Your favorite time travel movie?

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (1986 posts) -
Which time travel movie or movie franchise is your favorite? There aren´t many movies but for me, it´s Terminator movie franchise. I know Terminator 3 was not that good, but i love idea that Terminator from future is sent back in time to kill you, and at the same time, you trying to change future and then later you fight in future war. I never liked Back to the Future. It dosent make sense, and it´s kid movie. I hate this movie.
#2 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -
Terminator doesn't make any more sense than Back to the Future. Think about it. If Kyle Reese is John Connor's father, then how the hell does John Connor exist in the future to send his father back to impregnate his mother? He would have already had to have existed. The whole premise of the franchise is stupid. That doesn't stop the first two Terminator movies from being awesome any more than the logical paradoxes implied in the first two Back to the Future movies stop them from being awesome. All of that said, my favorite time traveling movie is Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.
#3 Posted by Iszdope (9560 posts) -

Terminator.

#4 Posted by TopStarRacer (5732 posts) -

The Back to the Future trilogy.

#5 Posted by Kurushio (10485 posts) -
Terminator and Back to the Future series are probably tops. Other ones include: Looper Hot Tub Time Machine Deja Vu Star Trek(s) Frequency (though not really time travel exactly) Time Cop Superman (technically lol) Groundhog Day 12:01 and probably one of my sentimental favorites: Flight of the Navigator.
#6 Posted by bbkkristian (14911 posts) -
Back to the Future.
#7 Posted by mrbojangles25 (31985 posts) -

Time Bandits or Groundhog Day

#8 Posted by marcheegsr (2462 posts) -

Back to the future trilogy.

#9 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12795 posts) -

You guys suck.

Burn in hell.

vmsymx.jpg

#10 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10071 posts) -

TimeCrimes
12:01 P.M.
Idaho Transfer
A.P.E.X.
The Terminator 1,2

#11 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6523 posts) -
Back to the Future. Terminator gave me a boner though so its cool.
#12 Posted by OrkHammer007 (4751 posts) -

vmsymx.jpg

br0kenrabbit

I absolutely love this movie. It just about saved my sanity in nuke school.

I'm shocked no one has mentioned Time After Time. H. G. Wells vs. Jack the Ripper? Good stuff.

#13 Posted by Ballroompirate (22262 posts) -

Time Bandits

T1

T2

#14 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (1986 posts) -
[QUOTE="famicommander"]Terminator doesn't make any more sense than Back to the Future. Think about it. If Kyle Reese is John Connor's father, then how the hell does John Connor exist in the future to send his father back to impregnate his mother? He would have already had to have existed. The whole premise of the franchise is stupid. That doesn't stop the first two Terminator movies from being awesome any more than the logical paradoxes implied in the first two Back to the Future movies stop them from being awesome. All of that said, my favorite time traveling movie is Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Terminator timetravel makes very sense. John Connor exist in the future beucase he is alive, and Reese borns in 2002 which is why he is teenager in 2018(Terminator Salvation)  Here is timeline for you.
#15 Posted by killzowned24 (7296 posts) -

I just got done watching a real old one and wasn't the bad.Can find the whole on youtube.

The Philadelphia Experiment 1984

#16 Posted by Baranga (14217 posts) -

Army of Darkness.

#17 Posted by Lord_Daemon (24233 posts) -
#18 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2706 posts) -
Back to the Future 2 The Terminator Back to the Future Idiocracy
#19 Posted by Shadow4020 (1942 posts) -

One of my favorites is Primer.

