World cup prediction/betting thread

#251 Posted by Aljosa23 (24843 posts) -

Question:

Why are there predictions of 2-0, etc. and then saying the team will win on a shootout?

#252 Posted by deeliman (2422 posts) -

@Aljosa23 We made new rules for the knockout stages. If games in the knockout stages get decided with penalties, the match is officially counted as a draw. But, since most people aren't gonna predict a draw (because its boring), we made it so that if it comes to penalties, you can also guess who wins those if it came down to it.

#253 Posted by johnd13 (8074 posts) -
#254 Edited by Aljosa23 (24843 posts) -
#255 Posted by deeliman (2422 posts) -
#256 Posted by elkoldo (1042 posts) -
@johnd13 said:

@deeliman: I'm sorry I yelled at you. :(

@deeliman said:

@johnd13 You are forgiven friend ;)

You two are setting me off my mind.I mean ,HOW CAN ANYONE YELL AT ANYONE ELSE IN THE CYBER WORLD ??????

Anyway...Germany 2 Brazil 1.

Bonus : Germans will kick some yellow asses in penalties.

#257 Posted by PcGamingRig (7083 posts) -

I am going to go:

Brazil 3-2 Germany

Germany on pens if it goes there.

#258 Posted by themajormayor (25743 posts) -

Germany 3 - 2 Brazil

Germany wins pens

#259 Posted by yokofox33 (29522 posts) -

DAS BOOT!!!!!

#260 Posted by Master_Live (14421 posts) -

13-0 Germany :P

#261 Posted by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

Lol haha our predictions just got raped.

#262 Posted by johnd13 (8074 posts) -

I don't think anyone on Earth could predict such a score.

#263 Edited by chaplainDMK (6814 posts) -

Que for all closet Nazi's to come out of hiding :D

#264 Posted by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

Correct. 10 points for you.

#265 Edited by elkoldo (1042 posts) -
@johnd13 said:

@jeager_titan said:

I don't think anyone on Earth could predict such a score.

Believe it or not ,28 people in Iran did.

Iran's national TV has been holding SMS prediction competition for every WC game they broadcast.For each game , people,using their cell phones , simply text the result that they predict to a pre-defined number.The rules of the competition are pretty much the same rules that we're using here( actually I got the idea which I offered for the knockout stage from there ! )

Out of about three million and seven hundred thousand people who took part in the competition tonight ,28 people predicted that Germany would win 7-1. I repeat ,only 28 people out over three million and a half ,predicted 7-1 :O

#266 Edited by elkoldo (1042 posts) -
@Master_Live said:

lol..Seriously ,you don't really need that " :P " you're avatar fully delivers all the mischievousness that comes with predicting 13-0.

I guess korvus too had mentioned that before, where you had replied to a topic about boobs.

Damn man ,you're avy is so hilarious.I can't help chuckling silently at it.

#267 Posted by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

Netherlands 2-1 Arg

Netherlands win shootout.

#268 Edited by airshocker (29384 posts) -

Brazil loses a soccer match and they destroy buses and start looting. America loses a soccer match and...

#269 Posted by deeliman (2422 posts) -

Updated Points

deeliman 26

PcGamingRig 16

elkoldo 20

Johnd13 32

themajormayor 25

Jeager_Titan 30

Netret0120 1

Aljosa23 3

dave123321 0

thehig1 1

Next match

Netherlands - Argentina

#270 Posted by themajormayor (25743 posts) -

Brazil loses a soccer match and they destroy buses and start looting. America loses a soccer match and...

True, no one gives a shit about America. I think it's cause Brazil have a rich culture and history with beautiful scenery and warm, passionate people etc. America is just a dump no one would miss.

#271 Posted by themajormayor (25743 posts) -

Netherlands 7-1 Argentina

Netherlands win on pens.

#272 Edited by SambaLele (5342 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@airshocker said:

True, no one gives a shit about America. I think it's cause Brazil have a rich culture and history with beautiful scenery and warm, passionate people etc. America is just a dump no one would miss.

Ridiculous. "Rich culture and history with beautiful scenery and wam, passionate people". I'm brazilian and see that you're truly ignorant about my country. Look into the Paraguayan War, look into what our bandeirantes did with native indians... just to name a few examples. Every country has it's flawed and good history points. The thing is that American society continuously developed and become more and more civilized (I'm talking about the country's people, internal affairs, etc., not international policy). Brazilian society though, is only evolving in the economical aspect, and even here, minimally.

Our soccer showed that it's displaying a bit of what brazilian society is nowadays: unscrupulous. Like a mirror's reflection of what we are today, the seleção acted on the edge of legality through the whole cup, or even breaking legality when they just could do it and go unpunished... just like my fellow brazilian citizens are acting in daily routine. The country has experienced economical improvements, but crime rates soar anyway, legal procedures, both civil and criminal, are in an all-time record. If the economy goes well, shouldn't the benefitial effects on social areas lead to the contrary of that? It's become a cultural problem.

And then, back on our soccer national team: eventually, actual quality would win over the brazilian jeitinho (which is the traditional belief that obeying the norm is a fool's thing, clever people break the law as often as possible, to get an advantage over others). That's what's happening in our political, social (and recently, even economical) areas, and with soccer we just experienced a glance at what that leads. We only got so far because of diving, violent play and the presence 1 truly talented player (and a couple reasonably good players like David Luiz). If you watched this game against germany, you'll see that without the use of violence and diving, and without one of the few players that got there by merit, my seleção simply couldn't handle an actual fair play game, and that's about it.

