#1 Posted by Kevlar101 (5992 posts) -

I state the half-ass opinion that an opinion cannot be correct, but an opinion CAN be wrong.

Well? What is your own...opinion?

#2 Edited by MonsieurX (29157 posts) -

Your opinion is wrong

#3 Edited by Iszdope (9539 posts) -

His opinion is wrong.

#5 Edited by Master_Live (13931 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

I state the half-ass opinion that an opinion cannot be correct, but an opinion CAN be wrong.

Well? What is your own...opinion?

Provide us a few examples.

#6 Posted by jasean79 (2338 posts) -

I've read your post a dozen times and I still can't figure what in the hell you're asking me???

#7 Posted by Ariabed (1101 posts) -

Right or wrong it doesn't matter it's just an opinion but yes your opinion is half-assed :p

#8 Posted by thegerg (14587 posts) -

Would I agree with what?

#9 Edited by outworld222 (2367 posts) -

@thegerg said:

Would I agree with what?

Agreed.

#10 Edited by bowchicka07 (1073 posts) -

#11 Posted by lostrib (32942 posts) -
#12 Posted by elkoldo (953 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

I've read your post a dozen times and I still can't figure what in the hell you're asking me???

This.

#13 Posted by stationplay_4 (442 posts) -

wat

#14 Edited by br0kenrabbit (12766 posts) -

I don't think you understand what an opinion is.

If someone says "In my opinion, the Earth is flat", that isn't an opinion, it's just wrong.

An opinion is like "I like a Big Mac better than a Whopper".

#15 Edited by EPICCOMMANDER (412 posts) -
#16 Edited by Shottayouth13- (6721 posts) -

I don't think you understand what an opinion is.

If someone says "In my opinion, the Earth is flat", that isn't an opinion, it's just wrong.

An opinion is like "I like a Big Mac better than a Whopper".

English Language basics.

#17 Posted by lamprey263 (22628 posts) -

everybody is right, from their point of view at least

#18 Edited by VaguelyTagged (10057 posts) -

I state the half-ass opinion that an opinion cannot be correct, but an opinion CAN be wrong.

Well? What is your own...opinion?

so you expect us to to agree with a proposition that cannot be correct? the whole statement is fallacy that disproves it's own premise.

#19 Edited by thegerg (14587 posts) -

People don't think it be like it is, but it do.

#20 Posted by blackember36x (30 posts) -

@thegerg: Your english made me lol. Thanks!

#21 Edited by indzman (16836 posts) -

My opinion Kevlar is bored ...again... lol. Am i rite Kevlar ? =P

#22 Edited by Master_Live (13931 posts) -

#23 Edited by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

#24 Edited by KHAndAnime (13275 posts) -

Opinions can be misinformed, so obviously opinions can be incorrect. Anyone who says opinions can't be wrong are dim bulbs, and are usually just saying it to defend their misinformed opinions.

#25 Posted by PsychoLemons (1967 posts) -

Agree to disagree? Maybe.

#26 Edited by hippiesanta (9755 posts) -

@indzman said:

My opinion Kevlar is bored ...again... lol. Am i rite Kevlar ? =P

because he's just a boy ....... not yet a Man

#27 Edited by MrGeezer (56019 posts) -

I don't think you understand what an opinion is.

If someone says "In my opinion, the Earth is flat", that isn't an opinion, it's just wrong.

An opinion is like "I like a Big Mac better than a Whopper".

Actually, the first seems like more of an opinion than the second. If some ignoramus states that the earth is flat, then he's stating a belief that rests on grounds insufficient to produce certainty. That's like, the definition of an opinion. It's still a WRONG opinion, but there's nothing stating that opinions can't be objectively wrong.

Meanwhile, saying that he likes something isn't an opinion. There's no uncertainty there, he KNOWS that he likes it. And that's based on something solid: the way that he feels when he eats a Big Mac vs how he feels when he eats a Whopper. If he said that a Big Mac is BETTER than a Whopper, then that's an opinion because the claim is based on grounds that rest on uncertainty. And yes, he could totally be wrong. But merely saying that he LIKES Big Macs over Whoppers isn't an opinion.

