Your personal 'worst sequel ever'?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13042 posts) -

And what I mean is, the sequel that devastated you the most, not necessarily the worst quality sequel ever.

The first real book I ever read was Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. I was in second grade so it took about a week, but I managed to finish it. And then I saw the movie (Secret of NIMH) and loved it, even though it strayed quite far from the original story (no stone or magic shit in the book). No, I'm not a furry (ignore the username for a moment), it's just a really good movie that I still throw in and watch with the youngins.

Seriously, it's coming on Fox twice this month...if you haven't seen it give it a watch.

So...my sister drops her kids off today so she can finish some Christmas shopping and throws the Secret of NIMH 2: Timmy to the Rescue on the table.

Damn, I didn't even know there was a sequel. Well, not to the movie anyway...I have read the book's sequel: Racso and the Rats of NIMH...which was okay. I didn't feel like throwing it out the window or anything, and I'm glad I read it, but reading it once was enough.

So here I get all giddy, get everyone situated and throw the disc in.

OMG, this isn't...WTF is this shit? They didn't...what in the hell? They're SINGING?!

The art sucks, the animation sucks, the character design sucks, the acting sucks, the plot sucks, the...THIS MOVIE SUCKS.

Fuck.

:(

I is sad. One of the greatest animated films of all time just got shit on. We're talking post-Mexican-food-and-tequila soft-serve power-shit while being down to two squares of TP. Seriously, who the fuck thought this was a good idea?

Can I sue? Someone? Please?

Urrrhhggg...

Well...at least there's the rumored reboot. Right?

Hollywood is remaking The Rats of Nimh as a CGI extravaganza.

FUCK.

>:-[

#2 Edited by Iszdope (10129 posts) -

Thanks for that.

Edit: Revenge of the Nerds II: Nerds in Paradise.

#3 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13042 posts) -

@Iszdope said:
Revenge of the Nerds II: Nerds in Paradise.

I'd almost forgotten about that one, so thanks for nothing.

:p

#4 Posted by Iszdope (10129 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

@Iszdope said:
Revenge of the Nerds II: Nerds in Paradise.

I'd almost forgotten about that one, so thanks for nothing.

:p

Welcome.

#5 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14449 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

Thanks for that.

I never understood that one. How do you take a R-rated T-and-A comedy, remove all the good stuff and make it a PG-13 sequel? Not to mention the two other made-for-TV sequels.

#6 Posted by chernoalpha527 (168 posts) -

Jurassic Park 2 god what a mess that movie was. Not only was it just a bad movie you could just feel all the creativity and passion sucked out of it.

#7 Edited by br0kenrabbit (13042 posts) -

@chernoalpha527 said:

Jurassic Park 2 god what a mess that movie was. Not only was it just a bad movie you could just feel all the creativity and passion sucked out of it.

Never seen it. Wasn't fond enough of the first one to ever bother.

#8 Edited by Lord_Daemon (24272 posts) -

I guess personally my biggest disappointment in the theatre was Ghostbusters 2 which, though watchable for bits here and there, overall was a HUGE drop in quality from the first and the whole "making New Yorkers all happy" bit was just painfully embarrassing to witness.

#9 Posted by Iszdope (10129 posts) -

@hallenbeck77 said:

@Iszdope said:

Thanks for that.

I never understood that one. How do you take a R-rated T-and-A comedy, remove all the good stuff and make it a PG-13 sequel? Not to mention the two other made-for-TV sequels.

The horror.

#10 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14449 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

@hallenbeck77 said:

@Iszdope said:

Thanks for that.

The horror.

I remember the planned remake that was supposed to come out back in 2007, but it was shut down two weeks after filming began. Supposedly, the studio head was disappointed with the dailies.

#11 Edited by Iszdope (10129 posts) -

@hallenbeck77 said:

@Iszdope said:

@hallenbeck77 said:

@Iszdope said:

Thanks for that.

The horror.

I remember the planned remake that was supposed to come out back in 2007, but it was shut down two weeks after filming began. Supposedly, the studio head was disappointed with the dailies.

That's a shame.

Edit: seriously.

#12 Edited by Master_Live (14811 posts) -

Men in Black II: 5/10

US Marshals: 6/10, this is the sequel to The Fugitive, I mean it is such a fvcking rehash, an innocent man is frame and blah blah.

