Would this be considered abuse by teacher (4 yrs. ago)?

  • 52 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by the_plan_man (1664 posts) -

This has still been weighing on my heart for four years, and I wonder if this is considered emotional abuse by a teacher of mine four years ago, and has scarred me over the past few years. I took a chemistry class, and I wasn't doing very well. My final score ended up being 57%. I went in to ask him whether or not that was close enough to pass and he started shouting at me at the top of his lungs "NO!!!!!!!!!!!" and was red in the face the entire time, talking about how I didn't "deserve" the grade for probably ten minutes straight before calming down. He gave me some assignments to do to finally pass, but the amount and excess of screaming was insane. What do you think?

#2 Posted by superbuuman (3467 posts) -

No, if screaming is all you cop then you seriously need to harden up. Ever thought because of your laziness /lack of concentration he had to do additional work just to get you to pass?. :P

#3 Posted by -Blasphemy- (3309 posts) -

if you are still traumatized about then yes. but im not sure there is anything you can do about it now? or can you.

#4 Edited by hippiesanta (10012 posts) -

@the_plan_man:

No.... No NOOO .... (I got worst than that)

when I was 6-9 years old (4 years period)

a fat widow (husband dead of stroke but she said a demon choke him) Misandry female teacher use to bully all the male kids at school .... and she happens to be in charge of my class .... the worst part is I was pick by her all the time because I was outspoken straight A ... and annoyingly outwit her all the time .... my head was hit by her wooden stick (more like a staff/sword) .... my lips was strike by rubberband ..... and I dont have internet to cry on. It was 1981-1984.

Sometimes she cry alone behind my classroom and fight /slap with other female teacher. When I was in a high school ..... I found out that she was taken to a mental assylum ... Her only son pass away because of measle and she run around naked everywhere ..... karma bites

But In highschool .... I was bullied by a some teachers ...I think he hate me because of my race. But it doesnt stop me to do well in class.

private College .... I was bullied again by some teacher .... and this time I really breakdown and start hating everyone .... and it really effect my study .... I failed

working years as a flight attendant .... day one ... was bullied again by a senior collegue male and female ........

I've learn that bully is partly is because of my race ... a minority race and a nerdy person who listen to metal music ....... and all those bully i've mention above are brown ...... lol

I still love brown people btw

#5 Posted by jasean79 (2458 posts) -

No, that just makes him a teacher with a bad temper.

#6 Edited by 10854 (116 posts) -

@the_plan_man: you could have reported him to the ethics committee for how you were treated but don't think it qualifies as abuse.

#7 Posted by thegerg (16405 posts) -

Why does the fact that it was 4 years ago matter?

#8 Posted by GazaAli (24256 posts) -

@thegerg said:

Why does the fact that it was 4 years ago matter?

My guess that it's intended to demonstrate how the incident has supposedly left a scar on his heart/conscious by virtue of the fact that it is still weighing on him after such a relatively long period of time.

Is that good enough for you? If so then its time to stop violently masturbating now.

#9 Edited by jasean79 (2458 posts) -

@GazaAli said:


Is that good enough for you? If so then its time to stop violently masturbating now.

#10 Posted by Xeno_ghost (696 posts) -

Maybe it was just a wake up call, get over it.

#11 Edited by GazaAli (24256 posts) -
@jasean79 said:

@GazaAli said:


Is that good enough for you? If so then its time to stop violently masturbating now.

Ima save this for later

#12 Posted by LJS9502_basic (153514 posts) -

Eh move on dude....raising a voice isn't really abuse. Kind of an unprofessional behavior on his part though.

#13 Edited by Master_Live (16144 posts) -

Ummmmm, I probably would have to be there to see how exactly it happened but yes, I think it could be considered abuse.

#14 Posted by Sword-Demon (7001 posts) -

Getting yelled at is emotional abuse now?

I think you need to toughen up a bit.

