Worst American president of the last 50 years?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MattDistillery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 MattDistillery
Member since 2010 • 969 Posts

In my time here I've seen 3 or 4 threads about the best American president but never one asking for the worst Post War president. (if you're not American and your voting can you say as I want to see if theres a major diffrence in American opinion and world opinion.)

Personaly I found it hard to pick between George Bush and Nixon but eventually leant to Nixon. Athlough how Bush got in for a second term baffles me.

Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Dylan_11
Member since 2005 • 11296 Posts
George Washington.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
Jimmy Carter
chathuranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 chathuranga
Member since 2003 • 3549 Posts
Obama
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

I would have to say George W. Bush.

Nixon gets too much hate because of watergate. While we're on the topic of presidents, the best one in the last 50 years is Lyndon Johnson (or Clinton). Way too much hate for Vietnam. His Great Society plays a major role into American life today.

berserker2389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 berserker2389
Member since 2010 • 4627 Posts
Obama *flame shield activated*
pero2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pero2008
Member since 2005 • 2969 Posts

Right now it's Carter but once Obamas term or terms end he will be the worst president.

MattDistillery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MattDistillery

Right now it's Carter but once Obamas term or terms end he will be the worst president.

pero2008

What Obama is doing is worse than Vietnam, Iraq, Watergate, Global stock market crash and global housing market collapse, Afghanistan, Korean War Etc?
I think it's hard to rate a Presidency untill a good bit after the term is over but as a European looking in Obama has came in at a very tougth time and is doing the best job he can in horrible circumstances.

Also I'l give credit for Nixon were it's due. He opened trade to China which helped facilitate the collapse of the USSR and set up the Enviromental protection agency.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#9 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

im going with obama, Obama , all he does is take vacations while our troops and police are out workin there buts off for him while he making gas prices higher , not helping the average person ,

hes just killing the markets and everything he touches ,

the world wil lbe broke thanks to him

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

Carter. Though Bush did not help matters much

Also Clinton letting 800,000 people die does not help him..

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DroidPhysX

I think people here fail to realize that Obama inherited when he took office. His job wasn't to magically wipe these problems away in 2 seconds.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

I think people here fail to realize that Obama inherited when he took office. His job wasn't to magically wipe these problems away in 2 seconds.

Hemmaroids

BP oil response.

Economic Recession.:| Which was far painful than the BP oil spill.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985f1128b98f
deactivated-5985f1128b98f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5985f1128b98f
Member since 2007 • 1914 Posts

The peanut farmer, Jimmy Carter.

Those were very dark days indeed.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Either Jimmy or Bush. I was actually around for Bush to see the damage he caused so I guess I'll go with him. He also marked the start of the Republicans being run by a bunch of useless neo-cons.
MattDistillery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MattDistillery

im going with obama, Obama , all he does is take vacations while our troops and police are out workin there buts off for him while he making gas prices higher , not helping the average person ,

hes just killing the markets and everything he touches ,

the world wil lbe broke thanks to him

mariokart64fan

Obama specifically is making Gas prices higher? Perhaps the most absurd thing I've been told this week. And Healthcare reform is a blocked attempt to 'help the average person', which ironically George Bush started with his Prescriptions policy (The best thing he did in his presidency Imho).

I'm not an Obama fan I think alot of what hes doing is Good and he's still making mistakes (Oil spill comes to mind but thats not entirely his fault he just handled it badly)in some areas but some of the hate he gets are for things completly out of his control. As for 'the world wil lbe broke thanks to him', when he took office the world went into a banking crisis left by previous goverments which is something he has literaly no control over and yet he managed to keep alot of iconic American companies going (Especially in terms of the Automobile indiustry). If anything there the lack of money is a legacy of George Bush, as I think Clintons administration made a budget surplus.

Mega-Mustaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mega-Mustaine
Member since 2010 • 2130 Posts

mariokart64fan

I stopped reading there. Obama doesn't raise the gas prices, bro.

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts
Obama.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DroidPhysX

Obama. th3warr1or

Why?

Tangmashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Tangmashi
Member since 2007 • 1093 Posts

Obama.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
Well, there has been no shortage of awful presidencies the past 50 years. I can't decide on the worst, but if I had to bring it down to two I'd pick Carter and Dubya. The Carter administration and the Bush 2.0 Administration (especially the first term) were profoundly incompetent.
th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"]Obama. DroidPhysX

Why?

He's a hypocrite and a liar who smooth-talks his way out of things.
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
Tough call. . . I would have to say either Reagan or Dubya. Maybe even Carter.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"]Obama. th3warr1or

Why?

You just described every politician. But back on topic, how is he a hypocrite and liar?

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"]Obama. th3warr1or

Why?

You've pretty much just described every president we've ever had.
majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts
This short sightedness is exactly why these threads are terrible. 4 years ago, most people would say "Bush is satan!!!!", and 8 years before that, people would say "Clinton is satan!!!!" Objectively, I'd say Carter.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 imaps3fanboy

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"][QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

Why?

-Sun_Tzu-

You've pretty much just described every politician we've ever had.

Fix'd

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 imaps3fanboy
[QUOTE="majoras_wrath"]This short sightedness is exactly why these threads are terrible. 4 years ago, most people would say "Bush is satan!!!!", and 8 years before that, people would say "Clinton is satan!!!!" Objectively, I'd say Carter.

Pretty much. A lot of older people I've talked too say the years under Carter were the worst of their lives.
superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

W. or Nixon.

Nixon was enormously corrupt, escalated a useless war, routinely lied to the American public and was generally just a racist, angry jackass.

W. started a useless war and enacted Medicare part D while simultaneously pushing through two of the largest tax cuts in U.S. history, destroying the budget surplus and putting the country on track for a debt emergency. He also greatly harmed the U.S.'s reputation internationally with his moronic go-it-alone doctrine.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
I don't think it's fair to say a prez was good or bad until about 10 years after the end of their last term. Even without that sentiment, I'd still say Carter.
kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kraychik
Member since 2009 • 2433 Posts

I'm not American. I think America's worst presidents have been Jimmy Carter and Barack Obama.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DroidPhysX

W. or Nixon.

Nixon was enourmously corrupt, escalated a useless war, routinely lied to the American public and was generally just a racist, angry jackass.

W. started a useless war and enacted Medicare part D while simultaneously pushing through two of the largest tax cuts in U.S. history, destroying the budget surplus and putting the country on track for a debt emergency. He also greatly harmed the U.S.'s reputation internationally with his moronic go-it-alone doctrine.

superfluidity

At least he nominated conservative supreme court justices.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 majoras_wrath

W. or Nixon.

Nixon was enourmously corrupt, escalated a useless war, routinely lied to the American public and was generally just a racist, angry jackass.

superfluidity
Nixon was one of the greatest presidents of the last 50, he had some of the more positively progressive policies of the time, launching programs like the EPA, desegregating schools, and thawing relations with the Russians and Chinese. He loses points for Watergate and Checkers, but overall he was a above-par president
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="superfluidity"]

W. or Nixon.

majoras_wrath

Nixon was one of the greatest presidents of the last 50, he had some of the more positively progressive policies of the time, launching programs like the EPA, desegregating schools, and thawing relations with the Russians and Chinese. He loses points for Watergate and Checkers, but overall he was a above-par president

Basically this. Ask anyone what's the first thing that comes to mind when you say 'Richard Nixon'. Either Watergate or Vietnam is the answer.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts

I'm not American. I think America's worst presidents have been Jimmy Carter and Barack Obama.

kraychik
Care to explain why Obama is one of the worst presidents?
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Worst President of my life-time has been Obama.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DroidPhysX

Worst President of my life-time has been Obama.

airshocker

Couldn't hold that Obama hate?

Title read: in the last 50 years....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

:cry: Someone doesn't like Obama! :cry: Someone has a differing opinion.

DroidPhysX

Fixed it for you.

