Worst shipping company ever...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by 69ingChimpmunks (149 posts) -

Bought a 2DS and a memory card for nearly 140 bucks on Amazon. 2 days later it was still preparing and didn't ship out but it was due on the 24th. I messaged Amazon and they gave me free one day shipping, Which went out at 7pm. The area it shipped from was just an hour away from my town so I figured great, I'd get my package today.

What happens? UPS sends it an hour away in another direction...Seriously? What company does that? I have ordered dozens of times and have NEVER had that happen. So instead of getting my item today, I needless have to wait until monday (3 lovely days) to get an item that should have been here today.

This is the last time I will ever use UPS to get something off Amazon. I'll make damn sure it's shipped via USPS or Fed Ex, who actually deliver early and don't screw you over. I swear to god if it's not here by monday, I'll make them pay for the entire damn thing.

#1 Edited by Iszdope (9579 posts) -

69 dude!

Edit: again, disturbing.

#2 Edited by 4myAmuzumament (1746 posts) -

it's really just Nintendo working with UPS to punish people like you who didn't buy the real 3DS.

#3 Edited by GoogleAndroid (144 posts) -

It's Christmas. Shipping companies are swamped. Cut them a break.

#4 Edited by ferrari2001 (16768 posts) -

apparently you've never shipped via Beaver or Old Dominion they are easily far worse than UPS or FedEx.

Also shipping on UPS and FedEx's busiest day of the year and acting surprised when they make a mistake. You sir are an idiot.

#5 Posted by always_explicit (2677 posts) -

yeah, its christmas man.

#6 Posted by airshocker (28884 posts) -

What you don't understand is that these packages don't leave Amazon distribution directly to you. They go to a UPS hub(processing center) which puts it either on a semi-truck destined to another local hub or puts it on a delivery truck that operates in your neighborhood.

So yes, your package could definitely go in another direction and then come back towards you. It's not a hard concept to figure out.

#7 Edited by always_explicit (2677 posts) -

What you don't understand is that these packages don't leave Amazon distribution directly to you. They go to a UPS hub(processing center) which puts it either on a semi-truck destined to another local hub or puts it on a delivery truck that operates in your neighborhood.

So yes, your package could definitely go in another direction and then come back towards you. It's not a hard concept to figure out.

I think its just that "as the crow flies" mentality everybody develops when they are looking forward to a package arriving. I worked in distribution for a couple of years, one of the largest supermarket chains in the UK. Its shocking how many processes these items go to before reaching people doors and I feel that a little bit more patience would go a long way, particularly at this time of year. Also there is a tonne of pressure on these guys.

#8 Posted by lamprey263 (22885 posts) -

what shipping option did you initially go with?

#9 Edited by Flubbbs (2918 posts) -

it will be there monday, quit your crying.. your package gets thrown on a semi trailer at amazon with thousands of other packages with one day shipping. the reason its going in the opposite direction is because it all has to be sorted out at a shipping hub... and 7pm is too late to receive a next day order.. amazon has cut off times that have to be met in order to deliver on time.

#10 Edited by dave123321 (33672 posts) -

The flow of shipping is common

PLUS it's the holidays. Need to factor that in and give them a pass

#11 Edited by dave123321 (33672 posts) -

PLUS PLUS PLUS you are getting it on time on the original planned date. Which is like ALL that you can ask for

#12 Edited by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

What, did you think they'd dispatch someone to personally drive from the warehouse with just your package to deliver it to you? You didn't think it would have to go through UPS's distribution hubs first?

#13 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

When you buy something online, do you seriously think that they just put your one package on a delivery truck, ship it straight to your house, and call it a day? Your package hitches rides onto much larger delivery convoys. This is why shipping is as cheap as it is, your package is just tagging along as part of a gargantuan combination of orders.

#14 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

What, did you think they'd dispatch someone to personally drive from the warehouse with just your package to deliver it to you? You didn't think it would have to go through UPS's distribution hubs first?