#15 Edited by GreySeal9 (25991 posts) -

It's definitely not abuse, but assuming you didn't do anything rude, treating you like that was wrong. Students are going to fail sometimes and it's not always because of laziness. To get all bent out of shape about it shows that the teacher doesn't have the appropriate temperament for his job.

That being said, his outburst might have not been about you at all. He could have been dealing with something else and just took his anger and frustration out on you.

BTW: if some of the callous dumb fucks on this forum try to tell you that you deserved to be yelled at, just ignore them.

#16 Edited by GreySeal9 (25991 posts) -

@superbuuman said:

No, if screaming is all you cop then you seriously need to harden up. Ever thought because of your laziness /lack of concentration he had to do additional work just to get you to pass?. :P

You have no idea if he was failing due to laziness/lack of concentration or whether he was failing because of something else, so kindly STFU.

#17 Edited by JustPlainLucas (75269 posts) -

I'm almost wondering if something else happened that caused this incident to continue to affect you. Like most people already said, you should let it go, but if it's still bothering you, you should really consider getting some psych help.

#18 Posted by pyro1245 (1083 posts) -

Haha you must have been really bad a chem, or you didn't try. Either way you shouldn't have been allowed to pass with a 57%. As for the screaming, I would have probably walked away. You got lucky if all you needed to do was endure 10 minutes of screaming to get your teacher to bring you from a failing grade to a passing one.

#19 Posted by Riverwolf007 (24436 posts) -

if you think that's bad i skipped a few mins of a period to go to the store and get some lunch and the teacher whose class i was late for sent one of the school bullys to threaten me with an ass kicking for doing it.

i bloodied his nose right there in the classroom and sent him off to the bathroom then sat down and calmly ate the shit i got from the store.

she couldn't even report it because she was the one that sent the poor kid after me.

that dude was a senior and outweighed my by at least 70 pounds too.

you just need to find a way to get something positive out of the experience.

facing down that guy and sending him off bleeding to the bathroom all while the person who sicced them on me watched was one of the things that set the tone for my dealings with injustice for the rest of my life.

if you can find the angle is which you learn something out of this you will be ok.

#20 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (10133 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

No, that just makes him a teacher with a bad temper.

#21 Posted by dave123321 (34484 posts) -

Need more info

#22 Posted by LJS9502_basic (153514 posts) -

@Riverwolf007 said:

if you think that's bad i skipped a few mins of a period to go to the store and get some lunch and the teacher whose class i was late for sent one of the school bullys to threaten me with an ass kicking for doing it.

i bloodied his nose right there in the classroom and sent him off to the bathroom then sat down and calmly ate the shit i got from the store.

she couldn't even report it because she was the one that sent the poor kid after me.

that dude was a senior and outweighed my by at least 70 pounds too.

you just need to find a way to get something positive out of the experience.

facing down that guy and sending him off bleeding to the bathroom all while the person who sicced them on me watched was one of the things that set the tone for my dealings with injustice for the rest of my life.

if you can find the angle is which you learn something out of this you will be ok.

I don't think assault is the proper reaction dude....

#23 Posted by dave123321 (34484 posts) -

Like did you wait till the class was over for the semester to talk to him

#24 Posted by dave123321 (34484 posts) -

But yeah it wasn't abuse. Just large unprofessionalism

#25 Posted by foxhound_fox (91403 posts) -

Abuse is on-going/repetitive.

Yelling at you once isn't abuse... it just means you upset him (either he invests a lot in his students and gets emotionally charged when they don't do well, or he has a bad temper and doesn't like being approached).

Get over it and move on.

#26 Posted by dave123321 (34484 posts) -

Like why were you doing bad. Was this at the end of the semester. Did you talk to him earlier if this was at the end of the semester. I want to know I want to know

#27 Posted by LJS9502_basic (153514 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

Like why were you doing bad. Was this at the end of the semester. Did you talk to him earlier if this was at the end of the semester. I want to know I want to know

Curiosity killed the cat dave....