Mission Impossible 2: 6/10

Saw 2: 6/10, became a standard horror flick.

Iron Man 2: 1/10 so horrible and stupid beyond words.

#13 Posted by wiifan001 (18420 posts) -

Diamonds Are Forever

#14 Edited by plageus900 (1081 posts) -

The Michael Bay Universe 2: Even more explosions.

Anyway, I thought Exorcist 2: The Heretic was pretty god awful.

#15 Posted by Aljosa23 (25120 posts) -

Escape from LA. :(

#16 Edited by thegerg (15441 posts) -

I "don't have" any sequels.

#17 Edited by themajormayor (25847 posts) -

@thegerg said:

I "don't have" any sequels.

I'm pretty sure you have sequels of some kind in your possession.

#18 Posted by playmynutz (6059 posts) -

Think Scary Movie 3 was a let down for a lot of us

#19 Edited by foxhound_fox (88691 posts) -

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

An atrociously made movie that, while I enjoyed the previous iteration a lot as a teenager (more I think due to the extension of the universe rather than the movie itself, i.e. in video games), ruined practically everything I loved about The Phantom Menace. It focused far too much on dialogue (which was terrible) and Anakin's and Padme's relationship. The battle sequences were also incredibly bland and overly showy. Not the simplistic elegance of the original trilogy.

The Dark Knight Rises

I *love* The Dark Knight. Like, I've seen it probably 20 times love it. But Rises never struck me as either enjoyable nor well-made. It seemed overly politically motivated and way too much of a cluster-fuck of ideas that didn't coalesce into a proper Batman story. After the sequence in the football stadium, that's when it all fell completely apart and I very much lost interest.

#20 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

Pretty much every sequel Disney has ever made. Maybe Aladdin 2 tops the list because the entire frigging movie was "Genies can't kill anyone!" "But it's amazing what you can LIVE through!"

#21 Edited by GazaAli (22974 posts) -

That's odd, no matter how hard I try I can't think of such an instance. What kind of confounded me after thinking about it is the fact that I'm unable to recall watching anything that had or got any kind of a sequel.

#22 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

That's odd, no matter how hard I try I can't think of such an instance. What kind of confounded me after thinking about it is the fact that I'm unable to recall watching anything that had or got any kind of a sequel.

Have you been living in a cave?

#23 Posted by GazaAli (22974 posts) -

@huggybear1020 said:

@GazaAli said:

Have you been living in a cave?

No, I'm just very picky and meticulous with the things I watch, I'm just hard to please. And from personal observation, the vast majority of franchises that get a sequel in general suck to varying extents. They either originally suck or their quality progressively deteriorates with the introduction of every sequel which is also directly proportional to the order of the sequel itself.

Or you can say that the vast majority of high quality franchises would most likely choose to do without the whole business of sequels. You can look at it from either perspective.

Sequels for the most part are there to milk the franchise and to get the most of it after either being received positively by the public or managing with the debut of the original work to build a solid and loyal fan base to exploit.

#24 Edited by BossPerson (9473 posts) -

Scarface 2: Return of the face

#25 Posted by konvikt_17 (22248 posts) -

The Sandlot 2.

was just awful.

#26 Edited by Netret0120 (2199 posts) -

The Sandlot 2 was terrible. Complete Garbage

#27 Posted by CleanPlayer (9822 posts) -

Kick-Ass 2 was a piece of crap. Lost all the charm of that franchise.

#28 Edited by roulettethedog (10978 posts) -

Caddy Shack 2 and Slap Shot 2 and 3.

#29 Posted by ChiefvsGordon (1085 posts) -

How about Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2. How could you take a classic AAA title like Baby Geniuses and make a sequel that tarnishes the reputation of the first film.

#30 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

I think they should of left terminator alone after 2.

#31 Edited by Shmiity (5145 posts) -

Gaming related? Maybe Devil may Cry 2.

#32 Posted by hippiesanta (9890 posts) -

Dr Doolittle 2

Man in black 2

Speed 2

Avengers 2 .... yeah .. I'm frm the future

#33 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1750 posts) -

Super Smash Bros Brawl was a failed attempt at capturing the brilliance and excellence of Super Smash Bros Melee.

