WTF is wrong with polygamy?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LiftedHeadshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LiftedHeadshot
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts

Why is it illegal? How is it immoral? Why are we being governed by outdated Christian guidelines when there is supposed to be separation of church and state?

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
Because time travelers from years that consisted of 2 to 3 digits think they have to push their ancients definitions on everyone. Man and woman. That's cute, but f*ck you very much. Let everyone get married. This is 2012, motherf*cker.
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

What exactly is stopping you from being with multiple women?

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
From a legal standpoint I don't really think there's anything wrong with it. I just don't understand why one of the multiple wives (or husbands) in the relationship would want to be part of it.
Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Nothing. Honestly I fear marriage not for the commitment, settling down, or having kids but because I don't think I can love some chick for 20+ years, it's unnatural.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

From a legal standpoint I don't really think there's anything wrong with it. I just don't understand why one of the multiple wives (or husbands) in the relationship would want to be part of it. JML897
The group sex is **** amazing!

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

Because more often than not they turn into cases of abuse.

Google "Bountiful"

TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

It creates a sexual imbalance in socioty.

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

Another thoughtful OT topic.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts
Both subjugates women and historically has been used to marginalize younger guys in society.
Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#11 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

CHOASXIII
Can you feel the enlightenment flowing through you?
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
If it's good enough for God it should be good enough for America.
CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

[QUOTE="CHOASXIII"]

Wilfred_Owen

Can you feel the enlightenment flowing through you?

Oh yes.

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts

There are quite a few things wrong with it actually, that I can see.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Unequal representation of parties involved. Possible child sexual abuse. There are a lot of reasons to keep it regulated, especially around extremist LDS Mormons. As far as consenting adults go, there is nothing wrong with it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

It varies on a case by case basis, I suppose.

I have no problem with stuff like orgies.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Nothing. Honestly I fear marriage not for the commitment, settling down, or having kids but because I don't think I can love some chick for 20+ years, it's unnatural.

Jolt_counter119

I don't think it's unnatural at all. It may feel that way to you, but not to many people.

zeldaluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 zeldaluff
Member since 2008 • 3387 Posts

I'd be jealous as fvck, but if everyone involved is okay with it, whatever. Go for it.

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lo_Pine

I'd be jealous as fvck, but if everyone involved is okay with it, whatever. Go for it.

zeldaluff
I don't know if you're male or female, but female's would definitely get jealous of each other in a web-like relationship system like that. The legality of it would make no sense at all. For example, what if Jenny felt she gave more of herself and her time to the family and the man than Carol? If divorce proceedings ever go on in the family, then how do you split up the assets? Who gets more and why? Rather than having just one man and one woman where the divorce proceedings are fairly simple because things usually get split right down the middle. Woman gets half man gets half, regardless if the woman even made the money or not. Now if it's that complicated with just two people, think of what it would be like if you had 10+ women involved? It would be chaotic and ultimately, the man would be left with absolutely nothing in the end.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I see nothing wrong with it, but if I was to engage in that type of love life I would prefer to inform the other in the relatioship. Though personally, I know it's a double standard, I would allow my partner to do so.
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hartsickdiscipl

My take on it is this- If you can't be happy with one person, don't bother being in "relationships." You obviously have issues that need to be dealt with before involving yourself intimately with anyone else.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Because more often than not they turn into cases of abuse.

Google "Bountiful"

Nibroc420

Yup. It's historically gone hand in hand with misogyny and/or incest.

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts
Absolutely nothing.
MannyDelgado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MannyDelgado
Member since 2011 • 1187 Posts
HURR DURR EVERYONE WHO ISN'T LIKE ME HAS MENTAL PROBLEMShartsickdiscipl
lulz christf*gs gonna christf*g, i guess
zeldaluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 zeldaluff
Member since 2008 • 3387 Posts

[QUOTE="zeldaluff"]

lo_Pine

I don't know if you're male or female, but female's would definitely get jealous of each other in a web-like relationship system like that. The legality of it would make no sense at all. For example, what if Jenny felt she gave more of herself and her time to the family and the man than Carol? If divorce proceedings ever go on in the family, then how do you split up the assets? Who gets more and why? Rather than having just one man and one woman where the divorce proceedings are fairly simple because things usually get split right down the middle. Woman gets half man gets half, regardless if the woman even made the money or not. Now if it's that complicated with just two people, think of what it would be like if you had 10+ women involved? It would be chaotic and ultimately, the man would be left with absolutely nothing in the end.