#28 Posted by dave123321 (34484 posts) -

Satisfaction brought him back

#30 Edited by LJS9502_basic (153514 posts) -
@dave123321 said:

Satisfaction brought him back

Do you really want to be a zombie cat dave?

#31 Posted by GreySeal9 (25991 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

Like why were you doing bad. Was this at the end of the semester. Did you talk to him earlier if this was at the end of the semester. I want to know I want to know

While it would be interesting to know why he was failing, I'm not sure what difference this would make. There's no excuse for blowing up like that.

#32 Posted by dave123321 (34484 posts) -

@GreySeal9: oh I'm aware about that. I'm just curious

#33 Edited by Korvus (9304 posts) -

He was just preparing you for when you get a real job, decide to slack off and your boss "invites you to his office".

#34 Edited by thegerg (16405 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@thegerg said:

Why does the fact that it was 4 years ago matter?

My guess that it's intended to demonstrate how the incident has supposedly left a scar on his heart/conscious by virtue of the fact that it is still weighing on him after such a relatively long period of time.

Is that good enough for you? If so then its time to stop violently masturbating now.

"My guess that it's intended to demonstrate how the incident has supposedly left a scar on his heart/conscious by virtue of the fact that it is still weighing on him after such a relatively long period of time."

If that's the case: OP, the fact that something does or does not weigh on you emotionally does not determine whether or not something is abuse.

"Is that good enough for you?"

Is what good enough for me? Your speculation?

"If so then its time to stop violently masturbating now."

...what...?

#35 Posted by thegerg (16405 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

Abuse is on-going/repetitive.

Yelling at you once isn't abuse... it just means you upset him (either he invests a lot in his students and gets emotionally charged when they don't do well, or he has a bad temper and doesn't like being approached).

Get over it and move on.

"Abuse is on-going/repetitive."

No all of it. The fact that something only happens once doesn't mean that it's not abuse.

#36 Posted by foxhound_fox (91403 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Abuse is on-going/repetitive.

Yelling at you once isn't abuse... it just means you upset him (either he invests a lot in his students and gets emotionally charged when they don't do well, or he has a bad temper and doesn't like being approached).

Get over it and move on.

"Abuse is on-going/repetitive."

No all of it. The fact that something only happens once doesn't mean that it's not abuse.

Thank you Mr. Semantics.

#37 Posted by thegerg (16405 posts) -

@foxhound_fox: Semantics has nothing to do with it. Your post was BS.

#38 Edited by foxhound_fox (91403 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@foxhound_fox: Semantics has nothing to do with it. Your post was BS.

You were arguing the wording of my post. That is semantics.

#39 Posted by Riverwolf007 (24436 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

if you think that's bad i skipped a few mins of a period to go to the store and get some lunch and the teacher whose class i was late for sent one of the school bullys to threaten me with an ass kicking for doing it.

i bloodied his nose right there in the classroom and sent him off to the bathroom then sat down and calmly ate the shit i got from the store.

she couldn't even report it because she was the one that sent the poor kid after me.

that dude was a senior and outweighed my by at least 70 pounds too.

you just need to find a way to get something positive out of the experience.

facing down that guy and sending him off bleeding to the bathroom all while the person who sicced them on me watched was one of the things that set the tone for my dealings with injustice for the rest of my life.

if you can find the angle is which you learn something out of this you will be ok.

I don't think assault is the proper reaction dude....

dude.

an authority figure sent a huge kid to kick my ass... in the middle of study hall...in front of everyone.

now guess how many times that happened after i sent him off bleeding?

zero times.

at the time i didn't think very much about it but reflecting now as an adult i can hardly even believe it.

a teacher sent a kid after me.

how fucked up is that?

imagine what that experience would have been like if i was not the egotistical overconfident asshole i am and just cowered?

hell, the whole thing is one of the reasons why i am an overconfident egotistical asshole.

looking back almost nothing could have been better for me.

not counting not going to a school where the teachers use other students as enforcers. lulz.

