Would you take a low end job if you have a degree?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LegitGamer3212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LegitGamer3212
Member since 2008 • 1619 Posts

Obama just hit a new low in terms of the economy
Link

I'm graduating in a month from a private college. I'll have a 2.9 or 3.0 GPA and my college is average. I'm getting a B.S degree in business administration and criminal justice. If you have a degree, would you take a low end job such as fast food? If not, what does this "better" job must have? better pay, in an office, etc.

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
You might not have much choice...
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#3 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

fast food? no way. I know i can do better then that.

Even if it's not an entry level engineering job, i know i can get SOME type of decent job, even if it's on the lower end. At least for the time being.

Very nearly ended up working in a iron foundry as a safety person in Wisconsin. That was before other plans came up.

MetallicaKings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 MetallicaKings
Member since 2004 • 4781 Posts
without even a high school degree you can get a 12$ an hour gig fairly easy. Work as a host/foodrunner at a nice restaurant. Work at Bed Bath and Beyond, etc etc. People who work at fast food joints are usually new to the english language, or have some kind of criminal background.
CammiTac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CammiTac
Member since 2011 • 1179 Posts

If I had to, yes. But I would think of it as temporary while I look for a better job.

LordsLoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LordsLoss
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts
You will get a good job with those degrees. If you can't find one over there, then come down to Louisiana. There are plenty of them available down here.
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#7 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

without even a high school degree you can get a 12$ an hour gig fairly easy. Work as a host/foodrunner at a nice restaurant. Work at Bed Bath and Beyond, etc etc. People who work at fast food joints are usually new to the english language, or have some kind of criminal background.MetallicaKings

Where do you live and what's the fastest way to get there?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Bills don't pay themselves. I wouldn't stick my nose up at any job if that is all I can find. I would do it to the best of my ability. Just because I have a degree doesn't make me "too good" to work for my money. Shortly after graduating, I got a job in security, a field entirely unrelated to my study focus... and I am enjoying it. Granted, there isn't much career growth for a "mall cop" and the pay sucks, but this experience can get me into other, higher-level jobs in the private security sector... and in time, I could be a manager or own my own company. And the thing is... in this current economic situation, having a job in a field where there will always be a requirement for workers is a good thing. Getting out into the real world has shown me that it isn't about finding something to be passionate about and trying to achieve unrealistic dreams and fantasies... it is about being able to do anything passionately, and get rewarded by a hard-days work.
3eyedrazorback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#9 3eyedrazorback
Member since 2005 • 16380 Posts
At this point, this is something I'm becoming more and more afraid of. I pretty much have to get a master's unless I want a low end paying job with the degree I'm getting...BA in Communication isn't exactly prestigious.
MetallicaKings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MetallicaKings
Member since 2004 • 4781 Posts

[QUOTE="MetallicaKings"]without even a high school degree you can get a 12$ an hour gig fairly easy. Work as a host/foodrunner at a nice restaurant. Work at Bed Bath and Beyond, etc etc. People who work at fast food joints are usually new to the english language, or have some kind of criminal background.THE_DRUGGIE

America.
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#11 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

[QUOTE="MetallicaKings"]without even a high school degree you can get a 12$ an hour gig fairly easy. Work as a host/foodrunner at a nice restaurant. Work at Bed Bath and Beyond, etc etc. People who work at fast food joints are usually new to the english language, or have some kind of criminal background.MetallicaKings

America.

Is that part of the United States?

I wouldn't want to travel outside the country.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

Meh I worked in fast food for five years, and now that I have a degree I would probably go back until I can get a job in my field. I wouldn't turn my nose up at it now.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#13 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
By "low-end job", it would mean a tier 3 or lower company, and I'd only work part-time or as an intern there while I'm finishing my degree for the sake of job experience.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

no such thing as a "low end job" its a JOB, but when i get my degree and i can't find work in my field i have no probs with working at whatever jobs comes my way.

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts
I have a diploma but I prefers a welfare ,caring boss.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Obama just hit a new low in terms of the economy
Link

I'm graduating in a month from a private college. I'll have a 2.9 or 3.0 GPA and my college is average. I'm getting a B.S degree in business administration and criminal justice. If you have a degree, would you take a low end job such as fast food? If not, what does this "better" job must have? better pay, in an office, etc.

LegitGamer3212

Degree or not, most people are going to take the best that they can get.

So if it comes down to a choice between working at McDonalds or living in a dumpster, you'd better believe that anyone (graduate or not) with an ounce of sense would choose to take the job.

zeldaluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 zeldaluff
Member since 2008 • 3387 Posts

A job is a job, and money doesn't just materialize out of thin air. If I really needed to, I'd work at a fast food joint to get by.

Although I do know this one lady that can't get even the lowest of the low jobs anywhere because she's overqualified.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

Sure - I'm not precious about what I do. It may not be a long term career move, but if it pays the bills then sure...

