Would you rather not have contact with aleins?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by uninspiredcup (19500 posts) -

When we think of aliens of higher life, most of the time we think of ET, or encounters of the third kind rather than something like (for example) Independence Day or War Of The Worlds in which the aliens are like a set of Locus wiping out planets for resources.

The universe is a massive, massive place with us not even being a grain of sand on the side of a beach.

Do you think the alien life that exists are more likely to be intelligent, sociable and friendly or a bunch of bastards who would just view us as a piece of shit?

Imagine if the Nazi's won the war and the future we are in now, was them and not the allies with warped value. That shit could happen on other planets, yes?

#2 Edited by Master_Live (18177 posts) -

Well, If possible, I would advise first doing reconnaissance missions to gather information before making contact.

#3 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26735 posts) -

Contact in which way?

I honestly would not worry about aliens visiting Earth. I for one strongly believe that an alien race would never actually make contact unless it was peaceful.

As for us making contact with an alien race on another planet, it would have to be well planned out of course, but it would be interesting what we could learn.

#4 Posted by thehig1 (5179 posts) -

I think they would not bother, like getting out of your car to look at an ant colony. Chances are your not interested enough to stop.

#5 Posted by commander (11610 posts) -

It's bad enough already coming into contact with other cultures,

don't even want to think about effin aliens

#6 Edited by indzman (23839 posts) -

I don't mind coming in any type of contact specially physical contact with :

#7 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26735 posts) -

@indzman said:

Creepy threads, now creepy posts.

#8 Edited by indzman (23839 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas said:

@indzman said:

Creepy threads, now creepy posts.

Okay , enough. Don't try to act smart all the time.

#9 Posted by megagene (23132 posts) -

I'd love to make contact with aliens. The first thing I'd say to them would be, "ayy lmao".

#10 Posted by iwilson1296 (2228 posts) -

depends on the alien, if it's like a xenomorph or predator then hell no, but if it's like the one from Mac and Me then sure

#11 Posted by playmynutz (6867 posts) -

Their will be an artificial invasion meaning us humans will fake an alien contact before real aliens come

#12 Edited by Treflis (12911 posts) -

Depends on the aliens, if it's organisms or smaller critters on other planets then I wouldn't mind.

More evolved then us and we probably shouldn't let them know we're here.

#13 Posted by GTR12 (11417 posts) -

US customs thinks aliens are people from other countries, so being classed as an alien once already, I wouldn't mind.

#14 Posted by R3FURBISHED (11366 posts) -

I think humanity will find some sort of otherworldly life form in my lifetime (24 now), granted no intelligent life but extraterrestrial life nonetheless.

#15 Posted by lamprey263 (32106 posts) -

I don't buy the aliens would come to our planets for resources bit, the universe is full of resources, and if they have the technology to transverse the universe then I'm sure they can mine in space for resources.

#16 Edited by PS2fweak (1066 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Do you think the alien life that exists are more likely to be intelligent, sociable and friendly or a bunch of bastards who would just view us as a piece of shit?

Imagine if the Nazi's won the war and the future we are in now, was them and not the allies with warped value. That shit could happen on other planets, yes?

Just think about how long it took us to get here from single celled organisms. At any point on that timeline, we would be considered extraterrestrial life to a sentient alien. Or what about a few billion years into the future if we're still around and on this planet? The point I'm making is there's no "more likely to be". If life started somewhere else in the universe, it would be fair to say all stages of life are existing somewhere out there in various areas of the universe.

The Nazis winning the war is an interesting example, but I imagine an alien, which is advanced enough to reach us, probably would be passed that type of existence. It just never seems to work well on our own planet. You're intelligent enough to travel through the stars, but the inhabitants as individuals aren't able to or don't care enough to revolt? Regimes like that never properly benefit the people who are under it's control. It's always possible, but dictatorships don't seem like next level intelligence, based on our own dumb history.

The thing I always think about is how augmenting our own biology with technology will alter our existence as a species. I would assume a species capable of reaching us would've already gotten to that point and probably perfected it. How would that affect how we think and/or behave. Lifespan, strength & agility, appearance, and intelligence are all obvious things to tackle, but what about other aspects of our minds? Do we get to a point where we get rid of fear? Do we need it if we can easily handle every conceivable situation that would normally give us that feeling? Should we destroy the part of us that deals with pain, or the pain of others? Stuff gets creepy when we start thinking of our brains as computers and our thoughts/memories as files within different folders. We all may become super strong, geniuses who choose not to care about aspects of life we consider negative.

I always think of that as a potentially scary scenario if an intelligent alien is like that.

#17 Posted by -Blasphemy- (3344 posts) -

If they were to come into contact with us more then likely they would be more intelligent then us if they are able to visit us and we not them.

#19 Posted by BranKetra (51720 posts) -

You spelled "aliens" wrong in your topic title.

On-topic: There is a myriad of possibilities for alien life. I find it very interesting that we as a species have no widely accepted record of any contact from another race. Considering the billions of stars in our galaxy alone, the earth being the only heavenly body with life is unlikely. I sincerely hope any neighbors we may be co-existing with become our allies.

#20 Posted by indzman (23839 posts) -

@geniobastardo said:

@indzman said:

yeeeaaaa..........nooo.

Hey ... thats my 'waifu' =P

#22 Edited by indzman (23839 posts) -

@geniobastardo said:

@indzman said:

@geniobastardo said:

@indzman said:

yeeeaaaa..........nooo.

Hey ... thats my 'waifu' =P

so hardcore.... #youvegotshittastesinwaifus

>>

#23 Posted by uninspiredcup (19500 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

The care level is very high.

#24 Posted by BranKetra (51720 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@BranKetra said:

Obviously not if you will refuse to even engage me with "my care level.." etc. rather than the impersonal "the." Have a nice day.

#25 Posted by uninspiredcup (19500 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@BranKetra said:

Obviously not if you will refuse to even engage me with "my care level.." etc. rather than the impersonal "the." Have a nice day.

yes.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
#26 Posted by ShepardCommandr (4067 posts) -

Well if they are anything like humans then i don't want to meet them.

#27 Posted by tocool340 (20875 posts) -

If they are out for world domination and can't be reasoned with then I'd rather not...

#28 Edited by Korvus (10144 posts) -

What's with all the douchebaggery in this thread? Are you all in a bad mood today or what? Relax dudes =P

Anyway, aliens...let them come =D (not that we could stop them anyway =P)