#20 Posted by MrGeezer (56040 posts) -
[QUOTE="famicommander"]Terminator doesn't make any more sense than Back to the Future. Think about it. If Kyle Reese is John Connor's father, then how the hell does John Connor exist in the future to send his father back to impregnate his mother? He would have already had to have existed. The whole premise of the franchise is stupid. That doesn't stop the first two Terminator movies from being awesome any more than the logical paradoxes implied in the first two Back to the Future movies stop them from being awesome. All of that said, my favorite time traveling movie is Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

The Terminator was basically just the equivalent of an extended Twilight Zone episode (albeit darker and bleaker, and with a lot more violent murder). The paradox is sort of the entire point of the movie, and illustrates the futility of choice. This is a universe in which "no fate but what we make" is complete and utter horse$hit. The Terminator never even had a chance of killing Sarah Connor, because he DIDN'T kill Sarah Connor. It was predestined that Kyle Reese would travel back in time and impregnate Sarah Connor, because that had already happened. Nothing changes, and freedom is an illusion. Anyway, my favorite time travel movie is 12 Monkeys. It actually does share some similarities to The Terminator as well, but there's just something about it that's special to me. The time travelling character in 12 Monkeys for the most part KNOWS that everyone is doomed, that he can't save anyone, and yet he becomes increasingly addicted to a dying world on the brink of collapse. He makes return trips just to taste the air and listen to the music, and then everyone dies. It's really quite beautiful.
#21 Posted by MrGeezer (56040 posts) -
[QUOTE="FreedomFreeLife"] Terminator timetravel makes very sense. John Connor exist in the future beucase he is alive, and Reese borns in 2002 which is why he is teenager in 2018(Terminator Salvation)  Here is timeline for you.

I don't even think it's worth bothering trying to make sense of the Terminator franchise after the second movie (and arguably after the first). Terminator 2 arguably $hat all over the established rules of the first film, and Terminator 3 DEFINITELY $hat all over the established rules of the first film. Notice that the T-X goes back in time with a list of people to assassinate, and actually succeeds in assassinating them. That doesn't work. If the female Terminator actually succeeded in killing that person in the past, then that person wouldn't exist in the future and there'd be no reason to go back in time and assassinate him. TheTerminator Salvation is just a continuation after Terminator 3. And while I haven't personally watched it, I've heard that the TV show goes with the "multiple timelines" scenario (which is inconsistent with the first movie). The movie that stuck closest to the first film was Terminator 2, and even that arguably violates the rules when we consider the whole Miles Dyson situation. The bottom line is...why even bother making sense of it? This is a franchise that doesn't even TRY to follow the previously established rules, and just makes up $hit on the fly in order to justify more action scenes. The first and second movies dealt with interesting themes and tried to at least (mostly) be respectful of the conceptual universe. After that, it's just an excuse to see humans and robots fighting (not counting the TV show, which I can't fairly judge because I haven't watched it).
#22 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (1986 posts) -
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="famicommander"]Terminator doesn't make any more sense than Back to the Future. Think about it. If Kyle Reese is John Connor's father, then how the hell does John Connor exist in the future to send his father back to impregnate his mother? He would have already had to have existed. The whole premise of the franchise is stupid. That doesn't stop the first two Terminator movies from being awesome any more than the logical paradoxes implied in the first two Back to the Future movies stop them from being awesome. All of that said, my favorite time traveling movie is Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

The Terminator was basically just the equivalent of an extended Twilight Zone episode (albeit darker and bleaker, and with a lot more violent murder). The paradox is sort of the entire point of the movie, and illustrates the futility of choice. This is a universe in which "no fate but what we make" is complete and utter horse$hit. The Terminator never even had a chance of killing Sarah Connor, because he DIDN'T kill Sarah Connor. It was predestined that Kyle Reese would travel back in time and impregnate Sarah Connor, because that had already happened. Nothing changes, and freedom is an illusion. Anyway, my favorite time travel movie is 12 Monkeys. It actually does share some similarities to The Terminator as well, but there's just something about it that's special to me. The time travelling character in 12 Monkeys for the most part KNOWS that everyone is doomed, that he can't save anyone, and yet he becomes increasingly addicted to a dying world on the brink of collapse. He makes return trips just to taste the air and listen to the music, and then everyone dies. It's really quite beautiful.

