Would you vote for an atheist? (Now with POLL)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Bourbons3 (24248 posts) -
If the US Presidential candidate for the party you would normally vote for were an atheist, would you still vote for them? I ask this because I recently found a report that found 52% of Americans wouldn't vote for a well-qualified atheist.
#2 Posted by comp_atkins (31475 posts) -
sure
#3 Posted by megagene (23015 posts) -
Is there some valid reason why I shouldn't?
#4 Posted by Jandurin (95544 posts) -

Of course. God has no place in politics.

I should say: God should have no place in politics. Reality, unfortunately, follows different rules than ideal.

#5 Posted by Junior_AIN (4555 posts) -
For me, that would be a big plus for the candidate....
#6 Posted by deshields538 (8699 posts) -

If he can get the NHS back in the black then of course. I don't really care what a politician's beliefs are as long as they don't feature too heavily in his policies.

EDIT: I didn't realise this was for US president but my original statement still stands. :)

#7 Posted by Litchie (16380 posts) -

Of course. God has no place in politics.

I should say: God should have no place in politics. Reality, unfortunately, follows different rules than ideal.

Jandurin

I agree.

#8 Posted by 194197844077667059316682358889 (49173 posts) -
Naturally; I wouldn't vote for an atheist for pope, but outside of that, I can't see where it would be relevant.
#9 Posted by Engrish_Major (17368 posts) -

For me, that would be a big plus for the candidate....Junior_AIN

HaHa!! Me too. I would not be surprised to find out that religion has cost more lives than any other single unnatural cause in history. We are on course to continue the crusades, and I would like to derail this train that we're on.

#10 Posted by dragon7x2k (3695 posts) -
Its more important how well he promises he will lead a country than if he belives in Buda, Mahoma, God, The Colonel, the religion its far away from the policy (except for the vatican and the cow protection rules in India)
#11 Posted by Lord_Daemon (24273 posts) -
That fact would actually make me feel more confident in his abilities.
#12 Posted by stepnkev (1511 posts) -

I always vote for whom I feel is the best person to lead this country. So the answer is: Yes.

#13 Posted by hooperfax006 (1836 posts) -
I would.
#14 Posted by HillyBilly (31446 posts) -
Yeah, why not?
#15 Posted by Oleg_Huzwog (21885 posts) -
What sort of atheist are we talking about here? Is it the kind who personally doesn't believe in a higher power and leaves it at that? Or is it the kind who go out of their way to mock those who do?
#16 Posted by muff07 (945 posts) -
in the UK any priminister must not let god etc get involved in political polocies and he isnt aloud to actually be part of a church or be a registered member of any religion. its a system that works i personally would not vote for a dumba**(bush) or a christian because there believe have effect on there polocies.
#17 Posted by kornholio360 (6973 posts) -
Yes, I wouldn't mind voting for them at all.
#18 Posted by guitboxdude25 (2120 posts) -

as i said in the other topic,no i wouldnt.in my encounters with athiest,most of them tend to be angry,negative,hopeless and waaaaaay to liberal.i know not all athiest are like that though.

#19 Posted by 85070537783 (1219 posts) -
You should know better, you voted for a believer and...
#20 Posted by hair001 (1202 posts) -
[QUOTE="Bourbons3"] I ask this, as I recently found a report that found 52% of Americans wouldn't vote for a well-qualified atheist.

IF that is true then America is really lossing it right now
#21 Posted by L_burna (414 posts) -

religion should, imo, not be a point by which to select a presidential candidate, UNLESS said religion might be interfering with his/her judgment or is sectaric in nature

#22 Posted by PWN-Schubie (709 posts) -
i would definatley vote for an athiest, i see it as a plus, god should have no dication over politics.
#23 Posted by Mr_Manikin52 (12300 posts) -
No, but I would vote for a good Christian like Mike Huckabee.
#24 Posted by hair001 (1202 posts) -
No, but I would vote for a good Christian like Mike Huckabee.Mr_Manikin52
Why wouldn't you vote for an athiest?
#25 Posted by redban2 (496 posts) -

I wouldn't even think about voting for an athiest.

Having no belief in God is a sign of deep confusion in my eyes. I'm not going to go into the reasoning for why that is, as that has to do with my personal beliefs.

People who have deep faith in religion have one thing in common. And that is they all are exemplary citizens. A person who believes in God would also seem to be more secure and morally-motivated. Religion does play a big part in a person's character. Which is why I'm not a believer in the "Religion should stay out of politics..." thing.