People burning buses is a sympton of how crazed everyone is about football here: it's an escape from the hard reality people live in, and one of the few reasons to feel proud of our nationality. It's got to the point of fanaticism. Of course I don't enjoy losing like this, but I really hope people take this as a wake up call. If news media even links a game's result to imminent workers strikes, bigger protests, and even to considerable direct effect in the presidential elections, you know that there's something really, really wrong with how that country's people feel both about a sport, that should be pure entertainment, and about actually important life matters.

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/poder/2014/07/1483203-apos-derrota-dilma-teme-prejuizo-na-economia-e-na-eleicao.shtml

#273 Posted by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

Netherlands win on pens.

Lol for real?

#274 Edited by johnd13 (8074 posts) -

Netherlands 2-1 Argentina

Oh and Neds on penalties. Can't go wrong with Crull.

#275 Posted by PcGamingRig (7083 posts) -

Argentina 2-2 Netherlands

Netherlands on penalties.

#276 Posted by elkoldo (1042 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

Netherlands win on pens.

Lol for real?

I ,for one ,ain't never seen mayor tell a joke.

Argentina 1 Holland 1

Argentina will ice Holland in penalties.

#277 Posted by elkoldo (1042 posts) -
@deeliman said:

Updated Points

deeliman 26

PcGamingRig 16

elkoldo 20

Johnd13 32

themajormayor 25

Jeager_Titan 30

Netret0120 1

Aljosa23 3

dave123321 0

thehig1 1

Next match

Netherlands - Argentina

@deeliman Hey what happened to Master's prize? I'd give him 25 points straight ,for predicting that result.(Though it didn't turn out to be exact ,it did deliver the point that Brazil would get their asses ice-capped ! )

#278 Posted by deeliman (2422 posts) -

Netherlands 4-1 Argentina (probably my most biased prediction yet XD)

Netherlands on shootouts

#279 Posted by Master_Live (14421 posts) -

No, no. I did that prediction after the game was like 4-0. I was just messing around. But thanks for the support @elkoldo :P

#280 Posted by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

Bump

#281 Edited by deeliman (2422 posts) -

Updated Points

deeliman 26

PcGamingRig 17

elkoldo 22

Johnd13 32

themajormayor 25

Jeager_Titan 30

Netret0120 1

Aljosa23 3

dave123321 0

thehig1 1

Next match

Netherlands - Brazil

#282 Posted by johnd13 (8074 posts) -

I'm going on vacation tomorrow and access to internet will be questionable so I'll make my predictions now.

Netherlands 1-0 Brazil, Brazil on penalties

and the final Germany 2-1 Argentina, Germans on penalties

#283 Edited by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

Netherlands 3-0 Brazil.

Netherlands on shootout.

#284 Edited by PcGamingRig (7083 posts) -

Brazil 2-1 Netherlands

Netherlands on penalties.

#285 Posted by deeliman (2422 posts) -

Netherlands 2-0 Brazil

Netherlands on shootouts

#286 Posted by themajormayor (25743 posts) -

Netherlands 2-1 Brazil

Neth on pens

#287 Posted by elkoldo (1042 posts) -

1-1

Holland penalty.

#288 Posted by Netret0120 (2084 posts) -

Holland victory.

5-1

#289 Posted by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

Just one more from Holland and I win.

#290 Posted by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

Yes. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

#291 Posted by Netret0120 (2084 posts) -

Jaeger Titan got it SPOT ON!

Still won $30 from a $10 because they won:-)

Germany victory tonight 2-0

#292 Posted by johnd13 (8074 posts) -

Yes. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

lol it's going to be a derby between you and me for the winner of the betting/prediction thread :P

I'm still counting on my 2-1 Germany, german pen

#293 Posted by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

Germany 2-1 Argentina

Germany on penalties.

#294 Posted by deeliman (2422 posts) -

Updated Points

deeliman 27

PcGamingRig 17

elkoldo 22

Johnd13 33

themajormayor 26

Jeager_Titan 32

Netret0120 2

Aljosa23 3

dave123321 0

thehig1 1

World Cup Final!

Germany - Argentina

#295 Posted by elkoldo (1042 posts) -

And finally ,my last prediction is :

0-0 => Argentina winning on penalties.

#296 Edited by PcGamingRig (7083 posts) -

I am going to go for an argentina 2-1 win simply because I want to see a decent messi performance. :)

Germany on pens if it gets there.

#297 Posted by themajormayor (25743 posts) -

Germany 2-0

German pens

#298 Edited by Netret0120 (2084 posts) -

Wir sind Die Weltmeisterschaft CHAMPIONS!!! DEUTSCHLAND ÜBER ALLES!

#299 Posted by deeliman (2422 posts) -

Updated Points

deeliman 27

PcGamingRig 17

elkoldo 22

Johnd13 34

themajormayor 27

Jeager_Titan 33

Netret0120 2

Aljosa23 3

dave123321 0

thehig1 1

Congratulations @johnd13 for winning the contest! I'm going to Barcelona for a week, but I will give you your prize when I get back. Just PM me your email adress.

#300 Posted by johnd13 (8074 posts) -

@deeliman: Oh I won! lol thanks. Kinda sad the WC is over, we had some good times. Congrats to @jeager_titan too!

I'm on vacation as well so I'll PM you sometime when I get back.