I guess you did not watch Terminator movies at all. There is no paradox because in first timeline: First timeline)Sarah Connor make baby with random guy, John Connor borns, judgement days is in 1997, time travel begins in 2029. Second timeline(from 2029), Sarah Connor is alive, but Terminator is sent back in time to kill Sarah, and Kyle make him baby instead and stops T-800. Judgement day happens in 1997, time travel begins in 2029. Third timeline(from second timeline 2029), T-1000 is sent back in time to kill John Connor in 1995 but it fails. John, T-800 and Sarah stops judgement day. Judgement day happens in 2004. 2032 is T-X sent back in time in 2004. 4rd timeline (from third timeline, 2032 to 2004). T-X fails, judgement day happens in 2004. Future is changed, T-800 terminators are already made ready in 2018(8 years too early) and this is not the future what his mother told him about. So yeah, they can change future like they stopped judgement day in 1997 and changed future.
#23 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (1986 posts) -
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="FreedomFreeLife"] Terminator timetravel makes very sense. John Connor exist in the future beucase he is alive, and Reese borns in 2002 which is why he is teenager in 2018(Terminator Salvation)  Here is timeline for you.

I don't even think it's worth bothering trying to make sense of the Terminator franchise after the second movie (and arguably after the first). Terminator 2 arguably $hat all over the established rules of the first film, and Terminator 3 DEFINITELY $hat all over the established rules of the first film. Notice that the T-X goes back in time with a list of people to assassinate, and actually succeeds in assassinating them. That doesn't work. If the female Terminator actually succeeded in killing that person in the past, then that person wouldn't exist in the future and there'd be no reason to go back in time and assassinate him. TheTerminator Salvation is just a continuation after Terminator 3. And while I haven't personally watched it, I've heard that the TV show goes with the "multiple timelines" scenario (which is inconsistent with the first movie). The movie that stuck closest to the first film was Terminator 2, and even that arguably violates the rules when we consider the whole Miles Dyson situation. The bottom line is...why even bother making sense of it? This is a franchise that doesn't even TRY to follow the previously established rules, and just makes up $hit on the fly in order to justify more action scenes. The first and second movies dealt with interesting themes and tried to at least (mostly) be respectful of the conceptual universe. After that, it's just an excuse to see humans and robots fighting (not counting the TV show, which I can't fairly judge because I haven't watched it).

Those who died in Terminator 3, does not exist in future. Tell me, who died in past and exist in future? Like i told you, Kyle Reese was born in 2002, judgement day happened in 2004, so, he was not killed in timeline at all. " actually succeeds in assassinating them" Did you watch Terminator Salvation? It says, this is not the future my mother told me about. You see, T-800 terminators in first timeline were created in 2029, but in Salvation T-800 Terminators are already crated in 2018. Why? Because Judgement Day happened in 2004, not in 1997. Because Judgement Day happened in 2004, this changed future.
#24 Posted by Allicrombie (25114 posts) -
The time travelling character in 12 Monkeys for the most part KNOWS that everyone is doomed, that he can't save anyone, and yet he becomes increasingly addicted to a dying world on the brink of collapse. He makes return trips just to taste the air and listen to the music, and then everyone dies. It's really quite beautiful.MrGeezer
it really is.
#25 Posted by MrGeezer (56040 posts) -
[QUOTE="FreedomFreeLife"] I guess you did not watch Terminator movies at all. There is no paradox because in first timeline: First timeline)Sarah Connor make baby with random guy, John Connor borns, judgement days is in 1997, time travel begins in 2029. Second timeline(from 2029), Sarah Connor is alive, but Terminator is sent back in time to kill Sarah, and Kyle make him baby instead and stops T-800. Judgement day happens in 1997, time travel begins in 2029. Third timeline(from second timeline 2029), T-1000 is sent back in time to kill John Connor in 1995 but it fails. John, T-800 and Sarah stops judgement day. Judgement day happens in 2004. 2032 is T-X sent back in time in 2004. 4rd timeline (from third timeline, 2032 to 2004). T-X fails, judgement day happens in 2004. Future is changed, T-800 terminators are already made ready in 2018(8 years too early) and this is not the future what his mother told him about. So yeah, they can change future like they stopped judgement day in 1997 and changed future.