Another reason for not voting for an athiest is the the guilt feeling I'd get from doing so. I'd feel like I did the wrong thing in supporting someone like that.

#26 Posted by greenprince (3332 posts) -
Depends, what are his/her goals for the country? If I agree with it then I'll vote for him/her, If I do not, then I'm not supporting him/her. To be honest I don't care if the person I'm voting for is an Gay Black Atheist aslong as he/she represents me and that I agree with is ideals for the country.
#27 Posted by guitboxdude25 (2120 posts) -

People who have deep faith in religion have one thing in common. And that is they all are exemplary citizens. A person who believes in God would also seem to be more secure and morally-motivated.

redban2

bin laden deeply believes in his religion....:|

#28 Posted by taz412 (1585 posts) -
Yes... separation of church and state, or at least that's the way it's suppose to be.
#29 Posted by redban2 (496 posts) -
[QUOTE="redban2"]

People who have deep faith in religion have one thing in common. And that is they all are exemplary citizens. A person who believes in God would also seem to be more secure and morally-motivated.

guitboxdude25

What I meant by my comment is someone who follows the moral ethics of their religion.

Bin Laden doesn't "deeply" follow his religion.

Bin Laden is Muslim, is he not? do you know what the guidelines are for that religion? Well, nonviolence is one of them.

#30 Posted by hair001 (1202 posts) -

I'm not a believer in the "Religion should stay out of politics..." thing.

redban2
Do you really want religion politicised? Politics will change religion too
#31 Posted by X360PS3AMD05 (36298 posts) -
Yes, but it doesn't matter who you vote for.
#32 Posted by hair001 (1202 posts) -
[QUOTE="guitboxdude25"][QUOTE="redban2"]

redban2

Bin Laden is Muslim, is he not? do you know what the guidelines are for that religion? Well, nonviolence is one of them.

What I meant by my comment is someone who follows the moral ethics of his religion.

Actualy his cause can be jusified as he is fightng to spread his religion. In the Quarn (correct me if thats the wrong spelling) that's okay
#33 Posted by helium_flash (9245 posts) -

[QUOTE="Junior_AIN"]For me, that would be a big plus for the candidate....Engrish_Major

HaHa!! Me too. I would not be surprised to find out that religion has cost more lives than any other single unnatural cause in history. We are on course to continue the crusades, and I would like to derail this train that we're on.

Most Atheists are too liberal for me, but if i found a moderate Atheist, then i'd be all for voting for that person.
#34 Posted by Donkey_Puncher (5083 posts) -

Having no belief in God is a sign of deep confusion in my eyes. I'm not going to go into the reasoning for why that is, as that has to do with my personal beliefs.

People who have deep faith in religion have one thing in common. And that is they all are exemplary citizens. A person who believes in God would also seem to be more secure and morally-motivated. Religion does play a big part in a person's character. Which is why I'm not a believer in the "Religion should stay out of politics..." thing.

Another reason for not voting for an athiest is the the guilt feeling I'd get from doing so. I'd feel like I did the wrong thing in supporting someone like that.

redban2

Sorry us non-believers aren't exemplary citizens with out a stitch of moral intregrity in our bodies.

It's people like you, who act and believe such henous things that's keeping us back.

A person's religious beliefs shouldn't determine their ability to run and govern a nation. After all, it's our duty to legislate and protects rights, not one's petty view on morality.

#35 Posted by Engrish_Major (17368 posts) -

redban2

What I meant by my comment is someone who follows the moral ethics of their religion.

If we had a president that did not believe in heaven, he would not be so quick to send all of our troops there.

#36 Posted by guitboxdude25 (2120 posts) -

redban2

the thing is,theres allways some joker that takes there religion way to seriously and way out of context,extremist and bible beaters.

i understand what your saying tho.if a person has good morals and ethics(wether they are religious or not)they are a good canidate,its just that not everyone who follows there religion passionatley is a good person.i think you were trying to say something else though,it just sounded that way.

#37 Posted by redban2 (496 posts) -
[QUOTE="redban2"]

hair001

Not entirely. I'm not saying drastically incorparate relgion into politics. But at least show some acknowledgement to God in general in it (Notice I say God, not Jesus, Allah, or Shiva).

Because last I checked there were actually people uproaring about the US bill having the words "In God we trust", and the pledge saying "...Indivisible, UNDER GOD" . Why the uproar? Because they say religion should have zero part in politics. That, to me, is so stupid and annoying.

