would you rather live in the future or the past?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by JustSignedUp (1148 posts) -

Future:

Humans living with robots that have perfect AI

Self driving cars

More security... less privacy but less murders and crime

Hoverboards

Space traveling

People are shway

Future_scenes____shopping_mall_by_anasri

4422001_o.gif

Olden days:

Less responsibilities

Straight forward life: eat,dance,sleep

less fat people

disturberforio9.jpg

hobbiton_204.jpeg

id say were stuck in the worst time period, we have a little bit of both

#2 Posted by KiIIyou (27145 posts) -
I wana live in hobbit world.
#3 Posted by one_plum (6349 posts) -

The past is nowhere near as glamorous or romantic as what the media portrays unless if you don't mind plagues, poor hygiene, bigotry, tyranny, and so on...

#4 Posted by michael_1234576 (8620 posts) -
I choose the past so long as I was born a noble
#5 Posted by MonoSilver (1525 posts) -
Past for me.
#6 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

Past. I'd want to exploit the past and be a king.

But all i really want to do is fuk the sh!t out of Queen Elizabeth I

#7 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5973 posts) -
I'd say were stuck in the best time period. Would never want to leave the present.
#8 Posted by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -

You don't know what the future will be like.

#9 Posted by Oleg_Huzwog (21885 posts) -

I like having flushing toilets, competent dentists, and treatments for tetanus. I'll stick with either the present or future.

#10 Posted by Laihendi (5819 posts) -
I would want to live in the past as some kind of European aristocrat, but not during the French revolution.
#11 Posted by sonicare (53451 posts) -

Definitely not the past.

#12 Posted by johnd13 (8024 posts) -

Easily future. I' m not sure if it' s going to be as the TC described it but one way or another it will be far more interesting witnessing all the future discoveries than living in the past.

#13 Posted by tocool340 (20491 posts) -
Don't know sh!t about the future so that can turn out to worse than the present and what I know about the past is definitely worse than today for someone like me (Brown skin living in America, or depending how far back I go, most likely a slave...). So I'd rather stick with the present.....
#14 Posted by GamingVengeance (1853 posts) -
future
#15 Posted by ArmoredCore55 (23826 posts) -
I would go with past, since I wouldn't like the idea of some of the things listed.
#16 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

Future, no contest.

#17 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12860 posts) -

Future. I like daily bathing, thank you.

#18 Posted by rocinante_ (1666 posts) -

past = the shire? hell yeah, i'll take the past.

...to answer more seriously, i would actually consider choosing to live in the past rather than the future. everything seems simpler back then; it was just family, survivng, and savouring the joyful parts of life. that said, the recent past was generally pretty brutal if you weren't wealthy. i think i would like to live among a nomadic community, way back when people lived relatively isolated--that seems like a peaceful setting.

although if i chose the past, i would like to have all my memories of present luxuries erased, otherwise i'd just sulk all the time. if all that can be done, past for me.

#19 Posted by AcidThunder (2332 posts) -

i prefer the present

#20 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6248 posts) -

I'm ok with whatever time I'm in.

I think the old days were quaint and charming, 1940's, 1860's, etc.

Think the future's gonna be like the movie Johnny Mnemonic and Escape from NY, pretty much a dark bleak Robocop world. Deus Ex etc.

I'm ok with all of that.

#21 Posted by Dogswithguns (10709 posts) -
Past.. I love the old things.
#22 Posted by comp_atkins (31284 posts) -

future.. not even close. that past sucked and i like ice in my drinks

#23 Posted by BossPerson (9450 posts) -
I would want to live in the past as some kind of European aristocrat, but not during the French revolution.Laihendi
i thought you were all about human rights and popular sovereignty
#24 Posted by zenogandia (912 posts) -

The hobbit is a fictional world. It wasn't so pretty in the middle ages.

I'd say... in the present. What if the future is a F'up place where islam has taken over the world? Hopefully it's a secular future.

#25 Posted by dramaybaz (6020 posts) -
Future. But the only reason I may choose the past is to come up with theories the theories we already know, so I can have my name on them. :P
#26 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -
What's the point of this thread? Only a retard would choose the past Archaic medicine, low life span, rampant racism and sexism, disease, no advanced technology.
#27 Posted by Ricardomz (2329 posts) -

I wana live in hobbit world.KiIIyou

Damn it, beat me to it.

#28 Posted by KiIIyou (27145 posts) -

[QUOTE="KiIIyou"]I wana live in hobbit world.Ricardomz

Damn it, beat me to it.

I don't wanna live there all alone, come and join me!
#29 Posted by JustSignedUp (1148 posts) -

You don't know what the future will be like.

