Would You Be Ok With Being The Opposite Gender?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

Let's say medical advancements went through the roof within the next 5 year, and you've received a virus that the only known cure for was to swap your gender around permanently and 100% genetically accurately. Would you be fine with that? Or would you prefer to leave yourself to the will of the virus?

I'd probably be fine with it. What ever guarntee's my health is what would matter most to me.

#2 Posted by Omni-Slash (54449 posts) -
no...not being able to pee standing up would really bother me....
#3 Posted by johnd13 (7847 posts) -

I would seriously consider it only if there' s no other way to survive. Still it would be insanely weird to become a lady...

#4 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

You can't 'swap your gender' gender is a social construct.

#5 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

I would seriously consider it only if there' s no other way to survive. Still it would be insanely weird to become a lady...

johnd13

The word "lady" always seemed posh to me. Like snooty sort of. Would you be posh? :o

You can't 'swap your gender' gender is a social construct.

Fightingfan

Beh beh beh, you know what I mean. :P

#6 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
I would never change my sex because I'm obviously the socially superior one >.>
#7 Posted by JinjonatorX (639 posts) -
I feel like this question could've been asked without the complicated set-up. Anyway, technically, you can "swap" your gender; it's called transgender, and it's as easy as identifying as the other gender. But I'll assume you meant sex. In which case... I suppose I'd be cool with it. I mean if like I woke up in the morning and suddenly I was a babe, that'd be okay I guess. Not really something I aspire to, though.
#8 Posted by Postmortem123 (7717 posts) -

Yep.

#9 Posted by johnd13 (7847 posts) -

[QUOTE="johnd13"]

sune_Gem

The word "lady" always seemed posh to me. Like snooty sort of. Would you be posh? :o

Nah I would never be posh. I just find the word "lady" cute to call a girl. :P

#10 Posted by FMAB_GTO (14385 posts) -
Yes very much actually,it'd make some things MUCH easier for me.
#11 Posted by Barbariser (6761 posts) -

What does this virus do exactly?

#12 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (43173 posts) -
F*ck no.
#13 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (43173 posts) -

Yes very much actually,it'd make some things MUCH easier for me.FMAB_GTO
foreveralone.png

#14 Posted by MrPraline (21331 posts) -
Sure, would give me motivation to finally go shopping. Need a few things from the city.
#15 Posted by FMAB_GTO (14385 posts) -

[QUOTE="FMAB_GTO"]Yes very much actually,it'd make some things MUCH easier for me.Stevo_the_gamer

foreveralone.png

?
#16 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

Barbariser

Uh... Infects your... genitalia... I guess?

I don't know, I was just making up same lame plot as to why. :lol:

#17 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Yeah, *cough* boobs *cough* :P.

#18 Posted by iHarlequin (1928 posts) -

Sure. It'd be interesting to know if their sexual pleasure is the same as a man's :P.

In any case, if that virus were widespread, and the gender modification were universally offered/cheap, we would see some interesting changes in social dynamics.

#19 Posted by Barbariser (6761 posts) -

[QUOTE="Barbariser"]

sune_Gem

Well, I don't see the point of attempting to remove my genitals in order to cure something that infects the genitals. Unless it interferes with something else like urinating or sexual pleasure in which I would have to convert.

#20 Posted by Teenaged (31747 posts) -

No I like being a guy.

(High) heels and the kind of clothes women often wear seem very uncomfortable. Plus women are more easily judged based on looks. I'd hate that.

#21 Posted by iHarlequin (1928 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

[QUOTE="Barbariser"]

Barbariser

Well, I don't see the point of attempting to remove my genitals in order to cure something that infects the genitals. Unless it interferes with something else like urinating or sexual pleasure in which I would have to convert.

Uh, you realize you'd be changing, not removing, your genitalia? If you chop your dick off, you don't have a hidden vagina :P.

@TC: You'd better just say that it infects your genitalia and spreads out to the rest of your body unless, due to hormonal balancing and whatnot, you change your gender (swapping genitalia).

#23 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="Barbariser"]

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

iHarlequin

Uh, you realize you'd be changing, not removing, your genitalia? If you chop your dick off, you don't have a hidden vagina :P.

@TC: You'd better just say that it infects your genitalia and spreads out to the rest of your body unless, due to hormonal balancing and whatnot, you change your gender (swapping genitalia).

Yeah, what he said. ;)

#24 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -

Definitely. In fact, for many reasons, I think it makes sense for me to be female even though I'm comfortable with being male.

#25 Posted by doofus117 (22 posts) -
Probably because you'd have boobs to play with.
#26 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

Definitely. In fact, for some reason, I think it makes sense for me to be female even though I'm comfortable with being male.ghoklebutter

How so? Do you feel your interests and hobbies waver onto the more feminine side of things?

