Would you be comfortable being a "House-Husband"?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 7 months, 2 days ago

Poll: Would you be comfortable being a "House-Husband"? (30 votes)

Yes, i'm cool with that if she/he wants to bring home the bacon. 63%
No, i prefer a dual-income family 23%
No, i'd feel too emasculated and i don't want to be the bottom 0%
Yes but only if we had kids, otherwise No if we don't 13%

let's see if men today in modern society would be okay with this idea

#1 Posted by lostrib (32942 posts) -

Duh! I'd be on the couch

#2 Posted by deeliman (2340 posts) -

Yeah I would. If she makes enough money that I don't have to work, I wouldn't.

#3 Edited by deeliman (2340 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Duh! I'd be on the couch

You'd have to do chores around the house though. Still beats working, I guess.

#4 Posted by lostrib (32942 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@lostrib said:

Duh! I'd be on the couch

Not if you hire a maid

#5 Edited by plageus900 (953 posts) -

It sounds appealing, but no.

#6 Posted by deeliman (2340 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@deeliman said:

@lostrib said:

Duh! I'd be on the couch

Not if you hire a maid

I like your thinking.

#7 Posted by foxhound_fox (87327 posts) -

No. The first week or two would be great, but then I'd get itching to be out on the road again.

#8 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (811 posts) -

If my hypothetical wife had a well paying job, that didn't require her to work more than 40 hrs/week, and we had children/a child, I think it'd be pretty awesome.

#9 Edited by Aljosa23 (24523 posts) -

I'd be "comfortable" with it socially but I'd probably get bored really fast.

#10 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12763 posts) -

If you mean 'not working', then yeah. I'm retired so it's no big deal...she wouldn't even have to work if she didn't want to. But if she wanted me to stay home with the kids, I've taken care of children most of my life so I'd fall right into it.

I'd still have to have time to get the work around the house and my parents farm done, though. No getting around that.

#11 Posted by TwistedShade (3137 posts) -

I would enjoy it if we had kids to take care of, otherwise I feel like it would get boring pretty quickly.

I mean probably wouldn't take THAT long to finish all the housework depending on the size of it, and then I would be stuck slacking off which would really start to wear thin.

#12 Edited by Master_Live (13931 posts) -

It depends, do we have kids? How much does she makes? How much does she has to work to earn that? Can I go out during the day? Do I have to take care of the house?

#13 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

I would have absolutely zero problem with being a house husband or stay at home dad. Hell, I'd love it.

#14 Posted by jimkabrhel (15416 posts) -

I would be okay with being at home, now that I'm enjoying being a father. But I like my job enough to not want to give it up willingly.

#15 Posted by Barbariser (6717 posts) -

Don't like chores and/or children, would get bored to death.

#16 Edited by starfox15 (3966 posts) -

If there was no better option then sure. If she made way more money than me and we had to take care of kids or something like that then yes. Otherwise I'd just be a lazy dude who wasn't contributing....

#17 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

That's kind of the dream. Dealing with kids once they're not babies is pretty easy and not having the stress of work would be awesome.

#18 Edited by solidruss (23661 posts) -

I would have absolutely zero problem with being a house husband or stay at home dad. Hell, I'd love it.

Same here!

#19 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

Fuck no, and I'm quite surprised by the high percentage of those who'd actually be cool with this.

#20 Edited by toast_burner (21284 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Fuck no, and I'm quite surprised by the high percentage of those who'd actually be cool with this.

Is your problem with it due to gender stereotypes or that you think everyone should work?

#21 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Is your problem with it due to gender stereotypes or that you think everyone should work?

1-I wouldn't willingly live off anyone.

2-I wouldn't allow myself to take a back seat to anyone, especially to my partner. Aside from the obvious self-interest I have in the maintenance and cultivation of my own self-respect, the respect of others and the state of being on equal footing with my partner, I believe that these things are also essential in order to preserve the vitality and vigor of the relationship so I expect the same from my partner and I would definitely do anything in my power to promote it.

You're the political correctness police now or what?

#22 Posted by BranKetra (47747 posts) -

I would not be comfortable as a house-husband.

#23 Edited by Treflis (11418 posts) -

If we had kids and she earned a whole heap more then me,then possibly.

Though I'd see it as more likely that I'd still be working, at the very least a 80% position.

#24 Edited by toast_burner (21284 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

2-I wouldn't allow myself to take a back seat to anyone, especially to my partner. Aside from the obvious self-interest I have in the maintenance and cultivation of my own self-respect, the respect of others and the state of being on equal footing with my partner, I believe that these things are also essential in order to preserve the vitality and vigor of the relationship so I expect the same from my partner and I would definitely do anything in my power to promote it.

If you're going to judge someone you have to give a reason. Otherwise you come across as an idiot. There are lots of people who would oppose it simply for "not being manly, how was anyone not to know to know that you aren't one of those morons?

What if the persons partner is happy with it? If you don't personally want to do it then fine, but why does it surprise you that others disagree?

#25 Edited by GreySeal9 (23974 posts) -

I would have no problem with it in a social sense, but I'd rather be out and about.

#26 Posted by themajormayor (25667 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

"not being manly, how was anyone not to know to know that you aren't one of those morons?

How does that make you a moron?

#27 Posted by toast_burner (21284 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

"not being manly, how was anyone not to know to know that you aren't one of those morons?

Believing that outdated backwards believes on gender are still relevant? Same reason believing that those who choose to work on a Sunday deserve to be punished are also morons.