There was no first timeline. There was always a single timeline, and within that timeline there exists a paradox. The Terminator, a killer robot from the future, was ALWAYS present in 1984. There is no version of history in which this is not the case. That most certainly IS a paradox. When saying this, I ask you to ignore any and all sequels and supplemental material, and go SOLELY by the first movie. As far as the first movie goes, it's a single timeline. Everything happens exactly as it "always" happened and exactly as it must happen. Proof? The photograph. That single polaroid photograph contains INCREDIBLY crucial information into how this narrative universe works. We see this photograph "before" Kyle Reese and the Terminator go back in time to change history. We then see this photograph "after" Kyle Reese and The Terminator go back in time, and the photograph is exactly the same. That is a HUGE revelation. It was a certain specific chain of events that led Sarah Connor to that exact gas station at the exact same time wearing the exact same clothes to get her picture taken by the exact same little boy. That chain of events was set off by the arrival of Kyle Reese and The Terminator. Therefore, if that EXACT same photograph existed "BEFORE" Kyle Reese and The Terminator travelled back in time, then the "original" timeline was ALSO a timeline in which Sarah Connor had her world shaken by the arrival of those exact same two time travellers from the future. NOTHING HAS CHANGED. That is the entire point, that's EXACTLY the reason why James Cameron showed that specific photograph just before showing Sarah Connor driving off into the approaching storm.
#26 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (1986 posts) -
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="FreedomFreeLife"] I guess you did not watch Terminator movies at all. There is no paradox because in first timeline: First timeline)Sarah Connor make baby with random guy, John Connor borns, judgement days is in 1997, time travel begins in 2029. Second timeline(from 2029), Sarah Connor is alive, but Terminator is sent back in time to kill Sarah, and Kyle make him baby instead and stops T-800. Judgement day happens in 1997, time travel begins in 2029. Third timeline(from second timeline 2029), T-1000 is sent back in time to kill John Connor in 1995 but it fails. John, T-800 and Sarah stops judgement day. Judgement day happens in 2004. 2032 is T-X sent back in time in 2004. 4rd timeline (from third timeline, 2032 to 2004). T-X fails, judgement day happens in 2004. Future is changed, T-800 terminators are already made ready in 2018(8 years too early) and this is not the future what his mother told him about. So yeah, they can change future like they stopped judgement day in 1997 and changed future.

There was no first timeline. There was always a single timeline, and within that timeline there exists a paradox. The Terminator, a killer robot from the future, was ALWAYS present in 1984. There is no version of history in which this is not the case. That most certainly IS a paradox. When saying this, I ask you to ignore any and all sequels and supplemental material, and go SOLELY by the first movie. As far as the first movie goes, it's a single timeline. Everything happens exactly as it "always" happened and exactly as it must happen. Proof? The photograph. That single polaroid photograph contains INCREDIBLY crucial information into how this narrative universe works. We see this photograph "before" Kyle Reese and the Terminator go back in time to change history. We then see this photograph "after" Kyle Reese and The Terminator go back in time, and the photograph is exactly the same. That is a HUGE revelation. It was a certain specific chain of events that led Sarah Connor to that exact gas station at the exact same time wearing the exact same clothes to get her picture taken by the exact same little boy. That chain of events was set off by the arrival of Kyle Reese and The Terminator. Therefore, if that EXACT same photograph existed "BEFORE" Kyle Reese and The Terminator travelled back in time, then the "original" timeline was ALSO a timeline in which Sarah Connor had her world shaken by the arrival of those exact same two time travellers from the future. NOTHING HAS CHANGED. That is the entire point, that's EXACTLY the reason why James Cameron showed that specific photograph just before showing Sarah Connor driving off into the approaching storm.

