Would you live without electricity for a year for a million bucks?

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6522 posts) -

I don't think I could do that. I'd go insane if I had to go off the grid for that long

#2 Posted by johnd13 (7911 posts) -

I don't think I could do that. I'd go insane if I had to go off the grid for that long

Capitan_Kid

Hmm I think I could do it. I would spend my time reading books and working out.

#3 Posted by ferrari2001 (16748 posts) -
Absolutely. There are plenty of good books out there to keep myself occupied.
#4 Posted by comp_atkins (31200 posts) -
off the grid (can generate my own) or without electricity altogether?
#5 Posted by MrGeezer (56040 posts) -
Yep, I'd do it. Just as long as I get to stock up on whatever non-electrical supplies of my choosing beforehand, I'd absolutely do it.
#6 Posted by wis3boi (31009 posts) -

went over a week without it a little over a year ago.  Wouldn't wish it on anyone

#7 Posted by MrGeezer (56040 posts) -

went over a week without it a little over a year ago.  Wouldn't wish it on anyone

wis3boi
I went over a week without it back when Hurricane Ivan hit. It sucked REALLY bad at first. But honestly, near the end of the week, it wasn't that bad. Right before the electricity came back on, I was actually starting to get used to not having any electricity.
#8 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4165 posts) -
Definitely could if the climate was right.
#9 Posted by KnightSkull (1698 posts) -

I have enough books in my back log that I haven't read yet which would easily last over a year. So, yeah, I would do it if I was offered that deal.

#10 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15887 posts) -

Capitan_Kid

So long as there is running water, toilet, toilet paper, gas (as in natural gas) appliances? Sure. It would suck without airconditioning. But, there's plenty of rivers and creeks where I'm at. I can live without a fridge, telephone, TV, or internet. Most of my days will be spent fishing or doing watersports which is fine.

#11 Posted by playmynutz (5980 posts) -
for sure it would suck if my household would lose electricity for a year or is the challenge just living out in the jungle
#12 Posted by Blueresident87 (5312 posts) -

I could do it easily. I would just dissapear in the mountains for a year, no problem.

But I wouldn't want to because I like my electricity.

#13 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
Of course
#14 Posted by Deadpool-n (467 posts) -

Yeah, I'd be fine.

#15 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6178 posts) -

Yes deal with it to make the rest of my life alot better it would be like getting a one year prison service but you get a million dollars when you get out and your not stuck in a cage the whole time!

#16 Posted by Diablo-B (4022 posts) -
No. Not because I couldn't do it. But because 1 million isn't that much money. You'll have to raise that asking price up.
#17 Posted by Megavideogamer (5279 posts) -

I could only do it in place like a California Desert. Electricity for heating is needed in a cold climate. Not many people have fireplaces these days. Plus in a desert a cold shower would be welcomed.

a million dollars for 1 year. But do to inflation it should be 2.5 million in 2013. to be worth it.

#18 Posted by mrbojangles25 (31985 posts) -

hell yeah, that'd be kind of a blessing in disguise, not counting the money.  I'd problably be forced to take care of my personal life a bit more

quick question, though: I we speaking solely of no electricity at my place of living, or no electricity and electronic gadgets period?  I.e. would I still have access to a cell phone while working and be able to interact with electronics outside of my house?  

#19 Posted by KiIIyou (27135 posts) -
I'd do for 50,000, every year.
#20 Posted by TINYOWNSYOU (565 posts) -

At first I thought yes.

But the more I think about it, the more I realize I couldn't. You wouldn't even have a fridge....

#21 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18331 posts) -
Yes, Id make up for it after that year by catching up on movies and tv shows.. but I'd spend my time busy with work, use candles, read books and right now im busy enough that it would be that bad.
#22 Posted by Chris_Williams (14868 posts) -

ughhh yeah, I would probably go to a buddhist temple retreat for a year and come back. Easy Million

#23 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6522 posts) -
off the grid (can generate my own) or without electricity altogether?comp_atkins
Without any electricity and anything that uses electricity. Lights, fridge, microwave, oven, cars, phones, and etc
#24 Posted by KiIIyou (27135 posts) -

At first I thought yes.