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

Nixon was one of the greatest presidents of the last 50, he had some of the more positively progressive policies of the time, launching programs like the EPA, desegregating schools, and thawing relations with the Russians and Chinese. He loses points for Watergate and Checkers, but overall he was a above-par presidentmajoras_wrath

He only put the EPA in place as a reaction to the environmental movement out of political concerns. I've seen an interview with a former EPA administrator who said that Nixon had no clue what the EPA was even doing after it was created.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

:cry: Someone doesn't like Obama! :cry: Someone has a differing opinion.

airshocker

Fixed it for you.

Fixed what? I have a negative opinion on Obama. Not to mention you didnt address the topic title and didn't give a reason.

You shouldn't assume peoples opinions on things.

fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts

I guess i'd go with Carter, even though he meant well and simply got schellacked by events that were largely out of his control. Honorable mentions include JFK, who I feel was reckless, lacked discipline, and was wholly unsuited to be president, and Nixon, who let his setbacks turn him into a basket case and reportedly spent almost the entirety of the Yom Kippur War in a drunken stupor.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 majoras_wrath

[QUOTE="majoras_wrath"] Nixon was one of the greatest presidents of the last 50, he had some of the more positively progressive policies of the time, launching programs like the EPA, desegregating schools, and thawing relations with the Russians and Chinese. He loses points for Watergate and Checkers, but overall he was a above-par presidentsuperfluidity

He only put the EPA in place as a reaction to the environmental movement out of political concerns. I've seen an interview with a former EPA administrator who said that Nixon had no clue what the EPA was even doing after it was created.

And? Even if that was true, look at his other accomplishments and tell me that he was the "worst president".

Feel free to not like him, but I promise you there are better candidates for "worst president" (same goes for people choosing Obama before his 1st term has even ended :roll: )

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Fixed what? I have a negative opinion on Obama. Not to mention you didnt address the topic title and didn't give a reason.

DroidPhysX

Suuuure you do.

I did address the topic title, I can't comment on Presidents I haven't lived under. And the OP didn't ask for reason. Most people already know all the reasons I dislike Obama.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

:lol: at all the people picking Obama because he's the current President. Anyone who thinks his term has been worse than Carter's is out of their mind.

That happens with every president...the people who were saying Bush was the worst ever when he was in office were ridiculous too.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

airshocker

Suuuure you do.

I did address the topic title, I can't comment on Presidents I haven't lived under. And the OP didn't ask for reason. Most people already know all the reasons I dislike Obama.

Hold on, let me check on my ideologies and compare it to what Obama has done. (clearly sarcasm)

Yup, I have a negative opinion on him. Now, lets get passed the assumptions on people's opinions and state our reasons.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

:lol: at all the people picking Obama because he's the current President. That happens with every president...the people who were saying Bush was the worst ever when he was in office were ridiculous too. JML897

So we're not allowed to have legitimate problems with Obama's presidency?

MattDistillery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MattDistillery

:lol: at all the people picking Obama because he's the current President. Anyone who thinks his term has been worse than Carter's is out of their mind.

That happens with every president...the people who were saying Bush was the worst ever when he was in office were ridiculous too.

JML897

I think after the first term it was fairly safe to say he was an Idiot.

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Former_Slacker
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

[QUOTE="superfluidity"]

W. or Nixon.

majoras_wrath

This is very true; unfortunately, his paranoia got the best of him. Although it wasn't really possible for anyone but Nixon to go to China. If a Dem president did it, they would look like they were "weak on communism." On the other hand, a right wing Rep president wouldn't really consider it. Only somebody like Nixon, a more moderate Rep, could have done it without any real political consequence.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

[QUOTE="JML897"]:lol: at all the people picking Obama because he's the current President. That happens with every president...the people who were saying Bush was the worst ever when he was in office were ridiculous too. airshocker

So we're not allowed to have legitimate problems with Obama's presidency?

Having problems is one thing, saying he's the worst President of the past 50 years is another.

(I wasn't really talking about you since you said "in my lifetime" which I'm guessing only means 4 or 5 presidents)