Wow... you so stupid. There was first timeline, otherwive Terminator wouldnt know to go back in time 2004. Look at this image > http://warp.povusers.org/terminator_timelines_theory/timelines.png In first timeline there was no Kyle Reese. Sarah made baby with some random guy, and then John Connor borns. In future Skynet has no other choice than to change future by sending Terminator back in time to change events. Look at first timeline, no terminators.
#27 Posted by MrGeezer (56040 posts) -
[QUOTE="FreedomFreeLife"] Wow... you so stupid. There was first timeline, otherwive Terminator wouldnt know to go back in time 2004. Look at this image > http://warp.povusers.org/terminator_timelines_theory/timelines.png In first timeline there was no Kyle Reese. Sarah made baby with some random guy, and then John Connor borns. In future Skynet has no other choice than to change future by sending Terminator back in time to change events. Look at first timeline, no terminators.

The Terminator didn't go back in time to 2004. The Terminator went back in time to 1984. Judgement Day didn't happen in 2002, Judgement Day happened in 1997. Again, stop trying to make later works fit into that conceptual universe. Later works don't count. They weren't part of the creator's vision, and were only done to extend the franchise (that bull$hit in Terminator 3 about Judgement Day being delayed? They only did that because Terminator 3 was made AFTER 199y, when Judgement Day actually happens). Original movie illustrates a single timeline in which free will is an illusion. That is the creator's vision, those are the rules. You can't disprove that by citing later entries into the franchise which deliberately $hat all over the rules just to continue the franchise. Show me something in THE FIRST MOVIE that proves me wrong. Plain and simple, the sequels violated the rules and stopped giving a $hit about following the rules set forth from the start. That's exactly the point at which it's a waste of effort to to make sense of the franchise at large. I'd like you to keep in mind that James Cameron actually shot an ending for Terminator 2 that shows Judgement Day being averted, but then had it edited out before the movie's release because he realized that changing the timeline $hits all over the first movie's rules.
#28 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (1986 posts) -
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="FreedomFreeLife"] Wow... you so stupid. There was first timeline, otherwive Terminator wouldnt know to go back in time 2004. Look at this image > http://warp.povusers.org/terminator_timelines_theory/timelines.png In first timeline there was no Kyle Reese. Sarah made baby with some random guy, and then John Connor borns. In future Skynet has no other choice than to change future by sending Terminator back in time to change events. Look at first timeline, no terminators.

The Terminator didn't go back in time to 2004. The Terminator went back in time to 1984. Judgement Day didn't happen in 2002, Judgement Day happened in 1997. Again, stop trying to make later works fit into that conceptual universe. Later works don't count. They weren't part of the creator's vision, and were only done to extend the franchise (that bull$hit in Terminator 3 about Judgement Day being delayed? They only did that because Terminator 3 was made AFTER 199y, when Judgement Day actually happens). Original movie illustrates a single timeline in which free will is an illusion. That is the creator's vision, those are the rules. You can't disprove that by citing later entries into the franchise which deliberately $hat all over the rules just to continue the franchise. Show me something in THE FIRST MOVIE that proves me wrong.

Clealy, you have no idea what you are talking about. Judgement day happened in 2004. Original judgement day in first and second timeline was in 1997, but they changed it and it happend instead 2004. You never watched any terminator movie, or you too confused and stupid to undestand anything.
#29 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13593 posts) -

primer

#30 Posted by MrGeezer (56040 posts) -
[QUOTE="FreedomFreeLife"] Clealy, you have no idea what you are talking about. Judgement day happened in 2004. Original judgement day in first and second timeline was in 1997, but they changed it and it happend instead 2004. You never watched any terminator movie, or you too confused and stupid to undestand anything.

