I accept that you have a different opinion; an opinion that you have terribly defended and gave me no reason to respect that opinion. All you've done is given dictionary definitions of words rather than direct examples from the film, which is sad.

Haha, it's a movie about a martial artist and his art. It fits the Wikipedia definition of a martial arts film that you yourself told another forum member to look up.

#47 Posted by themajormayor (25736 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@indzman: I also liked the original Karate Kid, ha ha.

HAHAHAHahahahAHA!

#48 Edited by Randolph (10498 posts) -
#49 Edited by 187umKILLAH (1337 posts) -
  1. Enter the Dragon
  2. The Way of the Dragon
  3. Best of the Best
  4. Bloodsport
  5. Kickboxer
#50 Edited by indzman (17534 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:
@thegerg said:

Please don't waste your arguments on the gerg, not worth it lol. He will never understand something simple HeHe