worst experience with customer service at restaurants

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

My top 3

A girl I went on a date with wanted to go to hooters because she had never been. I am not a fan of this restaurant, the girls who work there are obnoxious often. I have seen naked women in person enough on my own time not to go crazy, and the food is bland. Anyway we eat and it is time to pay. I pay for me and my date with my card and as i reach to tip with cash, the waitress says "you know your supposed to tip right" and storms off with my card....it was extremely awkward.

Another time I was in SC and went to steak n shake, the waitress walked up to take my order. I ordered a burger with no cheese, but when I got it there was cheese. The waitress was deaf, so I tried to be as nice as possible and I felt bad telling her she got my order wrong. She was adament that she heard me say I wanted cheese, and you know when your trying to be nice but it makes you sound ruder to the other person....that happened. she took it back and i sw her pointing at me and laughing talking to the cooks, which made me uncomfortable. Anyway I got the burger back the lady kind of dropped it and walked away, and then my milkshake came to me spilt over. I paid at the counter but did not tip, and the manager looked at me and said, "no tip man?".

Lastly at hooters, a waitress who was giving me a hard time all night begged my date for a tip. She guit tripped the girl, and when I came around the waitress turned to me and said "karma will sort you out". wtf

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

So basically a tip has ceased to be the generous act of a satisfied customer, it somehow became an unalienable right of the staff/business. Lovely. But I'm curious, why would someone's girlfriend want her boyfriend to take her to hooters? That's kind of puzzling.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

@GazaAli: She heard good things about it, i told her it was a terrible place

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GazaAli

@Mercenary848 said:

Isn't it a fast food chain where waitresses dress semi-naked? That's what I was referring to. She must be a keeper if that's the case rofl

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Tipping is a joke... I really hate it in every way.

I have not tipped before and I have put few cents just to make my bill even though I mostly pay with credit card lol

You are right hooters is a crap place.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

I don't go into restaurants expecting much from customer service anyway. Even when something goes wrong I just accept it and tip anyway. Sometimes people just have bad days and not tipping is more reason to ruin a person's day.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

The "half-naked" claim is a bit overstated. They wear short-shorts and a sleeveless shirt/tank-top. The girls at Wingstop wear much less.

Speaking of which, I had my worst experience at Wingstop--the server assumed the change was here tip and didn't give me my money back. My wife sorted her out.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@Mercenary848 said:

Isn't it a fast food chain where waitresses dress semi-naked? That's what I was referring to. She must be a keeper if that's the case rofl

If that's "semi-naked" I'd hate to see you at the beach.

As for bad CS at restaurants, I've had some servers who are having bad days or are obviously on the verge of being fired, and generally bad service as a result, but nothing crazy bad. I just tip like 17 cents and be done with it.

I usually tip 15% if the service is up to my expectations (i.e. the average you expect from food service) and upwards of 25% if they exceed all expectations. The highest I've ever tipped was 30% at this Korean place that is now closed and gone, it was a husband and wife team and their service was the best I'd ever encountered (and the food was to die for).

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GazaAli

@foxhound_fox said:

@GazaAli said:

As for bad CS at restaurants, I've had some servers who are having bad days or are obviously on the verge of being fired, and generally bad service as a result, but nothing crazy bad. I just tip like 17 cents and be done with it.

I usually tip 15% if the service is up to my expectations (i.e. the average you expect from food service) and upwards of 25% if they exceed all expectations. The highest I've ever tipped was 30% at this Korean place that is now closed and gone, it was a husband and wife team and their service was the best I'd ever encountered (and the food was to die for).

I'm much disappointed. So this is how waitresses dress in hooters? Can't see how such a dress code would give Hooters its sexual image. Unless my view of the business is faulty in the first place.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

Can't really recall any bad experiences with customer service at restaurants. I've had less-than-attentive people here and there, but nothing that a quick "Oh, I actually ordered xyz" couldn't fix.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@GazaAli said:

I'm much disappointed. So this is how waitresses dress in hooters? Can't see how such a dress code would give Hooters its sexual image. Unless my view of the business is faulty in the first place.