Blueresident87
im obviously giving my ideal future dumbass
#30 Posted by konvikt_17 (22176 posts) -

the fuck is shway?

#31 Posted by JustSignedUp (1148 posts) -

the **** is shway?

konvikt_17

BatmanBeyond-BruceFacepalm.jpg

#32 Posted by konvikt_17 (22176 posts) -

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

thefuck is shway?

JustSignedUp

you gonna answer my question?

#33 Posted by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -

Future

past would be miserable

#34 Posted by gamerguru100 (10505 posts) -

Future

Most people in the past lived crappy lives. No adequate living conditions like comfortable bedrooms, central air, flush toilets, toilet paper, showers, etc. were available. Many diseases were still running rampant and vaccines were either nonexistent or just beginning to surface. The past is filled with invasions, wars, oppression, and poverty. Even though we have all this today, it's not nearly as bad as it was before. No Internet and video games is a definite turn off for living in the past. No cars before the 1920s. Have fun walking or taking a carriage. I'm sure carriages weren't warm in the dead of winter.

LOL, I wonder how many people in the past ended up wiping their ass with posion ivy. In the far past, you had to hunt and gather all your food. I prefer hopping into a car and driving to Target to pick up my food over running half naked into the woods with a bow and arrow or spear to hunt some animal to cook over a fire later. Not to mention many animals in the wild are capable of killing humans easily. You don't know whether or not those berries you picked are poisonous or not. You can't take a painkiller for your toothache; instead you go to the primitive dentist to have it pulled out. O_O

Need I go on? :P

I'll take TC's future over the past any damn day of the week.

#35 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -
Past sucks pretty bad compared to what we have now. Bad medicine, no internet, social inequality, no TV, crappy music unless you can get to and afford a concert ticket. Future we'll probably have cures for even more stuff, all the shows and music between now and then, longer lives and generally just be better. I don't get this idea that the past is better than the present. Pretty sure anyone except the very elite would be better off now than in the past in terms of living conditions.
#36 Posted by CreasianDevaili (4029 posts) -
rather watch new episodes than reruns.
#37 Posted by JustSignedUp (1148 posts) -

[QUOTE="JustSignedUp"]

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

**** is shway?

konvikt_17

prv11576_pg1.jpg

#38 Posted by DarthSatan (4607 posts) -

Past. My relatives on the Italian side are from the Royal Family. My Great-Grandmother was first cousin to the Queen and had to flee the country when Mussolini took over for fear of being executed. As the oldest male in that branch of the family, this would make me hereditary Lord of the Italian province of Calabria. So past, with the right machinations I could be King of Italy. Hell, I'm technically 27th in line for the throne right now, not that this means anything in today's world, it's just kind of neat.

#39 Posted by konvikt_17 (22176 posts) -

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

[QUOTE="JustSignedUp"]

JustSignedUp

prv11576_pg1.jpg

i take that as a no.

carry on then.

#40 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

If I could be a noble or rich merchant I'd like to live in the past and own my own sea fairing vessel. Exploring and documenting new lands and possibly conquering them. Would be epic.

#41 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
Being someone of white skin I'd prefer the past; I have no clue what's going to happen to the White people in the future, but it sure as hell can't be good.
#42 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -
Being someone of white skin I'd prefer the past; I have no clue what's going to happen to the White people in the future, but it sure as hell can't be good. Fightingfan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4f9zR5yzY
#43 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Being someone of white skin I'd prefer the past; I have no clue what's going to happen to the White people in the future, but it sure as hell can't be good. Rich3232
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4f9zR5yzY

Haha, I thought of Louis CK too with that comment. I sure hope us white people don't get screwed too bad. Hopefully our demographics will start getting better again one day.
#44 Posted by sailor232 (4481 posts) -

The past, where you can make a living off of your skills. Today you have to spend or borrow a lot of money then waste years upon years to get a piece of paper that says you can do the job. If I feel in love with a girl at the age of 12, I could Marry her, I would be a man by the time I reached 15. I could get travel on a ship to a new country just by offering my services as a chef, or washing dishes or scrubbing the deck. Money mattered but not as much as today, I could barter for things I wanted, barter my skills, meat, animals, I could hunt and barter skins for wood etc. The past seems to have more options and oportunities at far less the cost.

#45 Posted by MirkoS77 (7211 posts) -
The past having less responsibilities? Not sure I agree with that one. And the future having cars that drive themselves? F*CK THAT, seriously. Even though I'm torn, I'd probably choose the future. The old days were incredibly brutal and miserable compared to today, and though I do find the struggle for progression through extreme hardships to be fascinating, I don't think I'd enjoy living through them. Though it depends on what my situation would be in either time, but everything being equal....the future.