Would you vote for an atheist? (Now with POLL)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
If the US Presidential candidate for the party you would normally vote for were an atheist, would you still vote for them? I ask this because I recently found a report that found 52% of Americans wouldn't vote for a well-qualified atheist.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38662 Posts
sure
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
Is there some valid reason why I shouldn't?
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

Of course. God has no place in politics.

I should say: God should have no place in politics. Reality, unfortunately, follows different rules than ideal.

Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

User Lists: 1

#5 Junior_AIN
Member since 2007 • 4703 Posts
For me, that would be a big plus for the candidate....
deshields538

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 deshields538
Member since 2005 • 8699 Posts

If he can get the NHS back in the black then of course. I don't really care what a politician's beliefs are as long as they don't feature too heavily in his policies.

EDIT: I didn't realise this was for US president but my original statement still stands. :)

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34469 Posts

Of course. God has no place in politics.

I should say: God should have no place in politics. Reality, unfortunately, follows different rules than ideal.

Jandurin

I agree.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
Naturally; I wouldn't vote for an atheist for pope, but outside of that, I can't see where it would be relevant.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts

For me, that would be a big plus for the candidate....Junior_AIN

HaHa!! Me too. I would not be surprised to find out that religion has cost more lives than any other single unnatural cause in history. We are on course to continue the crusades, and I would like to derail this train that we're on.

dragon7x2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dragon7x2k
Member since 2007 • 3695 Posts
Its more important how well he promises he will lead a country than if he belives in Buda, Mahoma, God, The Colonel, the religion its far away from the policy (except for the vatican and the cow protection rules in India)
Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts
That fact would actually make me feel more confident in his abilities.
stepnkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 stepnkev
Member since 2005 • 1511 Posts

I always vote for whom I feel is the best person to lead this country. So the answer is: Yes.

hooperfax006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 hooperfax006
Member since 2007 • 1836 Posts
I would.
BobbyTurkalino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: -4

#14 BobbyTurkalino
Member since 2003 • 31460 Posts
Yeah, why not?
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts
What sort of atheist are we talking about here? Is it the kind who personally doesn't believe in a higher power and leaves it at that? Or is it the kind who go out of their way to mock those who do?
muff07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 muff07
Member since 2007 • 945 Posts
in the UK any priminister must not let god etc get involved in political polocies and he isnt aloud to actually be part of a church or be a registered member of any religion. its a system that works i personally would not vote for a dumba**(bush) or a christian because there believe have effect on there polocies.
kornholio360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kornholio360
Member since 2006 • 6973 Posts
Yes, I wouldn't mind voting for them at all.
guitboxdude25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 guitboxdude25
Member since 2006 • 2120 Posts

as i said in the other topic,no i wouldnt.in my encounters with athiest,most of them tend to be angry,negative,hopeless and waaaaaay to liberal.i know not all athiest are like that though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 85070537783
Member since 2005 • 1219 Posts
You should know better, you voted for a believer and...
hair001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hair001
Member since 2005 • 1202 Posts
[QUOTE="Bourbons3"] I ask this, as I recently found a report that found 52% of Americans wouldn't vote for a well-qualified atheist.

IF that is true then America is really lossing it right now
L_burna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 L_burna
Member since 2005 • 414 Posts

religion should, imo, not be a point by which to select a presidential candidate, UNLESS said religion might be interfering with his/her judgment or is sectaric in nature

PWN-Schubie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PWN-Schubie
Member since 2007 • 709 Posts
i would definatley vote for an athiest, i see it as a plus, god should have no dication over politics.
Mr_Manikin52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mr_Manikin52
Member since 2004 • 12300 Posts
No, but I would vote for a good Christian like Mike Huckabee.
hair001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hair001
No, but I would vote for a good Christian like Mike Huckabee.Mr_Manikin52
Why wouldn't you vote for an athiest?
redban2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 redban2
Member since 2006 • 496 Posts

I wouldn't even think about voting for an athiest.

Having no belief in God is a sign of deep confusion in my eyes. I'm not going to go into the reasoning for why that is, as that has to do with my personal beliefs.