It's sexual in that it has sexy looking young waitresses wearing skimpy shorts and tight fighting tank top...it's not a strip club though. Regarding their food most of it does suck but their wings are actually pretty damn good.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Renevent42 said:

It's sexual in that it has sexy looking young waitresses wearing skimpy shorts and tight fighting tank top...it's not a strip club though. Regarding their food most of it does suck but their wings are actually pretty damn good.

Most mid-range restaurants these days have pretty young women dressing in skimpy clothing. Like Earls and such. Better than Denny's but still $17.50-22.50 an entree.

tofu-lion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tofu-lion91
Member since 2008 • 13496 Posts

3 stories all relating to tips - seems to be responsible for a lot of the problems / arguments with customer service at restaurants. Tipping should be a display of gratitude for exemplary service, not mandatory - and employees shouldn't have to rely on them to make up their wage. They should be paid properly. The current tipping culture baffles me!

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

I've never really had one. I mean, regularly places like McDonalds and Wendy's will forget stuff (In which case I think they should have a stack of "sorry about that" certificates for something like a free small fry or $x off your next order if you had to drive all the way back there to get it) but that's not really bad customer service.

I guess the worst experience I've had is in an airport in Richmond BC, a few of my family members ordered turkey sandwiches that tasted absolutely foul, and when we went back, the person at the counter was not willing to give us a refund or exchange at all.

My sister was so hungry she was crying at that point (she was 8 or 9), and the lady was pretty nasty. Eventually we got a refund.

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

Somehow, I've gone 25 years and never had REALLY bad customer service in a restaurant. There have been instances when food took a while to come out or an order has been wrong (and rectified), but that's about it. I'm not sure how I have achieved this.

EDIT: as for the issue of tips, I am 100% against this concept. Now, this has made me quite unpopular at times and I have been made to feel like a party pooper or a Scrooge, but I have my (equally unpopular) reasons.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

@k2theswiss said:

I have not tipped before and I have put few cents just to make my bill even though I mostly pay with credit card lol

You do realize that the majority of a waiter's pay comes from tips, right? As long as the service is decent you should always tip 15-20%. Only a completely selfish dickbag doesn't tip.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By k2theswiss

@huggybear1020: I do tip and only bad ones get pennies. and I do take things like being busy ect into effect.

the reason tipping is a joke is just because their boss don't want to pay them shouldn't fall on the customers to give them comepletly random wages

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

@k2theswiss said:

@huggybear1020: I do tip and only bad ones get pennies. and I do take things like being busy ect into effect.

the reason tipping is a joke is just because their boss don't want to pay them shouldn't fall on the customers to give them comepletly random wages

If they paid the waiters a regular wage, the food would be 20% more expensive in order for the restaurant to remain profitable. My old college roommate owns a Mexican restaurant. He's told plenty of stories about the small profit margins and how on about 1 out every 4 to 5 days he operates at a loss. I know it's easy for someone who has never run a business to sit on their high pedestal and say that someone isn't paying their employees well enough.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 k2theswiss

Raise the prices, puts no tips on the door I say

Mexican place lol, From what i know very few ever survive

JustBeYourself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JustBeYourself
Member since 2012 • 686 Posts

@k2theswiss said:

You may feel that tipping is a "joke" but unless you want to change labor laws regarding how wait staff are remunerated then you should tip them.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#21  Edited By Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

Topic man is being owned. They say to work as a waiter you get to see people for who they are deep down. Your basically a living carpet for walking all over. If you don't want to tip, shine at it, you don't tip cause service was crap. If service was good but you didn't tip you shouldn't be eating at sit in restaurants because it's became more and more of a thing to do. Try McDonalds they give change.