Doesn't matter if I'm male or female, I wouldn't share in either case.

I wasn't thinking of the legal side at all though.I think for polygamy it would have to be a strict "you leave with what you came with" rule for divorce to work at all.

Communist_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Communist_Soul
Member since 2009 • 3080 Posts

Our culture says it's wrong therefore it is wrong.

tgwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tgwolf
Member since 2003 • 67 Posts

Why don't you ask women? They have as much right to a happy marriage as anyone, more in some cases. That's actually a solid consideration that should guide most of the decisions we make as men. If that's missing, you are really going wrong in ANY relationship, so long as legality is not crossed of course and with other obvious exceptions. They're outstanding people by and large and marriage was always meant to be an equality.

MannyDelgado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MannyDelgado
Member since 2011 • 1187 Posts

Why don't you ask women? They have as much right to a happy marriage as anyone, more in some cases. I think that consideration alone is a solid argument against it. They deserve the best in life.

tgwolf
I doubt that many people who think that polygamy should be legal think that polyandry shouldn't. Well, apart from dumb Muslims anyway.
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]HURR DURR EVERYONE WHO ISN'T LIKE ME HAS MENTAL PROBLEMSMannyDelgado
lulz christf*gs gonna christf*g, i guess

You can bash my input on the subject, but what I said isn't just my opinion. It's based on a discussion that I had with a professionally licensed relationship counselor that I see regularly. People have a tendency to think that they are "different," and can make up their own relationship rules and roles. The fact is that humans are set up to work best a certain way. You can't deny that the fewer people are involved in a "relationship," the less drama you are likely to have. The same is true for people who cheat on their significant others and think that it doesn't affect their relationship or their partner. It affects the way that they treat their partner, so of course it affects the whole relationship. Not to mention the utter lack of integrity which is shown, something which is inexcusable.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
I don't think there is anything wrong with, and being a Muslim its ok for me to marry up to 4 wives. BUT, on a personal level, I can see some benefits in it, but I'd much rather be with one and only one, I'm not fond of the idea.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

Why don't you try out polygamy for yourself and find out the answer.

IdioticIcarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 IdioticIcarus
Member since 2012 • 2167 Posts

I just don't get the point of polygamy. Why even get married at all? Or why not get married and then just have an open relationship? Maybe I'm just missing something (outside of religious reasons).

I don't personally see a problem with it, though, if it is what all parties involved want. I'd never be able to be a part of one, though.

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Deihjan
Member since 2008 • 30213 Posts
Well, would you honestly have more than one wife nagging you to mow the lawn, or two women saying they have a headache? Religion aside, I personally wouldn't want to be married to more than one person at the same time. It's the same reason I wouldn't date two people at the same time, it feels like it's cheating and it would be very time and money consuming...
Communist_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Communist_Soul
Member since 2009 • 3080 Posts

Come to think of it guys who support polygamy tend to forget about polyandry. How would you feel if your partner brought in another male?

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lo_Pine

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="zeldaluff"]

zeldaluff

Doesn't matter if I'm male or female, I wouldn't share in either case.

I wasn't thinking of the legal side at all though.I think for polygamy it would have to be a strict "you leave with what you came with" rule for divorce to work at all.

Leave polygamy out of my state, whatever the case. Go to Utah if you want to do that.
Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Deihjan
I don't think there is anything wrong with, and being a Muslim its ok for me to marry up to 4 wives. BUT, on a personal level, I can see some benefits in it, but I'd much rather be with one and only one, I'm not fond of the idea.GazaAli
Well, let me ask you something.. Would you, as a muslim man, have your wife/wives wear scarves or burkas? I honestly know very little on the subject of that, and I've always seen it as a way to, as ridiculous as it sounds, enslave your woman, because that's what the media tells me.. As a female, I'd want to be equal with my husband and the second, third or fourth wife, even if that would mean I was disrespecting the religion of my family. Guess it's because I grew up in a western society where religion was more of a morality guideline than it dictated what I could and could not wear of clothing, what I could and could not eat and drink, etc.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GazaAli
[QUOTE="Deihjan"]Well, would you honestly have more than one wife nagging you to mow the lawn, or two women saying they have a headache? Religion aside, I personally wouldn't want to be married to more than one person at the same time. It's the same reason I wouldn't date two people at the same time, it feels like it's cheating and it would be very time and money consuming...