#38 Posted by X360PS3AMD05 (36298 posts) -
[QUOTE="redban2"]

Donkey_Puncher

Sorry us non-believers aren't exemplary citizens with out a stitch of moral intregrity in our bodies.

It's people like you, who act and believe such henous things that's keeping us back.

A person's religious beliefs shouldn't determine their ability to run and govern a nation. After all, it's our duty to legislate and protects rights, not one's petty view on morality.

Yup exemplary citizens :lol: That's why Bush has no problem going to sleep at night knowing all the suffering and death he has caused for greed.
#39 Posted by guitboxdude25 (2120 posts) -
[QUOTE="redban2"][QUOTE="guitboxdude25"][QUOTE="redban2"]

Engrish_Major

If we had a president that did not believe in heaven, he would not be so quick to send all of our troops there.

uhh that makes no sense.george bush isnt trying to send our troops the heaven,and nor is he doing a good job at it....hes just an idiot.

#40 Posted by Engrish_Major (17368 posts) -
[QUOTE="hair001"][QUOTE="redban2"]

redban2

Not entirely. I'm not saying drastically incorparate relgion into politics. But at least show some acknowledgement to God in general in it (Notice I say God, not Jesus, Allah, or Shiva).

Because last I checked there were actually people uproaring about the US bill having the words "In God we trust", and the pledge saying "...Indivisible, UNDER GOD" . Why the uproar? Because they say religion should have zero part in politics. That, to me, is so stupid and annoying.

Why? Why can't we just preach to be a good person? Why does our leader have to believe that a 2000 year old book is fact?

#41 Posted by helium_flash (9245 posts) -

redban2
Voting for a Atheist wont send you to hell. You are just picking a person that you think would lead your country the best, and if that person happens to not be a Christian, oh well. It is not like YOU are choosing to become an Atheist.
#42 Posted by BranKetra (48757 posts) -
Yeah. It's too bad that people in power abuse it then blame those without for letting them do things with it (Separation of Church & State. Same 'ol same 'ol).
#43 Posted by --Anna-- (4493 posts) -
Sure.
#44 Posted by 194197844077667059316682358889 (49173 posts) -

redban2
I assume you would argue that folks like Seantor Larry Craig and preachers Ted Haggard and Jim Bakker do not have deep faith in their religion? If so, your argument is vacuous, since we can only determine the depth of their faith by observing their behavior. You are saying "People who are faithful are responsible/good citizens. People who claim faith but are not good/responsible citizens don't really have faith." But that means that an individual's faith as they report it has no bearing at all on their citizenship. I don't see the correlation between good citizenship and religious affiliation, personally.
#45 Posted by guitboxdude25 (2120 posts) -
[QUOTE="Donkey_Puncher"][QUOTE="redban2"]

X360PS3AMD05

Yup exemplary citizens :lol: That's why Bush has no problem going to sleep at night knowing all the suffering and death he has caused for greed.

george bush = stupid ignorant hick
george bush =/= antichrist.

and petty morality?morality is what we need?morality has nothing to do with religion.

#46 Posted by Engrish_Major (17368 posts) -
Our president is supposed to abide and govern by the US Constitution (200 years old and updated continuously). Our current president governs by the bible (2000 years old) and tries to ignore the constitution. Which is better?
#47 Posted by Blu_Falcon37 (4041 posts) -

Yep, probably would be better than a religious person

#48 Posted by hair001 (1202 posts) -
[QUOTE="hair001"][QUOTE="redban2"]

redban2

Why is it stupid? Do you think that all non-thocratic goverments are stupid?
#49 Posted by JML897 (33125 posts) -

redban2

So, those Catholic Priests that did stuff with little boys...they're great citizens?

An Atheist running for President would make my view of him/her a little more favorable, but that's it. I wouldn't vote for them just because they're atheist -- but if they also have good ideas, I'd vote for 'em in a heartbeat. I don't even know exactly what religion the current candidates are -- I assume they're mostly Protestant, but I really don't know; and I don't care. It shouldn't be an issue.

#50 Posted by redban2 (496 posts) -

So, those Catholic Priests that did stuff with little boys...they're great citizens?

JML897

If a priest molested a toddler, then do they do they really have deep faith in their religion? No, there're in disguise..just a masquerade . Those priests do not have true faith in their religion.