People who have deep faith in religion have one thing in common. And that is they all are exemplary citizens. A person who believes in God would also seem to be more secure and morally-motivated. Religion does play a big part in a person's character. Which is why I'm not a believer in the "Religion should stay out of politics..." thing.

Another reason for not voting for an athiest is the the guilt feeling I'd get from doing so. I'd feel like I did the wrong thing in supporting someone like that.

greenprince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 greenprince
Member since 2006 • 3332 Posts
Depends, what are his/her goals for the country? If I agree with it then I'll vote for him/her, If I do not, then I'm not supporting him/her. To be honest I don't care if the person I'm voting for is an Gay Black Atheist aslong as he/she represents me and that I agree with is ideals for the country.
guitboxdude25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 guitboxdude25

People who have deep faith in religion have one thing in common. And that is they all are exemplary citizens. A person who believes in God would also seem to be more secure and morally-motivated.

redban2

bin laden deeply believes in his religion....:|

taz412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 taz412
Member since 2004 • 1585 Posts
Yes... separation of church and state, or at least that's the way it's suppose to be.
redban2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 redban2
[QUOTE="redban2"]

People who have deep faith in religion have one thing in common. And that is they all are exemplary citizens. A person who believes in God would also seem to be more secure and morally-motivated.

guitboxdude25

What I meant by my comment is someone who follows the moral ethics of their religion.

Bin Laden doesn't "deeply" follow his religion.

Bin Laden is Muslim, is he not? do you know what the guidelines are for that religion? Well, nonviolence is one of them.

hair001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hair001

I'm not a believer in the "Religion should stay out of politics..." thing.

redban2
Do you really want religion politicised? Politics will change religion too
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Yes, but it doesn't matter who you vote for.
hair001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hair001
[QUOTE="guitboxdude25"][QUOTE="redban2"]

redban2

Bin Laden is Muslim, is he not? do you know what the guidelines are for that religion? Well, nonviolence is one of them.

What I meant by my comment is someone who follows the moral ethics of his religion.

Actualy his cause can be jusified as he is fightng to spread his religion. In the Quarn (correct me if thats the wrong spelling) that's okay
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#33 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

[QUOTE="Junior_AIN"]For me, that would be a big plus for the candidate....Engrish_Major

HaHa!! Me too. I would not be surprised to find out that religion has cost more lives than any other single unnatural cause in history. We are on course to continue the crusades, and I would like to derail this train that we're on.

Most Atheists are too liberal for me, but if i found a moderate Atheist, then i'd be all for voting for that person.
Donkey_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Donkey_Puncher
Member since 2005 • 5083 Posts

Having no belief in God is a sign of deep confusion in my eyes. I'm not going to go into the reasoning for why that is, as that has to do with my personal beliefs.

People who have deep faith in religion have one thing in common. And that is they all are exemplary citizens. A person who believes in God would also seem to be more secure and morally-motivated. Religion does play a big part in a person's character. Which is why I'm not a believer in the "Religion should stay out of politics..." thing.

Another reason for not voting for an athiest is the the guilt feeling I'd get from doing so. I'd feel like I did the wrong thing in supporting someone like that.

redban2

Sorry us non-believers aren't exemplary citizens with out a stitch of moral intregrity in our bodies.

It's people like you, who act and believe such henous things that's keeping us back.

A person's religious beliefs shouldn't determine their ability to run and govern a nation. After all, it's our duty to legislate and protects rights, not one's petty view on morality.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Engrish_Major

redban2

What I meant by my comment is someone who follows the moral ethics of their religion.

If we had a president that did not believe in heaven, he would not be so quick to send all of our troops there.

guitboxdude25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 guitboxdude25

redban2

the thing is,theres allways some joker that takes there religion way to seriously and way out of context,extremist and bible beaters.

i understand what your saying tho.if a person has good morals and ethics(wether they are religious or not)they are a good canidate,its just that not everyone who follows there religion passionatley is a good person.i think you were trying to say something else though,it just sounded that way.

redban2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 redban2
[QUOTE="redban2"]

hair001

Not entirely. I'm not saying drastically incorparate relgion into politics. But at least show some acknowledgement to God in general in it (Notice I say God, not Jesus, Allah, or Shiva).