But the more I think about it, the more I realize I couldn't. You wouldn't even have a fridge....

TINYOWNSYOU
Whatcha need one of them for?
#25 Posted by Boddicker (2411 posts) -

For 1 year? Hell yes!!!!!

It would only suck for the first month. Anyone who says no and already isn't well off is an idiot.

People somehow managed to survive without electricity for thousands of years. However would I manage? lol

#26 Posted by TINYOWNSYOU (565 posts) -

[QUOTE="TINYOWNSYOU"]

At first I thought yes.

KiIIyou

Cold food. Life without cheese just isn't worth it.

#27 Posted by IdioticIcarus (2242 posts) -
Definitely.
#28 Posted by Sphensen (721 posts) -

without a doubt

#29 Posted by lamprey263 (22764 posts) -
yes, I can do it, though I would go through a withdrawal period
#30 Posted by soulless4now (41359 posts) -

No. I need internet. 

#31 Posted by Laihendi (5800 posts) -
I would do it for gold but not for paper money. There is no way to know how valuable some paper would be in a year.
#32 Posted by KiIIyou (27135 posts) -

[QUOTE="KiIIyou"][QUOTE="TINYOWNSYOU"]

At first I thought yes.

TINYOWNSYOU

Could get those big cheese wheels that you can leave out on the table, then just put a neato looking knife next to it for slicin;.
#33 Posted by TINYOWNSYOU (565 posts) -

[QUOTE="TINYOWNSYOU"]

[QUOTE="KiIIyou"]Whatcha need one of them for?KiIIyou

Could get those big cheese wheels that you can leave out on the table, then just put a neato looking knife next to it for slicin;.

I 'spose that could work. I just wouldn't want mold in the cheese...

#34 Posted by KiIIyou (27135 posts) -

TINYOWNSYOU

Heavens no, to the mold :3
#35 Posted by osirisx3 (1739 posts) -

i don't know that is possible but i would.

#36 Posted by Saturos3091 (14938 posts) -

I could do it if my career didn't depend on it.

Otherwise I'd read, write, work out, and play various instruments to pass the time. Maybe learn some cooking/outdoors skills.

#37 Posted by TINYOWNSYOU (565 posts) -

[QUOTE="TINYOWNSYOU"]

[QUOTE="KiIIyou"] Could get those big cheese wheels that you can leave out on the table, then just put a neato looking knife next to it for slicin;.KiIIyou

Heavens no, to the mold :3

Can't have mold in the cheese.... lol

#38 Posted by IdioticIcarus (2242 posts) -

I could do it if my career didn't depend on it.

Otherwise I'd read, write, work out, and play various instruments to pass the time. Maybe learn some cooking/outdoors skills.

Saturos3091
But how long would it take you to make a million dollars in your career? And would taking a year off do a million dollars worth of damage to your career?
#39 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Yeah, that's easy.

#40 Posted by mrbojangles25 (31985 posts) -

At first I thought yes.

TINYOWNSYOU

you don't need to refrigerate cheese unless you plan on holding on to it for more than a few days.

#41 Posted by TINYOWNSYOU (565 posts) -

[QUOTE="TINYOWNSYOU"]

[QUOTE="KiIIyou"]Whatcha need one of them for?mrbojangles25

you don't need to refrigerate cheese unless you plan on holding on to it for more than a few days.

I do plan on holding on to it for more than a few days, along with other foods that ought to be refrigerated.

#42 Posted by megagene (22985 posts) -
I sure would.
#43 Posted by Sword-Demon (6943 posts) -

what about batteries? could we use them?

if so, then absolutely

#44 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -
Sure, I would.
#45 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

No. I need internet. 

soulless4now
What if there was a way to just infuse the internet into you, like an IV?
#46 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5271 posts) -
I would. It would be an interesting experience, and at the end of it you'll have $1,000,000.
#47 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15887 posts) -

Most Amish in my neighborhood already use very limited amounts of electricity (mostly for lighting) and some still don't use any at all. No electricity? We'd fit right in. :lol:

#48 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

Absolutely.  

#49 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -
A new experience and a million dollars richer? Sign me up.