#28 Posted by LLYNCES (381 posts) -

Getting ****ed, having to deal with periods, having to constantly put on makeup and having to deal with pregnancy doesn't sound great to me. Sure there are benefits, but I'd rather be male.

#29 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]Definitely. In fact, for some reason, I think it makes sense for me to be female even though I'm comfortable with being male.sune_Gem

How so? Do you feel your interests and hobbies waver onto the more feminine side of things?

Some regard a few of my interests and salient personality traits as feminine, but all of that is part of gender expression and so is irrelevant. I'm talking about gender identity here; in particular, I feel that it makes just as much sense for me to be female as it does to be male. It's simply a matter of subconscious feelings regarding my identity.
#30 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -

Getting ****ed, having to deal with periods, having to constantly put on makeup and having to deal with pregnancy doesn't sound great to me. Sure there are benefits, but I'd rather be male.

LLYNCES
I'm pretty sure that women aren't programmed to have only passive roles in sex. As for putting on makeup, I personally would find that fun. Pregnancy and menstruation don't sound too pleasant, but at least I'm able terminate my pregnancies. And honestly, I'd just get used to periods eventually. Overall, it doesn't sound to bad - at least to me.
#31 Posted by Barbariser (6761 posts) -

[QUOTE="Barbariser"]

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

[QUOTE="Barbariser"]

iHarlequin

I could have sworn that I made a reply to this. Okay, to paraphrase, removing a dick and putting a vagina there still means removing the dick, and for the act of defeating an illness that threatened the dick. It doesn't really make any sense to change genders just for that unless the dick infection threatens some other part of my body.

#32 Posted by pspdseagle (3307 posts) -
No way. I like being a male.
#33 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36908 posts) -
As long as I could choose my measurements
#34 Posted by zeldaluff (3387 posts) -

In day to day life, I'd be okay with it. It would probably be easier in some cases. Sexually, I think it would be very confusing.

#35 Posted by Aljosa23 (25645 posts) -

If the only alternative was death then yeah of course. I'd still like vagina though.

#36 Posted by Smokescreened84 (2514 posts) -
My gender is already female, my physical sex though is something I'm working towards changing towards female as much as medically and physically possible. But if I was able to become 100% female completely then I would be over joyed since I would finally be the woman I was meant to be in full. As for those who don't know how a physical sex switch would work, males are born with vagina's, but those are sealed in the womb and the male parts grow over it. A sex change surgery basically removes those parts, opens the vagina and uses the skin from the removed male parts to make the vagina more viable. Although it does make the person sterile and unable to reproduce, sadly. Well maybe sadly, the Earth is a tad over crowded with humans as it is.
#37 Posted by SaudiFury (8707 posts) -

I like being male?

and i don't identify myself as female, so unless i got a memory/experience wipe and switched genders or was re-born physically female, i probably wouldn't like or want to be female.

#38 Posted by Cheleman (7772 posts) -

Yap.

#39 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

Wow, 50% of the votes in total say they would actually prefer to be the opposite sex? I didn't expect that. :shock:

#40 Posted by Whiteblade999 (5543 posts) -

It would be awkward to say the least, but why not? I'm sure it can't too much worse then what I gotta deal with now.

#41 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (43173 posts) -
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]

[QUOTE="FMAB_GTO"]Yes very much actually,it'd make some things MUCH easier for me.FMAB_GTO

foreveralone.png

?

Well, that went right over like a 747.
#42 Posted by Diablo-B (4053 posts) -
No cause under your scenario I would be a woman that still looked like a dude. That would suck cause I look great as a guy, but as a woman I don think so. Now if my appearance changed to then sure, why not.
#43 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10300 posts) -

no i wouldn't be OK with it cause our sexuality is the most important piece of the puzzle that makes us what we are today.i wouldn't be me if i turned into a girl,if i could get over myself to start a whole new life and character,i'd probably accept the surgery yes.

#44 Posted by Rhazakna (11022 posts) -
My psychology is very male, so it would probably be an issue. If I suddenly switched sexes, I'd definitely be a lesbian, and maybe transgender,
#45 Posted by tocool340 (20617 posts) -
No....fvck no. I'd be stuck looking like a hermaphrodite then unless that so called cure also alters my face structure, gives me decent size breast, stops hair from growing on my face and chest, and raises my voice pinch considerably. Not to mention needing to get used to a females habits? Yeah, I think I'd rather die a man thanks you...
#46 Posted by cfstar (1979 posts) -
I guess. It doesn't seem too bad.
#47 Posted by ninjastar (9522 posts) -

I wouldn't mind trying it out for a day, not for longer though.

#48 Posted by Allicrombie (25359 posts) -
based on the guys on OT, hell no. =P
#49 Posted by ninjastar (9522 posts) -

based on the guys on OT, hell no. =PAllicrombie

maybe normal guys?

#50 Posted by Allicrombie (25359 posts) -

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]based on the guys on OT, hell no. =Pninjastar

maybe normal guys?

define normal.