#40 Posted by dave123321 (34484 posts) -

I want to be a zombie cat

Make me a zombie cat, tc

#41 Edited by Byshop (13583 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@thegerg said:

@foxhound_fox: Semantics has nothing to do with it. Your post was BS.

You were arguing the wording of my post. That is semantics.

Actually your first post nit-picking over the specific definition of the word "abuse" was to the op was a semantic argument. You understood what the guy meant, but you chose to harp on his use of that specific word. And on top of that you got it wrong. If I kick you in the balls, it's still abuse even if I only do it once. So I find it hilarious that when someone corrects you over literally the same word you whine that it's a semantic argument.

To anyone who thinks the teacher overreacted to nothing: Asking a teacher to change your grade because you want a higher grade than you deserve for the work that you did is a pretty incredibly shitty thing to do. It demonstrates an astounding lack of common sense and an overabundance of entitlement. If I were a teacher and a student had the gall to make such a clueless request, I wouldn't yell or lose my temper but my response would not be kind.

-Byshop

#42 Posted by dave123321 (34484 posts) -

Like how did the teacher scream like did he scream uncontrollably

Like what I want to know

Is the tc the best judge

I don't know who what it's all up to the question

Like how if is there more

Or was

#43 Posted by thegerg (16405 posts) -

@foxhound_fox: No, I'm arguing the meaning of your post.

#44 Posted by dave123321 (34484 posts) -

Like does physical abuse have to be on going for it to be abuse rather then just assault. Obviously both being within the same ballpark of badness

Like is that the thing with what abuse is

#45 Posted by GreySeal9 (25991 posts) -

@Byshop said:

To anyone who thinks the teacher overreacted to nothing: Asking a teacher to change your grade because you want a higher grade than you deserve for the work that you did is a pretty incredibly shitty thing to do. It demonstrates an astounding lack of common sense and an overabundance of entitlement. If I were a teacher and a student had the gall to make such a clueless request, I wouldn't yell or lose my temper but my response would not be kind.

-Byshop

I taught last semester and I didn't really care when students asked those kind of questions. I understand that students get desperate about their grades and don't always say the most sensible things when they are anxious.

Now if the student was being lazy all semester and then asked such a question, that's a different story, but even then I would just feel a twinge of irritation.

#46 Posted by BranKetra (50396 posts) -

At the very least, I say academic teachers should not yell at students. That man acted terribly unprofessionally.

You could give more details for a more informed opinion.

#47 Edited by Shmiity (5392 posts) -

I did shitty in Chemistry, too. 67%. Thats funny, my chem teacher got in trouble because she called me retarded in class, and said that I should get checked for "learning disabilities". Ouch. This was in front of everyone. (6 years ago, now. Highschool)

Did you complain about your 57? If you legitimately sucked, you should just own up to it. Kids complain about grades too much. I'm glad you were able to be given extra work to pass, but if your grade is that bad, you should have kick-started the "help me" machine earlier in the semester.

#49 Posted by the_plan_man (1664 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

Like why were you doing bad. Was this at the end of the semester. Did you talk to him earlier if this was at the end of the semester. I want to know I want to know

Lack of understanding of the material....mostly (I skipped several small assignments as well, something I will learn to never do again). He screamed at another student who had a lower grade to drop his class uncontrollably. I did not talk to him earlier.

#50 Edited by lamprey263 (26461 posts) -

He's got every right to be frustrated with you and people like you that can't put in the proper effort to pass his class, because in the end they just blame teachers as if it's their fault that students can't work hard enough. That's his livelihood, and you darn kids threaten it by not paying attention, not reading your text books, not doing the homework.

But you should have reported him, because for your own good he probably should have failed you, and not doing so has done you irreparable harm.