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

It really depends on what type of low end job. I worked in the fast food industry when I was a teen and I didn't like it one bit. I'd try to get any other job except for that.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
After having to work commission for the first time this summer, I can't say I want to go back. I am going into my fifth year (victory lap FTW!) at my school and the last year got hectic, I lost motivation, and I pretty much bombed/wasted my past two semesters. But after realizing what kind of world I'll have to deal with without a degree, I think I found a new sense of ambition and I am hoping for a good school year.
Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
I'd take it if I knew for sure it'd be temporary and brief.
XeroEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

#22 XeroEX
Member since 2008 • 495 Posts

I would take it as a temporary job while I search for better ones. Beats doing nothing.

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

Uh... you may have no choice. When I was in school they said roughly 70% of college graduates don't find a job in their field of study. Of course the percentage is so high simply because a large percentage of people that go to college go to just go and major is something of no use job wise. Unemployment ishigh and a college has been the new high school diploma for about ten years. So chances are most people who can find a job will be working a low end job.

bewarethehorns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 bewarethehorns
Member since 2004 • 95 Posts

I know plenty of people with college degrees working two part-time jobs outside their fields right now and most are lucky to clear more than $8 an hour. Especially in Michigan, you take what you can get or you get out of the state. The clear exception seems to be the medical field where places are having a hard time finding qualified workers.

I actually dropped out of college in '08 because I got a solid job offer. There isn't a whole lot of opportunity in some places, you have to take what you can get. I was a lucky exception to that.

Moxie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Moxie7
Member since 2011 • 88 Posts

I got a degree in a field that every advisor said would guarantee a position immediately after graduation. I joined a bunch of professional organizations, did some extra internships, and graduated cum laude.

It's been two years, a couple hundred applications later, and I never got so much as an interview in that field. I ended up in retail, and my last job was as a secretary.

I graduated with someone that had pretty much the same degree you do with a sub-3.0 GPA, and I think he ended up working as a roofer.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
By this point I would be overqualified for any low end jobs in the first place. They wouldn't want to take me.
Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Planet_Pluto
Member since 2011 • 2235 Posts

I got a degree in a field that every advisor said would guarantee a position immediately after graduation. I joined a bunch of professional organizations, did some extra internships, and graduated cum laude.

It's been two years, a couple hundred applications later, and I never got so much as an interview in that field. I ended up in retail, and my last job was as a secretary.

I graduated with someone that had pretty much the same degree you do with a sub-3.0 GPA, and I think he ended up working as a roofer.

Moxie7

Just curious, you got a degree in what field?

punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

ah this reminds me of my country's situation, if you want high pay job your gonna compete with those fake certificit foreigners or get low pay job and work to death to pay the bills.

CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

Not a low end job because I have a good set of bar skills, engineering skills and wine waiting skills already. I decided to ditch photography because self employment is pretty much the best thing to do as a photographer. So I'm working and getting a house with the gf next month hopefully, just waiting on guarantor's credit check!

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

In this day and age you really can't afford to be picky when it comes to employment. When I was a little kid my folks drove into me that if I wanted to be successful I needed to go to college and after college I was guaranteed a good job. Now, college isn't enough nowadays. Not too long ago I talked to a guy with a bachelors who was working at Target unloading trucks. He eventually decided to enlist into the Army since he was having a hard time getting the bills paid and had leftover student loans he wanted paid off. That, and his credit sucked.

The really bad thing about having a degree but no jobs in your career field is that your average employer doesn't wantto hire somebody who is overqualified. Their theory is that you will only stay until a better job comes up since you have your degree and you're just doing something to get paid right now. This is versus the guy with just a GED who doesn't have too many job options in front of them. Or the guy with the criminal record that's not bad enough to avoid altogether but still bad enough thatt most higher jobs wont give a second look.

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

If I couldn't find a job in my field I would. at least until an opening came avaliable for me. Cause student loans don't pay themselves off.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38685 Posts
if i had no options, of course i would take a lesser paying job.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
Member since 2005 • 6976 Posts

I'm only a HS graduate. But yes, I would. Atleast while I was loking for something better.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

i'm never going to work in fast food, degree or not.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#35 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Anything is better than being unemployed. Sitting on unemployment for to long, or living with your folks with a college degree does not look good when applying for better positions in other companies.

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

I don't think I would work for less than about $12 an hour, because one truly can't build any wealth on such a wage, regardless of how hard they try. It would basically be spinning my wheels.

I'd honestly just try to live off of the generosity of my parents and get very serious about my musicianship. At least I'd be developing something and moving forward in some small way.

BLKR4330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BLKR4330
Member since 2006 • 1698 Posts

Anything is better than being unemployed. Sitting on unemployment for to long, or living with your folks with a college degree does not look good when applying for better positions in other companies.

Wasdie

i agree with this. i have a fairly decent job now but in the years after i graduated i've done all sorts of crappy jobs ranging from collecting garbage to call center jobs. it never felt degrading and none of those had a negative influence on who i am today.