#28 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

God forbids you don't confirm to his values and morals or dissent from his infallible enlightenment.

For some reason I just chuckled at the thought of the existence of "gender studies" and "LGBT studies" majors rofl. They remind me of taost_burner.

#29 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

Believing that outdated backwards believes on gender are still relevant? Same reason believing that those who choose to work on a Sunday deserve to be punished are also morons.

You're too much...

#30 Edited by themajormayor (25667 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

How are they outdated and backwards? No one has ever thought that of Sundays AFAIK. In any case I don't understand how that comparison make any sense. How can you equate people who stone other people for working on Sundays to men who want to work because it's part of their identity as men?

#31 Posted by toast_burner (21284 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@themajormayor said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

How are they outdated and backwards? No one has ever thought that of Sundays AFAIK. In any case I don't understand how that comparison make any sense. How can you equate people who stone other people for working on Sundays to men who want to work because it's part of their identity as men?

It's more about people seeing their own way of doing things to be the right way of doing it and anyone who does different must be wrong.

It's entirely self centred and illogical.

#32 Posted by k--m--k (994 posts) -

Only if there is no kids

#33 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

if my wife made enough money to suppurt both of us and more then me then ya of course I would consider it if there was good reason for one of us not working

#34 Edited by themajormayor (25667 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@themajormayor said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

God forbids you don't confirm to his values and morals or dissent from his infallible enlightenment.

For some reason I just chuckled at the thought of the existence of "gender studies" and "LGBT studies" majors rofl. They remind me of taost_burner.

He would like it here in Sweden. Every subject is with gender focus apparently... although haven't seen with LGBT focus. I guess due to not enough pride parades.

#35 Posted by themajormayor (25667 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@toast_burner said:

@themajormayor said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

It's more about people seeing their own way of doing things to be the right way of doing it and anyone who does different must be wrong.

I don't know GazaAlis opinions but it didn't seem like he was judging anyone else.

#36 Posted by always_explicit (2655 posts) -

I wouldnt want to do it. A two person income is better than that of just a single person. I earn less than my wife currently but I know I am still a contributor. We could not afford the lifestyle we have now if she were the only worker. As I am accustomed to my current lifestyle I couldnt sacrifice it. If we had two young children (twins) then I would consider dropping my hours but again, not substancially so. I couldnt have justified spending the 429 quid I just spend on a next gen console if I knew it was only due to my wife working for an entire week we could afford it.

#37 Posted by toast_burner (21284 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@themajormayor said:

@toast_burner said:

@themajormayor said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

I don't know GazaAlis opinions but it didn't seem like he was judging anyone else.

I didn't say he was.

#38 Posted by toast_burner (21284 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@themajormayor said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

I have no problem with people having different opinions than me. what I have a problem with is people forcing their opinions on others.

#39 Posted by themajormayor (25667 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@toast_burner said:

@themajormayor said:

@toast_burner said:

@themajormayor said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

I didn't say he was.

"If you're going to judge someone you have to give a reason."

#40 Edited by toast_burner (21284 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@themajormayor said:

@toast_burner said:

@themajormayor said:

@toast_burner said:

@themajormayor said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

I didn't say he was.

That was regarding his surprise that people disagree with him. Something he seemed to show as a negative thing.

#41 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

Wow this toast_burner fella operates on a whole different level:

@toast_burner said:

I didn't say he was.

I have no problem with people having different opinions than me. what I have a problem with is people forcing their opinions on others.

Where did I try to force my opinion on anyone in this topic or in that clusterfuck gay one?

#42 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

He would like it here in Sweden. Every subject is with gender focus apparently... although haven't seen with LGBT focus. I guess due to not enough pride parades.

I never understood your sudden and recent fascination with Israel. But more importantly, I never understood why a Swede would have an interest in Israel and the region in general. But now I'm getting where its coming from and I do sympathize even though you'd be +1 my sworn enemy :3

The western civilization is betraying its founding fathers and slowly turning into a clusterfuck of stagnation, unoriginality, dogmatic and hardline political correctness, conformity and tyranny of majority.

#43 Posted by mccoyca112 (5433 posts) -

As long as it ain't 24-7 lockdown, It could be something I'd consider. It drives me crazy when Im out of the workforce; There isn't enough laundry in the world to have me be fully okay with that.

#44 Edited by toast_burner (21284 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@themajormayor said:

@toast_burner said:

I didn't say he was.

@toast_burner said:

Where did I try to force my opinion on anyone in this topic or in that clusterfuck gay one?

I never said you did. I asked you to elaborate on what you said and then you went crazy for no reason and started this argument about god knows what.

In that gay thread you were supporting a homophobic law based on your incorrect views on sexuality. It's no different than saying blacks shouldn't mix with whites because they may corrupt innocent white children.

#45 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

Sure as long as she can come home to cook and clean as well.

#46 Edited by Ring_of_fire (15640 posts) -

Yes, as long as it is my choice, can afford to do it financially on one income, and I can end the arrangement and get a job whenever I want to. If it's forced upon me (however unlikely), then no.

#47 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@themajormayor said:

@toast_burner said:

I didn't say he was.

@toast_burner said:

I never said you did. I asked you to elaborate on what you said and then you went crazy for no reason and started this argument about god knows what.

In that gay thread you were supporting a homophobic law based on your incorrect views on sexuality. It's no different than saying blacks shouldn't mix with whites because they may corrupt innocent white children.

argh

#48 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

I wish. I would love to be a stay at home day.

#49 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

Only if house-husbands could have house hippos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBfi8OEz0rA