Because last I checked there were actually people uproaring about the US bill having the words "In God we trust", and the pledge saying "...Indivisible, UNDER GOD" . Why the uproar? Because they say religion should have zero part in politics. That, to me, is so stupid and annoying.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
[QUOTE="redban2"]

Donkey_Puncher

Sorry us non-believers aren't exemplary citizens with out a stitch of moral intregrity in our bodies.

It's people like you, who act and believe such henous things that's keeping us back.

A person's religious beliefs shouldn't determine their ability to run and govern a nation. After all, it's our duty to legislate and protects rights, not one's petty view on morality.

Yup exemplary citizens :lol: That's why Bush has no problem going to sleep at night knowing all the suffering and death he has caused for greed.
guitboxdude25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 guitboxdude25
[QUOTE="redban2"][QUOTE="guitboxdude25"][QUOTE="redban2"]

Engrish_Major

If we had a president that did not believe in heaven, he would not be so quick to send all of our troops there.

uhh that makes no sense.george bush isnt trying to send our troops the heaven,and nor is he doing a good job at it....hes just an idiot.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Engrish_Major
[QUOTE="hair001"][QUOTE="redban2"]

redban2

Not entirely. I'm not saying drastically incorparate relgion into politics. But at least show some acknowledgement to God in general in it (Notice I say God, not Jesus, Allah, or Shiva).

Because last I checked there were actually people uproaring about the US bill having the words "In God we trust", and the pledge saying "...Indivisible, UNDER GOD" . Why the uproar? Because they say religion should have zero part in politics. That, to me, is so stupid and annoying.

Why? Why can't we just preach to be a good person? Why does our leader have to believe that a 2000 year old book is fact?

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#41 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

redban2
Voting for a Atheist wont send you to hell. You are just picking a person that you think would lead your country the best, and if that person happens to not be a Christian, oh well. It is not like YOU are choosing to become an Atheist.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#42 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Yeah. It's too bad that people in power abuse it then blame those without for letting them do things with it (Separation of Church & State. Same 'ol same 'ol).
--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts
Sure.
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

redban2
I assume you would argue that folks like Seantor Larry Craig and preachers Ted Haggard and Jim Bakker do not have deep faith in their religion? If so, your argument is vacuous, since we can only determine the depth of their faith by observing their behavior. You are saying "People who are faithful are responsible/good citizens. People who claim faith but are not good/responsible citizens don't really have faith." But that means that an individual's faith as they report it has no bearing at all on their citizenship. I don't see the correlation between good citizenship and religious affiliation, personally.
guitboxdude25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 guitboxdude25
[QUOTE="Donkey_Puncher"][QUOTE="redban2"]

X360PS3AMD05

Yup exemplary citizens :lol: That's why Bush has no problem going to sleep at night knowing all the suffering and death he has caused for greed.

george bush = stupid ignorant hick
george bush =/= antichrist.

and petty morality?morality is what we need?morality has nothing to do with religion.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Engrish_Major
Our president is supposed to abide and govern by the US Constitution (200 years old and updated continuously). Our current president governs by the bible (2000 years old) and tries to ignore the constitution. Which is better?
Blu_Falcon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Blu_Falcon37
Member since 2006 • 4041 Posts

Yep, probably would be better than a religious person

hair001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hair001
[QUOTE="hair001"][QUOTE="redban2"]

redban2

Why is it stupid? Do you think that all non-thocratic goverments are stupid?
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

redban2

So, those Catholic Priests that did stuff with little boys...they're great citizens?

An Atheist running for President would make my view of him/her a little more favorable, but that's it. I wouldn't vote for them just because they're atheist -- but if they also have good ideas, I'd vote for 'em in a heartbeat. I don't even know exactly what religion the current candidates are -- I assume they're mostly Protestant, but I really don't know; and I don't care. It shouldn't be an issue.

redban2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 redban2

So, those Catholic Priests that did stuff with little boys...they're great citizens?

JML897

If a priest molested a toddler, then do they do they really have deep faith in their religion? No, there're in disguise..just a masquerade . Those priests do not have true faith in their religion.