Your Favorite Paul Thomas Anderson Film?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: Your Favorite Paul Thomas Anderson Film? (8 votes)

Hard Eight (1996) 0%
Boogie Nights (1997) 13%
Magnolia (1999) 13%
Punch-Drunk Love (2002) 25%
There Will Be Blood (2007) 38%
The Master (2012) 13%

So I just finished viewing Hard Eight and Punch-Drunk Love today and didn't realized that with that I have seen all of PTA feature length films. So which one is your favorite? Here are my ratings:

Hard Eight 7/10

Boogie Nights 7/10

Magnolia 7/10

Punch-Drunk Love 7/10

There Will Be Blood 8/10

The Master 7/10

For reference everything 7 and up I liked, 6 downward I discard. So I have liked every PTA movie with There Will Be Blood being my favorite.

#1 Posted by dave123321 (34309 posts) -

I'm looking forward to Inherent Vice

#2 Edited by Aljosa23 (25685 posts) -

Why don't you actually write some thoughts on films for a change instead of giving everything a rating?

The Master or There Will Be Blood. They are all great besides Magnolia.

#3 Posted by dave123321 (34309 posts) -

I give that one an B

#4 Posted by Master_Live (15412 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

Why don't you actually write some thoughts on films for a change instead of giving everything a rating?

Why isn't Magnolia great?

#5 Edited by JML897 (33131 posts) -

Punch-Drunk Love, TWBB is a close second

#6 Posted by dave123321 (34309 posts) -

Pdl was good

Solid A

#7 Posted by Aljosa23 (25685 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@Aljosa23 said:

I need to see it again because it has been ages since I last watched it but I remember it not justifying its length well at all and that singing sequence was horrid and nearly ruined the film for me.

#8 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26722 posts) -

The Master

#9 Posted by Master_Live (15412 posts) -

The hype sort of killed Magnolia for me, so many years hearing how awesome that movie was, then I saw it and was like "meh, it was ok". I need to rewatch Boogie Nights, There Will Be Blood and The Master. I remember seeing There Will Be Blood on the theater and thinking: "This movie requires a second viewing so you can savor or the little intricacies and details more fully". Then I was so pumped about The Master (the trailer in and of itself is something to admire) but then Ebert gave it 2 1/2 stars and I was disappointed so I decided not to see it on theaters (tight on money). I regret that decision.

#10 Posted by dave123321 (34309 posts) -

Oh the first episode of true detective required me to watch again. Think that's will be true for the season as a whole.

#11 Posted by WTA2k5 (3997 posts) -

Without seeing The Master (why is it still not for rent on iTunes?) I'd say There Will Be Blood is his best, most original movie movie, though the characterization is a bit too simplistic for my tastes. Boogie Nights is probably my second favorite, and even though it's pretty derivative by comparison (owing a lot to Goodfellas and Pulp Fiction), it's got a much more humanist way of looking at its characters, which I prefer.

#12 Edited by mattbbpl (10805 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

Pdl was good

Solid A

Yeah but.... that darn harmonium! It's so ******* random and out of place, and then it's just gone!

I've only seen Punch Drunk Love and There Will Be Blood. I enjoyed Punch Drunk Love more, but they were both good. Neither one really blew me away, though.

#13 Edited by Samurai_Xavier (4364 posts) -

@Aljosa23:

@Aljosa23 said:

@Master_Live said:

@Aljosa23 said:

I need to see it again because it has been ages since I last watched it but I remember it not justifying its length well at all and that singing sequence was horrid and nearly ruined the film for me.

Lol, I thought that singing sequence was an inspired and bold piece of filmmaking, and also that ending. I can see it going wrong for a lot of people, but for me it worked completely, I think its a masterpiece.

Magnolia is my favorite PTA film.

#14 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28246 posts) -

Punch-Drunk Love
The Master
Magnolia
There Will Be Blood
Boogie Nights
Hard Eight

Everything he has done, save for Hard Eight, is great. Don't think there's another filmmaker working that makes me more excited for a new film.

#15 Edited by indzman (19367 posts) -

boogie nights , julianne moore , Heather Graham nude mmm

#16 Posted by Slashless (9514 posts) -

DID YOU THINK YOUR SONG AND DANCE AND YOUR SUPERSTITION WOULD HELP YOU ELI?

#17 Posted by BlackGenjii (256 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

I'm looking forward to Inherent Vice

Same here, cant wait to see what Anderson does with this one.

#18 Posted by BlackGenjii (256 posts) -

I love all of Andersons films, but my favorite would have to be There Will Be Blood.

Boogie Nights is probably my second favorite

By the way The Master was amazing... Paul Thomas Anderson is legendary.

Also, he's one of my top five favorite filmmakers of all time.

#19 Edited by lamprey263 (25024 posts) -

I voted for Punch Drunk Love, but it was a really close call with There Will Be Blood.

I have to say though I thought I saw them all, until I saw Hard Eight on the list.