Thats not how it works woman, its the man that is involved in several marriages. We can handle the stress and demands if it means more sex.
Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Deihjan

[QUOTE="Deihjan"]Well, would you honestly have more than one wife nagging you to mow the lawn, or two women saying they have a headache? Religion aside, I personally wouldn't want to be married to more than one person at the same time. It's the same reason I wouldn't date two people at the same time, it feels like it's cheating and it would be very time and money consuming...GazaAli
Thats not how it works woman, its the man that is involved in several marriages. We can handle the stress and demands if it means more sex.

Make me wear a collar and we can talk about submissive behaviour ;3

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GazaAli
[QUOTE="GazaAli"]I don't think there is anything wrong with, and being a Muslim its ok for me to marry up to 4 wives. BUT, on a personal level, I can see some benefits in it, but I'd much rather be with one and only one, I'm not fond of the idea.Deihjan
Well, let me ask you something.. Would you, as a muslim man, have your wife/wives wear scarves or burkas? I honestly know very little on the subject of that, and I've always seen it as a way to, as ridiculous as it sounds, enslave your woman, because that's what the media tells me.. As a female, I'd want to be equal with my husband and the second, third or fourth wife, even if that would mean I was disrespecting the religion of my family. Guess it's because I grew up in a western society where religion was more of a morality guideline than it dictated what I could and could not wear of clothing, what I could and could not eat and drink, etc.

I hate burqa with a passion actually. I would want my wife to wear a scarf but its not a deal breaker for me and I wouldn't force her to do it. Many people abuse things to their own liking, like in the context here forcing women to fit a profile that religion dictates and condones just to serve a psychological motive/gratification while at the same time as a man you do not adhere to the same code. Anything I demand from my wife I will perfect it first, hope you get the point.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GazaAli

[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="Deihjan"]Well, would you honestly have more than one wife nagging you to mow the lawn, or two women saying they have a headache? Religion aside, I personally wouldn't want to be married to more than one person at the same time. It's the same reason I wouldn't date two people at the same time, it feels like it's cheating and it would be very time and money consuming...Deihjan

OMG OMG OMG, SOLD!!!
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

there is nothing stopping you from having a relationship with 2 women, you can marry one and still have the other one also. Loop holes homie

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Deihjan
[QUOTE="Deihjan"][QUOTE="GazaAli"]I don't think there is anything wrong with, and being a Muslim its ok for me to marry up to 4 wives. BUT, on a personal level, I can see some benefits in it, but I'd much rather be with one and only one, I'm not fond of the idea.GazaAli

I hate burqa with a passion actually. I would want my wife to wear a scarf but its not a deal breaker for me and I wouldn't force her to do it. Many people abuse things to their own liking, like in the context here forcing women to fit a profile that religion dictates and condones just to serve a psychological motive/gratification while at the same time as a man you do not adhere to the same code. Anything I demand from my wife I will perfect it first, hope you get the point.

Yeah, I totally get what you're saying. The few really religious muslims I've spoken to wear scarves to honour their religion, which i'm totally fine with. I'd just feel awkward about it if they were forced by an abusive/bossy patriarchal figure in the family..
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#44 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="Deihjan"]Well, would you honestly have more than one wife nagging you to mow the lawn, or two women saying they have a headache? Religion aside, I personally wouldn't want to be married to more than one person at the same time. It's the same reason I wouldn't date two people at the same time, it feels like it's cheating and it would be very time and money consuming...Deihjan

Ha, ha, oh ewifey you so crazy.=3

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts
You can be with all the partners you want. It just can't be a legal contract and that makes sense. Benefits are obtained from society for such contracts.
Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts
If this becomes the issue we debate a decade after gay marriage is legalized, then I may retract my support for gay marriage.
GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
Well.. I think that if you REALLY want to burden yourself with so many wives, you're insane, so be my guest lol.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

great for men, terrible for women.

after all, who wants to have to pick up after more than one dude?

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Deihjan

mitu123
Crazy? Nah. Disturbed? Getting closer.. In-fukken-sane? Something like that.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#50 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

Deihjan

Crazy? Nah. Disturbed? Getting closer.. In-fukken-sane? Something like that.

Prove it to me then!