You seem to be someone who never saw the first movie. Or (a more likely scenario) at least, someone who only saw the first movie AFTER seeing the sequels and then tried to force the original into being consistent with the sequels. Again, ignore the sequels. Consider the first movie entirely by itself, because THAT was the movie that created the conceptual universe and established the rule. Watch The Terminator again, and try to look at it in a vacuum. Ignore everything else that came after that, try to imagine that that one single movie is the only movie or TV show having anything to do with that universe. Now, within that one SINGLE movie, answer me this...what does that photograph mean? That's not a rhetorical question, I want an honest answer. What was James Cameron trying to SAY with that photograph? Why did he include it and make it so prominent? If you think my interpretation is bull$hit, fine. But I have yet to see you offering your own. Why was that photograph there? Why did James Cameron (a man who is VERY big on details) deliberately choose to not only make that photograph similar, but to instead make it exactly the same as the photograph shown earlier? [spoiler] Answer: Because it is the EXACT SAME PHOTOGRAPH [/spoiler] If that truly is the EXACT same photograph that was shown earlier, then what does that say about the conceptual universe in which that photograph was made? Answer these questions without appealing to sequels or comic books or TV shows or videogames or other material within the franchise. As a movie goer living in 1984 who is watching The Terminator for the first time, what conclusions are that viewer supposed to draw from that photograph?
#31 Posted by mems_1224 (46228 posts) -
Terminator 2, one of the best movies of all time.
#32 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36751 posts) -
Back to the Future for sure
#33 Posted by sukraj (21902 posts) -

Back to the future trilogy.

#34 Posted by MuD3 (1201 posts) -
back to the future.... and no, not just because you hate it.
#35 Posted by 1oh1nine1 (779 posts) -

Back to the Future Trilogy.  Yes, including Part III, since everyone should know already it's totally better than Part II, and its 1950s rehashing.  

I like the Terminator, but that series as a whole totally messed up any sense of consistency with their time travel.  It's not about time travel (past the first film, that is), the time travel is just a narrative tool to get a super advanced killer robot in the present day, and it is treated as such.  That said, Geezer right, Freedom wrong wrong wrong.

Also, 12 Monkeys is sweet.

#36 Posted by TheFlush (5474 posts) -

PRIMER

#37 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (1986 posts) -
See, i was right, you ignoring timeline. Done, you are muted and blocked. From now on, i can´t see your posts.
#38 Posted by tryagainlater (7445 posts) -

Army of Darkness :cool:

#39 Posted by CreatureRising (1530 posts) -

Army of Darkness.

Baranga

Was gonna put that.

But I'll also say Terminator Judgement Day.  

#40 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -
The Time Machine, the original from 1960.
#41 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -

Army of Darkness :cool:

tryagainlater
My favorite of the Evil Dead Trilogy :)
#42 Posted by SaintLeonidas (25894 posts) -

Looper

Safety Not Guaranteed

#43 Posted by wolverine4262 (18928 posts) -
Back to the Future trilogy. Also it makes sense
#44 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29077 posts) -

Looper

Safety Not Guaranteed

SaintLeonidas
Looper needed less JGL trying to be badass and more Bruce Willis being badass.
#45 Posted by Ricardomz (2329 posts) -

Star Trek, Terminator and Looper.

#46 Posted by Swanogt19 (24159 posts) -
Back To The Future. Part 1.
#47 Posted by CongressManStan (918 posts) -
Butterfly Effect. One of my all time favorite movies.
#48 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17572 posts) -
the time traveler's wife [spoiler] [/spoiler]
#49 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36751 posts) -
Back to the Future trilogy. Also it makes sensewolverine4262
No it doesn't But damn its entertaining
#50 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13593 posts) -

Looper

Safety Not Guaranteed

SaintLeonidas

Looper is easily one of the worst time travel movies ever