Would you accept becoming a single entity?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

If all of humanity had the opprotunity to become a single entity, would you want to? Is individualism worth all of the war, hunger, and violence? I think if we had the ability to become a single entity, I'd be able to give up my worldly things to finally have a world at piece. This doesn't mean we'll all become one body, but of a single mind who's only goal is to better the lives of everyone as a collective. A hive mind if you will...

#2 Posted by ScorpionTroll (810 posts) -

No.

#3 Posted by KiIIyou (27157 posts) -
Okay just as long as I can wear a mink robe.
#4 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

No.

ScorpionTroll

Why? If everyone thought about and valued the same things, it'd be the end of war, poverty, and violence.

#5 Posted by mattbbpl (11051 posts) -
If history/current events has taught me anything, it's that the resulting entity would be bipolar... and possibly suicidal.
#6 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

If I/we had a happy existence, why not. I'd accept being a cow if I was told that I would generally be happier. It would seem odd and bad to think of now, change is scary and all that, but if it's going to generally be a more positive existence then I'd bite my nails and go for it.

#7 Posted by mattbbpl (11051 posts) -

If I/we had a happy existence, why not. I'd accept being a cow if I was told that I would generally be happier. It would seem odd and bad to think of now, change is scary and all that, but if it's going to generally be a more positive existence then I'd bite my nails and go for it.

sune_Gem
I'm telling you right now that you'd be happier of you signed over all your belongings to me. :-)
#8 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

mattbbpl

I'm telling you right now that you'd be happier of you signed over all your belongings to me. :-)

Scientific evidence please.

#9 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
If resistance were futile.
#10 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -
Can't say I'm a fan of instrumentality.
#11 Posted by Celldrax (14836 posts) -

Perhaps it's because I've seen End of Evangelion......but no.

And besides, I value the ability to think for myself.

#12 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6878 posts) -
Nope. I value individuality.
#13 Posted by mattbbpl (11051 posts) -

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

sune_Gem

Awwww.... That wasn't part of the deal!
#14 Posted by KiIIyou (27157 posts) -
Or that poofy cashmere, that's prolly better.
#15 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"] I'm telling you right now that you'd be happier of you signed over all your belongings to me. :-)mattbbpl

Awwww.... That wasn't part of the deal!

Then the deal's off!

#16 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

I get being able to think for yourself is cool, but it's also why we have mental illness in this world. If there were a collective hive mind, you wouldn't need to have free thought because you'd automatically act in the collectives best interest. Also kuddos to the people that got the evangelon reference that I used to come up with this question.

#17 Posted by megagene (23037 posts) -
I'd try it for a while if I could go back to being my individual self if I didn't like it.
#18 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29925 posts) -
Have you been watching NGE Yusuke? :P
#19 Posted by ScorpionTroll (810 posts) -

[QUOTE="ScorpionTroll"]

No.

Yusuke420

Why? If everyone thought about and valued the same things, it'd be the end of war, poverty, and violence.

It's not worth losing what makes you human.

#20 Posted by d_parker (1725 posts) -

[QUOTE="ScorpionTroll"]

No.

Yusuke420

No for me.

If everyone thought the same, what'd be the point of existing?

It's the differences that make it worthwhile.

#21 Posted by KiIIyou (27157 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="ScorpionTroll"]

No.

d_parker

No for me.

There's always adventure!
#22 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

Have you been watching NGE Yusuke? :Pchessmaster1989
Surprisingly, I have only ever seen "End of Evangelion". I'll buy the remaster though once they have all been released because I have heard the entire series is amazing.

#23 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="ScorpionTroll"]

No.

d_parker

No for me.

To further the cause of humanity would be a worthy reason to live, if everyone had this single goal and no earthly desires, I believe that we could have moon bases and clean fuel alternatives by now.

#24 Posted by mrbojangles25 (32127 posts) -

yes, provided we are free to still be individuals, i.e. listen to music we like, enjoy games we like, etc.

in other words, being at peace with every other human and having empathy for all things, yet still being able to pursue our wants.

Still...its tempting to pursue a hive mind just for the pool of knowledge we'd all have, the ability to advance the human race, and end all suffering.

#25 Posted by mrbojangles25 (32127 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="ScorpionTroll"]

No.

d_parker

No for me.

I dont think humans would lose individual identity if we were a hive mind, we are too special for that. We would identify as one race, one group, maybe even one being on certain issues, but on the day to day basis we would be free to pursue our wants and indulge our differences.

Think of it like this: some days you might want tea, some days you might want coffee, but either way youre still the same person of the same mind, and youre not at war with yourself. Now just imagine that compartamentilization but on a global scale with all our brothers and sisters. Harmony, yet enough individualism to make it a worthy sacrifice.

We are not insects, we are humans, and we would find a way to make it work.

#26 Posted by Postmortem123 (7718 posts) -

Have you been watching NGE Yusuke? :Pchessmaster1989

#27 Posted by airshocker (31227 posts) -

No fvcking way. Individualism is paramount. Nothing is more important.

#28 Posted by sonicare (53650 posts) -

Absolutely not.

#29 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

I get being able to think for yourself is cool, but it's also why we have mental illness in this world. If there were a collective hive mind, you wouldn't need to have free thought because you'd automatically act in the collectives best interest. Also kuddos to the people that got the evangelon reference that I used to come up with this question.

Yusuke420

But then that doesn't sound like free thought at all. What if the collective's best interest was you dying?

#30 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

I don't understand your question>?

#31 Posted by Lord_Omikron666 (4834 posts) -

Only if we can become Tang.

eg7j3a.jpg

#32 Posted by xscrapzx (6447 posts) -

Yusuke420
With that being said this world would be full of zombies and not humans. You would even be able to come up with this thread. So no, horrible idea.
#33 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23934 posts) -
we are the borg
#34 Posted by curono (7710 posts) -
No. It would be boring. And having sex would imply that I'd be scre**ng myself O_O
#35 Posted by British_Azimio (2453 posts) -
We already are, have been, and always will. It is the opposite belief that is the root of evil.
#36 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

We already are, have been, and always will. It is the opposite belief that is the root of evil.British_Azimio
I like the way you think :D

#37 Posted by Byshop (13371 posts) -

I was going to make an End of Evangelion joke but you guys beat me to it. :cry:

-Byshop

#38 Posted by josephl64 (4424 posts) -

I would never accept becoming a single entity...

#39 Posted by tocool340 (20670 posts) -
No. This entity would probably get bored and off itself when it realize its the only human left. I'd rather not throw my life away like that....
#40 Posted by British_Azimio (2453 posts) -
No. This entity would probably get bored and off itself when it realize its the only human left. I'd rather not throw my life away like that....tocool340
The 'only' human? You'd have to imagine the concept of multiple beings in the first place.