#34 Edited by Zelda187 (941 posts) -

Resident Evil 4

Yeah, good fundamentally sound game. But it bridged Resident Evil from survival horror to the fucking mediocre action shooter that it is today.

#35 Posted by destinhpark (4753 posts) -

Hmmm... The entire new Star Wars trilogy. Does that count?

#36 Edited by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

-Jurassic Park 2

- (Insert any Disney Sequel besides Toy Story 2 Here)

- Grease 2

-Staying Alive (The Sequel to Saturday Night Fever)

-Son of the Mask

-Batman & Robin (Yes I liked Batman Forever)

#37 Posted by __Kaine__ (1305 posts) -

Mortal kombat annihilation.. just terribad..

#38 Edited by Laihendi (5828 posts) -

The new Hobbit movie is complete garbage, but so was the last one.

#39 Edited by spike6958 (4828 posts) -

My most hated are the sequels to The Land Before Time. The first movie was awesome, my favorite growing up, it was very dark for a kids movie, and the end is really the only moment of the entire thing that's happy. Then the sequels comes out and while the second and third are watchable they are ruined by the much more lighthearted tone and constant singing, and the ones after that just get worse and worse.

Some others I would mention are:

• Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
  • Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix
  • Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince
  • Jurassic Park III
  • Shrek the 3rd
  • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
  • The Dark Knight

#40 Posted by 187umKILLAH (1345 posts) -

Movie: Wishmaster 2 and all sequels, still enjoy watching the original and it's easy to tell that it's the only one with Wes Craven's name attached to it.

Game: Golden Axe: Beast Rider, way to bring shame upon a classic gaming series Sega.

#41 Posted by touchscreenpad (220 posts) -

Alone in the Dark 2...though the first one for me isn't very good to begin with...but still.

#42 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (834 posts) -

Terminator Salvation. I was sitting there having to remind myself that it was a movie and not a horrible television pilot episode. Everything that has Terminator in the name was better than Batman pretending to John Connor. Sam Worthington was the only thing worth seeing on that movie. The cgi Arnold face...

#43 Edited by harry_james_pot (10925 posts) -

That would be Jurassic Park 2.

#44 Posted by KHAndAnime (13875 posts) -

Christmas Vacation 2 : Eddie's Island Get-Away

#45 Posted by pandora_wizard (56 posts) -

Movies worst sequels:

• Army of Darkness (Evil Dead 3)
  • Iron Man 2
  • Friday the 13th Part 9
  • Police Academy 7

Video games

• Shadow Hearts 3
  • Resident Evil 5
  • Street Fighter 3
  • Diablo 3
#46 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (17497 posts) -

Got an oddball pick here, but Battle Royale 2 was pretty awful. Really wanted to like it, but damn that movie was so dumb....

#47 Posted by Menalque2 (2630 posts) -

I didn't think Ghostbusters II was that bad. The villain was never going to be as cool as that Sumerian deity from the first, but it was still very entertaining and character driven. Plus, anybody who saw it when they were 8 years old and says that ghost version of Janosz didn't scare the crap out of them is lying.

Troll 2 has to be the most shameless abuse of a film title in history. The "original", although not much of a horror, was a reasonably fun slice of 80's cheese in the style of Gremlins. The "sequel" was an unrelated amateur horror about some killer goblins, which got its title thrust on it by some studio desperate for a quick buck. It gets a lot of undeserved publicity as being 'so bad, it's good'; but even the unintended entertainment value you'd expect (from its comical title if nothing else) just isn't there.

#48 Posted by Sharpie125 (3904 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit: Man, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH bummed me out for a few days after I finished it back in middle school. Never thought I'd see that title pop up again :P

#49 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13042 posts) -

@Sharpie125 said:

@br0kenrabbit: Man, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH bummed me out for a few days after I finished it back in middle school. Never thought I'd see that title pop up again :P

The movie deviates quite a bit from the book but it's still a damn good movie. If you haven't seen it, it's free on Hulu.

#50 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14449 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

@Sharpie125 said:

The movie deviates quite a bit from the book but it's still a damn good movie. If you haven't seen it, it's free on Hulu.

It's also on Netflix as well--at least until Jan. 1. If you got a subscription, I say watch it there, if only to avoid sitting through the commercials on Hulu.