It does seem counter productive when I see via my tracking a package go from Miami to the USPS distribution center in Tampa to only get 50miles from my apartment.

#15 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

@worlock77 said:

It does seem counter productive when I see via my tracking a package go from Miami to the USPS distribution center in Tampa to only get 50miles from my apartment.

Apparently you don't understand the nature of distribution systems then.

#16 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

@worlock77 said:

It's stupid. They can have a select group of individuals, or a smaller hub for mail within a particular radius that doesn't require crossing almost the entire state.

#17 Edited by Murderstyle75 (4165 posts) -

If you ever saw the UPS distribution system from the inside, you would never want to use UPS. I worked there for 5 years and would never trust them with an order.

#18 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (14375 posts) -

If you ever saw the UPS distribution system from the inside, you would never want to use UPS. I worked their for 5 years and would never trust them with an order.

This. I remember working for UPS for a summer--or as it's known around there, Under Paid Slaves--and the way packages are treated there is almost criminal. Overloading trucks, standing on packages to load them higher, broken parcels, the list is almost endless

#19 Posted by airshocker (28884 posts) -

@worlock77 said:

@Fightingfan said:

@worlock77 said:

It's stupid. They can have a select group of individuals, or a smaller hub for mail within a particular radius that doesn't require crossing almost the entire state.

Do you know how much facilities cost? Look it up. Then compare that to how much it costs to fill up a truck's fuel tank. Having gigantic facilities in specific parts of each state and then simply paying fuel costs is FAR more cheaper than having countless smaller facilities that now need to be staffed and maintained.

#20 Edited by foxhound_fox (87413 posts) -

Lol, that's not bad at all. You have no fucking clue what "bad" shipping is.

I work for a concession supply company and we use DHL/Loomis for one of our national customers and they have, on multiple occasions, split up a multi-piece shipment and the customer, on one side of Canada, had some of their shipment sent to the other side of Canada (i.e. Calgary and Nova Scotia).

And your issue is just a statistic. UPS is such a massive carrier, that they could just write it off as a mere thousandth of a percent mistake.

We've also had problems with other carriers destroying $16,000 pieces of equipment and then trying to pass the buck and claim we shipped it out in that state.

#21 Edited by Murderstyle75 (4165 posts) -

@hallenbeck77:

Of course and since the majority of the sorts are performed by inexperienced part time workers, none of them really care. Its pretty much the same kind of mentality of a fast food worker. You cannot issue a $150 to $200 paycheck and expect any real quality. When I worked there, the turnover rate was so bad that it was like you were in a new building every month.

The drivers and clerks put on a very good image because they have been there a long time and are paid very well. The rest of the company is completely fucked though except for the minority who works a second job and has a goal at becoming a driver.

#22 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@airshocker said:

@Fightingfan said:

@worlock77 said:

@Fightingfan said:

@worlock77 said:

Do you know how much facilities cost? Look it up. Then compare that to how much it costs to fill up a truck's fuel tank. Having gigantic facilities in specific parts of each state and then simply paying fuel costs is FAR more cheaper than having countless smaller facilities that now need to be staffed and maintained.

Yeah, because creating jobs is a bad thing >.>

You have a point :P

#23 Posted by MysteryJ0ker (93 posts) -

@airshocker said:

@Fightingfan said:

@worlock77 said:

@Fightingfan said:

@worlock77 said:

Yeah, because creating jobs is a bad thing >.>

You have a point :P

Start up a business and let's see you keep that mentality. You wouldn't and realize just how much resources additional departments would take up.

#24 Posted by thegerg (14728 posts) -

@worlock77 said:

@Fightingfan said:

@worlock77 said:

They certainly can. And, they would if it made sense.

#25 Edited by GazaAli (22493 posts) -

First world problems.

#26 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

First world problems.

Just made cuz u don't get free 2-day shipping via amazon prime.