Woman dies after being refused medically necessary abortion (Ireland)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by l4dak47 (6838 posts) -

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

Darwin award.

MakeMeaSammitch

Are awared to people who stupidly kill themsleves... are all women that have children darwin award winners?

women that die because they don't have a medically needed abortion, yes.

......did you read the article? or even the title?
#102 Posted by sonicare (53607 posts) -

I haven't seen that many cases of "medically necessary" abortion. Those would typically only occur late and involve complications such as eclampsia or preeclampsia. THose are curative by having the birth of the fetus, but that could be done without an abortion. You could have an early c-section or something along those lines which would potentially spare both lives. I have seen that for high risk cases. It's possible, but I dont think it's as common as people would make it out to be.

#103 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

Darwin award.

MakeMeaSammitch

Are awared to people who stupidly kill themsleves... are all women that have children darwin award winners?

Except she was literally begging for an abortion. They didn't give her one despite the fetus having been miscarried. So basically the Doctor let her die.
#104 Posted by Audacitron (968 posts) -

Not possible. According to this recent Irish 'pro-life' video, nothing like this ever happens in Ireland.

http://www.youtube.com -Abortion never saves a woman's life

[QUOTE="michaelP4"]I keep on getting the impression of what I'm reading that Ireland is still a strong Catholic and conservative country. That couldn't be further from the truth. I live in Northern Ireland and I can tell you that the majority of the Irish population is against the Catholic church on many issues - abortion, sex outside of marriage, gay rights, priests being allowed to marry and the list goes on. Ireland is no longer the country it used to be in the 1930s - it's really not that different from the USA, the UK or any other modern Western liberal democracy. As for the story itself: awful. It's criminal that Irish and Northern Irish women have to go to Britain just to get an abortion. We can only hope it'll change some day when the politicians in Ireland and Northern Ireland quit hiding their heads in the sand on this issue.LJS9502_basic
Err...Northern Ireland is British...

Northern Ireland is the only part of the UK where the 1967 Abortion Act does not apply. If you need an abortion, you simply won't get one on anywhere the island, UK or Republic.

If anything I think religion is stronger in the North. There tend to be more fundamentalists. You'll find opposition to abortion is not just limited to Catholics.

#105 Posted by sonicare (53607 posts) -

If the fetus had miscarried and was retained, then technically, that's no longer an abortion. That's a medically necessary procedure: The fetus is dead. If that was the case, that doctor was seriously negligent and was involved in this woman's death. Most cases of miscarriage will involve a spontaneous delivery of the dead fetus, but there are cases where it most be removed with a surgical procedure. I dont know why anyone would object to that.

#106 Posted by Krelian-co (12720 posts) -

it's disgusting that anyone would put a life at risk (worse in this case, she actually died) because they think their religion is more important than the person's life

#107 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4553 posts) -

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

Ace6301

Except she was literally begging for an abortion. They didn't give her one despite the fetus having been miscarried. So basically the Doctor let her die.

Guess I need to read more articles.

:)

#108 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36989 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]women that die because they don't have a medically needed abortion, yes.

MakeMeaSammitch

Or even the title of the thread
#109 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4553 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] Except she was literally begging for an abortion. They didn't give her one despite the fetus having been miscarried. So basically the Doctor let her die.chaoscougar1

Or even the title of the thread

pish, I misread things occasionally.

#110 Posted by DroidPhysX (17093 posts) -
The conundrum that stumps the pro life stance.
#111 Posted by EmpCom (3451 posts) -
[QUOTE="Audacitron"]

Not possible. According to this recent Irish 'pro-life' video, nothing like this ever happens in Ireland.

http://www.youtube.com -Abortion never saves a woman's life

[QUOTE="michaelP4"]I keep on getting the impression of what I'm reading that Ireland is still a strong Catholic and conservative country. That couldn't be further from the truth. I live in Northern Ireland and I can tell you that the majority of the Irish population is against the Catholic church on many issues - abortion, sex outside of marriage, gay rights, priests being allowed to marry and the list goes on. Ireland is no longer the country it used to be in the 1930s - it's really not that different from the USA, the UK or any other modern Western liberal democracy. As for the story itself: awful. It's criminal that Irish and Northern Irish women have to go to Britain just to get an abortion. We can only hope it'll change some day when the politicians in Ireland and Northern Ireland quit hiding their heads in the sand on this issue.LJS9502_basic
Err...Northern Ireland is British...

Northern Ireland is the only part of the UK where the 1967 Abortion Act does not apply. If you need an abortion, you simply won't get one on anywhere the island, UK or Republic.

If anything I think religion is stronger in the North. There tend to be more fundamentalists. You'll find opposition to abortion is not just limited to Catholics.

Abortions are legal in the uk except n-ireland were only if medically needed or to protect the mental welfare of the mother