#28 Edited by br0kenrabbit (12766 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

I don't think you understand what an opinion is.

If someone says "In my opinion, the Earth is flat", that isn't an opinion, it's just wrong.

An opinion is like "I like a Big Mac better than a Whopper".

Actually, the first seems like more of an opinion than the second. If some ignoramus states that the earth is flat, then he's stating a belief that rests on grounds insufficient to produce certainty. That's like, the definition of an opinion. It's still a WRONG opinion, but there's nothing stating that opinions can't be objectively wrong.

Meanwhile, saying that he likes something isn't an opinion. There's no uncertainty there, he KNOWS that he likes it. And that's based on something solid: the way that he feels when he eats a Big Mac vs how he feels when he eats a Whopper. If he said that a Big Mac is BETTER than a Whopper, then that's an opinion because the claim is based on grounds that rest on uncertainty. And yes, he could totally be wrong. But merely saying that he LIKES Big Macs over Whoppers isn't an opinion.

Misinformation is not an opinion. An opinion always rests on bias and can neither be proven nor disproved. One can certainly prove the world isn't flat (by circumnavigating it for instance), but one cannot disprove a persons like for one thing over another.

#29 Edited by MrGeezer (56019 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

I don't think you understand what an opinion is.

If someone says "In my opinion, the Earth is flat", that isn't an opinion, it's just wrong.

An opinion is like "I like a Big Mac better than a Whopper".

Actually, the first seems like more of an opinion than the second. If some ignoramus states that the earth is flat, then he's stating a belief that rests on grounds insufficient to produce certainty. That's like, the definition of an opinion. It's still a WRONG opinion, but there's nothing stating that opinions can't be objectively wrong.

Meanwhile, saying that he likes something isn't an opinion. There's no uncertainty there, he KNOWS that he likes it. And that's based on something solid: the way that he feels when he eats a Big Mac vs how he feels when he eats a Whopper. If he said that a Big Mac is BETTER than a Whopper, then that's an opinion because the claim is based on grounds that rest on uncertainty. And yes, he could totally be wrong. But merely saying that he LIKES Big Macs over Whoppers isn't an opinion.

Misinformation is not an opinion. An opinion always rests on bias and can neither be proven nor disproved. One can certainly prove the world isn't flat (by circumnavigating it for instance), but one cannot disprove a persons like for one thing over another.

No, the belief is still an opinion because it is BASED on misinformation and a lack of certainty. Regardless of whether or not it CAN be objectively proven, it WASN'T. That's the whole point behind it being an opinion. It's called an opinion because "hell if I know". But notice that that has nothing to do with whether or not the belief is TRUE, and it has little to do with how reality is. What that is is a statement of the person's beliefs, and whether or not those beliefs are substantiated to the point of being certainty. If you believe that the world is flat based on stupid crap, then that IS your opinion. The fact that it's objectively wrong doesn't make it stop being an opinion.

See, here's my problem with your idea of an opinion. You seem to believe that if it can be proven to be wrong, that it's not an opinion. This then implies that opinions cannot be proven wrong. And I disagree, because there are most certainly such things as wrong or misinformed opinions.

Something's status as an opinion does not require that it can be proven wrong. Hell, if anything, it's the other way around. If you tell me that the world ISN'T flat, then you can't be proven wrong because the world IS freaking flat. But the fact that I can't disprove you doesn't make that just your opinion. Instead it's a fact. Someone might opine that Nirvana is the best band of all time. That's an opinion because it's based on uncertain grounds and can conceivably be objectively proven false. It's an opinion because it's built on shaky ground and can be proven to be wrong. If someone says that Nirvana is merely their FAVORITE band of all time, then you can't prove the statement wrong and it's built on a foundation of how the person feels internally. So you don't treat it as "an opinion", you treat it as a fact.

#30 Posted by dave123321 (33576 posts) -

My opinion is that there are no opinions